HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Claude Giroux

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2013, 11:19 AM
ICAPNASTYI

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He may be captain, but it's really damn hard when no else steps up either. You may be captain, but you are not a one man ****ing army. You are a member of a team that needs to work like a team. When a lot of parts fail, so does the team. Giroux also has the most points on a team, on a team that isn't scoring ****. Giroux is one man, he can't be out there for every shift, scoring every goal. You don't think he knows that they aren't doing what they know they can? He may not be doing well, but outside of Mason, Couts and Giroux, who else is doing well this year?
EXACTLY. G may not be at his absolute best, but it's definitley better than what most of our players put out on a regular basis. Mostly everybody is having a down year and Giroux gets all the **** because he's the captain.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
You put the blame on people that really have **** the bed lately. Streit has been awful. Even worse than Mez. Our overall defense hasn't put up a good game for a while. Hartnell doing nothing right. Voracek only now starting to actually shoot the puck. Schenn and Simmonds not doing that much. Vinny has been injured twice already, but I do like what I've seen from him. The Couts line has been very good, but has been lit up in the past few games. Our 4th line is way too slow and gets pinned way too much in our zone, which turns into a goal usually. The idea that Gus isn't playing is baffling, especially in place of the ********-the-bed Streit.

Everyone is having problems, brain farts and so on. So don't blame Giroux just because he's the captain, because guess what, you can only do so much. Shea Weber is captain, and they have a stale offense. Callahan in NY has a stale offense and he's the captain. You may be captain, but it doesn't mean you have to provide ALL the offense.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
I'm not turning on giroux at all. I would just like to see glimpses that he is still a point producer. He has YET to take over a game where you really have to notice giroux. He isn't a threat anymore and the other teams don't even have to try that hard. You know he will drive up the middle of the ice and take on 4 defenders and just turn it over.
I agree with this. I love Giroux and I want him to turn it around and prove me wrong more than anything. To me, it's not even just about points. It's about watching the game and seeing the way he's playing. I know his wingers aren't playing up to par, but Giroux isn't either. He's just not making things happen. You can blame his linemates but at the same time, they're production, especially Hartnell's has always relied upon Giroux feeding him, not really the other way around. It's not like Hartnell is getting tons of hgih quality changes and just not converting, that line makes nothing happen most nights. Giroux just seems invisible a lot of nights too. Like I said, it's not just the points I'm concerned with. I'd like to see them change things up. Try different players on that line and see if some guys develop some chemistry.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:28 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
You do realize Jake only has two more points than Hartnell with four more games played, right? And both are well behind Giroux in scoring.
I already explained why Jake's production is suffering.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
He needs to shoot more. End of story. Seriously, the last two goals he's had is what he can do if he shoots more.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Haha yea you said his production is suffering because the guy with 1.5 times as many points is dragging him down. Thanks for explaining that.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:36 AM
jeff leonard

Are we really doing this? I haven't even seen close to every game this year that this disgraceful team has played, but in the games I did see, I've seen him hit post like three times, and I've seen at LEAST five great chances that he's set up only to have inept linemates fail to finish on. Even now he accounts for enough offense and that great post by the apple guy basically summed it up.

What exactly do people want from him? If you think he isn't worth his contract, well. You weren't going to get a guy like him for 7 million. Another team would, and then we'd be worse, even if Laughton is looking fine. Yes, Couturier looks better right now- but Couturier has better linemates and is a REALLY, REALLY good hockey player. Like if he gets any better, you're looking at more than one selke trophy in his career.

I just don't understand how you look at the team, then G's linemates, then his shooting percentage right now and think "he's washed up and those injuries have destroyed him and he was never that good anyways", especially when Hartnell is playing sub-NHL level hockey right now.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM
AaronTrieu

Quote:
You put the blame on people that really have **** the bed lately. Streit has been awful. Even worse than Mez. Our overall defense hasn't put up a good game for a while. Hartnell doing nothing right. Voracek only now starting to actually shoot the puck. Schenn and Simmonds not doing that much. Vinny has been injured twice already, but I do like what I've seen from him. The Couts line has been very good, but has been lit up in the past few games. Our 4th line is way too slow and gets pinned way too much in our zone, which turns into a goal usually. The idea that Gus isn't playing is baffling, especially in place of the ********-the-bed Streit.

Everyone is having problems, brain farts and so on. So don't blame Giroux just because he's the captain, because guess what, you can only do so much. Shea Weber is captain, and they have a stale offense. Callahan in NY has a stale offense and he's the captain. You may be captain, but it doesn't mean you have to provide ALL the offense.
Callahan has never been a point producing forward. Weber doesn't light it up with the assists either. Statistically this season they are giving their teams what they expect. For giroux to earn his pay he needs to be put up points. I'm not taking Crosby or Ovie numbers. But he should be around a point/game. This season he is struggling and peoples concerns are warranted. Just because he is the captain doesn't mean he is free from blame. As a captain and a leader, the blame should start with him. He needs to be more noticeable before the blame starts trickling down. Saying his line mates are bad is weak.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Callahan has never been a point producing forward. Weber doesn't light it up with the assists either. Statistically this season they are giving their teams what they expect. For giroux to earn his pay he needs to be put up points. I'm not taking Crosby or Ovie numbers. But he should be around a point/game. This season he is struggling and peoples concerns are warranted. Just because he is the captain doesn't mean he is free from blame. As a captain and a leader, the blame should start with him. He needs to be more noticeable before the blame starts trickling down. Saying his line mates are bad is weak.
He's also currently on the 3.75M cap hit. As said before, he's having a season just like what Getzlaf had a couple years ago. He will be going up next season, and we should determine how well he does by then with that cap hit. He is not 8.25M right now, and should not be treated as such.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:45 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Haha yea you said his production is suffering because the guy with 1.5 times as many points is dragging him down. Thanks for explaining that.
More emphasis on Hartnell was my statement. Comparing points isn't exactly fair as they have the same amount of goals and Giroux gets a lot more ice time and gets shuffled with different linemates more. Don't get me wrong, Giroux is my favorite on the Flyers but he's been frustrating to watch too.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:46 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
Are we really doing this? I haven't even seen close to every game this year that this disgraceful team has played, but in the games I did see, I've seen him hit post like three times, and I've seen at LEAST five great chances that he's set up only to have inept linemates fail to finish on. Even now he accounts for enough offense and that great post by the apple guy basically summed it up.

What exactly do people want from him? If you think he isn't worth his contract, well. You weren't going to get a guy like him for 7 million. Another team would, and then we'd be worse, even if Laughton is looking fine. Yes, Couturier looks better right now- but Couturier has better linemates and is a REALLY, REALLY good hockey player. Like if he gets any better, you're looking at more than one selke trophy in his career.

I just don't understand how you look at the team, then G's linemates, then his shooting percentage right now and think "he's washed up and those injuries have destroyed him and he was never that good anyways", especially when Hartnell is playing sub-NHL level hockey right now.
He comes out of the gate with a home run folks. Nice first post.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
More emphasis on Hartnell was my statement. Comparing points isn't exactly fair as they have the same amount of goals and Giroux gets a lot more ice time and gets shuffled with different linemates more.
No he doesn't. They play on the same power play unit, and play almost exclusively at 5 on 5 with one another. The only time Giroux is out without Voracek is when he's taking a defensive zone draw on another line, and then he usually gets off the ice right away.

Voracek has a ton of talent, but he doesn't use it to his benefit. His speed and size should be blowing up the center of the ice for his linemates the way Jagr use to do it. But Jake seems content to get the puck, skate it really fast up the wall through the neutral zone, and then make a horrific decision between a choice of wrapping it hard, taking a weak ass shot, or passing it two opposing defensemen.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
AaronTrieu

Quote:
He's also currently on the 3.75M cap hit. As said before, he's having a season just like what Getzlaf had a couple years ago. He will be going up next season, and we should determine how well he does by then with that cap hit. He is not 8.25M right now, and should not be treated as such.
i agree, but i'm scared what he will bring next year. a top winger might get giroux out of this slumo.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post

Yes. Thank you.

I really don't get how people can claim this is the "real" Giroux and the guy who was amazing for several seasons was some sort of illusion.

He's currently the only offensively dynamic guy on the roster. Want to shut down the Flyers? Kill his line...and his line, with an extinct Vorasaur and Mr. Vespa, is absurdly killable; it's essentially Giroux vs 6 Dudes. This is a team with a shutdown line that can chip in, and a top line with two wingers who are sucking badly. The second line without Vinny is a nonfactor because Schenn's chief export is disappointment. Opposing teams need only worry about 4 players in the forward group...the Couturier line and Giroux. It's no surprise he's struggling, he has zero support.

Gretzky in his prime couldn't make Hartnell useful...unless he told him to stand next to the net and started banking pucks into the goal off his face. Voracek has at least started to show some of the awesomeness he had last year, but it's too inconsistent to believe he's actually going to trend upwards.

12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Yes. Thank you.

I really don't get how people can claim this is the "real" Giroux and the guy who was amazing for several seasons was some sort of illusion.

He's currently the only offensively dynamic guy on the roster. Want to shut down the Flyers? Kill his line...and his line, with an extinct Vorasaur and Mr. Vespa, is absurdly killable; it's essentially Giroux vs 6 Dudes. This is a team with a shutdown line that can chip in, and a top line with two wingers who are sucking badly. The second line without Vinny is a nonfactor becaues Schenn's chief export is disappointment. Opposing teams need only worry about 4 payers in the forward group...the Couturier line and Giroux. It's no surprise he's struggling, he has zero support.

Gretzky in his prime couldn't make Hartnell useful...unless he told him to stand next to the net and started banking pucks into the goal off his face. Voracek has at least started to show some of the awesomeness he had last year, but it's too inconsistent to believe he's actually going to trend upwards.
Exactly.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:12 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:

Yes. Thank you.

He's currently the only offensively dynamic guy on the roster. Want to shut down the Flyers? Kill his line...and his line, with an extinct Vorasaur and Mr. Vespa, is absurdly killable; it's essentially Giroux vs 6 Dudes. This is a team with a shutdown line that can chip in, and a top line with two wingers who are sucking badly. The second line without Vinny is a nonfactor because Schenn's chief export is disappointment. Opposing teams need only worry about 4 players in the forward group...the Couturier line and Giroux. It's no surprise he's struggling, he has zero support.

Nicely put...well said.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Gretzky in his prime couldn't make Hartnell useful...unless he told him to stand next to the net and started banking pucks into the goal off his face.
This is what he would do, and frankly its the strategy that line should start to employ.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Leave it to Holmgren to give a guy an 8 for 8 contract, and then NOT give him any tools to thrive. It's insane there isn't a single shooter on this roster with the number of playmakers they have.

Couturier, Voracek, and Giroux are all focusing on setting up others. The closest thing this team has to a sniper is Read. How is that acceptable?

Old
12-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Leave it to Holmgren to give a guy an 8 for 8 contract, and then NOT give him any tools to thrive. It's insane there isn't a single shooter on this roster with the number of playmakers they have.

Couturier, Voracek, and Giroux are all focusing on setting up others. The closest thing this team has to a sniper is Read. How is that acceptable?
Vinny, but he never plays.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
BillDineen

Don't give up on Giroux, but give up on Jake? That seems to be the theme around here. Voracek was the Flyers best forward last year and this year he is the "lesser" winger that is holding Giroux back? What a load of crap.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

And he's not on a line with any of those guys

Old
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I think Giroux has the supporting cast, they just aren't playing up to their abilities. Hartnell has shown he can be an effective goal scorer. Voracek showed last year he can produce. VL, when healthy and on G's line should produce. Schenn looked good to start the year but has cooled. It hasn't worked out, but really what else are you going to look for to put on his line?

Last year people laughed at me when I said I would deal Voracek for Bobby Ryan, now Voracek is not good enough to play with Giroux. The team just needs to play to its potential. I don't know how you get them to do that, but on paper the offense really should not be this bad.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Don't give up on Giroux, but give up on Jake? That seems to be the theme around here. Voracek was the Flyers best forward last year and this year he is the "lesser" winger that is holding Giroux back? What a load of crap.
I still think that someone like Akeson, who is quick, good two way and has a good shot would do well on Giroux's wing. The guy you want to pass to for a goal kind of guy (complementary line guy, kind of like Leino when he was here). Jake works the corner, gets it to Giroux, passes it to a slipped-through/open Akeson for a roofed goal. Sounds good to me.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Voracek has been inconsistent as hell through his career. He has been terrible this year. He's been nothing like that player he was last season.

For instance, last season he was easily the best forward at carrying the puck through the neutral zone into the offensive zone. Now we're lucky if he manages it two or three times a game.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:42 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Voracek has been inconsistent as hell through his career. He has been terrible this year. He's been nothing like that player he was last season.

For instance, last season he was easily the best forward at carrying the puck through the neutral zone into the offensive zone. Now we're lucky if he manages it two or three times a game.
Voracek has been crap this year. No doubt about that. But there seems to be a certainty that Giroux is going to bounce back and is not in any trade proposals, but Voracek is listed a trade candidate, supposedly holding Giroux back and no one seems to have confidence that he can bounce back.

Meanwhile, Voracek, 24, who helped Giroux last year and not the other way around is signed for almost half the cap hit. If Voracek struggles next season, count me worried a bit (still a decent cap hit). If Giroux struggles next year, he has a monster contract and I am scared to death.

Closed Thread