HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Decisions need to be made, but which ones?

Old
12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
B. Schenn and Simmer have been killing this team. They have been really bad most of the season. Any advanced stat will tell you this.

The Flyers the first 1/3 of the season top 6 has put them in a bad position. If they were an average scoring team they would be among the top teams in the league.

The defense statistically has been very good, Gus needs to be in for Mez who is by far the worst d-man on the Flyers.
Streit has been much worse than Mez, at least recently. I'd love to see him scratched for Gus.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You clearly seem to think the team's D looked like it does now when the trades went down. When the trades occured they had Pronger, Timonen, Mez (who, at the time, was rarely injured), Coburn, and Carle. They had what was considered one of the best D groups in the league. They had holes in the forward group that needed to be filled, not the D group. They HAD to focus on getting forwards.

Couturier is better defensively than Hamilton, so if you want to switch Couturier out for a guy who isn't as good at preventing goals, well, that's a weird way to improve the team.

They didn't have the cap space to afford FA forwards. That's why they had to trade for several cheap players. FA wasn't an option for good forwards.
I was literally just about to make a nearly identical response... people think they're so smart with their hindsight but forget to actually take into account what was reality at the time.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Giroux and Couturier are the present and future on offense. Laughton will be the third line center in the next two years which should provide us with one of, if not the best depth at center in the league. Other than that I have no clue what will happen to this team. Hartnell, Streit, and likely Lecavalier should probably be upgraded.

One of B. Schenn and VL need to be put on Giroux's wing full time for more than 1 or 2 games at a time. If Schenn(would be the best outcome) or Lecavalier could become a goal scoring threat with Giroux it would be very beneficial.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-VL-Voracek

or

Hartnell-Giroux-VL
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek

As for defense I dont think we make any major moves during the season. Hopefully there will be some players available in free agency this summer. Would Girardi make a good replacement for Timonen?Could we potentially upgrade Streit to a guy like Brian Campbell?
I'd love to see the lines be

Schenn-Giroux-Lecavelier
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Anyone not named Hartnell-Laughton-Simmonds

I'd do anything for them to find a way to get rid of Hartnell and Streit, although it's nearly impossible. If they're not in the playoff race at the trade deadline then try to get as much as possible for Timonen but if they are then just keep him and let him walk/retire in the offseason.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Why?
because you're not giving credit to Brodin for what he's dong for the wild, just like other people do with couturier.

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
good at least we would stop pretending being a good team, homer loses his job and hope snider can get someone who can build a solid team.

and on top of that we would have a 20years old established top pairing Dman.
So basically you want Brodin because he helps the team less than Couturier and it would get Homer fired...

LOL

Old
12-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So basically you want Brodin because he helps the team less than Couturier and it would get Homer fired...

LOL
no because this team without couts in that line would be awful offensivly.
and there would be no one to save homer.

do you expect from Brodin to be a center and Dman at the same time ?

Old
12-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Laughton makes B. Schenn expendable, plus I've never been a big fan of B Schenn.

Package him and his brother up for something. Unfortunately, I still don't think it would fix this team.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Laughton makes B. Schenn expendable, plus I've never been a big fan of B Schenn.

Package him and his brother up for something. Unfortunately, I still don't think it would fix this team.
I've been saying package the Schenns and maybe Simmonds for either Evander Kane or Max Pacioretty for a while.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I've been saying package the Schenns and maybe Simmonds for either Evander Kane or Max Pacioretty for a while.
While I would do that, it still doesn't change the fact that this defense is slow and terrible in transition/skating the puck out of our zone.

I'd love to see one of those 2 on Giroux's wing, but the problems start with our defense which is poorly constructed.

Which is why I'm not sure 1 trade like that would instantly fix our team.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
tuckrr

Wow overreaction? I wouldn't move anything right now, constant trading won't fix anything.

What we need is for Hartnell & voracek to sucking. That and Vinny to return and help schenn.

The only decision I want made right now, is who goes on Giroux's wing? B/c what we have now isn't inspiring...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:08 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
because you're not giving credit to Brodin for what he's dong for the wild, just like other people do with couturier.
I just said that I prefer Couturier to him and that I think he's in a favorable situation in Minny. I still think he's a good player, I just prefer Couturier. Regardless, it's still a stretch to believe Brodin over Couturier would make this team better.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
BringBackStevens

This team isn't going to be improved by big UFA signings or big trades.

The team has a pretty good young core that needs to be molded into a more balanced roster. For the most part, stay the course. Look to move some older players, sure. But there should be no more Streit and LeCavalier signings until this team is on the brink of a championship.

Small, under the radar, low risk high reward type signings and trades are fine. (i.e. Leino, Downie, etc). Smaller short term signings for 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing defensement, fine.

But trying to trade for or sign on the market top 4 defensemen and top 6 forwards is probably only going to backfire.

This team isn't as bad as it looks now, but it's also not that close to competing. It's crtical that management is savvy and makes smart decisions with contracts moving forward. It will be make or break if this team will be a contender or drift away over the next 2-3 years.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Here's 1 trade that will fix the team overnight.

Mark Streit for Duncan Keith.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I just said that I prefer Couturier to him and that I think he's in a favorable situation in Minny. I still think he's a good player, I just prefer Couturier. Regardless, it's still a stretch to believe Brodin over Couturier would make this team better.
couturier offensive game started to blossom only when he started playing with Downie and Read, Brodin started playing like that before he became Suter regular partner.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
While I would do that, it still doesn't change the fact that this defense is slow and terrible in transition/skating the puck out of our zone.

I'd love to see one of those 2 on Giroux's wing, but the problems start with our defense which is poorly constructed.

I agree. I'm not saying it would fix the team but it certainly makes them better and would potentially be a step in the right direction. Right now this team is all over the place. A deal like that would simplify some things and create a more solid foundation in which to build around IMO.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I agree. I'm not saying it would fix the team but it certainly makes them better and would potentially be a step in the right direction. Right now this team is all over the place. A deal like that would simplify some things and create a more solid foundation in which to build around IMO.
I think before Schenn gets traded he should really be tried on Girouxs LW for more than just a short handful of games when the team is struggling. Schenn has a pretty good shot and on his current line I don't think either Simmonds or Lecavelier are that great at setting him up to take advantage of it. Giroux NEEDS someone who can shoot to set up, Hartnell has no shot and Voracek forgot that he has a decent shot.

I just get the feeling that trading the Schenns right now would be something that we would regret in the future.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Curufinwe

Hartnell has more of shot than Voracek. See his goal in the Detroit game.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Hartnell has more of shot than Voracek. See his goal in the Detroit game.
Please be kidding..

Old
12-10-2013, 05:25 PM
flyersfromquebec

What do you think of L.Schenn, B.Schenn, Cousin, 1st 2015

for E.Kane and one of (Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Trouba)

Thats a 1st line LW and a 1-2 D in one trade.

flyersfromquebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfromquebec View Post
What do you think of L.Schenn, B.Schenn, Cousin, 1st 2015

for E.Kane and one of (Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Trouba)

Thats a 1st line LW and a 1-2 D in one trade.
So we get a big upgrade at forward and defense for only Cousins and a 1st... I wish, but no chance.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
flyersfromquebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So we get a big upgrade at forward and defense for only Cousins and a 1st... I wish, but no chance.
Kane dont have that much better stats then Schenn and they are 22 yo. But ok add hartnell and Im sure Winnipeg will at least conside it.

flyersfromquebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Psuhockey

The Flyers are in a precarious situation. They really don't have much to trade that they could get full value for. The Schenns have been underwhelming and not matching their hype. Simmonds and Voracek have value but would return a defenseman or sniper of equal quality. The Flyers would have to go young and unproven to get good value for those players and that comes with a high risk of blowing up much like the JVR deal. Also I am sure other clubs know how desperate the Flyers are and would be trying to swindle them such as asking for Laughton as a throw in for every deal. Add the fact that with the low cap every dollar in must be accompanied with a dollar out making a team full of overpriced players unable to move anybody. This is a mess.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
mypunkrock

Everyone needs to calm down.

Screwing with the roster year after year is the problem, not the solution. As folks have previously mentioned, big swings are not what this team needs.

Stay the course, see what becomes available. But we don't have enough depth at any position to do what some of you are suggesting.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Tripod

Trade Voracek and Grossmann for Buff and Frolik
Trade Simmonds for Kulikov and Mathias

Schenn Giroux Vinny
Downie Couts Read
Hartnell Mathias Frolik
Raffl Hall Rinaldo

Kimmo Buff
Streit Coburn
Kulikov Schenn

Voracek and Buff are both UFA's in 2.5 years. The 3rd line becomes the shutdown/ 2 way line. Couts line is pushed to become more offensive.

Last edited by Tripod: 12-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:52 PM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Trade Voracek and Grossmann for Buff and Frolik
Trade Sommonds for Kulikov and Mathias

Schenn Giroux Vinny
Downie Couts Read
Hartnell Mathias Frolik
Raffl Hall Rinaldo

Kimmo Buff
Streit Coburn
Kulikov Schenn

Voracek and Buff are both UFA's in 2.5 years. The 3rd line becomes the shutdown/ 2 way line. Couts line is pushed to become more offensive.
Why would either of those teams do those deals? Voracek and Simmonds have been brutal most of the year.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote