HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
That's interesting.

Does it seem that pro players tend to favor blades that might be considered "pingy" or "hot" compared to the blades that are popular now which cushion and deaden pucks?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah that deadened wood-like feel of the One95 contrasts the hotter, livelier feel of the One90 for sure.

I kept a small stack of those slips of paper and the info they reveal can call into question the list of codes that are floating around out there.

Some of the guys that used (or requested a sample of) the One90 blade construction with G3 are: Martin St. Louis, Ryan Strome and John Moore.

Jeff Tambellini had a One90 blade, Jaden Schwartz used a C29 construction with a One90 blade during his WJCs, as did Michael Bournival with an O33.

That's only a small stack of about 40 slips. No mention of anything One95.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
My store received a shipment of around 600 pro stock Bauer T1 sticks a few months ago. In each batch of a particular player's order, there is an envelope from the OEM with a slip of paper inside outlining the Player, Team, Curve/Blade and Construction.

You would see your typical G3s, R32s, O33s, C, D etc. But a great many of the sticks that had visible two piece constructions with the 3K weave were actually built with One90 blades, NOT One95s. I haven't seen any with a One95 blade designation (though C29 and 28s were there, indicating true One95s). Keep in mind that (iirc) the One95 and One90 blade weaves are similar visually.

I've heard the same stuff you have, but based on that large sample that I went through, I'm more inclined to believe that more One90 blades are used because they provide better pop. Having used both a One95 and a One90 construction extensively, I would also agree that One90 blades offer more pop than the One95s do.
I stand corrected. Good to know. I'm going to have to get a closer comparison of the retail One95 I have and the G3's I have. Thanks for the info.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah it's pretty interesting to see what some of these guys have tried and/or actually have used.

The MSL TotalOnes were for sure a sample made out to him. At 82 flex at 60".

Relating back to thread topic a bit, my current game-ready go-to stick is a pro stock Jason Blake One90 dressed as a Vapor XXX Lite. I love the pop, feel and release so much that I keep going back to it even though I've used the One95 for so long and have flirted with the Widow, RBZ Stage 2, SE16, Dolomite and Vapor XXXX.

I can definitely see why many pros opt for this construction.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Bauer Nexus 1000 - Kane Blade

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I have a Easton Mako, 85 Flex, Hall Curve and I hate it. Can't get anything on my shot (primarily take wrist/snap shots).

Broke two APXs (87 flex, Kane Curves) within a span of 4 months, loved those sticks.

Looking to get a similar type stick, don't want to spend a fortune, and all the retail websites are sold out of the Kane curve APX. Any recommendations would be great.

Also, anyone ever heard of this?:
http://www.hockeygiant.com/gearfs150stksr.html

Thanks for the help.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
I have a Easton Mako, 85 Flex, Hall Curve and I hate it. Can't get anything on my shot (primarily take wrist/snap shots).

Broke two APXs (87 flex, Kane Curves) within a span of 4 months, loved those sticks.

Looking to get a similar type stick, don't want to spend a fortune, and all the retail websites are sold out of the Kane curve APX. Any recommendations would be great.

Also, anyone ever heard of this?:
http://www.hockeygiant.com/gearfs150stksr.html

Thanks for the help.
The specs are literally copy and pasted from the now defunct Combat Pure stick. If my theory is correct, then I'll react with "So THAT'S where they all went!"

It was a really good stick, though you could do better than $200 and find something that's a known commodity.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That wouldn't be surprising given that HG was a Combat retailer. But nobody ever took the plunge on those sticks because they were so expensive and weren't a known brand.

Now if they had them for $100-125, maybe they could sell a few.

I swapped plugs and blades and re-taped two sticks that I will commit myself to for the next few weeks:

- Miken Z9 65 flex w/ P14 curve
- Easton Synergy 75 flex w/ Dolomite HD Vanek blade

Shot a few dozen pucks and found that I could stand to keep the blade more square to the target throughout, as well as getting the stick more underneath me and using some more momentum. Rather than what my shot had devolved into, which was more flinging the puck towards the target.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:31 PM
OpenIceHit42

Anyone know if there's an online retailer other than HM that sells sticks in 3 packs? I've purchased a couple over the past couple of years but they no longer have my flex/pattern in stock in a couple of models I'm looking at.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:32 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Anyone know if there's an online retailer other than HM that sells sticks in 3 packs? I've purchased a couple over the past couple of years but they no longer have my flex/pattern in stock in a couple of models I'm looking at.
I don't know of any. BUT if you call and explain you'll take 3, some places will give you a small, 5-10% discount.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Connection View Post
So has anyone tried the EK15?
I bought one the other day. It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

But seriously, it's the first high end stick I've ever purchased (previous most expensive was an Easton EQ10), and I like it a lot. It's ridiculously light. I've only used it once, so I can't provide too much info, but I went with the intermediate for the flex (65) and the uncut shorter length.

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
izzy3

Dang it, I was cruising through a few hockey sites and saw this deal on a Reebok 20K, 70 flex. I bougth it. I don't really need it... Can't wait to try it.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 08:17 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Dang it, I was cruising through a few hockey sites and saw this deal on a Reebok 20K, 70 flex. I bougth it. I don't really need it... Can't wait to try it.
I bought one a couple weeks back. I really like mine. It makes doing things with a stick easier!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 01:49 PM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I bought one a couple weeks back. I really like mine. It makes doing things with a stick easier!
Yeah, I remember watching Crosby and Perron as the stick came out of how quick it is to shoot the puck, but on our rink no one uses Reeboks, so I kinda forgot. I really liked my 4k a while back, especially the way th puck came off of it, so I think I'll like the 20k as well.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:06 PM
ORLY

Switched from a Sakic/Hall to a P88 wish me luck

ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Joey Moss

Just bought a Limited Edition Vintage NXG (Red and beige). Hands down the best looking stick I've ever seen. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 09:19 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Just bought a Limited Edition Vintage NXG (Red and beige). Hands down the best looking stick I've ever seen. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
Those sticks are a thing of beauty.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Joey Moss

Not sure if the Vintage NXG's are any different but here are my first impressions on the stick..

I guess I'll start by describing what kind of player I am.. I'm really picky about what kind of stick I'm using because my best assets are my shot and hands. I'm a big guy at around 6'3 215 and I like to really step into my shot so I prefer a mid kick. The NXG I'm using is in Backstrom curve (I prefer Toews but there weren't any available) and 102 flex (with an NXG composite extension).

First impressions were good. I'm able to get a lot of power in my shot with this stick, especially slap shots. The blade is extremely stiff and kind of tinny when stick handling but I don't think that really affects much at least for me. Shots were accurate but I found I had to put my left hand lower on the stick to get the most power and accuracy out of it which was a little uncomfortable. Could be just getting used to a different curve though.

Overall, great stick.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Back to the P14 last night after using the P92 most of the season. Shots were actually hitting the net again, passes were more on target, actually threw a sauce pass across the rink and hit my guy on the tape, decent backhands too. It really is a decent compromise between the P92 and P88.

The one kicker is that it seems like you need to fling the puck off the toe to get some zip on it. For whatever reason I can't get a ton of kick out of the stick itself. I'd love to try the curve with an APX2 someday.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

I've been using a Winwell GX-Lite intermediate stick for the last little while, got it for 30 dollars on sale (from like 80 or something) at Crappy Tire with a birthday giftcard. Wanted to see how an Int felt to me over a Senior. So far so good. I feel like I have better control when stick handling, but still getting used to a collar-bone high stick as opposed to a chin high.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

The one kicker is that it seems like you need to fling the puck off the toe to get some zip on it. For whatever reason I can't get a ton of kick out of the stick itself. I'd love to try the curve with an APX2 someday.
What stick did you use ? I'm guessing it's an X60 ??

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
What stick did you use ? I'm guessing it's an X60 ??
With the P14 it's a Miken Z9. Really nice balance and good puck feel to it, strong slappers, not enough flex or kick for my tastes for wrist/snap shots.

I had and LOVED an X:60. Crap puck feel but everything else was amazing. Just $$$ though.

Old
12-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Torquenstein

Hey guys,

I got a quick question. I have the chance to pick up some Easton EQ 50 for cheap. Thing is the curve, it's a P6. I have never played that curve. I usually play a Getzlaf/Lidstrom curve. I looked up the blade patterns on Hockeymonkey and the Lidstrom/P5 curve and the P6 curve seem to be the same except for the square toe on the P5. Can anyone confirm this, or are there some significant differences?

Sorry for my bad english, it's late, I'm european and drunk

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 08:58 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
70 flex cut short to about 80
6 lie
Square toe and heel (Getzlaf)

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 12:03 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Bought a CCM RBZ 80 tonight. 60 flex, Landeskog. Went from a CCM U+ Lecavalier 80 flex cut about 3".

I like it through one game. Toe drags seem much easier. Tons of flex when shooting. Scored a goal with it.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote