HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Snow's next move

Old
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Who said an easy fix was out there at all? If Snow moves Okposo, who will the RW on the first line? If we delete Hamonic, who do we build our defense around? What happens to the future if we move Strome, Nelson, etc?

What valuable commodities do the Isles have to deal that would make the least bit of sense to move?

I just don't see anything there.
Isn't this why you started this thread, though? To speculate on what possible moves Snow has up his sleeve to improve the Isles' situation?

I don't hold the answers about who should be moved, but I'm just saying that if Snow is intent on improving the current roster's top four or whatnot, it will cost more than he seems to be willing to give up.

But if we're playing a "what if" game, how about one of Strome or Nelson? Pick which one the organization believes will be the long-term answer at 2C behind Tavares, then deal the other for a top four blueliner. Or deal a Nielsen, play Strome at 2C, Nelson at 3C, and hope the upgrade on defense is enough to offset whatever growing pains carrying two rookies down the middle might cause.

There are deals there. The Islanders *do* have assets. The question always returns to what Snow is willing to actually pay to upgrade his team's weaknesses. If he's not willing to pay -- and maybe long term that's the best solution anyway, rather than panicking over this year's results -- the results are what you see. Guys like Strait, Hickey, Carkner, Martinek, Macdonald, etc. playing in roles they're not suited to.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
1. Yormark runs the business side of the organization..tix sales/ merchandising. He has spoken about needing to put a strong product out to bring tix buyers back.

2. Wang told the NY Times he knew he needed star power in Brooklyn.

3. Snow has called Vanek elite.

I think it is clear that Vanek.is seen as a stronger tix draw/ star power by Wang/Snow/Barclays execs.

And it does not sound like Snow felt his team was rebuilding when he added Vanek. Coming off the Pens series, it sounds like Snow expected his team to be a serious playoff contendern
Contenders who want veterans typically give up future picks and prospects to get a proven veteran. What picks and prospects is Snow willing to give up to get a top4 veteran D?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Snows next move will be a coaching change. I'd like to see a whole new coaching staff but it will probably just be Weight getting the interm tag. We will ge some guys back like Nabby, Strait, and Vis, win just enough games the rest of the year to stay in the bottom ten and get our first round pick back. Then Weight will be rewarded with a new contract and the head coach tag. The wheels on the bus go round and round, so on. & so on, & so on, & so on.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Isn't this why you started this thread, though? To speculate on what possible moves Snow has up his sleeve to improve the Isles' situation?

I don't hold the answers about who should be moved, but I'm just saying that if Snow is intent on improving the current roster's top four or whatnot, it will cost more than he seems to be willing to give up.

I never started the thread with the premise that the Isles were about to make some major move that will suddenly make them competitive. In fact, I very clearly detailed what I think was likely to be on the table (Grabner, Nielsen, Bailey) and I also pointed out that there wasn't a lot of potential for a major trade.

The rest of it was merely you trying to argue that the Isles had to make a move with major pieces.

Quote:
But if we're playing a "what if" game, how about one of Strome or Nelson? Pick which one the organization believes will be the long-term answer at 2C behind Tavares, then deal the other for a top four blueliner. Or deal a Nielsen, play Strome at 2C, Nelson at 3C, and hope the upgrade on defense is enough to offset whatever growing pains carrying two rookies down the middle might cause.
Yeah, because deleting top young assets for quick fixes has worked so well for so many teams in the past.

Nelson and Strome are not going anywhere.

Nielsen, on the other hand, I see as redundant. But, then he was one of the players I listed as likely moveable in the OP.

Quote:
There are deals there. The Islanders *do* have assets. The question always returns to what Snow is willing to actually pay to upgrade his team's weaknesses. If he's not willing to pay -- and maybe long term that's the best solution anyway, rather than panicking over this year's results -- the results are what you see. Guys like Strait, Hickey, Carkner, Martinek, Macdonald, etc. playing in roles they're not suited to.
Its a zero sum game. Isles can't simply add major pieces on defense and in goal without deleting core assets elsewhere.

I do think you'll see a deal involving some of the spare parts and then the Isles will look to improve in other ways this summer. I could also easily see Nielsen and/or the impending UFAs moved for assets.

12-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Contenders who want veterans typically give up future picks and prospects to get a proven veteran. What picks and prospects is Snow willing to give up to get a top4 veteran D?

Frans Nielsen.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I already posted my opinion in this thread , that if Snow cannot get Vanek and MacDonald extended, they become his biggest trade chips. Imo between now and July , I expect Snow to add a goalie, a nhl blueliner and more prospects to the roster.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:47 PM
CREW99AW

I don't have a Newsday subscription.
But, this fan site reported about Snow trying to upgrade his D, without moving any key nhlers or top prospects.

http://eyesonisles.com/2013/11/25/mi...s-makes-sense/

Old
12-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Hip Of Rick

I hope his next move is at the unemployment office

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Frans Nielsen.
Be nice if Strome could step in and fill that role, making Nielsen expendable.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I hope his next move is at the unemployment office
I don't know how or why, but Staple says Wang has faith in Snow.

I am trying to figure out what Snow has done to bring about such support.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Sparksrus3

My friends brothers sisters uncle on his mothers side was at chipotle by the coliseum last week.
Believe it or not sitting at the table next to snow and cappy having lunch. Snow was trying to fire cappy.
Cappy said back " if I'm fired then your fired too". Garth said "pass the salsa". I promise that my sisters mothers son would not lie.us

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:49 PM
xECK29x

Quote:

His paycheck and he is a "yes man"

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I could see the Ducks moving Fasth.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:55 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

Wang also thought keeping Dipietro on the roster until 2013 was a good idea.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Be nice if Strome could step in and fill that role, making Nielsen expendable.
If that happens...

To NYI- Alex Edler
To VAN- Brock Nelson, Frans Nielsen

The Canucks would be pushing for Strome or Okposo but Snow would likely balk at that asking price. Gillis has been looking for a 3C for awhile and Nielsen more than fills that hole. Vancouver is also seriously lacking in young roster forwards.

Snow is apparently looking for a top pairing dman and there probably won't be a better defenseman than Alex Edler moved by any team. Those players just never become available, especially not ones young enough to grow with the Islanders young core. Edler is in his prime but signed to a cap friendly contract for 6 years.

Thoughts from Islander fans?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:48 PM
islesfan66

id love to see the next move be a coaching change, id love to look for a more under the radar goalie, like maybe anders lindsback?

islesfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If that happens...

To NYI- Alex Edler

The Canucks would be pushing for Strome or Okposo but Snow would likely balk at that asking price. Gillis has been looking for a 3C for awhile and Nielsen more than fills that hole. Vancouver is also seriously lacking in young roster forwards.

Snow is apparently looking for a top pairing dman and there probably won't be a better defenseman than Alex Edler moved by any team. Those players just never become available, especially not ones young enough to grow with the Islanders young core. Edler is in his prime but signed to a cap friendly contract for 6 years.

Would rather trade Bailey than Nelson. I guess it's fair but losing two centers hurts.

I'd have to really study Edlers game though and make sure he's worth it because I'm seeing his ame floated a lot in trades and Nelson is a valued piece here.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:58 PM
LeighDx13

Quote:
We need a COMPETENT physical veteran. Not another castoff.....
I actually think Kyle Quincey could benefit you guys as a second pairing D. He might not be doing well in Detroit but I'm confident he could thrive in a different enviroment with a different more offensive driven system.

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:07 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
His paycheck and he is a "yes man"
Right. I think the whole Neil Smith situation showed us where Charles Wang's priorities lie. Garth Snow will be his ***** and that's good enough.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:33 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Just my opinion but... I think his next move should be resignation.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:47 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

There's no mention of it in the OP, but would the Islanders' 2015 1st be in play?

A deal that could work for both teams is Byfuglien and maybe one of Klingberg/Sutter for Nielsen the 2015 1st and Anders Lee. Even then, I think long and hard about it, but most JETS fans will likely say NO pretty easily. Guess it all depends how well the Islanders improve as the range for that 2015 1st is what can tilt the scales.

Buff is criticized by many on these boards, but he has made great strides in becoming more defensively aware and his pure offensive instincts coupled with his sheer strength are what really makes him so valuable. He'd be a great addition to the Islander's attack. Is he a perfect player? No, but when he's on your team, you do appreciate the things he does so well.

If it weren't for Bogo and Trouba, it would hurt too much to deal Buff. Winnipeg's crazy depth at R/H defense is what makes him expendable. He's got 2 more years on his contract after this one.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:50 PM
KingPuckChoo

the kings have a healthy problem in goal... could always use a LW...

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If that happens...

To NYI- Alex Edler

Nelson is not going anywhere.

Elder has a No trade anyway

I have also not seen any evidence that Snow is looking to acquire a defender at that level and, in fact, doubt that is the case.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 12-11-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old
12-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDx13 View Post
I actually think Kyle Quincey could benefit you guys as a second pairing D. He might not be doing well in Detroit but I'm confident he could thrive in a different enviroment with a different more offensive driven system.
I don't share your confidence. Similar players have not excelled here.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Nelson is not going anywhere.
Isn't Snow looking for a top pairing dman? Snow isn't going to move any more 1sts, Strome or likely Okposo. Nelson would be the least valuable trade chip at his disposal to get that dman he's looking for.

I wouldn't be so sure Nelson is untouchable either. The Islanders will desperately want to find some short term success in lieu of having to move a 1st rd pick. Edler is a player that would help with that, but he's also young and cost controlled, which makes him an answer longterm as well.

I would have said that 1st wouldn't be going anywhere either...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote