HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Snow's next move

Old
12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Snow's next move

Forgive me for starting another Islander trade thread, but I still think a move is coming.

My evidence:

1) Staple says he expects a goalie deal to happen soon. Staple is not Bob Mackenzie like hockey mind, but he is probably more plugged in then any other observer and he has had a nasty habit of calling deals weeks before they happened.

2) Grabner and Bailey are both playing like crud, and need a change of scenery.

3) The Isles need to open up roster spots, with Strome coming up, Lee at a PPG in the AHL, and Nelson outplaying basically every vet besides Tavares.

4) The Isles have a slew of excellent young defense prospects, but badly need gritty vets with size.

5) Snow's current impatience is evident.

6) Nielsen had a great start to the year, but the Isles have depth up the middle and could move him to address a need.

7) Isles have a few high profile impending UFAs (who may or may not be signed). Snow has been bad about cashing in on his impending UFAs, but I don't see him letting the likes of AMac and Vanek simply walk away.

I really have no idea what is happening next, but I'm open to thoughts.

Oh, and whatever happens, I am reasonably confident (or as confident as I can be given that I never know what Snow is up to) that it will not result in: 1) Strome being moved to Toronto, or Liles coming to Long Island,2) Isles having any interest in Bourque, Diaz, or Leblanc, 3) Isles sending away Okposo, Tavares, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, Czikas, Martin, Hamonic or de Haan (the future core of the team). 4)Isles overpaying for Craig Anderson.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
I very much doubt that Craig Anderson is in play; Lehner isn't ready to be a starter

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Islanders to go for Miller if they really want a goalie?

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I very much doubt that Craig Anderson is in play; Lehner isn't ready to be a starter

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Islanders to go for Miller if they really want a goalie?
Nope.

Impending UFA.

I agree with you in regard to Ottawa.

Old
12-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Cyborg Yzerberg
Sitting on a Cloud

vCash: 50
You need a veteran D, eh?

The Red Wings submit Kyle Quincey for an actual button.

Cyborg Yzerberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
You need a veteran D, eh?

The Red Wings submit Kyle Quincey for an actual button.

We need a COMPETENT physical veteran. Not another castoff.....

Old
12-10-2013, 04:38 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post

1. Season almost 1/2 over and the isles at the bottom of the conference, have little realistic chance at a playoff spot

2. 34 yr old Miller makes $6.7m per and is a ufa in July 2014.

3. Wang with his internal budget, want to keep the elite 29 yr old Vanek.

I am not ragging on you, but how exactly does Miller to LI make sense for the isles?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xECK29x

Snow needed to make a move a month ago, seasons over.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tempest2i
The Gloaming

What sort of goalie are you hoping the Isles pick up?

Future RFA, stuggling vet, vet getting outplayed by a young guy, bonified #1, etc.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
What sort of goalie are you hoping the Isles pick up?

Future RFA, stuggling vet, vet getting outplayed by a young guy, bonified #1, etc.

Personally, I have no idea. I'm just trying to guess what Snow will do.

With Nabby coming back shortly, I don't see the need to acquire a "struggling vet" and I also don't see the value of a patch (like Carolina's Peters). So, I am confused.

Old
12-10-2013, 04:47 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Forgive me for starting another Islander trade thread, but I still think a move is coming.

My evidence:

1) Staple says he expects a goalie deal to happen soon. Staple is not Bob Mackenzie like hockey mind, but he is probably more plugged in then any other observer and he has had a nasty habit of calling deals weeks before they happened.

2) Grabner and Bailey are both playing like crud, and need a change of scenery.

3) The Isles need to open up roster spots, with Strome coming up, Lee at a PPG in the AHL, and Nelson outplaying basically every vet besides Tavares.

4) The Isles have a slew of excellent young defense prospects, but badly need gritty vets with size.

5) Snow's current impatience is evident.

6) Nielsen had a great start to the year, but the Isles have depth up the middle and could move him to address a need.

7) Isles have a few high profile impending UFAs (who may or may not be signed). Snow has been bad about cashing in on his impending UFAs, but I don't see him letting the likes of AMac and Vanek simply walk away.

I really have no idea what is happening next, but I'm open to thoughts.

Oh, and whatever happens, I am reasonably confident (or as confident as I can be given that I never know what Snow is up to) that it will not result in: 1) Strome being moved to Toronto, or Liles coming to Long Island,2) Isles having any interest in Bourque, Diaz, or Leblanc, 3) Isles sending away Okposo, Tavares, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, Czikas, Martin, Hamonic or de Haan (the future core of the team). 4)Isles overpaying for Craig Anderson.

There is a recent Staple tweet that Snow took heat for. I think it was around Nov. 25 , that Staple tweeted Snow wanted to add a defenseman who was not a rental.
The problem is that Staple said Snow does not want to give up any of his better nhlers or his top prospects.

How does he add this top 4 , without giving up something he values?

No mention about MacDonald or Vanek extensions. If they cannot be extended, I would think Vanek/MacDonald will be Snow's big trade chips.

Both Grabner and Bailey got off to strong starts, but have struggled.Neither will have strong trade value, so I doubt either is moved.

Old
12-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Lord Flacko*

Eddie Lack?

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:51 PM
TheRightWay

All this speculation and noise just for it all to culminate in Joey MaCdonald for a 7th or some other marginal move like that. Just watch.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
All this speculation and noise just for it all to culminate in Joey MaCdonald for a 7th or some other marginal move like that. Just watch.

I'd love to tell you how wrong you are - but I suspect you are correct.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
We need a COMPETENT physical veteran. Not another castoff.....
Mike Weber

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Green Blob*

Tavaras for Yukupov sounds like a move he'd make.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Semyon Says
grocery stick

vCash: 527
any bottom 4 defenceman on the avs is available

Semyon Says is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
There is a recent Staple tweet that Snow took heat for. I think it was around Nov. 25 , that Staple tweeted Snow wanted to add a defenseman who was not a rental.
The problem is that Staple said Snow does not want to give up any of his better nhlers or his top prospects.

How does he add this top 4 , without giving up something he values?

No mention about MacDonald or Vanek extensions. If they cannot be extended, I would think Vanek/MacDonald will be Snow's big trade chips.

Both Grabner and Bailey got off to strong starts, but have struggled.Neither will have strong trade value, so I doubt either is moved.
I think the bolded, if true, suggests Snow is the type of GM whose fear about looking bad in a deal is greater than and outweighs his desire to improve the team. Thus he never really makes bold moves.

His moves, apart from arguably the Vanek deal, have all been safe moves. A draft pick for a player, a waiver wire pickup, a cheap free agent signing, etc. Look at even his "best" moves. Visnovsky for a pick, Nabokov off waivers, signing Moulson as a free agent nobody, signing Parenteau as a free agent nobody. They're all low risk moves that even if they don't pan out, they're so low key that he won't get heat for them.

I'm not saying he needs to go all Milbury or anything, but I do think he's got to be more receptive to moving things of value. If he truly wants to acquire a top four defender, it's going to cost him more than he's been willing to pay thus far. He's almost like your typical HF trade proposal armchair GM on this forum where he wants another team's best players but is only willing to deal his leftover scraps.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:20 PM
12Dog

Quote:
I think Snow is looking to actually make a fairly large, culture changing deal. This team desperately needs a few veteran players, preferably a top 4 and a top 6 who have skill and grit, and most importantly know how to win. I hope and believe Snow sees this. Too much leadership placed on Tavares too soon. Can he obtain a Peca type forward and defender? Not to mention a goaltender upgrade? Doubtful. But someone needs to show the young players how to win. Need culture changers.

12Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:25 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Vanek will take eight years and $8.5 million or $68-million. Isles ready for that. Anybody who doesn't think he'll get that is a UFA hasn't being watching cap #s.

Isles should move him or sign him, there is no other choice. I'd move him. Then try and sign Moulson back.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think the bolded, if true, suggests Snow is the type of GM whose fear about looking bad in a deal is greater than and outweighs his desire to improve the team. Thus he never really makes bold moves.

His moves, apart from arguably the Vanek deal, have all been safe moves. A draft pick for a player, a waiver wire pickup, a cheap free agent signing, etc. Look at even his "best" moves. Visnovsky for a pick, Nabokov off waivers, signing Moulson as a free agent nobody, signing Parenteau as a free agent nobody. They're all low risk moves that even if they don't pan out, they're so low key that he won't get heat for them.

I'm not saying he needs to go all Milbury or anything, but I do think he's got to be more receptive to moving things of value. If he truly wants to acquire a top four defender, it's going to cost him more than he's been willing to pay thus far. He's almost like your typical HF trade proposal armchair GM on this forum where he wants another team's best players but is only willing to deal his leftover scraps.
Snow has actually proved to be quite the gambler: the Vanek, Smyth, and Zednik deals, all the maneuvering at drafts, some high risk contracts (like Bailey).

The kinds of moves you are talking about, high value assets for high value assets are pretty rare in the NHL with the salary cap and all. And, in the Isles case, they simply don't have depth at any one position or a lot of valuable assets that would make this sort of approach sensible. Right now they have maybe three vets with high trade value who the team sees as either untouchable or close to untouchable (Tavares, Okposo, and Hamonic), one or two with modest trade value (Nielsen), a few vets whose team impact vastly exceeds their market value (Martin and Czikas), kids they probably shouldn't move (Strome, Nelson, Reinhart, and Pulock - maybe even Lee), impending UFAs, and some junk (Bailey, Grabner). That's not a lot of fuel for a hockey value-for-value trade in any case.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Carolina has three goalies.
Ward, Khudobin and Peters. Peters has played well and would have to pass thru waivers, so there is soeculation Khudobin or Peters may be traded.
Khudobin was high on my wishlist last summer.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Felix Unger

This is all speculation, because Snow barely talks, and when he does his sincerity is questionable.

That said, a goaltending move HAS to be made simply for the morale of his own players. The season is over, but the flood has to be stopped or there could be some really dire consequences that could last beyond this season.

I'd say make a move in net first, and then see what else has to be done. There's no point wasting assets on anything more than what is necessary for the rest of 2013-2014.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Tavaras for Yukupov sounds like a move he'd make.
Nothing else to do but troll?

Old
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
SI90

After he calls Strome to tell him hes coming to the show his next move is hes going to call Dominos....

A UFA to be goalie makes no sense anymore, that ship has sailed unless we don't have to give up much or the player agrees to an extention...I don't see either happening or being worth it.

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post
I think Snow is looking to actually make a fairly large, culture changing deal. This team desperately needs a few veteran players, preferably a top 4 and a top 6 who have skill and grit, and most importantly know how to win. I hope and believe Snow sees this. Too much leadership placed on Tavares too soon. Can he obtain a Peca type forward and defender? Not to mention a goaltender upgrade? Doubtful. But someone needs to show the young players how to win. Need culture changers.
I think Snow made his huge deal: Vanek.

I don't see him making a culture changing deal. I think he adds a blueliner and goalie between now and July, while trying to sell Vanek on the Brooklyn move and adds more kids to the roster.