HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG food/beer thread

Old
01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Sicilian

vCash: 500
MSG food/beer thread

Hey guys,

Heading to my first Rangers game at MSG this saturday, and I was wondering if there was a specific food that I should (or have to) get at MSG? Every arena or stadium has it's signature concession, what is MSG's?

Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
Hey guys,

Heading to my first Rangers game at MSG this saturday, and I was wondering if there was a specific food that I should (or have to) get at MSG? Every arena or stadium has it's signature concession, what is MSG's?
Get the chicken tenders and fries. It's pretty much the only thing I get at Rangers games. Enjoy the game!

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I think all the 'food' there is repulsive but that's me. I usually eat somewhere before going to a game.

Now my friends usually get those nasty nachos with everything under the sun on them. They swear by that thing.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
bmoak

The only arena/stadium food that I think might be somewhat unique to the NYC area would be the knish, but I've never had one at MSG.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:44 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Get the chicken tenders and fries. It's pretty much the only thing I get at Rangers games. Enjoy the game!
Agreed. The Chicken tenders are pretty good. Also the only food i'll buy there.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

beer...... then some more and a pretzel.......and top it all off with some beer

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
polako

Always have been and always will be a fan of the hot pretzel sold out of a shopping cart just outside of MSG right after the game.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Agreed. The Chicken tenders are pretty good. Also the only food i'll buy there.
same here.

Still, i would not call it a classic food.

Again, the only food that is really NY-ish there is the Kinsh.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
danno2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
same here.

Still, i would not call it a classic food.

Again, the only food that is really NY-ish there is the Kinsh.
The knishes are pretty good although I haven't had one in years.

Speaking of which, what's up with that new invention they are selling this season..it's a hot dog wrapped in a knish? Anyone tried this yet? I may check it out at my next game (1/20 against Atlanta) but I haven't decided yet.

Old
01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
The knishes are pretty good although I haven't had one in years.

Speaking of which, what's up with that new invention they are selling this season..it's a hot dog wrapped in a knish? Anyone tried this yet? I may check it out at my next game (1/20 against Atlanta) but I haven't decided yet.
Meh. They were giving out samples at the last game I went to - they might've been better with mustard, but as they were, they were nothing special.

The problem with all of the food at the garden is that it's standard heat-lamp fare. If you get a fresh knish with mustard it's awesome, but way too often they're almost room temperature. Stick with the chicken fingers and fries. The hot dogs aren't bad either, but they're hardly a signature food.

Here's hoping the new Garden (whenever they build it) has some of the fresher freshly made food you find at newer arenas.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
nickrOck

food is almost never hot.. always room temp at best.. a cheeseburger the cheese is'nt even melted, and the burgers taste like charcoal on the edges.. fries are soggy and way too salty or no salt at all.. plus you'll wait about 6 hours on line for your food..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
broadwayblue

the food is pretty bad. even my usual chicken fingers and fries have gone down hill. in the past few games they've either been out of fingers, or the oil was bad...thus no fingers to be had. pathetic. not to mention there isn't one employee with an iq of over 79 (highest score still qualifying for borderline deficiency) in the whole place...talk about stupid and slow, it's horrible.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
nickrOck

yeah i cannot imagine how they hire these people are they like all exconvicts or something.. like 1 in 5 is actually half way decent.. get snapple no cap, okay fine.. ask to put it in a cup w/. ice they look at you like you had a wierd 2nd head growing out of your shoulder.. for 5$ you should give it to me in a cup w/. ice.. let alone 99% of the time the snapples are piss warm..

Old
01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
yeah i cannot imagine how they hire these people are they like all exconvicts or something.. like 1 in 5 is actually half way decent.. get snapple no cap, okay fine.. ask to put it in a cup w/. ice they look at you like you had a wierd 2nd head growing out of your shoulder.. for 5$ you should give it to me in a cup w/. ice.. let alone 99% of the time the snapples are piss warm..

Yeah (1) soggy fries are a all to frequent problem lately.

and (2) the staff is the absolute worst.

Go into a McDonalds or a Wendys in mid-town at lunch hour. the staff is flying all over the place. You get your food in seconds. At MSG, they can take 3-4 minutes a person, just to get a Fingers & Fries that are sitting at the counter behind them. its unreal.

They hire the lowest of the low.

Old
01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Skroob*

oh, one thing they do get right, they do have corned-beef around St. Pattys day.

Old
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
danno2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
Yeah (1) soggy fries are a all to frequent problem lately.

and (2) the staff is the absolute worst.

Go into a McDonalds or a Wendys in mid-town at lunch hour. the staff is flying all over the place. You get your food in seconds. At MSG, they can take 3-4 minutes a person, just to get a Fingers & Fries that are sitting at the counter behind them. its unreal.

They hire the lowest of the low.
Yeah the fries have been a bit soggy lately. I got a good batch against Philly last week though.

I agree the staff is terrible. Although it doesn't help when you have the rich people who get free tickets and couldn't name any players take 10 minutes to decide what they want. Sometimes I sneak over to the pizza booth next to the chicken booth to avoid the lines but it's way too slow sometimes. And they also forget to give you honey mustard from time to time as well.

Old
01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
dank

coney combo.. knish + frankfurter..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:12 PM
nickrOck

don't ever EVER! EVER! EVER..! get popcorn from the venders walking around go down near i think it's gate 61 they pop it fresh right there in the tunnel.. the venders have the stalest crappiest left over from the knicks game popcorn you will ever eat..! EVER..!

worst experience ever.. went to the consession w/. 1 min left in the 2nd period, order a pretzel.. they are now making pretzels b/c they "ran out".. so they tell me this after i already paid.. so i'm like can't take that long, i wait, and wait and wait.. and now the 3rd period started, rangers score, wait rangers score again.! i demand my money back which would of taken another 3 hours, so i get this half assed pretzel and barely get back into my seat for the 3rd goal.. it was the 3 goal comeback against the devils i was pissed.! now i do not get out of my seat at all..! i wanted to kill the consession people.. one dumber then the next.. don't get me wrong some are polite, but for the most part they suck at life..!

Old
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Chicken Tenders, Edy's Ice Cream, Beer.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yikes, classic MSG food? There really isn't any. Some people like the knish, but I think it's kinda poorly done. There's good ice cream, Edy's, though I haven't been to the Garden this year so IDK if it's still there.

Will you be around long enough before the game to grab a bite outside the Garden? If you're in the city, there are dozens of places I'd recommend.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
worst experience ever.. went to the consession w/. 1 min left in the 2nd period, order a pretzel.. they are now making pretzels b/c they "ran out".. so they tell me this after i already paid.. so i'm like can't take that long, i wait, and wait and wait.. and now the 3rd period started, rangers score, wait rangers score again.! i demand my money back which would of taken another 3 hours, so i get this half assed pretzel and barely get back into my seat for the 3rd goal.. it was the 3 goal comeback against the devils i was pissed.! now i do not get out of my seat at all..! i wanted to kill the consession people.. one dumber then the next.. don't get me wrong some are polite, but for the most part they suck at life..!
lol...after we scored the 3rd goal in 1:49 or so I remember asking my buddy "how many poor schmucks were in the bathroom for all 3?"

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
There are plenty of good places to eat before you go in. It's better food and a bit cheaper.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 12:18 AM
KasparKrunch

the beer is 7 bucks a pop. also, the footlong isn't bad. the cheeseburger is okay.
i usually go somewhere outside MSG first though. and also, BRING YOUR OWN BEER. my friend brought a 6 pack of bud in a back pack. he wasn't even checked. we thought it was going to be hard. MSG security is a JOKE.

KasparKrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 12:45 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
beer...... then some more and a pretzel.......and top it all off with some beer
you also want to get some beer

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 05:51 AM
gaglinefan

Food for you

Do yourself a favor and go to the Stage Deli before the game
http://www.stagedeli.com
On 8th at 32 street by the Post Office. Sometimes after the game Rangers will exit MSG on the 8th Ave side at 31 and sign. Enjoy the game and Go Rangers!!!

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote