HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

To re-hash the Jessiman issue

Old
01-07-2007, 01:16 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
To re-hash the Jessiman issue

On Facebook (which has become one of my new hobbies during the winter break), Jessiman, in his own words, is "on the beach in Florida."

I know he's a human being, but that statement kind of gives you the sense he's lounging at Miami Beach all day. Maybe he doesn't want it enough(?). Go ahead and ***** about like he's your brother...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
On Facebook (which has become one of my new hobbies during the winter break), Jessiman, in his own words, is "on the beach in Florida."

I know he's a human being, but that statement kind of gives you the sense he's lounging at Miami Beach all day. Maybe he doesn't want it enough(?). Go ahead and ***** about like he's your brother...
I mean, Charlotte arrived in Florida on Thursday, and will be there until Tuesday. They obviously don't play today, and do not play tomorrow either. I see no problem with a kid spending an off day at the beach with his teammates.

He doesn't want it enough because he's enjoying his off day? You may have a future as a NY journalist, because it seems that you're good at taking the most innocuous fact and turning it into some big thing.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Taz

MUST.... PLAY.. HOCKEY.... 24 HOURS A DAY..... !!!

Give him a break, i'm sure its probably a little bit of a joke

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Oh, OK... that makes sense... disregard this thread!

A word of advice... never say that last sentence in a bar, or you'll have a future of black eyes.

Old
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Other than European Scout Christer Rockstrom, the Rangers Scouts are doing a piss-poor job... it doesnt matter how far back you go, 2000, 1996 or 1992... Starting from the Ferraro twins to Jeff Brown (yeah, who??) to Pavel Brendl to Hugh Jessimen.

The scouting staff need to get their heads outta their a..

Get outta here if you want to tell me that one of your former #1 picks barely makes the 4th line on your ECHL team... terrible!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Other than European Scout Christer Rockstrom, the Rangers Scouts are doing a piss-poor job... it doesnt matter how far back you go, 2000, 1996 or 1992... Starting from the Ferraro twins to Jeff Brown (yeah, who??) to Pavel Brendl to Hugh Jessimen.

Get outta here if you want to tell me that one of your former #1 picks barely makes the 4th line on your ECHL team... terrible!
Do you suppose our scouts are spending too much time lounging on the beach, too?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post

The Rangers have some of the worst scouts around...by far

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
DutchShamrock

I'm so glad that the fact that Jessiman is spending a day off on the beach is going to re-open this topic. Where is this thread going to spiral downward towards? Who we could have drafted instead of Jessiman or how bad our scouts are?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Taz

To be honest alot of the time it isnt the player or the scout thats the problem, its the way they are handled. For example they could be kept in the minors rotting, or they are brought up and play on the 4th line in a role they are not suited to, which destroys their confidence.

NYR's just dont takes risks and develop their players on the top line, take Prucha he should be on the top line with Jagr, Developing him with the best player on the team offensively who he has chemistry with, instead he is bounced around and his powerplay time taken away and people wonder why he isnt producing.

They also load the team with 'vets' who havnt really established themselves or are shells of their prime and continue to play them when there are options that are younger with higher upsides who can't get to the upper levels as they have to learn in the AHL.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Do you suppose our scouts are spending too much time lounging on the beach, too?
whatever they're doing... its not good work.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Listen, I was pointing out something kind of funny but I was also saying something. I'm sorry there is so much emotion surrounding the subject. Hockey is not my life.

Old
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
To be honest alot of the time it isnt the player or the scout thats the problem, its the way they are handled. For example they could be kept in the minors rotting, or they are brought up and play on the 4th line in a role they are not suited to, which destroys their confidence.

NYR's just dont takes risks and develop their players on the top line, take Prucha he should be on the top line with Jagr, Developing him with the best player on the team offensively who he has chemistry with, instead he is bounced around and his powerplay time taken away and people wonder why he isnt producing.

They also load the team with 'vets' who havnt really established themselves or are shells of their prime and continue to play them when there are options that are younger with higher upsides who can't get to the upper levels as they have to learn in the AHL.
While this might very well be true in general, what does it have to do with Jessiman? It doesn't appear that any of what you wrote applies to Jessiman and very honestly, I don't see where Jessiman has been mishandled by the organization.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 05:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
While this might very well be true in general, what does it have to do with Jessiman? It doesn't appear that any of what you wrote applies to Jessiman and very honestly, I don't see where Jessiman has been mishandled by the organization.
He hasn't been. He's been handled very well and just hasn't produced.

I actually think we've done a terrific job with our kids the past 3 years or so.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He hasn't been. He's been handled very well and just hasn't produced.

I actually think we've done a terrific job with our kids the past 3 years or so.
I think the latter comment is debatable. I think the organization has handled very young players well but as they get further up the ladder and closer to the NHL, the team hasn't been very good at helping them take the final steps.

Old
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Oilers had their head scout Barry Fraser move his home office to Mexico in the 90s. A horrible period of drafting ensued, however Barry Fraser had a lovely time.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Oilers had their head scout Barry Fraser move his home office to Mexico in the 90s. A horrible period of drafting ensued, however Barry Fraser had a lovely time.
It's been a while since you stopped by! How's it going? Has Nedved played yet?

And what Jackass allowed his head scout to move to a country where there are no ice skating rinks?

Old
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
It's been a while since you stopped by! How's it going? Has Nedved played yet?

And what Jackass allowed his head scout to move to a country where there are no ice skating rinks?
Yeah, Nedved played two games. Can't check a lick, slower than before, still puts up points. I still like the guy.

As for Fraser, it was crazy. I guess they felt it was payoff for all that winter driving but Mexico? And they wonder why they drafted horribly.

Old
01-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Yeah, Nedved played two games. Can't check a lick, slower than before, still puts up points. I still like the guy.

As for Fraser, it was crazy. I guess they felt it was payoff for all that winter driving but Mexico? And they wonder why they drafted horribly.
Nedved was always better than some people made him out to be when he was here. He's always had good hockey sense (knows where he should be) and I'm sure can still contribute, if he's used properly. Still, I'm glad he's not here because I have no doubt he would be overused and that would have exposed all of his weaknesses.

Old
01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
I think the latter comment is debatable. I think the organization has handled very young players well but as they get further up the ladder and closer to the NHL, the team hasn't been very good at helping them take the final steps.
Hasn't been very good at letting them take the last step? I disagree. Did you not see Lundmark given basically a season and a half to produce? He chose to give half hearted effort and glide around like he was an offensive pariah! The only thing the guy did in all that time was offend ME as a Ranger fan! Tyutin has been given the chance, Betts, Prucha, like it or not, could have easily been sent to Hartford, he worked hard and stayed with the big club! Hollweg, Ortmeyer, and a couple others have EARNED the opportunity to play on the Garden ice, with hard work and sweat! The kids aren't entitled to a roster spot, they've gotta kick the door in , or hope some one gets injured and they wrestle their spot away! This team is on the right path. Some of you folks have forgotten how far this organization actually fell!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Fletch

Lowetide!...

Lain! Great to see your name in here again! Like Sykora, if used properly, and with the right wingers, Nedved may be productive. Personally, I don't think that situation is with Shanny, and, knowing Renney, Cullen. But that's just me. And I don't think Sykora worked here either, but on the point, and in a different situation, he's worked well in Edmonton (although I haven't seen the last 10 games - been slacking).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Fletch

Jessiman's one of those guys..

who seemed to have been given chances, but just couldn't put it together. It's unfortunate because he seemed like a kid that was working hard and doing his best to improve, but just didn't. He looked like a decent 4th line AHLer; of course, that does the Rangers no good.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Lowetide

Sykora and Nedved are playing on a Czech line with the kid Hemsky. Smooth as butter with the puck but they have had some "interesting" shifts in their own end.

Old
01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
I disagree. I think it's more of a reflection of who we're talking about, there are some pretty borderline names on there.

But the guys who had either the heart of the skills to make it have: Tyutin, Lundqvist, Prucha, Hollweg, etc.

The sad fact is that this team doesn't have much to point to in recent years in terms of slam dunk players.

Over the last 3 years I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was ruined by their handling outside of guys who frankly VERY borderline NHL players.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Listen, I was pointing out something kind of funny but I was also saying something. I'm sorry there is so much emotion surrounding the subject. Hockey is not my life.
How wonderful for you.

Seriously, that's a good thing.

As pissed off as I was about Jessiman a few weeks ago the fact is he's just one guy. The '04, '05 and '06 drafts all look pretty good. '05 has a chance to turn out spectacular.

Our prospects are looking pretty good. We had more prospects than any other NHL team compete in the just finished WJC. Three of those prospects won a gold medal for Canada. A total of four Ranger prospects competed in the championship game.

Hartford has maybe the youngest team in the AHL. After starting the season slowly they have really come back. Their record is 3/4 games over .500. Montoya, Byers, and Callahan are all doing exceptionally well right now. The team will get more youth next year

I'm sorry what was the question again.

(Forget about Jessiman. He'll be making mid six figures in a few years outside of hockey....and he won't be worrying about any of you guys.)

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:01 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Forget about Jessiman. He'll be making mid six figures in a few years outside of hockey....and he won't be worrying about any of you guys.)
how ?

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote