HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr and Shanny All-Star debate

Old
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Jagr and Shanny All-Star debate

I'ts been mentioned in a few places (Brooks and Sam's blog) people talking about holding out both Jagr and Shanahan from the All-Star game if they get voted in, so they can rest.

Personally i think its the players decision/honor/right to go or not.

But its an interesting debate nonetheless because both of them havent lit the lamp in what? 8 games?

Besides the fact Jagr is nursing an new groin injury and Shanny slowing down a bit...

Both missed practice again today... http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The game is pond hockey. It's unlikely that they would get hurt. The game would be a workout for the day. The only real risk is for goalies during the breakaway relay in the skills competition.

That said, I don't care if they go or if they don't.

01-08-2007, 11:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The game is pond hockey. It's unlikely that they would get hurt. The game would be a workout for the day. The only real risk is for goalies during the breakaway relay in the skills competition.

I dont think its a question of risking injury at all really... Its in Dallas remember. They are taking another flight, running around and "working out" another day when they could be home relaxing and recharging.

Just playing Devils advocate here.

Old
01-08-2007, 11:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Didnt Jagr hurt himself in the skills competition one year? Groin?

Old
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
What if this is a way for these players (not just Shanny/Jags) to take a break from the daily routine and grind of the NHL. A fun pick up game and some skills competition with their peers will probably help them out and allow them to have some fun.

Sure, you can sit around and relax, but sometimes, these guy live for the game and would like to try something new.

Before reading Marty's book, I had the same sentiments about keeping them out to rest. But many NHL players find it to be an honor to play in the All-Star game and enjoyable too.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
What if this is a way for these players (not just Shanny/Jags) to take a break from the daily routine and grind of the NHL. A fun pick up game and some skills competition with their peers will probably help them out and allow them to have some fun.

Sure, you can sit around and relax, but sometimes, these guy live for the game and would like to try something new.

Before reading Marty's book, I had the same sentiments about keeping them out to rest. But many NHL players find it to be an honor to play in the All-Star game and enjoyable too.
well i wouldnt consider it "something new" for Jagr, Shanny and Broduer, but i see what your saying.

I would hope most players find it an honor to play in the game. I would think Shanahan would hold it higher than Jagr though. Shanny (and Broduer) is an ambassador of the game and does a lot of things for the league outside of playing. They were both also instrumental in helping the game come back with the new rules during the lockout, so i would think both of them in particular would feel its necessary to participate in the game regardless of their situations.

Jagr on the other hand i could see opting-out. Theres a conception about him that he would be the type to increase awareness about an ailment he has (some would say even fake an injury) to avoid certain situations, this one being the All-Star game. IMO i dont think thats fair to him, but i wouldnt be totally surprised if that were the case. Start the "owww my groin hurts" talk, so he doesnt have to go. Hell have the whole week off instead.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

All I have to say about guys not getting hurt in All-Star games is....Mike Richter.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
All I have to say about guys not getting hurt in All-Star games is....Mike Richter.
It's different for goalies. And, if I recall correctly, he got hurt in the skills competition.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
It's different for goalies. And, if I recall correctly, he got hurt in the skills competition.
I think you are correct

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
DutchShamrock

I think it's important for hockey to have the New York Rangers represented by super stars like Jagr and Shanahan. Maybe it won't do a whole lot for the sport, but if anything is going to help the game attract the casual fan you need to have cities like New York represented by their superstars.

If their rest is so vital to our success maybe Renney can find a way to not have all of his 30+ yr old forwards getting 20 minutes a game. Maybe he can roll 4 lines.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Edge

Personally I'd like to see them go. It's funny, but I do enjoy seeing my favorite players honored out there as all-stars.

On a side note I don't think it really makes a huge difference in how they'll play one way or the other.

The bigger problem to me is how they've been overused to this point.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Yep...I still have nightmares about that moment. That's why I'd rather never see Lundqvist in an All-Star game.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Skroob*

i thought the rules as set by the NHL were that if they are chosen, they must go unless they are injured.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I think the official rosters are going to be anounced tomorrow, so we will see if they even get in. I'm sure they will but who knows with the NHL at this point

Old
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I think the official rosters are going to be anounced tomorrow, so we will see if they even get in. I'm sure they will but who knows with the NHL at this point
If they don't that's just pretty pathetic IMO.

Old
01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If they don't that's just pretty pathetic IMO.
Agreed, but I just throwing it out there

Old
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
kasparaitis666

You also have to think that this could be a way for them to possibly break out of their slump. Playing with top notch players from around the league in a less intense game could be just what they need to break out and start producing again.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd like to see Jagr and Shanny go play, but it's entirely up to them and it wouldn't upset me at all if they skipped out on the game to rest. Who knows what kind of state these guys are truly in physically? If they want the rest, by all means, take it. I also would totally understand if they just want to relax and spend some time with family.

Hope they go, but won't be disappointed if they don't.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

In Jagr's case, it's not a matter of getting hurt, but as Brooks points out, it would allow Jagr the opportunity to remain in NY and strengthen the shoulder.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Edge

One thing to keep in mind with Shanny is that he's always been a streaky scorer. While he's slumping a little right now, a lot of this is also his MO and the pace he was on earlier was not what one should realistically expect from him.

Old
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
One thing to keep in mind with Shanny is that he's always been a streaky scorer. While he's slumping a little right now, a lot of this is also his MO and the pace he was on earlier was not what one should realistically expect from him.
Yeah thats very true. He does score in bunches.

Hopefully Jagr gets a streak going too. But in fairness to him, last years 54 was a little out of the ordinary. Before last year he scored 31, 36, 31... and this season he is on pace for... 30.

The guy on pace for 103 points for crying out loud.

Old
01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Chimp

I hope they're not on the roster and if they are, I hope they skip it. The All-Star game is a waste of energy.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hopefully Jagr gets a streak going too. But in fairness to him, last years 54 was a little out of the ordinary. Before last year he scored 31, 36, 31... and this season he is on pace for... 30.

He could break the Rangers' single season record for assists (80) playing with Straka and Nylander (and Shanny on the PP).

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
shoothepuck

They should both go and do NY proud.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah thats very true. He does score in bunches.

Jagr, ironically, has always been much more of a playmaker. He had some high numbers during the mid 90's on those Pitts. teams with somewhat inflated numbers, but as a whole he's always been a guy who seems a bit more comfortable in about the 40 goal range and heavy on the assists. So in fairness he's really only about 10 goals off from his "norm". Last year spoiled us a little though.