HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Another NYI-ANA Goalie Deal!

Old
12-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Schneider is 2 years away and Luongo still had 9 years left on his contract.

Bernier is 3 years away from UFA and Quick has 10 years left on his contract.

Bernier and Schneider were moved because if they wern't then they would have been lost for nothing in 2-3 years. Unlike Gibson who has 8 years left and no reason for the Ducks to trade him.

"A problem with excessive depth"...... lol funniest thing I have ever read on here.
Right. Because the Ducks don't have any goalies near UFA status, other than their current number 1 and 2 of course.

And, its not like every team in the NHL doesn't need four # 1 goaltenders.

Its also not like there would be any market competition this summer, with only Hiller, Miller, Halak, and a few others as UFA.

In short, given the current situation, no reason for Anaheim to make a move and no reason to believe that the market value of Gibson won't be astronomically high.

Essentially, Anaheim has to either make a move soon or face losing Hiller for zip this summer (which, in the end, is what I think will happen).

Gibson is not going to bring a top five in a deal with the market forces as they are and he wouldn't make much sense to trade with both Hiller and VF likely gone by next summer.

My prediction is that Anaheim stays pat, Isles sign an UFA, and that Gibson eventually emerges as the number 1 in Duckville with Andersen as his back up. VF and Hiller will be lost for nothing.

12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Right. Because the Ducks don't have any goalies near UFA status, other than their current number 1 and 2 of course.

And, its not like every team in the NHL doesn't need four # 1 goaltenders.

Its also not like there would be any market competition this summer, with only Hiller, Miller, Halak, and a few others as UFA.

In short, given the current situation, no reason for Anaheim to make a move and no reason to believe that the market value of Gibson won't be astronomically high.

Essentially, Anaheim has to either make a move soon or face losing Hiller for zip this summer (which, in the end, is what I think will happen).

Gibson is not going to bring a top five in a deal with the market forces as they are and he wouldn't make much sense to trade with both Hiller and VF likely gone by next summer.

My prediction is that Anaheim stays pat, Isles sign an UFA, and that Gibson eventually emerges as the number 1 in Duckville with Andersen as his back up. VF and Hiller will be lost for nothing.
I personally am fine with losing Hiller for nothing. We are actually making the playoffs remember. Winning in the playoffs is what this game is all about, not stockpiling draft picks.

The Ducks have one of the best prospect pools and already have 2 1st this year. We have no reason to move anyone until we have to.

The most likely people to be moved on the Ducks are defensemen once we get healthy.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:

And you're right to see it as a likely possibility. But Hiller isn't a top goalie in the league whose value in a trade as a UFA would be too big to be affordable to lose. Especially, Hiller's fate doesn't change the situation for Gibson. There's no market forces at work with Gibson. He's in the exact spot where he should be, with the exact path available to him.

Quote:
(...) with both Hiller and VF likely gone by next summer.
Why is Fasth likely gone by summer? He is still signed. I wouldn't consider a rookie-tandem overly likely.

Quote:
My prediction is that Anaheim stays pat, Isles sign an UFA, and that Gibson eventually emerges as the number 1 in Duckville with Andersen as his back up.
As I said, that's a solid guess. But it doesn't create any issues for the Ducks, honestly.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
And you're right to see it as a likely possibility. But Hiller isn't a top goalie in the league whose value in a trade as a UFA would be too big to be affordable to lose. Especially, Hiller's fate doesn't change the situation for Gibson. There's no market forces at work with Gibson. He's in the exact spot where he should be, with the exact path available to him.

Why is Fasth likely gone by summer? He is still signed. I wouldn't consider a rookie-tandem overly likely.

As I said, that's a solid guess. But it doesn't create any issues for the Ducks, honestly.
I expect Fasth to be gone by NEXT summer (not this coming summer).

I think the Ducks will start next year with Andersen and Fasth, slowly work in Gibson, and then let Fasth move next summer.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I personally am fine with losing Hiller for nothing. We are actually making the playoffs remember. Winning in the playoffs is what this game is all about, not stockpiling draft picks.

The Ducks have one of the best prospect pools and already have 2 1st this year. We have no reason to move anyone until we have to.

The most likely people to be moved on the Ducks are defensemen once we get healthy.

Agreed on all counts.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:

I think the Ducks will start next year with Andersen and Fasth, slowly work in Gibson, and then let Fasth move next summer.
Oh, I see. Seems like a solid, conservative guess.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:21 PM

vCash: 350
Quote:

Who do you see emerging as the number one goalie? Fasth has had several injuries already but can we call him a band-aid boy yet? If he remains healthy, he's got a fairly good chance of being the starter. Or it could be a 1a/1b situation. I really like to see Andersen take over the number one role but probably way too early to tell, although given the long-term strategy, it would seem to me that Andersen should be given every opportunity to be the number one guy.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Who do you see emerging as the number one goalie? Fasth has had several injuries already but can we call him a band-aid boy yet? If he remains healthy, he's got a fairly good chance of being the starter. Or it could be a 1a/1b situation. I really like to see Andersen take over the number one role but probably way too early to tell, although given the long-term strategy, it would seem to me that Andersen should be given every opportunity to be the number one guy.

It will be interesting to see, because Andersen and Fasth both show signs of brilliance and obviously Gibson is a young stud.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Islander Prophet

A third overall pick is worth Gibson now???

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Schneider is also 27. Gibson is 20, playing his first year of pro hockey, and is tearing up the AHL.
ANd, of course, every young goalie phenom is a sure bet to star in the NHL.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Gibson is a stud and one of their current 3 starters would be moved first.

Are the Isles even able to move their 2014 1st, having traded it to Buffalo with conditions. What if the Isles finish outside of the bottom 10, then that pick goes to Buffalo without option. Isles have to trade their 2015 1st, then if they finish in top10 or not, they still option to give the pick to Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
ANd, of course, every young goalie phenom is a sure bet to star in the NHL.
Goalies like Gibson and Campbell sure are. If you don't think so, go watch some old WJC games on youtube. These kids are money in the bank! These guys aren't Al Montoyas who came out of no where to have solid WJC tournaments. These are kids that have been solid goalies and when played against the best of the best, they went way beyond just being good.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Gibson is a stud and one of their current 3 starters would be moved first.

Are the Isles even able to move their 2014 1st, having traded it to Buffalo with conditions. What if the Isles finish outside of the bottom 10, then that pick goes to Buffalo without option. Isles have to trade their 2015 1st, then if they finish in top10 or not, they still option to give the pick to Buffalo.
The premise of the OP was at the draft, I think.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:48 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

From a marketing standpoint I could certainly see a case made to bring Gibson to the NYI as they move to the Barclays Center.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
The premise of the OP was at the draft, I think.
Hiller limited window exclusive bargaining rights is still an option at the draft.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:46 PM
camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If Ekblad is on the board with that pick(or if the Isles finish with the 2nd and he's there) does that change anything?
That would make this trade very tempting for the Ducks since they do have Anderson as a fallback. It is true that the Ducks have young d-men like Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, and Theodore, but Ekblad is a big defenseman (already 6-4 and 218 pounds) and is a right hand shot. Ducks do not have this type of d-man in their system, so I am inclined to make this trade. This would set up the Ducks to be one of the best defensive teams for the next decade.

camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Old Man Willie
****lord 155

Lets settle this. Anaheim won't trade Hiller because Fasth can't be trusted to stay healthy. Fasth won't be traded because we'd lose him and Hiller after this season ends which I think the Ducks would prefer not happen. Andersen won't be traded because we're going to need him when Fasth gets inevitably injured next year and trading him would force Gibson to be called up to sit on the bench in Anaheim. I'd prefer him to continue his development in the AHL for one more year after this. Gibson won't be traded because management thinks way too highly of him and they probably wouldn't trade him for anybody in this year's upcoming draft. Besides I'm not even sure if the Isles can trade their first because of the Vanek trade, can Buffalo block that trade by choosing this year's pick over next?

Old Man Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM358 View Post
Lets settle this. Anaheim won't trade Hiller because Fasth can't be trusted to stay healthy. Fasth won't be traded because we'd lose him and Hiller after this season ends which I think the Ducks would prefer not happen. Andersen won't be traded because we're going to need him when Fasth gets inevitably injured next year and trading him would force Gibson to be called up to sit on the bench in Anaheim. I'd prefer him to continue his development in the AHL for one more year after this. Gibson won't be traded because management thinks way too highly of him and they probably wouldn't trade him for anybody in this year's upcoming draft. Besides I'm not even sure if the Isles can trade their first because of the Vanek trade, can Buffalo block that trade by choosing this year's pick over next?
The pick is the Islander's option, not Buffalo's.

Old
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Tavares91Carter

Faire value but Ducks should hang on to Gibson. He has lots of potential.

Tavares91Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:07 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

honestly why would the islanders make a trade to salvage this season? i think the premise of them wanting gibson makes sense, or any young goalie really

if anything freddie andersen makes more sense, he's ready now, cost controlled and looks like he could be a very good one

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:53 PM
islesfan66

what other goalies could the isles look at? anders lindsback I've been hoping they'd consider, he's a backup behind ben bishop and they have an up and coming prospect so he might not be needed for long

islesfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote