HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Scenario and opinions wanted

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Kvashinator12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Trade Scenario and opinions wanted

Let's say another team wanted to make a deal for jagr how about the Wild for example, and were offering Sergei Zholtok for Jagr straight up and a deal was agreed upong. Do you think the NHL would have accepted that deal or made the Wild give up more. It's quite the contrite thought, but it seems like Buttman caters to the rangers needs. This is the 3rd major salary dump he has allowed with minimal return. Just curious.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:18 AM
leafaholix*

Me thinks it would be allowed.

The decision maker would be Leonsis... not the NHL.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
Let's say another team wanted to make a deal for jagr how about the Wild for example, and were offering Sergei Zholtok for Jagr straight up and a deal was agreed upong. Do you think the NHL would have accepted that deal or made the Wild give up more. It's quite the contrite thought, but it seems like Buttman caters to the rangers needs. This is the 3rd major salary dump he has allowed with minimal return. Just curious.
Rarely do you get a good return in a salary dump, so I don't see the point in your question. If the Capitals agreed to take Zholtok, then that would be the deal.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Kvashinator12

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Me thinks it would be allowed.

The decision maker would be Leonsis... not the NHL.

but the nhl has to approve the deal, and i really think that bettman would make a team give up more because its not fair value. Look at the salary dumps they have acquired in the past, and the cashe involved in the kovalev deal.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Mathletic

the NHL had to approve the trade (Jagr - Carter) because there was an amount of money involved

Old
01-24-2004, 11:32 AM
leafaholix*

I don't think the NHL has a say in what players go where... the reason they approve trades may be because of the salary exchanges.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:33 AM
stanley

Quote:
but the nhl has to approve the deal, and i really think that bettman would make a team give up more because its not fair value. Look at the salary dumps they have acquired in the past, and the cashe involved in the kovalev deal.
I disagree. I think finding someone willing to relieve the Caps of paying about $5.5M per year for four years IS the deal. You can't just discount money.

As for your initial premise, I think it's flawed because it presumes another NHL team would have been willing to take on a contract - even one of reduced value - the length and breadth of Jagr's. Like Doc mentioned, I'm sure a Minnesota or whomever would have been an equally suitable partner were they interested in paying Jagr.

Edit: I think Bettman could be accused of catering to the Rangers' needs if he prevented the deal from occurring. As it is, they added another high-priced, thirty-something forward when they temporarily are missing a goaltender and could use plenty of help on the blueline, even when healthy.

Last edited by stanley: 01-24-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old
01-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Kvashinator12

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I disagree. I think finding someone willing to relieve the Caps of paying about $5.5M per year for four years IS the deal. You can't just discount money.

As for your initial premise, I think it's flawed because it presumes another NHL team would have been willing to take on a contract - even one of reduced value - the length and breadth of Jagr's. Like Doc mentioned, I'm sure a Minnesota or whomever would have been an equally suitable partner were they interested in paying Jagr.

Edit: I think Bettman could be accused of catering to the Rangers' needs if he prevented the deal from occurring. As it is, they added another high-priced, thirty-something forward when they temporarily are missing a goaltender and could use plenty of help on the blueline, even when healthy.

stanley, i actually think the deal wasn't that bad for the caps. I like Carter and think he is a pretty good player, just not here in ny...

Old
01-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
I think that this trade is a prime example of how silly the NHL has be come. Back in the day this trade would have been the same as A 31 old Greatzky traded for Ted Donato! Everyone in the Nhl would have been screaming Foul! But now everyone just Shrugs it off as a Salary dump. When did things get so bad! I don't mean to disrespect the Rangers. But they are the yankees of Hockey minus the championships. And for those who rag on them just realize that if your favorite team had the Rangers resources they would do the same. This Problem in the Nhl goes all the way down to the last overpaid 4th liner on the lowest payroll in the league. This thing has spiralled out of control and every owner and player is responsible. In there hunger for Money! They have all forgotten that without fans there is no league to make money in. And a quick look around the league at attendance shows people are not making a connection to these overpaid athletes. Yet Bettman preaches the same garbage over and over again Attendance is up. Sure it is when you add more teams and bigger arenas! The real question should be what % of capacity are those areans being filled! Back in the 70's and 80's arenas were smaller but they were still filled to at least 80-90% full. And today they are probably around 60-65% full. This league needs a complete overhaul ! I can't preach stay away form the games b/c I wouldn't be able to but if everyone stops buying the jerseys and hats for one season you would see a huge dent in there pockets! and maybe they would start acting a lot more responsible.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Zholtok for Jagr, straight up without Washington paying any of Jagr's salary? The Caps management stampede would have crushed anyone that stood between them and signing that contract.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Benji Frank

A few years ago they reviewed a couple of deals when the Isles moved Pallfy to LA and someone else to Phoenix (I think that was the other deal) but I think it was 'cuz a couple of teams complained about how lopsided the deals were. They too, were salary dumps, but salaries were not to the extent salaries are at now. Several teams could still afford top players. Now, who'se going to complain? Noone else wants to take on a Jagr or a Bure contract! The Rangers can tell the other teams what they're willing to pay and that's the end of it!!! If Miiny suddenlt had cash to burn and told Leonsis he's giving him Zholtok and Leonsis only has to absorb 10 mill of the deal, then that would have been the deal Leonsis took and unless the Rangers complained and showed a better offer, that trade would have been ruled valid and Jagr would be a Wild!!!

Closed Thread