HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Yakupov

Old
12-10-2013, 05:22 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paberallFTW View Post
not to mention that yakupov is still not yet comfortable with the english language....but he doesn't need to since he's going back to KHL in a year or so

"BEST MY FEELING!" - yakupov after scoring the tying goal against the kings prior to the knee slide
I think it's' awfully convenient to just assume it's a translation issue/language issue. Especially considering Larionov never once hesitated to correct he KHL stories that followed.

Would have been easy to say "by the way you misunderstood what the kid said."

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Yakupov playing his game better is a very valuable player. I don't think anyone can legitimately disagree with that statement.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:27 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Yakupov playing his game better is a very valuable player.
Yes he is. Larsson valuable? I don't know considering how he's faltering doing that right now. The comments are concerning, ignoring them is pretty ignorant really. Not everything has to be looked at through rosed-colored glasses. There are red flags surrounding this supremely talented player.

I would love to have him on my team but not for Larsson.

If he bounces back and becomes the force that I sincerely think he is I pay you Larsson and probably more. But those comments of his + the scouts concerns were enough for me to back off.

I'm sure other scouts feel similarly too. I mean were all concerned for this kid's game. Whether we attribute it to him or his circumstance - something is just not right.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I never mentioned Larsson. I am a Canadian Senators fan that was born and raised in Ottawa. I have never met a Russian or an Oilers fan.

What rose colored glasses?

Old
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Yes he is. Larsson valuable? I don't know considering how he's faltering doing that right now. The comments are concerning, ignoring them is pretty ignorant really. Not everything has to be looked at through rosed-colored glasses. There are red flags surrounding this supremely talented player.

If he bounces back and becomes the force that I sincerely think he is I pay you Larsson and probably more. But those comments of his + the scouts concerns were enough for me to back off.

I'm sure other scouts feel similarly too. I mean were all concerned for this kid's game. Whether we attribute it to him or his circumstance - something is just not right.
I can't speak for all Oiler fans, but Larsson does nothing for me in a potential deal for Yakupov.

Besides the Oilers already said they weren't trading him, so you needn't worry.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
A professional scout said that if he doesn't change he's not going to make it in the NHL. Yakupov says he's going to try much harder and continue playing his game but says, and i quote "i'm not going to change my game."

He's struggling mightily right now. My point is that because of the above reasons no team in their right mind is going to pay a premium for a player that some scouts (heck his own national team's scouts) say may not even end up making it.

For the Devils, specifically, he's a no go. The system we play and the demands of our organization + 19 year old Yak are incompatible.

I do not believe he has reached his ceiling nor do I believe he is a lost cause. But when speaking of his value right now, I don't pay the price I would pay if he didn't have those concerns.

Again, I'm not leaving anything out. And I'll go back to the original sources on each article.

1. Yakupov's statements:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...031/story.html

These are his statements to the original reporter, Joanne Ireland. I bolded the relevant part.

2. Russian Scout:

http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/16/russian...has-no-future/

The short of it is. If he doesn't change his game, he has no NHL future. Yak says he doesn't want to change his game, thinks if he plays HIS game better he will improve.

Impasse.

Since he's struggling I'm siding with the scout and I'm not paying Larsson, a kid who has no red flags to speak of right now, for him.
Media Lesson #1, pay attention. Media sources (Your Ms. Ireland is notorious for this) rarely report a full quote. It's easier and works better to use a shorter clip. Especially when in one sentence, there is something that is said that could be seen as controversial without the remainder of the sentence. I wish I had the soundbyte to show you the full quote, not just this journalists hacked up version of it, but I don't. They played it on TSN1260 a few times though.

The short of it is this. Don't take everything you read from a journalist to be the gospel. This is a perfect example of a reporter "TMZ'ing" something to get a buzz story, rather than reporting the facts.

EDIT - as per your "rose colored glasses" statement, there are none here. I'm saying facts because I know more of the story than you do. That's all.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Oh yeah. As a Senators fan I have multiple reasons to not like Russian players. Yashin, Kovalev, Kaigorodov, Bashkirov, Filatov. I still think Yakupov is getting a horribly raw deal.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I never mentioned Larsson. I am a Canadian Senators fan that was born and raised in Ottawa. I have never met a Russian or an Oilers fan.

What rose colored glasses?
I was speaking generally. Sorry. Only the first part was for you . I have a bad habit of rambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Media Lesson #1, pay attention. Media sources (Your Ms. Ireland is notorious for this) rarely report a full quote. It's easier and works better to use a shorter clip. Especially when in one sentence, there is something that is said that could be seen as controversial without the remainder of the sentence. I wish I had the soundbyte to show you the full quote, not just this journalists hacked up version of it, but I don't. They played it on TSN1260 a few times though.

The short of it is this. Don't take everything you read from a journalist to be the gospel. This is a perfect example of a reporter "TMZ'ing" something to get a buzz story, rather than reporting the facts.
I completely agree and I admit I am certainly not as familiar with your media as you are.

If you have the full sound clip, I'd love to hear it. If you do not, then I have to go by what I have. I can't take your word for that. Because you might be a little biased, naturally, when defending your stud prospect. We all would be.

Old
12-10-2013, 05:42 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
I was speaking generally. Sorry. Only the first part was for you . I have a bad habit of rambling.

I completely agree and I admit I am certainly not as familiar with your media as you are.

If you have the full sound clip, I'd love to hear it. If you do not, then I have to go by what I have. I can't take your word for that. Because you might be a little biased, naturally, when defending your stud prospect. We all would be.
I work in Communications, there are no "rose colored glasses" going on when I look at media and listen to quotes. I am pretty good at telling which one's are legit and which ones are forced. You can "go by what you have" if you like, or you can realize that what you have isn't even a full conversation, or line of questioning, and is obviously a quote pulled out for buzz value.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:10 PM
SephF
See you next time

not to mention that Russian scout is Dallas Eakins friend and old teammate, there's some speculation that he asked him to help light a fire under Yakupov's ass.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:04 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Yakupov's stock is low because he is underperforming. His potential isn't any lower than it was before, he still has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer. There's clearly risk though in that he hasn't shown consistency at the NHL level yet (not uncommon for a young player). For these reasons you won't see Yakupov get traded. Too much risk for a team trading for Yakupov to offer what he's worth. People want to buy low on Yakupov but the Oilers aren't gonna sell low, why would they?

Offering quantity for quality isn't going to interest the Oilers. Their needs are top-pairing defensemen, a no.2 center with size and two-way ability, and a top 6 power forward. The way you get those players in a trade is by trading quality for quality, which is why Yakupov will not be traded for a grab bag of another team's spare parts.

Yakupov's value is a high quality player on your team that your team doesn't want to give up. Not worth it you say? Good. The Oilers don't want to trade Yakupov so it's not gonna happen anyways. So why do some Oilers fans want to trade him you say? There is a disproportionate amount of emotional, impatient fans with poor judgement on the Oilers board because of the team's seven (soon to be eight) year vacation from the playoffs.
So if the bold is true, how about
MDZ + Girardi + Brassard + Boyle + Rangers 2014 1st
for
Yakupov, J. Schultz + Edmonton 2014 1st

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:07 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
A professional scout said that if he doesn't change he's not going to make it in the NHL. Yakupov says he's going to try much harder and continue playing his game but says, and i quote "i'm not going to change my game."

He's struggling mightily right now. My point is that because of the above reasons no team in their right mind is going to pay a premium for a player that some scouts (heck his own national team's scouts) say may not even end up making it.

For the Devils, specifically, he's a no go. The system we play and the demands of our organization + 19 year old Yak are incompatible.

I do not believe he has reached his ceiling nor do I believe he is a lost cause. But when speaking of his value right now, I don't pay the price I would pay if he didn't have those concerns.

Again, I'm not leaving anything out. And I'll go back to the original sources on each article.

1. Yakupov's statements:

These are his statements to the original reporter, Joanne Ireland. I bolded the relevant part.

2. Russian Scout:

The short of it is. If he doesn't change his game, he has no NHL future. Yak says he doesn't want to change his game, thinks if he plays HIS game better he will improve.

Impasse.

Since he's struggling I'm siding with the scout and I'm not paying Larsson, a kid who has no red flags to speak of right now, for him.
Excellent post!
Some people treat Larsson like he wuz Hedman, which is not true.
Still Larsson is bonafide.

I think Yak is bonafide as a sniper, which is why I would consider the right package for him to Rangers, given that is a need for us.

But sniper at this point is all he offers, and there is risk if he is in the wrong system.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:39 PM
missinthejets

Quote:

1. Yakupov's statements:

2. Russian Scout:

Impasse.

Why are you taking what a young guy who doesn't speak english great yet THAT literally? Looking at the entire quote in context it is very clear to see what he is actually trying to say... He's saying that he's not going to change his game to play like a grinder, he is still a guy who wants to play with the puck on his stick. And that's a very fair and not at all crazy thing for him to say. He can play his game in the NHL and have a lot of success, he doesn't have to turn into the guy who only skates around forechecking and does nothing creative with the puck.

But noooooo we'll just pretend that there's some big refusal to work harder at the defensive game. He's working on it, the problem is that he just doesn't get it right now and the struggles are clearly having and affect on his confidence and level of play.

missinthejets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
shogun99

Anyone that actually has watched an Oiler game knows that Yakupov is one of the hardest workers on the team. His biggest problem is his defensive game and board work but that will become better as he matures and gets stronger. On the PP opposing teams are giving his shot a ton of respect and you'll see two players covering him so he doesn't get it off.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:15 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
he just scored a goal....ramp down the hate for a day!!!

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Lol goal and assist 1st period and rang a rocket off the post

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Lol goal and assist 1st period and rang a rocket off the post
Amazing what happens when you play him with a great player he has chemistry with instead of randomly through the line-up.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Rpro

Threads like this are going to be so fun to look back on and laugh.

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:50 PM
sabres81

being edm they need top 4 dmen and sandpaper so would something around one or two of foligno/myers/ott + pick start the talks

sabres81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:38 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres81 View Post
being edm they need top 4 dmen and sandpaper so would something around one or two of foligno/myers/ott + pick start the talks
I actually proposed Myers, Foligno and Ott or a 2nd for Yakupov a while ago. Reactions were split, from fans of both teams.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:41 AM
sailorjerry96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Amazing what happens when you play him with a great player he has chemistry with instead of randomly through the line-up.
somewhere out there Chris Kunitz is laughing

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 01:03 AM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I actually proposed Myers, Foligno and Ott or a 2nd for Yakupov a while ago. Reactions were split, from fans of both teams.
I wouldn't trade Myers alone for Yakupov. Your proposal is ridiculous.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:46 AM
jgoud*

Quote:

Well you'll be glad to know that oiler fans and management would never make that trade either, so no need to worry about losing Larsson to some who is "less valuable"

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I wouldn't trade Myers alone for Yakupov. Your proposal is ridiculous.
In your opinion. Myers seems to have turned things around, but you can't deny that he has had a great deal of inconsistency, much more than a "sophomore slump" like Yakupov is currently in. The upside is also very much in Yakupov's favor. Some Buffalo fans liked the proposal (none seemed to hung up on Myers, most of the disagreement came from Foligno), some hated it. Some of my fellow Oiler fans liked it, some hated it. Personally, I think its pretty fair. Buffalo gets a future top line forward with 40 goal potential, something they are lacking, and Edmonton gets a possible top pair defenseman, and a good depth grinder with upside. Both teams in this deal are banking on potential, its a high risk, high reward deal for both sides.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:11 AM
TylerSVT*

Goal and Assist last night.

Yak>>>Crosby.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote