HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Scenario and opinions wanted

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
  #1
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Trade Scenario and opinions wanted

Let's say another team wanted to make a deal for jagr how about the Wild for example, and were offering Sergei Zholtok for Jagr straight up and a deal was agreed upong. Do you think the NHL would have accepted that deal or made the Wild give up more. It's quite the contrite thought, but it seems like Buttman caters to the rangers needs. This is the 3rd major salary dump he has allowed with minimal return. Just curious.

Kvashinator12 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:18 AM
  #2
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Me thinks it would be allowed.

The decision maker would be Leonsis... not the NHL.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:23 AM
  #3
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
Let's say another team wanted to make a deal for jagr how about the Wild for example, and were offering Sergei Zholtok for Jagr straight up and a deal was agreed upong. Do you think the NHL would have accepted that deal or made the Wild give up more. It's quite the contrite thought, but it seems like Buttman caters to the rangers needs. This is the 3rd major salary dump he has allowed with minimal return. Just curious.
Rarely do you get a good return in a salary dump, so I don't see the point in your question. If the Capitals agreed to take Zholtok, then that would be the deal.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:24 AM
  #4
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Me thinks it would be allowed.

The decision maker would be Leonsis... not the NHL.

but the nhl has to approve the deal, and i really think that bettman would make a team give up more because its not fair value. Look at the salary dumps they have acquired in the past, and the cashe involved in the kovalev deal.

Kvashinator12 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:27 AM
  #5
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,378
vCash: 500
the NHL had to approve the trade (Jagr - Carter) because there was an amount of money involved

Mathletic is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:32 AM
  #6
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
I don't think the NHL has a say in what players go where... the reason they approve trades may be because of the salary exchanges.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:33 AM
  #7
stanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
but the nhl has to approve the deal, and i really think that bettman would make a team give up more because its not fair value. Look at the salary dumps they have acquired in the past, and the cashe involved in the kovalev deal.
I disagree. I think finding someone willing to relieve the Caps of paying about $5.5M per year for four years IS the deal. You can't just discount money.

As for your initial premise, I think it's flawed because it presumes another NHL team would have been willing to take on a contract - even one of reduced value - the length and breadth of Jagr's. Like Doc mentioned, I'm sure a Minnesota or whomever would have been an equally suitable partner were they interested in paying Jagr.

Edit: I think Bettman could be accused of catering to the Rangers' needs if he prevented the deal from occurring. As it is, they added another high-priced, thirty-something forward when they temporarily are missing a goaltender and could use plenty of help on the blueline, even when healthy.


Last edited by stanley: 01-24-2004 at 11:38 AM.
stanley is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:44 AM
  #8
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I disagree. I think finding someone willing to relieve the Caps of paying about $5.5M per year for four years IS the deal. You can't just discount money.

As for your initial premise, I think it's flawed because it presumes another NHL team would have been willing to take on a contract - even one of reduced value - the length and breadth of Jagr's. Like Doc mentioned, I'm sure a Minnesota or whomever would have been an equally suitable partner were they interested in paying Jagr.

Edit: I think Bettman could be accused of catering to the Rangers' needs if he prevented the deal from occurring. As it is, they added another high-priced, thirty-something forward when they temporarily are missing a goaltender and could use plenty of help on the blueline, even when healthy.

stanley, i actually think the deal wasn't that bad for the caps. I like Carter and think he is a pretty good player, just not here in ny...

Kvashinator12 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:00 PM
  #9
Wpg Jets
Registered User
 
Wpg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: OH! CANADA!!
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
I think that this trade is a prime example of how silly the NHL has be come. Back in the day this trade would have been the same as A 31 old Greatzky traded for Ted Donato! Everyone in the Nhl would have been screaming Foul! But now everyone just Shrugs it off as a Salary dump. When did things get so bad! I don't mean to disrespect the Rangers. But they are the yankees of Hockey minus the championships. And for those who rag on them just realize that if your favorite team had the Rangers resources they would do the same. This Problem in the Nhl goes all the way down to the last overpaid 4th liner on the lowest payroll in the league. This thing has spiralled out of control and every owner and player is responsible. In there hunger for Money! They have all forgotten that without fans there is no league to make money in. And a quick look around the league at attendance shows people are not making a connection to these overpaid athletes. Yet Bettman preaches the same garbage over and over again Attendance is up. Sure it is when you add more teams and bigger arenas! The real question should be what % of capacity are those areans being filled! Back in the 70's and 80's arenas were smaller but they were still filled to at least 80-90% full. And today they are probably around 60-65% full. This league needs a complete overhaul ! I can't preach stay away form the games b/c I wouldn't be able to but if everyone stops buying the jerseys and hats for one season you would see a huge dent in there pockets! and maybe they would start acting a lot more responsible.

Wpg Jets is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 10:00 PM
  #10
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,503
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
Let's say another team wanted to make a deal for jagr how about the Wild for example, and were offering Sergei Zholtok for Jagr straight up and a deal was agreed upong. Do you think the NHL would have accepted that deal or made the Wild give up more. It's quite the contrite thought, but it seems like Buttman caters to the rangers needs. This is the 3rd major salary dump he has allowed with minimal return. Just curious.

Zholtok for Jagr, straight up without Washington paying any of Jagr's salary? The Caps management stampede would have crushed anyone that stood between them and signing that contract.

me2 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 10:13 PM
  #11
Benji Frank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
A few years ago they reviewed a couple of deals when the Isles moved Pallfy to LA and someone else to Phoenix (I think that was the other deal) but I think it was 'cuz a couple of teams complained about how lopsided the deals were. They too, were salary dumps, but salaries were not to the extent salaries are at now. Several teams could still afford top players. Now, who'se going to complain? Noone else wants to take on a Jagr or a Bure contract! The Rangers can tell the other teams what they're willing to pay and that's the end of it!!! If Miiny suddenlt had cash to burn and told Leonsis he's giving him Zholtok and Leonsis only has to absorb 10 mill of the deal, then that would have been the deal Leonsis took and unless the Rangers complained and showed a better offer, that trade would have been ruled valid and Jagr would be a Wild!!!

Benji Frank is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.