HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
The Dream
User Registered

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Orange is betters line up looks pretty good but I'd rather re sign Downie for cheaper than sign. Callahan for nearly 5 mil to be on our 3rd line. I do like the idea of signing Gaborik though. We could use someone with his kind of speed and shot. I'd also keep Adam Hall. He's been solid all year. I could live without Kris Russell as well. I'd rather leave that spot open for someone younger.
I do agree. After watching Dallas fly by some of our players, it became painfully obvious we need some speed. Gaborik would give us some much needed speed.

Callahan vs. Downie. Callahan is better, but if we can resign downie for under 3 million is Callahan really 2 million dollars better than Downie? I don't think so.

And as for Russell, personally, I would be okay if they signed him, but I would much rather trade a couple picks and maybe a player, to get Ekblad. I believe he could be a really successful player for us next year, maybe not Seth Jones level, but probably close.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:05 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I do agree. After watching Dallas fly by some of our players, it became painfully obvious we need some speed. Gaborik would give us some much needed speed.

Callahan vs. Downie. Callahan is better, but if we can resign downie for under 3 million is Callahan really 2 million dollars better than Downie? I don't think so.

And as for Russell, personally, I would be okay if they signed him, but I would much rather trade a couple picks and maybe a player, to get Ekblad. I believe he could be a really successful player for us next year, maybe not Seth Jones level, but probably close.
I would also be totally fine with maybe trading kimmo for a late 1st at the deadline and using that pick + our own + something else to move up and snag Ekblad. I think Ekblad and Jones are closer than some believe. Jones played on a better team so his offensive numbers were always going to be slightly better, even though Ekblad is looking like he may eclipse that.

I do however think that jones' game translates very well to the pro game right away. Ekblads' might take a tad longer but he still has similar upside IMO. They both have #1 franchise defenseman potential.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I imagine that only internal addition will be Laughton. I don't see any of the other chaps taking the jump at this point. Maybe Cousins at some point for a cup of coffee, but not to start the year. I think Raffl will get re-signed, Mason will get re-signed, Downie will be re-signed, Schenn and McGinn as well, Gus and MAB too. From the outside, I think they will pursue one of the potential big names out there. Ryan Callahan would be my top choice, but I think he re-signs in NYR.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I imagine that only internal addition will be Laughton. I don't see any of the other chaps taking the jump at this point. Maybe Cousins at some point for a cup of coffee, but not to start the year. I think Raffl will get re-signed, Mason will get re-signed, Downie will be re-signed, Schenn and McGinn as well, Gus and MAB too. From the outside, I think they will pursue one of the potential big names out there. Ryan Callahan would be my top choice, but I think he re-signs in NYR.
Little pick through the list as to the targets that I would think peak interest of the Flyers. A few snipers here as well as a 4th liner if Hall doesn't come back and Laughton doesn't make the jump (which I think and hope he does), as well as players that could play up and down the line up.

I hope we resign Downie - which I see happening
I also think we do resign Emery but if not Khubodin and Elliot could slide in nicely.
edit: I get visions of Steen/Vanek/Cammy/Moulson playing with Giroux where Hartnell would be.

Gaborik, Marian R CLB 31 $7,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Vanek, Thomas L NYI 29 $7,142,857 2014 (UFA)
Cammalleri, Mike L CGY 31 $6,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Pitkanen, Joni D CAR 30 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Callahan, Ryan R NYR 28 $4,275,000 2014 (UFA)
Quincey, Kyle D DET 28 $3,775,000 2014 (UFA)
Orpik, Brooks D PIT 33 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA)
Bolland, Dave C TOR 27 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA)
Steen, Alexander L STL 29 $3,362,500 2014 (UFA)
Girardi, Dan D NYR 29 $3,325,000 2014 (UFA)
Moulson, Matt L BUF 30 $3,133,333 2014 (UFA)
Vrbata, Radim R PHX 32 $3,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Kulemin, Nikolai R TOR 27 $2,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Downie, Steve R PHI 26 $2,650,000 2014 (UFA)
Cogliano, Andrew C ANA 26 $2,390,000 2014 (UFA)
Nikitin, Nikita D CLB 27 $2,150,000 2014 (UFA) - intrigued by this.
Fiddler, Vernon C DAL 33 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Elliott, Brian G STL 28 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)

Last edited by dingbathero: 12-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I would also be totally fine with maybe trading kimmo for a late 1st at the deadline and using that pick + our own + something else to move up and snag Ekblad. I think Ekblad and Jones are closer than some believe. Jones played on a better team so his offensive numbers were always going to be slightly better, even though Ekblad is looking like he may eclipse that.

I do however think that jones' game translates very well to the pro game right away. Ekblads' might take a tad longer but he still has similar upside IMO. They both have #1 franchise defenseman potential.
It might be a blessing in disguise if the Flyers begin to struggle. Kimmo could fetch a decent first round pick at the deadline.

To get the second overall pick, it would probably require:
Our pick (probably 10-14th overall)
another draft pick from a trade at the deadline
And one of wayne simmonds/brayden Coburn/matt read

Old
12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Little pick through the list as to the targets that I would think peak interest of the Flyers. A few snipers here as well as a 4th liner if Hall doesn't come back and Laughton doesn't make the jump (which I think and hope he does), as well as players that could play up and down the line up.

I hope we resign Downie - which I see happening
I also think we do resign Emery but if not Khubodin and Elliot could slide in nicely.

Gaborik, Marian R CLB 31 $7,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Vanek, Thomas L NYI 29 $7,142,857 2014 (UFA)
Cammalleri, Mike L CGY 31 $6,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Pitkanen, Joni D CAR 30 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Callahan, Ryan R NYR 28 $4,275,000 2014 (UFA)
Quincey, Kyle D DET 28 $3,775,000 2014 (UFA)
Orpik, Brooks D PIT 33 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA)
Bolland, Dave C TOR 27 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA)
Steen, Alexander L STL 29 $3,362,500 2014 (UFA)
Girardi, Dan D NYR 29 $3,325,000 2014 (UFA)
Moulson, Matt L BUF 30 $3,133,333 2014 (UFA)
Vrbata, Radim R PHX 32 $3,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Kulemin, Nikolai R TOR 27 $2,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Downie, Steve R PHI 26 $2,650,000 2014 (UFA)
Cogliano, Andrew C ANA 26 $2,390,000 2014 (UFA)
Nikitin, Nikita D CLB 27 $2,150,000 2014 (UFA) - intrigued by this.
Fiddler, Vernon C DAL 33 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Elliott, Brian G STL 28 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Nikitin would be nice but I've heard on NHL Radio that CBJ is very high on him so I'm not sure they let him walk unless he wants a ton of money, at which point I think the Flyers should back off anyway.

From that list, names I'd like to see pursued are Vanek, Callahan, Gabbo, Steen (though he probably will want a ton and his injury history worries me), Vrbata, and Kulemin. Elliot would be nice but the backup goalie position doesn't worry me too much if Mason continues to impress.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:44 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nikitin would be nice but I've heard on NHL Radio that CBJ is very high on him so I'm not sure they let him walk unless he wants a ton of money, at which point I think the Flyers should back off anyway.

From that list, names I'd like to see pursued are Vanek, Callahan, Gabbo, Steen (though he probably will want a ton and his injury history worries me), Vrbata, and Kulemin. Elliot would be nice but the backup goalie position doesn't worry me too much if Mason continues to impress.
Fans aren't happy with him b/c he doesn't learn english. haha. = nikitin
I think Steen is happy in St. Louis and will stay but the bolds I'd have no issue with them in Orange and Black - I guess I'd like any of them but the bolds are at the top.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:46 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Keep:
Giroux
Couturier
Read
Simmonds
Rinaldo
Coburn
Grossmann
Laughton

Keep but listen to offers and trade for the right piece:
Lecavalier (NMC)
Voracek

Resign:
Downie- 3 years at $3.25m
Gus- 2 years at $1.25m
Mason- 3 years at $4m
B. Schenn- 3 years at $3.5m

Actively try to trade:
Hartnell (NMC)
Rosehill (or waive)
Streit
L. Schenn

Sign cheap or let go:
Raffl less than $800k
Kimmo less than $2.5m
Emery Less than $2m

Let go:
Mcginn
Hall
Mez
Gill
Bourdon

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:50 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
It might be a blessing in disguise if the Flyers begin to struggle. Kimmo could fetch a decent first round pick at the deadline.

To get the second overall pick, it would probably require:
Our pick (probably 10-14th overall)
another draft pick from a trade at the deadline
And one of wayne simmonds/brayden Coburn/matt read
I would do 2 1sts and Wayne Simmonds first. Coburn and Read are both more important to the team than Simmonds IMO.

Coburn gets a lot of unnecessary flack around here. He's prone to brain farts but for the most part, he's consistent. Solid in his own end, physical when he needs to be, and he's an incredible skater. I'd like to keep him if were entering a rebuild, because honestly I think he's a great #3 guy on a team with a clear cut top pair.

And read is just the type of player that you win championships with IMO. He does everything well and he's a hard worker. Great 3rd line winger who can move up to the top 2 lines without missing a step in case of injury.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Simmonds has picked it up lately but he is less important than Read or Coburn. Coburn is the only defensmen in the current top 6 who can skate well.

Like everyone I'd rather keep Simmonds and trade Hartnell, but Simmonds has much more value and doesn't have a full NMC.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I would do 2 1sts and Wayne Simmonds first. Coburn and Read are both more important to the team than Simmonds IMO.

Coburn gets a lot of unnecessary flack around here. He's prone to brain farts but for the most part, he's consistent. Solid in his own end, physical when he needs to be, and he's an incredible skater. I'd like to keep him if were entering a rebuild, because honestly I think he's a great #3 guy on a team with a clear cut top pair.

And read is just the type of player that you win championships with IMO. He does everything well and he's a hard worker. Great 3rd line winger who can move up to the top 2 lines without missing a step in case of injury.
It appears that either Florida, NYI or EDM will obtain the second overall pick, with Buffalo getting the first. Of course something may change but, if you take a look at Florida, and EDM they really need defense and if they are going to give up Ekblad in a trade, they better be receiving a good defenseman in return. So, I doubt we can get Ekblad without giving up Coburn.

I too, am a fan of Coburn, but his value is decently high. So, I as long as we are able to pick up a solid defenseman or two out of free agency I suggest we move Coburn. Not to mention trading Coburn in the draft will give up a lot more cap room to get players during free agency.

I agree with you on Read though. Simmonds however, in my mind is expendable. It seems like plenty of teams have an interest Simmonds and would benefit having him on the roster e.x. Montreal or Edmonton.

Old
12-11-2013, 03:13 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Keep:
Giroux
Couturier
Read
Simmonds
Rinaldo
Coburn
Grossmann
Laughton

Keep but listen to offers and trade for the right piece:
Lecavalier (NMC)
Voracek

Resign:
Downie- 3 years at $3.25m
Gus- 2 years at $1.25m
Mason- 3 years at $4m
B. Schenn- 3 years at $3.5m

Actively try to trade:
Hartnell (NMC)
Rosehill (or waive)
Streit
L. Schenn

Sign cheap or let go:
Raffl less than $800k
Kimmo less than $2.5m
Emery Less than $2m

Let go:
Mcginn
Hall
Mez
Gill
Bourdon
Agree on most but I would keep Voracek because of his speed and age(24)unless the Flyers could get a solid Dman back. Shop Hartnell to other teams, he has a NTC but there has to be a team on his list that would want him, he's 31 but has some gas left in the tank. I would keep McGinn, he's not going to cost the Flyers a lot and time to force Kimmo to retire, definitely not worth $6mil a year anymore. With Kimmo gone we might need a guy like Streit on the blueline. Not sure about L.Schenn, he's young yet and I hate to give up on him this early and end up trading him to become a superstar on a different team.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 07:38 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Hypothetically speaking, if the Flyers start to turn around their season and end up having the 16th-20th pick and we don't end up trading anyone during the deadline. What assets could we use to acquire Ekblad in the draft? And what you be comfortable giving up? If Florida has the #2 selection, can the Flyers trade Coburn, Simmonds and our pick?

Old
12-11-2013, 09:10 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if the Flyers start to turn around their season and end up having the 16th-20th pick and we don't end up trading anyone during the deadline. What assets could we use to acquire Ekblad in the draft? And what you be comfortable giving up? If Florida has the #2 selection, can the Flyers trade Coburn, Simmonds and our pick?
Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell, Mark Streit, Andrej Meszaros and our 1st for the 2nd overall

Old
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Can we trade Hartnell, Lecavalier, and Streit for Ryan right now?

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:18 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Assuming we dont have a really high pick this draft, I wonder if Ottawa would be interested in Simmonds + a first round pick or two for Ryan.

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 01:16 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Seriously? That's a lot for a soon to be UFA. And if you think of but he'll definitely re-sign, then why not just wait until he makes it to UFA instead of giving up assets?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Grare
Registered Factor

Trying to play GM for a sec...

Deal kimmo at deadline for 1st
Hartnell at the deadline with our 2nd for a 1st
Mez at the deadline for a 3rd

Trade simmonds, 1st, 3rd, 3rd for Yakupov (they can use picks to shore up their D, desperately need size)
Trade schenn brothers for Buff (won't lose a physical presence while being able to log big minutes/ big shot/ point producer/ RH Shot)
Laughton = Schenn / Buff > Luke

Sign Vanek to play with G
Phaneuff to anchor the D along with Buff (with our prospects needing time to develop properly)

vanek G vora
Yak couts vinny
read laugh downie
rinaldo hall mcgin

coburn phaneuff
str8 buff
gus gross

Mason

Still have 2 1st round picks to get the trades done if not enough'

With Ghost, Morin, Hagg coming up soon our D could turn into a strength

Edit Maybe switch Yakupov with... Bobby Ryan

Last edited by Grare: 12-12-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Grare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

How I would go about this in NHL15:

Probably not feasible (and possibly completely terrible,) but I'd like to see:

Ryan-Giroux-Lecavalier
Hartnell-Couturier-Read
Downie-Laughton-Callahan
Raffl-Hall-McGinn
Rinaldo

Yandle-Coburn
Streit-Grossman
Nikitin-Gustafsson
Alt

Mason
Khudobin?

Major trade targets obviously being Ryan and Yandle, which I think would be doable via the Schenns, Voracek, and Simmonds. Callahan, Nikitin, and a backup goalie being the main signings.

Ideally I'd've gotten rid of Streit and Hartnell, but don't see that happening (would be nice to keep Voracek or Simmonds over Hartnell.) With Pronger on LTIR to make everything work, we could also sign another veteran D to hold down the fort once the season started, if needed.

Last edited by Zod: 12-12-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I would really like to get rid of players at the trade deadline, but we'll probably be close enough to a playoff spot that we'll trade a first for some rental, like Vanek who won't resign with us.

If we are far enough out of the playoffs, I would like to get rid of players like Timmonen (just to get some return) and Hartnell (assuming he would void his NMC).

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 08:35 AM
dats81

Unless Homer finds a way to acquire a young stud defenseman, I fully expect Morin to be rushed on this team next year.

I don't like the idea but if Morin can show at least moderate improvement on what has been an impressive first training camp, they will be all over him.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 09:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think the idea of trading Luke Schenn is out of line, at least for now. Even though he sat a few games, he's done very well since returning. Much better than Mez or Streit.

Actively shop:
Hartnell
Streit

Re-sign:
Downie - 3M (3 years maybe)
Gus - 1M (2 years)
Schenn - 2.5M (3 years)
Hall - 600K (2 years)
Raffl - 800K (2 years)
Mason - 4M (4 years)
Timonen - 3M (1 year)
McGinn - 800K (1 year)
Gervais - 700K (2 years, 2-way)

Recall:
Laughton
Alt

Sign:
Anton Khudobin - 1.5M (2 years)
Nikitin - 3M (2 or 3 years)

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Steve Downie ($3.000m)
Michael Raffl ($0.800m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Tye McGinn ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($3.000m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Nikita Nikitin ($3.000m)
Mark Alt ($0.782m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.000m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
RETAINED SALARIES (7.03% of upper limit)
Scott Hartnell ($2.375m—50.00%)
Mark Streit ($2.625m—50.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,300,833; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $4,799,167

Yes... I realize we really need movement on the back end. If only we could trade both Hartnell and Streit to get a good one...

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 12-12-2013 at 10:13 AM.
SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:12 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Assuming we dont have a really high pick this draft, I wonder if Ottawa would be interested in Simmonds + a first round pick or two for Ryan.

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall
I dont understand why people want to give anything up for Ryan. If he reaches free agency, you go after him, but if he doesnt, then it isn't worth it

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I dont understand why people want to give anything up for Ryan. If he reaches free agency, you go after him, but if he doesnt, then it isn't worth it
This Bobby Ryan talk is almost as exhausting as watching this team's lapses. Who cares where he is from? If he wants to come as a UFA, fine, in the meantime this obsession with him is ridiculous.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:57 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I don't understand, are there rumors that he's even available? What makes us think that Ottawa is even interested in moving him? He's having success there, and they just traded a decent amount to get him. I can't see them trading him and I can't see him not resigning there.

Besides, if I'm Ryan, I'm staying far away from this sinking ship when I hit FA, regardless of where I'm from.