HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Streit

Old
12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 500
Gus has turned into the new Lasse Kukkonen. Everyone complained every time Kukkonen wasn't in the lineup because he was apparently so good defensively and had untapped offensive potential. The Flyers jerked him around for a few years using him as a 6-7th defenseman and eventually waived him when he was 27, in the prime of his career. Nobody picked him up and nobody signed him and he eventually left for the KHL. Was he an NHL player? Maybe. Was he as good as people made him out to be? Obviously not if no other NHL team cared to give him a shot. Is Gus an NHL player? Yeah, probably. Is he better than people make him out to be? I would say, yes. I think he's a 5-6th defenseman and probably won't be much more. He's not good defensively and not good enough offensively to make up for it.

Back to the actual topic of the thread which is Streit, if that guy attempts another spin move at the blueline and coughs up the puck I'm gonna lose my freakin mind.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Gus has turned into the new Lasse Kukkonen. Everyone complained every time Kukkonen wasn't in the lineup because he was apparently so good defensively and had untapped offensive potential. The Flyers jerked him around for a few years using him as a 6-7th defenseman and eventually waived him when he was 27, in the prime of his career. Nobody picked him up and nobody signed him and he eventually left for the KHL. Was he an NHL player? Maybe. Was he as good as people made him out to be? Obviously not if no other NHL team cared to give him a shot. Is Gus an NHL player? Yeah, probably. Is he better than people make him out to be? I would say, yes. I think he's a 5-6th defenseman and probably won't be much more. He's not good defensively and not good enough offensively to make up for it.

Back to the actual topic of the thread which is Streit, if that guy attempts another spin move at the blueline and coughs up the puck I'm gonna lose my freakin mind.
I think you mean Bartulis..more than Kukkonen?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 07:59 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
I think you mean Bartulis..more than Kukkonen?
Nope. Way more fanboys of Kukkonen than Bartulis who also turned out to suck when given minutes.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...light=kukkonen

Some posts from that thread. They sound very familiar, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus* View Post
I honestly think Kukks would block a point shot with his face....

This guy is just crazy when it comes to shot blocking..
Unfortunately he did nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthesun View Post
I will be the first to say that he's not a God-given gift: he's a solid 3rd pairing, bubble 2nd pairing stay at home D-man. But I think he was far more consistent than most of the blueliners that are playing now. He's no speed demon, but his positioning is sound and he makes smart, simple plays.
Lol @ bubble 2nd pairing dman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I feel really bad for Lasse. He works so damn hard each and every game, and really does a damn good job, scarificing himself for the team every chance he has. It's criminal that he isnt at least inserted into the lineup every now and then
So criminal that nobody else wanted him after he was let go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Lasse doesnt deserve to be the 7th guy, he's honestly my fav flyers d-man

Lasse >>>>>>> Vandermeer
Fav Flyers dman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas* View Post
Kukkonen doesn't deserve the character assassination that he'll inevitably face in Philadelphia. Trade him. He deserves a legitimate chance, whether it be with Philadelphia or some other team.
Not only would nobody trade for him but nobody would claim him off of waivers or sign him when he was a UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer nasty* View Post
Free Lasse

He was freed to the KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx27 View Post
He looked decent tonight. Blocked some shots and all around serviceable. Ive liked him and think benching him outside of injury was idiotic. I dont think hes top 2 by any means but def a good 4-5 or so. Much better than certain shinhunters we have. I hope hes ok after that one blocked shot, any word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Someone needs to bring a sign to the game to hold up down near the glass during warmups.....something written in Finnish directed at Lasse telling him we're sorry our coach is a frigging moron...or a vajavainen, jälkeenjäänyt, jokerikannattaja, vajukki, ameeba, hidas....one of those I guess.

Or...(in Finnish), "Lasse, what did you do, screw Stevens' wife?"

Something like that.
A good 4-5? Lol Nuff said.

Last edited by StoneHands: 12-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Ok....

Anyway..Streit is Greg Hawgood redux. Actually I take it back...he is moe mantha.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

You are right Gustafsson sucks.... I guess that makes Mez an AHL defender then. Gustafsson should be playing over him EASILY. Mez is getting destroyed out there.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:54 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You are right Gustafsson sucks.... I guess that makes Mez an AHL defender then. Gustafsson should be playing over him EASILY. Mez is getting destroyed out there.
Actually I didn't ever say that. I said he's a 5-6. That's the problem with these boards. Players are either legends or they suck. There's no in between and if someone suggests it they're shunned and made out to be an idiot. I specifically said that Gus is an NHL defenseman but that he's a 5-6. Unfortunately we have a ton of 5-6 defenseman. The same way that people talk about Mez like he's an ECHL defenseman. Everything is exaggerated to the extreme.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

They all look like AHLers though.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Actually I didn't ever say that. I said he's a 5-6. That's the problem with these boards. Players are either legends or they suck. There's no in between and if someone suggests it they're shunned and made out to be an idiot.
Just like that time I suggested Gustafsson might, just might, be better than Streit defensively.
Quote:
I specifically said that Gus is an NHL defenseman but that he's a 5-6. Unfortunately we have a ton of 5-6 defenseman. The same way that people talk about Mez like he's an ECHL defenseman. Everything is exaggerated to the extreme.
Gus, right now, is a solid bottom-pairing defenseman. And with a little experience, maybe he becomes a little better. Maybe he doesn't. We know he will not get better without that experience, ice-time which we're currently (and unjustifiably) throwing in the direction of Meszaros and Streit who have no additional upside. They are what they are at this stage. That's what has me perturbed -- not that we're pissing away another opportunity to attempt to develop a defenseman.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 12:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

if Gus was playing like Mez has in the last week he would be banished to the ECHL.
Mez on the other hand gets rewarded with shift after shift.
fantastic.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 12:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Just like that time I suggested Gustafsson might, just might, be better than Streit defensively.
Gus, right now, is a solid bottom-pairing defenseman. And with a little experience, maybe he becomes a little better. Maybe he doesn't. We know he will not get better without that experience, ice-time which we're currently (and unjustifiably) throwing in the direction of Meszaros and Streit who have no additional upside. They are what they are at this stage. That's what has me perturbed -- not that we're pissing away another opportunity to attempt to develop a defenseman.
this is the thing that some folks dont get around here. at all. Gus has played 75 NHL games. 75. He plays for 10 games. he sits. he plays for 8 games he sits. he plays for 5 games he sits. yes he has had his bad games. but he is also still a young kid in this league trying to find his way. He needs to play thru his mistakes and learn from them. He isnt going to learn a ******* thing sitting in the pressbox getting benched for having a bad game.
Pisses me off at the double standard in this ******* organization. Mez sucks and plays stupid hockey? he goes right out there the next game. Streit turns the puck over leading to the GWG goal the other way. he is in the lineup the next game.
Cant wait until Ghost and Morin get to the NHL. They will have to be perfect. or they will have their development stagnated by stupid ****ing personel decisions.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:50 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Actually I didn't ever say that. I said he's a 5-6. That's the problem with these boards. Players are either legends or they suck. There's no in between and if someone suggests it they're shunned and made out to be an idiot. I specifically said that Gus is an NHL defenseman but that he's a 5-6. Unfortunately we have a ton of 5-6 defenseman. The same way that people talk about Mez like he's an ECHL defenseman. Everything is exaggerated to the extreme.
Eh just like on these boards people seem to ignore facts when they are presented for their own biased opinions. Mez has played like he is an AHL defender. Advanced atats and just watching him play has proved this. That is a fact. Gustafsson might be a 5-6, but I think he is one of our better 5-6s. Come on man, you cant tell me you cant see how the organization favors veterans no matter how they play. If your young and make a mistake you are held accountable. If your older and been in the league awhile you are told its ok just try and not do it again. Honestly man if you can not see this this is where our conversation ends.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 09:26 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Eh just like on these boards people seem to ignore facts when they are presented for their own biased opinions. Mez has played like he is an AHL defender. Advanced atats and just watching him play has proved this. That is a fact. Gustafsson might be a 5-6, but I think he is one of our better 5-6s. Come on man, you cant tell me you cant see how the organization favors veterans no matter how they play. If your young and make a mistake you are held accountable. If your older and been in the league awhile you are told its ok just try and not do it again. Honestly man if you can not see this this is where our conversation ends.
I do understand that and I've already said that I would prefer to see Gus in the lineup over Mez just to see what we have. We won't know if Gus should be resigned without playing him to see if he can play every night and learn from his mistakes. All I'm saying is that people over react and exagerate how good and bad players are. I've seen it a lot that Gus has potential to be a top 4 defenseman and I personally just don't see it. It's possible but just not probable. I see him topping out at a 5-6. It's not often that you see an undersized defenseman that puts up 25-20 points while playing below average defense in a top 4. That's all I'm saying.

I completely agree that the Flyers play vets over young guys even and the veterans arent always held accountable for their mistakes but the Flyers aren't the only team that does that. If you really think the Flyers are going to sign Streit to the deal they gave him and then 3 months later bench him I don't know what to tell you, it just isn't going to happen. As I said, I think he should be in for Mez but I don't know their reasoning, they could be trying to keep him in the lineup in hopes that someone gives them a pick for him, who knows. All I know is that it's not like Gus is so great and such a difference maker that it's some crime not to have him in the lineup that some people make it seem.

We agree on most points, really. I just think people overrate Gus when trying to make their point that he should be in the lineup.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I think Gus is overrated on these boards as I've said.....agree he is at best a 4 or 5. Having said this Mesz is a complete train wreck. My only guess as to why he is playing is that the extra work he has put in with Lappy off the ice etc may play a part in Berube rewarding and giving him multiple opportunities to regain his form or some semblance of it. So far his form is shmoo-like....

Old
12-12-2013, 09:52 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if Gus was playing like Mez has in the last week he would be banished to the ECHL.
Mez on the other hand gets rewarded with shift after shift.
fantastic.
Mesz has always been subpar in his own zone.

He can skate, has decent size, and is at his best when he can join the rush and pinch. He will create some havoc and even score a dirty goal every once in a while which will fool coaches long enough to overlook how many turnovers and missed assignments he will be guilty of until he does something good again...rinse and repeat... set up one stunning goal then get caught on the ice for 10 awful goals against over and over again.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 02:42 PM
KaraLupin
카라

I think that we will see Streit step his play up more when Kimmo is gone next year and he will be THE man they look to.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I think that we will see Streit step his play up more when Kimmo is gone next year and he will be THE man they look to.
Not really. Streit doesn't have Kimmo's quickness or defensive awareness. Or his puck skills, apparently. Maybe pared with Coburn who is a better skater would help Streit's game.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:58 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

this is good stuff

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:37 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
yea not really. He is serviceable, but pretty good on the pp. people take kimmo for granted, but he's nails on the pp. Streit is a decent stopgap there.

We do need some young help, fast.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:54 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

I never thought I'd say this after part of last season and beginning of this season, but if Timonen was up for it I would re-sign him for one more year. He started out slow but has really been playing well lately. We'll definitely miss him when he's gone.

As for Streit, I think someone must have told him to shoot more on the power play and he listened. I like it. He's also been surprisingly decent defensively this season. Now, if he could just cut down on those brutal turnovers...

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 10:40 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 06:05 AM
SwissGrog

How is Streit faring? I heard a rumour that he willl be the captain of the swiss selection at the OG

SwissGrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:45 AM
bennysflyers16

I think Streit has been pretty good as of late, definietly getting better as the year goes on ?

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think Streit has been pretty good as of late, definietly getting better as the year goes on ?
Yup...agreed.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Definitely stepping up as of late. Has had some great looks with his shooting and passing.

01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

he's still awful in his own zone

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote