HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Decisions need to be made, but which ones?

Old
12-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
Why would either of those teams do those deals? Voracek and Simmonds have been brutal most of the year.

we already had a discussion where agreed with Panthers fans about a deal involving simmer and kulikov and Jets need a young top 6 RW and top LHD

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
we already had a discussion where agreed with Panthers fans about a deal involving simmer and kulikov and Jets need a young top 6 RW and top LHD

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
That has literally nothing to do with whether or not either team would want to do those deals.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That doesn't mean the GM's of these said teams see it that way.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Delete

Last edited by Kevin Danko: 12-10-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: delete
Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
That has literally nothing to do with whether or not either team would want to do those deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That doesn't mean the GM's of these said teams see it that way.
okay don't kill me guys i was just wanted to say that those two other teams and according to their fans they would be very pleased with the return that they're getting from us

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
okay don't kill me guys i was just wanted to say that those two other teams and according to their fans they would be very pleased with the return that they're getting from us
Which should be a pretty good indication that it's not a good trade for us to make.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 02:24 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Please be kidding..
Are YOU kidding? Hartnell's shot >> Voracek's shot AINEC

Hartnell just can't skate, and he's a moron...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 07:42 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think the decisions that need to be made are hard decisions. It's pretty simple - if the Flyers are out of contention in mid-January, then it's time to go into full sell mode and start shopping the hell out of players. If I'm Holmgren, I'm asking guys like Hartnell to waive his NMC, asking Timonen for a list of teams he wants to be moved to and am listening to all offers on all players minus Couturier, Giroux and Mason. Maybe even wait right up to the trade deadline to drive up the value of some players.

Of course, these moves also beg to ask another question - would people be able to stomach a proper rebuild? I'm talking out of the playoffs for another couple of seasons before seeing some viable results (similar to the rebuild the LA Kings went through).....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Trade Voracek and Grossmann for Buff and Frolik
Trade Simmonds for Kulikov and Mathias

Schenn Giroux Vinny
Downie Couts Read
Hartnell Mathias Frolik
Raffl Hall Rinaldo

Kimmo Buff
Streit Coburn
Kulikov Schenn

Voracek and Buff are both UFA's in 2.5 years. The 3rd line becomes the shutdown/ 2 way line. Couts line is pushed to become more offensive.
So the Panthers are trading a potential #1 defender AND a player similar to Simmonds, for Wayne Simmonds. Count me in. You think they would throw in Huberdeau if we added Cousins?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Curufinwe

The Metro is so weak they won't be out of it in mid-January unless they lose every game between now and then.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:01 AM
xifentoozlerix

So phickle here...

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:27 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The Metro is so weak they won't be out of it in mid-January unless they lose every game between now and then.
The Metro might be weak, but looking at things, they need to catch or pass Carolina, the Rangers and New Jersey. I don't know if this current club is good enough to do that. If they haven't caught those three by mid January, then yeah, I think they might have to concede. You know Sather will be willing to make a big splash to make a push to the playoffs and with the Devils not owning a first this year, they might do the same to compensate for not having a first.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad year to not qualify for the playoffs. The Flyers can clear off some salary from the books, restock the pipeline with some real good prospects and get some draft picks to either replenish the system or use as trade items at the draft.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So the Panthers are trading a potential #1 defender AND a player similar to Simmonds, for Wayne Simmonds. Count me in. You think they would throw in Huberdeau if we added Cousins?
Kulikov is not a potential #1 defender.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think the decisions that need to be made are hard decisions. It's pretty simple - if the Flyers are out of contention in mid-January, then it's time to go into full sell mode and start shopping the hell out of players. If I'm Holmgren, I'm asking guys like Hartnell to waive his NMC, asking Timonen for a list of teams he wants to be moved to and am listening to all offers on all players minus Couturier, Giroux and Mason. Maybe even wait right up to the trade deadline to drive up the value of some players.

Of course, these moves also beg to ask another question - would people be able to stomach a proper rebuild? I'm talking out of the playoffs for another couple of seasons before seeing some viable results (similar to the rebuild the LA Kings went through).....
I would ONLY be able to get on board if we had ourselves a #1 D man.... but as you say if we are sucking to **** come mid-jan, I too am asking to trade ours for theirs.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

We're on the same page my friend. Couldn't agree more.

Keep Giroux, Couturier and Mason and put everyone else on the table for the right return.

If we do go into full rebuild though, we absolutely have to throw everything at whatever team has the pick that's going to get Ekblad. To go into a rebuild with a defense cupboard of:

Ekblad
Gostisbehere
Morin
Hagg

Would be very nice.

Last edited by orange is better: 12-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
we may have to add in Jay Rosehill just to sweeten it

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:47 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
The only player we should probably be concerned with moving is Hartnell.

The rest can stay. Except Meszaros. He should be shot into space.
I agree. People are overreacting (me too, in game day threads ).

However, if Mez would take a huge cut and sign a "prove it to us" contract, then I wouldn't be against it necessarily. The ONLY reason would why would be if bringing another defenseman in proves very prohibitive. This defense needs bodies.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I agree. People are overreacting (me too, in game day threads ).

However, if Mez would take a huge cut and sign a "prove it to us" contract, then I wouldn't be against it necessarily. The ONLY reason would why would be if bringing another defenseman in proves very prohibitive. This defense needs bodies.
Personally, I'd rather guys like Lauridsen and Alt get playing time with the big club than let Meszaros get anymore and I was a big Meszaros fan. It's clear he's not the same defender since his back surgery and that his legs aren't what they used to be. It's like watching Ryan Parent all over again. Back injuries and subsequent surgeries are a killer.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather guys like Lauridsen and Alt get playing time with the big club than let Meszaros get anymore and I was a big Meszaros fan. It's clear he's not the same defender since his back surgery and that his legs aren't what they used to be. It's like watching Ryan Parent all over again. Back injuries and subsequent surgeries are a killer.
this roster has enough of what Lauridsen and Alt bring. Put Gus in the lineup and send Mez to the pressbox for the rest of the season.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
this roster has enough of what Lauridsen and Alt bring. Put Gus in the lineup and send Mez to the pressbox for the rest of the season.
or simply convert out best d man into a d man - coots

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
We're on the same page my friend. Couldn't agree more.

Keep Giroux, Couturier and Mason and put everyone else on the table for the right return.

If we do go into full rebuild though, we absolutely have to throw everything at whatever team has the pick that's going to get Ekblad. To go into a rebuild with a defense cupboard of:

Ekblad
Gostisbehere
Morin
Hagg

Would be very nice.
For me, it all depends on who the Flyers would get in return. If the Flyers can get a defenseman who projects to be a number one guy, then I'd have no problems skipping on an Ekblad and taking a guy like Sam Bennett or Michael Dal Colle. Of course, getting that projected number one guy is a lot easier said than done.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I don't think the Flyers need to tank for multiple seasons to get back to be a contender. I think there is a bad mix up front and a terribly made defense corp but the Flyers have a much better system than they did back in 2007 when they turned it around in one season. They currently have 4 d-prospects with legitimate NHL upside with two coming soon in Alt and Gostibehere and a sure fire top 9 center prospect, Laughton. They are inline for a top 10 pick this year as well. Sign a couple of free agents like Moulson and Girardi or Stralman and move some forward depth for a defenseman or two.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 01:25 PM
CyborgLindros

Biggest change might not be a direct solution. We need a guy to replace Kimmo, and Streit. AT least 1 guy with a similar skill set to Kimmo. Someone in the league right now preferably. I'd send a package around B Schenn for that any day.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 02:14 PM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

I agree with Orange is Better, the players we need to keep are Couturier, Giroux and Mason. Unless some amazing offer comes around, I would prefer to keep Read, Grossmann and Voracek. But the rest I would be actively shopping.

I would like to target one of the top wingers in this years free agent crop like Mouslon, Gaborik or Vanek. I would also like to sign Dan Girardi, or Dan Boyle on a 2 year contract. I definitely want to draft Ekblad, so I would assume it would probably take two first and a player like Simmonds or Coburn.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote