HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Hollweg

View Poll Results: What should we do with Hollweg???
Send him down to AHL, call up Byers, Korpikoski, Moore 10 9.26%
Package him for a real 2ed line centre 1 0.93%
Put him in better offensive situation like 2ed Powerplay to replace Hall 11 10.19%
Keep him on the line that he is on 86 79.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Ryan Hollweg

What should we do with Hollweg??? I noticed which kinda shocked me he has 0 points in 43 games. Heck even Orr has 1 point. Hollweg has shown some good moves in the offensive zone, and I know offense aint the reason he is in the NHL, but he had some good chances. Maybe we should send him to the Wolfpack so he get his offensive confindence going or put him with better offensive players on 2ed PP unit to replace Hall. I know he is our only big hitter up front, so maybe calling up Byers, Moore or Korpikoski to replace him for the time being aint a bad idea. Once Orr is able to play, I say waive Orr and deal Hossa or Hall for a draft pick.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Nich

he does his role and does it well. stop expecting him to be a player he isn't. thats what you do.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 07:49 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
he does his role and does it well. stop expecting him to be a player he isn't. thats what you do.
well he did put up decent numbers in juniors, so he does have skill. He cant be worse than Hall is on the 2ed PP. I say give him a chance to succeed.

Old
01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
The Thomas J.*

Leave him where he is.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Fletch

Hollweg's a left winger...

as is Prucha - are you proposing to replace Prucha on the PP with Hollweg?

The difference between Hollweg and Hall on the PP is that Hall scored 10 PP goals last season, and PP goals in previous seasons, and Hollweg has two career goals and zero PP goals. His zero points and -9 this season, despite his physical play, is a cause for concern. You want a guy with as many minutes as him in as many games to be more productive, and to be on the ice for less goals against - often, partially that measures his effectiveness on the ice.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Edge

I'm of two mindsets.

The first is that Hollweg has not added the production I expect from him and frankly at 23 years old that's just not good enough.

The second is that I'd personally like to throw Hollweg a bone every once in a while to see if he can produce in different situations.

Ultimately production is what will determine where Hollweg goes. Without it he's a 4th liner who bounces around as more skilled/younger options become available for the teams he plays for.

With it, he possibly becomes a very valuable player who can also take a third line shift and team's covet.

Unfortunatly he is slow starting to fall into the same boat as Ortmeyer. Great energy, you root for the guy, but ultimately limited and a player who is going to really have to fight to stay in the NHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I thought this was a joke at first...you can't be serious

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
In The Flesh

I love Hollweg, he is a character player, If you just have superstars, you're a soft team that can't win. All Ranger fans know that.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is not even an issue. cmon jorts.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Keep Hollweg nothing wrong with him, what he lacks in offense he certainly makes up for in intimidation, hitting, and energy. He cant fight but guys know when hes on the ice, they keep their heads up.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
First off: great poll, Jorts, I think this is a serious question.

As for my opinion: I think it's surprising that Hollweg hasn't gotten any points this season, but he's one of those players I watch game-by-game. I really don't think you can add up his contribution to this team by looking at the stats. Granted, it's worrying that he doesn't have any points in 43 games, but there have been several games I've watched where he's made enough of an impact for me to think "I'm glad Ryan Hollweg is on the roster". There are other players who have gotten more points whom I can't recall thinking the same thing about all season.

Hollweg isn't putting up points and he is not irreplaceable. On this team at this time, however, I think he is very valuable.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:22 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
First off: great poll, Jorts, I think this is a serious question.

As for my opinion: I think it's surprising that Hollweg hasn't gotten any points this season, but he's one of those players I watch game-by-game. I really don't think you can add up his contribution to this team by looking at the stats. Granted, it's worrying that he doesn't have any points in 43 games, but there have been several games I've watched where he's made enough of an impact for me to think "I'm glad Ryan Hollweg is on the roster". There are other players who have gotten more points whom I can't recall thinking the same thing about all season.

Hollweg isn't putting up points and he is not irreplaceable. On this team at this time, however, I think he is very valuable.
i agree and he does get good chances, i remember several partial breakaways and some good shots on net. I say put him on the PP, maybe he can be an upgrade over Hall.

Old
01-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I say leave him where he is, he is on the team to bring a physical element which he does well. I understand the idea that all four lines should score,but right now I dont think he is hurting anything with the way he is playing, if anything I think Jagr needs to go to Hartford to get some of his goal scoring back

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

So your plan to improve the power play is to put a guy with 0 points on it??
Or is this more of a "let's get Hollweg a point" kind of thing. If its the latter I think the playoff race is too close and power play goals to important to jeopordize to give a 4th liner a chance to record a point. He's doing just fine playing where he is and the role that is expected of him.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 07:36 AM
shoothepuck

Leave him where he is. While offense is always a good thing, moving him around,( or even dumber, sending him down), to try and get 1-2 points of extra production from him, is ridiculous. Hall is one of the ones that should be tinkered with, as he has shown the potential to score pp goals in the past, and has done nothing here in NY, (3-4, goals?). What good does trading Hossa for a pick do at this point?He is a known, limited entity, we've seen how some NY picks have turned out. Hollweg is NY's hitting machine, let him do what he does best. Asking him to score, and moving him around, is like sending Nylandr to the checking line and asking him to check. Almost all of NY's players should follow Ryans lead, check first shoot later.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Levitate

Leave him on the fourth line as the Rangers energy/checking player. When the Rangers roll four lines, it works out well.

Ultimately, however, I see him getting replaced in the lineup unless he starts putting some of his chances in the net. Down the road, it seems pretty like (to me) that the Rangers will be able to find a 4th line player who hits and contributes more offense than Hollweg is doing right now.

I'm not expecting big numbers out of him by any means, but a goal or assist here and there would certainly help.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Voted leave him where he is.

But...

The only thing i would try is to have Hollweg in the front of the net on the PP. Just to try, maybe in a lopsided game, not perminent.

Hall is the guy that should be doing that, but he hasnt drawn enough attention to himself in that role. I think Hollweg would. Why not give it a shot. Hall blows.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I wasn't aware that anything "needed" to be done with Hollweg...

01-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Larry Melnyk

There's no bigger booster of Ryan Hollweg then yours truly, but gotta admit I am really disappointed in his lack of offensive production...Mainly becasue I thought/think the kid has more to show..I think the kid (and lets remember he is the Rangers youngerst forward) is pressing big time offensively and is making things worese for himself..Needs a puck to bounce off his noggin and into the net or something...

That being said, he has a place on my team anytime..Perfect as a 4th liner but I would not be against a line of Holly-Betts-Orts (which I think is how it will end up)getting 10-12 mins a night in games that requirte more defense and checking and Hollweg being the odd man out (Betts and Orts getting PK time) on nights where offense is needed..ANd I truly think an HBO line can be very valauble in the POs....

OTOH, if we have a healthy ORTS maybe Hollweg is a player some teams might want thrown in on a deal and somebody the Rangers can afford to--given the return..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
In The Flesh

[QUOTE=Larry Melnyk;7596212]There's no bigger booster of Ryan Hollweg then yours truly, but gotta admit I am really disappointed in his lack of offensive production...Mainly becasue I thought/think the kid has more to show..I think the kid (and lets remember he is the Rangers youngerst forward) is pressing big time offensively and is making things worese for himself..Needs a puck to bounce off his noggin and into the net or something...

That being said, he has a place on my team anytime..Perfect as a 4th liner but I would not be against a line of Holly-Betts-Orts (which I think is how it will end up)getting 10-12 mins a night in games that requirte more defense and checking and Hollweg being the odd man out (Betts and Orts getting PK time) on nights where offense is needed..ANd I truly think an HBO line can be very valauble in the POs....

OTOH, if we have a healthy ORTS maybe Hollweg is a player some teams might want thrown in on a deal and somebody the Rangers can afford to--given the return..[/QUOTE]

Keep them both, they both work hard, game in game out. Thats how you get W's, out working teams. Same with Ward, Hossa, and Betts, not Hall, package him.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Keep them both, they both work hard, game in game out. Thats how you get W's, out working teams. Same with Ward, Hossa, and Betts, not Hall, package him.
I agree. I was just admiring the hard work of both Hollweg and Ortemeyer in the Montreal game the other day. It reminded me of last season when the Rangers were beating better and deeper teams through sheer work ethic.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I love Hollweg, he is a character player, If you just have superstars, you're a soft team that can't win. All Ranger fans know that.
True but you also can't have all character/offensivly challanged players either.

Unfortunatly the Rangers seem to have no middle ground/transition line and that hurts.

You either have 100 point players or guys REALLY struggling to get double digit goals.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
DutchShamrock

I actually have been impressed with his offensive chances of late and I am convinced that if he was surrounded by people who actually have any offensive ability he would have some points. He has gotten some hard, accurate shots on net. If his line didn't linger in the corners and if someone got out front, there would be some rebound chances. So for now I'd like to see him keep plugging away and maybe get some shifts with some talent.

That being said, he will have to be pushed out of the lineup in the future as other grinders with offensive ability are ready for the NHL.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I actually have been impressed with his offensive chances of late and I am convinced that if he was surrounded by people who actually have any offensive ability he would have some points. He has gotten some hard, accurate shots on net. If his line didn't linger in the corners and if someone got out front, there would be some rebound chances. So for now I'd like to see him keep plugging away and maybe get some shifts with some talent.

That being said, he will have to be pushed out of the lineup in the future as other grinders with offensive ability are ready for the NHL.
I don't really disagree with you because I was expecting Hollweg to score 5-10 goals this year..He has some tools..One thing that does surprise me is that HOLLWEG doesn't really got the net much at all and is guilty of the same things as his linemate...And I think a big part of the reason is becaue he doesn;t want to get himslef out of position and lead to a goal...And they do their defensiv job well....But, I agree, keep plugging away and soemthing should happen---especially if another forechecker (ORTS) is teamed with him....

As for him being pushed out, could be..THe Rangers are loaded with 3rd-4th liners with a little skill (just like Hollweg) and the guys that play the entire game (especially D) or add somethingthat isn't there (like Hollweg now) will be the ones that stay..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Edge

Part of me does wonder what Hollweg can do with at least one linemate who is at least slightly more skilled.

However I am surprised that he hasn't generated at least SOME offense. Even 5 goals, 10 points something along those lines.

I saw Hollweg as a guy who could score 10-15 goals, 20-30 points in the NHL but I am just amazed at how that hasn't materialized. Yeah he's the youngest player on the team, but he's still a guy who is 23 going on 24 sometime in the first half of the year you expect at least something.

What's really scary is just how valuable he'd be if he could add scoring. Not a lot of scoring, but just 10 goals and 10 assists even.