HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Save the goose

Old
12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
kimmofan44

vCash: 500
Save the goose

wip on air personality, and one of the only people on that station that actually talks about and
knows about hockey glen "goose" macknow is currently in contract negotiations with sports radio 94 w I p. I started a petition online at
www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/savethegoosewip

even if your not a fan of the station at least sign it to support a hockey fan who will talk flyers over any other sport any day of the week.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
kimmofan44

if someone could help me get this link to work that would be great. its spelled correctly.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Flyerfan4life

just filled it in..

seems to be working...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:44 PM
b10

Signed.

Macnow and Gargano's show is the best on WIP, IMO. Hope he returns ASAP.

b10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by b10 View Post
Signed.

Macnow and Gargano's show is the best on WIP, IMO. Hope he returns ASAP.
Glen and Ray Diddy on Saturday mornings is a must-listen for me. Wasn't aware he hasn't been there this week. Have to imagine he doesn't want to make a move this late in his career. The Fanatic is a **** house radio station, hope he doesn't make that jump.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:03 PM
rWoHockeyman88

You got it! He's great and much more intelligent than hearing Mike Missanelli talk hockey.

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Glen and Ray Diddy on Saturday mornings is a must-listen for me. Wasn't aware he hasn't been there this week. Have to imagine he doesn't want to make a move this late in his career. The Fanatic is a **** house radio station, hope he doesn't make that jump.
I'm with you there. I also enjoy it when Rob Ellis fills in for Glen during the Saturday morning show. Not really a fan of Gargano as I find him doltish and a bit of a stereotype, so I sometimes turn it off when he does his shtick. Dunno why they're pushing this "Goose" nickname on Glen when it seems to me that he feels ambivalent at best about it. Is "The Prof" really that stale?

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I'm with you there. I also enjoy it when Rob Ellis fills in for Glen during the Saturday morning show. Not really a fan of Gargano as I find him doltish and a bit of a stereotype, so I sometimes turn it off when he does his shtick. Dunno why they're pushing this "Goose" nickname on Glen when it seems to me that he feels ambivalent at best about it. Is "The Prof" really that stale?
Gargano is turning into an angry old Italian guy way too young (on some days). It's almost like Macnow talks hockey but knows he shouldn't. Like he has to sneak it in knowing the producers don't want him to. They have no interest in hockey on WIP. I guess they have some kind of ratings or just from the huge volume of ridiculously stupid Eagles fans.

Call WIP and say you think Vick should start on Sunday - you'll get right on the air and will probably get them to agree with you.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Gargano is turning into an angry old Italian guy way too young (on some days). It's almost like Macnow talks hockey but knows he shouldn't. Like he has to sneak it in knowing the producers don't want him to. They have no interest in hockey on WIP. I guess they have some kind of ratings or just from the huge volume of ridiculously stupid Eagles fans.
On most days I can put up with a homer host. On most days I can put up with a guy that fawns over the local sports athletes when they're on as guests. On most days I can put up with a guy that talks about his kids every once in a while. I can't put up with a guy who is all 3 at once most days, which Gargano is. Just how I feel.

As for the hockey talk, let's face it in that you'll never get a good conversation about it for any length of time any day unless something crazy happens. Not when the Eagles/Phillies are in season. Heck, they don't even need to be in season to still dominate airtime. When the station had the Flyers you'd at least get some talk about hockey during the week around game-time, specifically when Macnow hosted nights solo. But since they've moved up the dial that's gone as well.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Although I don't listen to much Sports radio anymore. I agree that Glen and Ray are a good show to listen to. I'm indifferent on 97.5 and WIP. I like some of the shows and others I won't listen to.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:19 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
OP, was that you on WIP today doing your Doc Emrick?

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I just subscribed to XM radio so I have been listening to NHL radio and MLB radio, but when I didn't have the satellite for the time between when my free trial ran out, Glan Macnow was definitely the #1 guy on WIP to whom I listened.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I do like Glen, he knows his stuff and isn't a huge tool. Hard to say that about almost everyone on Philly radio. 97.5 is unbearable.

Angelo Cataldi has become a freakin character of the idiot he used to be. I honestly can't believe he means anything he says. I also love that that morning show has Kyle Scott on as a featured interview from time to time. Also use him as a source.

12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
that was me. Im the one that started the petition so I decided to use my emeric impression to get the web site out there.

Old
12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
that was me doing the emeric impression with gargano yesterday. I made the petition to keep glen and wanted to get the web address out there, so I used my doc emeric to get some air time. did you like it?

Old
12-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
that was me doing the emeric impression with gargano yesterday. I made the petition to keep glen and wanted to get the web address out there, so I used my doc emeric to get some air time. did you like it?

Awesome! Heard this and was laughing

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Whats the story here anyway, is it bitter or something, why is this a thing...?

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Whats the story here anyway, is it bitter or something, why is this a thing...?
He took a leave this past Monday and is using vacation days as he's nearing the end of his contract and is in negotiations.

Old
12-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Face it... except when the Phillies are broadcasted or either make a move or they want to biatch about Amaro not making a move... WIP is and always will be an Eagles station 24/7... They have no interest in talking Flyers or hockey, especially since they let the Flyers and Sixers contracts go. Hockey fans have no interest calling in much about hockey... why bother? The response is minute and worthless and at times condescending.

The best thing for Macnow to do now (for the sake of hockey) is to move on to The Fan 97.5 like Brian Startare did when the Flyers moved there to do pre/post game stuff... With the Flyers gone, so has WIP Flyers talk and WIP Flyers interest. That said, The Prof is versed well in many sports and he would be missed at WIP if not there... like losing his shows with Ray Diddy.

I agree with those saying that Anthony 'Cuz' Gargano's best days have passed... he was best when he was raw and new and seemed one of us... now rather than being 'our' voice he is trying to be our director, having us follow his OCD lead, LOL.

Macnow will eventually settle in to what he feels is best for him, IMO... and most likely stay put... with a larger contract... while 97.5 will continue to eat into WIP's territory. As long as WIP has the Eagles and Phillies though, they will survive quite well... and 97.5 will be the logical alternative for us fans when the times are right for us to tune them in... like during and after Flyers games.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-14-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

When I do listen to games on the radio, I can't take pre-, post-, and intermissions on 97.5. Jason Retitis (sp?) is a certified ass clown. Brian Startate is a good hockey man, but I wouldn't necessarily says that much. And when he tries to say much, he probably shouldn't.

Mikey Miss is a dolt himself. He is undoubtedly anti-hockey and always was at WIP. And then he also says garbage like how Matt Ryan is the 2nd best quarterback in the NFL.

Cataldi is a moron, he plays a moron, and from what I've heard, Chip Kelly plays him like a moron. My favorite thing from him the last year was when he was going to lead a protest against the Eagles because they didn't sign anyone on the first day of free agency and were being cheap. Of course, he's probably never admitted that they did the right things.

If I'm at work Saturday afternoons and I don't feel like changing the station, I don't mind keeping on Angry Bob and Hollis Thomas. I don't mind Gargano either, but he has to have someone with him. I like Ike Reese too, but I can't stand Barkann, he is nothing more than a squawking parrot. Otherwise, sometimes I'll listen to Rob Ellis on the way home or Reuben Frank when he's on.

I don't think the Sixers and Flyers were let go by WIP as much as they wanted to leave. The Flyers were getting playoff games pushed back to 610AM, and the Sixers were on a different station every night it seemed like. They were getting games put on WOGL.

Old
12-14-2013, 09:25 AM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Quote:
When I do listen to games on the radio, I can't take pre-, post-, and intermissions on 97.5. Jason Retitis (sp?) is a certified ass clown. Brian Startate is a good hockey man, but I wouldn't necessarily says that much. And when he tries to say much, he probably shouldn't.

Mikey Miss is a dolt himself. He is undoubtedly anti-hockey and always was at WIP. And then he also says garbage like how Matt Ryan is the 2nd best quarterback in the NFL.

Cataldi is a moron, he plays a moron, and from what I've heard, Chip Kelly plays him like a moron. My favorite thing from him the last year was when he was going to lead a protest against the Eagles because they didn't sign anyone on the first day of free agency and were being cheap. Of course, he's probably never admitted that they did the right things.

If I'm at work Saturday afternoons and I don't feel like changing the station, I don't mind keeping on Angry Bob and Hollis Thomas. I don't mind Gargano either, but he has to have someone with him. I like Ike Reese too, but I can't stand Barkann, he is nothing more than a squawking parrot. Otherwise, sometimes I'll listen to Rob Ellis on the way home or Reuben Frank when he's on.

I don't think the Sixers and Flyers were let go by WIP as much as they wanted to leave. The Flyers were getting playoff games pushed back to 610AM, and the Sixers were on a different station every night it seemed like. They were getting games put on WOGL.
He proposed not too long ago that if Emery keeps playing well, that the Flyers should trade him for a young puck moving dman. He may like hockey more than most at that station, but he really has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the value of players.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

When I say let go I suppose I really should have said that WIP allowed them to go... I'm sure that they could have anteed up and kept them. As it is now the Flyers are often moved off 97.5 to accommodate the Sixers games... as long as a station holds multiple contacts and their team conflict, games must be moved, that is unavoidable... was at WIP and till is at 97.5. They do not have the Phillies and Eagles though which eases the problem a bit I must admit.

As for the post pregame/postgame shows... I really don't get to listen to them very often as I'm either at the game where I'm unable to listen and it is just about over by the time I get to the ca... or I'm watching on TV. That said, I do know that WIP didn't give two schits about covering the Flyers and the calls always were directed towards the Eagles -- what else is new, huh? -- ASAP. It is what it is on all accounts though... we won't and can't win no matter what.

As to Angelo... IMO he has always tried to be a shock jock... and would love to be the poor man's Howard Stern on the sports front. He is a contrarian who counts on his fans having either short or forgiving memories... he blows with the wind and in doesn't care if we know he changes his tune from period to period... he is all about ratings and is mostly after entertainment with the sports merely justifying his position on a sports station... Just my opinion though, FWIW.

Mikey Miss is also a contrarian who loves to wrankle people... He can actually talk hockey if he so chooses but would rather gain by ruffling the feathers of the avid Flyers fans and hockey lovers of the World... He will take the opposing view if he feels that it will keep the people on board... he was nursed at the knee of the man he seemed to hate and be disturbed by; Howard Eskin -- who in himself we have an entirely new and different conversation brewing that would keep us here all day and night.

All in all I find the sports talks shows more of a thing that I enjoy yelling back at than I do listening to... and except for the likes of the occasional Ray Diddy and The Prof, ones that I learn very little from.

Old
12-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
He proposed not too long ago that if Emery keeps playing well, that the Flyers should trade him for a young puck moving dman. He may like hockey more than most at that station, but he really has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the value of players.
Often Startare seems to me more of a fan like us than a hockey pendant... but he promotes the Flyers and the sport and allows it to be discussed on the air... unlike most all the other radio personalities who rather take the easy way out and talk Eagles, Amaro hate, or sex. I'll take a few more of his ilk over the usual idiots who merely fan the flames of the average inane callers.

Old
12-15-2013, 08:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post

Startare went on about how Giroux should have played in that stupid Penguins game (which meant nothing) in Pittsburgh between the playoff series and the game earlier in that week that got wacky. He said that the Flyers needed to send a message and the game wasn't meaningless. Of course, the Flyers lost that game, and went up 3-0 in the playoff series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Often Startare seems to me more of a fan like us than a hockey pendant... but he promotes the Flyers and the sport and allows it to be discussed on the air... unlike most all the other radio personalities who rather take the easy way out and talk Eagles, Amaro hate, or sex. I'll take a few more of his ilk over the usual idiots who merely fan the flames of the average inane callers.
You can be a fan of Breaking Bad on sports talk radio. When it comes to sports, you should at least have some more substance than just being a fan.

By the way, the Prof is doing Eagles pregame amid the contract issues.

Old
12-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

You can be a fan of Breaking Bad on sports talk radio. When it comes to sports, you should at least have some more substance than just being a fan.

By the way, the Prof is doing Eagles pregame amid the contract issues.

While I cannot argue with this comment... I also cannot argue with the fact that all these personalities have their own opinions... some good, some reasonable, and some real head-shakers haha... Seriously, I've heard worse. I applaud that he likes the sport of hockey and welcomes its discussion rather than discourage it and make the true hockey fan say, "why bother even calling", as is the feeling with so many other hosts... Hockey fans can call in and correct him with their opinions, after all. How many fans of all the sports call these sports talk stations and state inane opinions that the stations love to get so the talk continues? That angry Eagles fan guy was made a celebrity on the Postgame Show and other Media clips/shows... got even more than the usual 15 minutes of fame... I agree that the Sports Hosts should be above that though... I just rather have it than the usual crap alternative that we are fed on a constant basis. JMO