HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres' defenders (and Ekblad)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2013, 08:29 PM
BStinson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncebounce View Post
Some combination of Nyquist/mantha/picks. Not necessarily all 3
I would have no problem with prospect + pick I am curious what other DRW fans think. Babcock I don't think would part ways with Mantha he is in love with him but given how long he has stashed Nyquist I would think he would be tradeable for the right pieces.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
If the Avs were having negotiation problems, ROR for Ekblad would be something I think would help both clubs immensely.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
So, being a Sabres fan, the season ended about a month ago and draft talk began mid August. Recently its heated up as the realization has set in that it will be a struggle to hit 20 wins this season. This all means we have an almost guaranteed top 2 pick. Yay us...

If current draft rankings hold true and Reinhart ends up the #1 pick at the draft, we end up staring at Aaron Ekblad.

Just the second player to be granted exceptional status in the OHL. Ekblad is a true "two-way" defenseman. He makes great passes, uses his size to his advantage, plays the body, quarterbacks the power play, can take over the game in any of the three zones and has great hockey sense. -Eliteprospects.com

The catch is that we currently have 5 potential top 4 D-men already on the roster. Drafting Ekblad would give us a 6th, forcing our hand into a trade. What we need are top 3 forwards younger than 25.

Inside Sabre nation we are torn, 1 faction believes you take Ekblad, he gets the inside track to being the #1 and you move Myers/Pysyk/Risto/Zadorov to bring in a top 6 forward. The second faction believes we need a top 3 forward regardless of who is available. The third faction believes Ekblad can be dealt for a top 3 forward under 25 who has more value then the crop of forwards available at picks 3-7, or at least collect a top 6 forward while moving down into the 3-7 range.

So what value is actually out there? Make a deal for Ekblad, Risto, Myers, Pysyk, Zadorov and send us back an equivalent forward under 25. Or would you take Draisaitl/Bennet/Nylander/Dal Colle at 2 and let Ekblad slide. Please notice Ehrhoff is not on this list, there are contract complications that make him virtually untradeable.
Take best player available.

The Sabres are a few years away from being a good team. Now is not the time to start plugging specific holes. Now is the time to simply just load up on good talent.

Even if they drafted Ekblad they don't need to deal another young D right away.

Having a plethora of young D simply creates some job competition right away and the Sabres will need someone to eat up the almost 20 minutes a night Tallinder is eating.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Beerz

Simmonds , Schenn, R'OR don't solve our lack of elite offensive talent (potential) .. Yak has potential but ..risk is super high.

I'd be happy keeping Eks and adding him to the pool... if something pops up...take it... otherwise wait for 2015 when we get at least one of McDavid or Eichel ...plus hopefully another top 10 talent from Isles pick.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
CanadienShark

You take Ekblad and move other d-men like Pysyk.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:06 PM
jwillo1829

Draft Ekblad, and put him on the 4th line with Scott, and McCormick . He'll for sure develop a good two way game. Scott could also teach Ekblad on how to play both defensive, and forward positions.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:12 PM
BStinson

Really hard to say though because prospect rankings will change over time so Reinhart may fall into your laps or maybe a someone with better potential.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:52 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Who scores goals?

Old
12-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Sharppi
6 more years of Dub.

vCash: 827
Zucker for Pysyk?

Old
12-11-2013, 04:01 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Zucker for Pysyk?
I'd do this. Pysyk could turn out to be the #3 defenseman the Wild need. Not sure what Sabres fans think.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

:

2014 1st (I'd guess ~15th, maybe earlier with Stamkos injured)
Adam Erne (projected 1st rounder last year, slid to #33)
Brett Connolly (6th overall pick in 2010, hasn't clicked in NHL yet but he's only 21)

:

Ekblad

You get some wingers and we get some defense. I suspect it's not quite enough in terms of value though.

Last edited by Pontius Palat: 12-11-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old
12-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Or, trade up and take Reinhart. Or, just draft another forward.

Seth Jones was slotted at #2, he went 4th.

Who knows, maybe the Sabre's are high on another forward like Bennett?

Old
12-11-2013, 06:26 AM
IceDaddy
#MeltdownforMathews

The Sabres are in full rebuild mode. You dont trade away young guys or picks. Draft the BPA and let them develop. They can worry about trading for needs once they are closer to a playoff spot (3-4 years)

Old
12-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'd do this. Pysyk could turn out to be the #3 defenseman the Wild need. Not sure what Sabres fans think.
Interesting. Seems as if Buffalo is giving up more of a proven asset at this point but I love Zuckers speed.

Old
12-11-2013, 08:26 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
The Sabres are in full rebuild mode. You dont trade away young guys or picks. Draft the BPA and let them develop. They can worry about trading for needs once they are closer to a playoff spot (3-4 years)
If you can parlay that pick into a young NHL player with upside deemed similar to the player you'd have drafted, ergo accelerating the rebuild, you do it.

Hypothetically, if Buffalo is staring at Ekblad with Reinhart off the board, and Colorado comes in and offers up O'Reilly and its first for Ekblad (hypothetically, Avs fans), LaFontaine and co. have to consider it - especially when taking into account the abundance of quality prospects and young players on Buffalo's back end.

Perfectly understandable if the Sabres decline, but it has to be considered.

Old
12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
If you can parlay that pick into a young NHL player with upside deemed similar to the player you'd have drafted, ergo accelerating the rebuild, you do it.

Hypothetically, if Buffalo is staring at Ekblad with Reinhart off the board, and Colorado comes in and offers up O'Reilly and its first for Ekblad (hypothetically, Avs fans), LaFontaine and co. have to consider it - especially when taking into account the abundance of quality prospects and young players on Buffalo's back end.

Perfectly understandable if the Sabres decline, but it has to be considered.
I don't necessarily reject your overall point, but IMO O'Reilly does not fit your description. His upside is not that of Ekblad / Reinhart.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Simmonds for Myers
Maybe +
I could get behind that, but there's no way in hell the Flyers should be adding.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:06 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
:

2014 1st (I'd guess ~15th, maybe earlier with Stamkos injured)
Adam Erne (projected 1st rounder last year, slid to #33)
Brett Connolly (6th overall pick in 2010, hasn't clicked in NHL yet but he's only 21)

:

Ekblad

You get some wingers and we get some defense. I suspect it's not quite enough in terms of value though.
Doesn't solve Buffalos lack of elite talent up front. We're not dealing away an elite level talent for anything less. We have a ton of prospects and young players who project into middling roles. Ekblad (maybe + something) for Drouin though...

Old
12-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Still think Drouin for Myers is a good idea for both sides, but that's just me.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:17 AM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I could get behind that, but there's no way in hell the Flyers should be adding.
The way Myers is playing this year, I think the Sabres would just hold on to him. He's finally turning into the player they thought he could be and unless elite talents coming back, Buffalo has no reason to trade him.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
I don't necessarily reject your overall point, but IMO O'Reilly does not fit your description. His upside is not that of Ekblad / Reinhart.
That's fair.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:25 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
We should probably just keep our young d corps and draft a top line forward.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
habs offer eller for either one of risto/myers/zado + armia
Counter offer

Buffalo offers McCormick for Galchenyuk and Subban

Old
12-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Doesn't solve Buffalos lack of elite talent up front. We're not dealing away an elite level talent for anything less. We have a ton of prospects and young players who project into middling roles. Ekblad (maybe + something) for Drouin though...
Fair enough, but Drouin definitely isn't going anywhere. If you're looking for elite talent then Kucherov+ is all Tampa could really do for you. His ceiling is as high as anyone's and he'd get to be reunited with Grigorenko.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:39 AM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
Fair enough, but Drouin definitely isn't going anywhere. If you're looking for elite talent then Kucherov+ is all Tampa could really do for you. His ceiling is as high as anyone's and he'd get to be reunited with Grigorenko.
IF the sun and moon align with Mars and Buffalo drafts Ekblad, why would they trade a Blue chip prospect for a good prospect? If Buffalo wants a good prospect, they'll draft one with the numerous draft picks they acquired.I mean Grigorenko has a super high ceiling also but I don'y see Tampa trading Drouin for him.

Last edited by sabrescupbound: 12-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Closed Thread