HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

To re-hash the Jessiman issue

Old
01-07-2007, 11:18 PM
b0mBa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
how ?
well he did go to an ivy league school after all.....

b0mBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:29 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Most players do... also, it was close to home. I have a friend who graduated with him and she said he really thought he was hot ****. But I guess it comes with the territory... she also said he was really good, but she doesn't know hockey well.

I honestly don't think it's lack of effort or smarts but skill. We've known for a while now that he's just not very talented. He hasn't shown even a spark of hope in the last 3 and 1/2 years.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa View Post
well he did go to an ivy league school after all.....
Did he graduate? Sure he can go back but Ivy doesn't guarantee you six figures. It just helps get you into the door better than a lot of other names on degrees.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
cringer

Jessiman had a few decent years at Dartmouth before missing the majority of the 04-05 season to injury.

In 05-06, he was injured several more times in splitting time between Hartford and Charlotte. So that year was kind of a bust.

I think everyone was hoping this would be the year Jessiman would start to establish himself on the AHL level... but obviously that's not panned out... yet.

But consider that his road to the pro's was a priveleged Connecticut prep school and then an Ivy league college. That's not typical especially for a 1st rounder. He might just need a few extra years of seasoning that he would have otherwise gained already if he went the CHL route as a teenager.

I'm hopeful at least that he is not a total bust, but rather a late bloomer.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Edge

He didn't miss a ton of time last year, he played 71 games.

Injury is not the reason at this point and that was evident at tournaments and camps against his peers. That more than anything is a BIG concern. Forget the pro games, the kid has struggled in rookie camps, training camps and evaluation camps as well.

He'll be 23 in two and a half months and thus far has scored 8 goals in 71 AHL games and is averaging a little under a ppg in the ECHL which unfortunatly doesn't say much about his actual on-ice awareness on top of the numbers.

As of right now Hugh has had one good year, his draft year. Everything since than has been attatched to some reason why he couldn't produce.

We've heard everything from being double teamed to Greek Life to the injuries to the AHL coaches and not getting a shot. At some point (and at almost 23 we're at that point) you've gotta show some progress. Even if you're moving slow but steady, if you're moving forward it's at least something. Unfortunatly Hugh looks like exactly the player he was a few years ago. The forward progress has been pretty minimal and at this point he either has to make one last push or seriously try to reinvent himself as a player.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Edge

Here's something scary I never noticed before. It shows the painfulness of this draft and just how deep it was.

Of the top 25 picks in the 2003 NHL draft, Hugh is the only one to not play in the NHL so far.

As of right now, he is one of only two guys total in the first round who haven't played in the NHL (the other being Brian Boyle who is showing very promising signs in college and is actually even bigger than Jessiman).

Going out on a limb here and assuming Boyle will play in the NHL at least for a look and that Ryan Stone would likely get one as well, Hugh Jessiman (if things do not drastically change or if he gets a pity callup) might just be the only guys amongst the first 33 selections in one of the deepest drafts in history who doesn't play an NHL game. At the very least, he'll likely be the last amongst that top 33. That might seem even more painful as more and more guys from that second round make their NHL debut as well, including one Ivan Baranka.

This is going to be a draft we lament for a long time. Right up there with 1988 or 1990.

Old
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
He didn't miss a ton of time last year, he played 71 games.

Injury is not the reason at this point and that was evident at tournaments and camps against his peers. That more than anything is a BIG concern. Forget the pro games, the kid has struggled in rookie camps, training camps and evaluation camps as well....
Yeah I am guilty of making excuses for Jessiman. It is only stemmed in the fact I want to hold out hope that he will some how some way justify his high draft position. Again, he was a more or less a big fish in a small pond (by NHL standards) right up until last season. I know he's not getting any younger, but it's possible that he just needs more time against a higher level of competition before he blooms. More time than others in his draft class.

But I can't deny his lack of development in Hartford this season is greatly discouraging.

Quote:
Of the top 25 picks in the 2003 NHL draft, Hugh is the only one to not play in the NHL so far.....
Just trying to make us feel better?

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post
Yeah I am guilty of making excuses for Jessiman. It is only stemmed in the fact I want to hold out hope that he will some how some way justify his high draft position. Again, he was a more or less a big fish in a small pond (by NHL standards) right up until last season. I know he's not getting any younger, but it's possible that he just needs more time against a higher level of competition before he blooms. More time than others in his draft class.

But I can't deny his lack of development in Hartford this season is greatly discouraging.

Just trying to make us feel better?

I can understand that, I did that for a while with Lundmark. Ironically Lundmark was what really changed the things I look for and my cut-off for giving a general "bust" call.

As for the other comment, I didn't realize it until I looked. It was actually depressing because I didn't realize that many guys from that draft already saw an NHL arena.

Old
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I think this is an appropriate thread to say...how about him as our enforcer!?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
What makes you think he has any desire or ability to be an enforcer?

01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What makes you think he has any desire or ability to be an enforcer?
I always thought he was a tough and physical player. Hasn't he had a few scraps down in Hftd? I've seen vids of him taking the body or at least clips. I know he's a tough player. Not to mention his size

Old
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Edge

Quote:
I don't know if I can see him doing that as a role. He's a guy who will drop them from time to time and play physical, but personally I can't see it translating into that role.

Now take a guy like a young Shanahan and yeah he could probably have pulled it off, but Jessiman doesn't strike me as that type.

Old
01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I don't know if I can see him doing that as a role. He's a guy who will drop them from time to time and play physical, but personally I can't see it translating into that role.

Now take a guy like a young Shanahan and yeah he could probably have pulled it off, but Jessiman doesn't strike me as that type.
MINI SHANNY?!?!? Dream come true.

Old
01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Edge

Shanahan is one of those guys who even if he didn't "make it" could've made it as a 4th liner.

Same with guy like Neely or Tocchet (who kind of started out as a fighter).

To me those are the guys who are real POWER forwards - Neely, Shanahan, Tocchet, Tkachuk.

Old
01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
To paraphrase Marty McSorley: "You can't teach a player to be a tough guy." Jessiman comes from a college background, fighting isn't a part of that game. Sure he has size, but so did Toms and does Malik. At this point I look at Hugh as a lost cause more than anything.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 07:23 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
To paraphrase Marty McSorley: "You can't teach a player to be a tough guy." Jessiman comes from a college background, fighting isn't a part of that game. Sure he has size, but so did Toms and does Malik. At this point I look at Hugh as a lost cause more than anything.
Chris Nilan played at Northeastern
Jay Miller played at Univ. of New Hampshire
George Parros played at PRINCETON
Jim Cummins played at Michigan State
I could go on all day. There have been plenty of guys who are not only tough, but made their careers primarily as fighters who came through the college ranks. I do agree however, that I don't see Jessiman all the sudden turning into a tough guy.

As far as HJ being a lost cause...

Kevin Stevens didn't play full time in Pittsburgh until he was TWENTY SIX.
Shane Doan didn't break 20 goals until he was TWENTY FOUR.
Mike Knuble didn't play a full season until he was 26 and didn't break the 20 goal mark until he was THIRTY.

The Lessonower forwards need time to develop.

Jessiman is 22, going on 23. Have some freaking patience. If he's a lost cause, then why worry about him? The only thing he's costing the organization is a contract spot and some cash. What would you give up for Doan or Knuble? If you could just wait 2 or three years and have that type of player come up through your system, isn't it worth the wait? He's frustrating, but only if you let him be. Forget about him. Pretend he's a mushroom and put him away in a dark spot, and see what he turns into. He may just be a wasted pick, but at this point, we aren't getting the pick back so we may as well wait it out and see what we have.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Chris Nilan played at Northeastern
Jay Miller played at Univ. of New Hampshire
George Parros played at PRINCETON
Jim Cummins played at Michigan State
I could go on all day. There have been plenty of guys who are not only tough, but made their careers primarily as fighters who came through the college ranks. I do agree however, that I don't see Jessiman all the sudden turning into a tough guy.

Mike Knuble didn't play a full season until he was 26 and didn't break the 20 goal mark until he was THIRTY.

Jessiman is 22, going on 23. Have some freaking patience. If he's a lost cause, then why worry about him? The only thing he's costing the organization is a contract spot and some cash. What would you give up for Doan or Knuble? If you could just wait 2 or three years and have that type of player come up through your system, isn't it worth the wait? He's frustrating, but only if you let him be. Forget about him. Pretend he's a mushroom and put him away in a dark spot, and see what he turns into. He may just be a wasted pick, but at this point, we aren't getting the pick back so we may as well wait it out and see what we have.
That's very intersting to know about fighters. Not something that comes to mind considering how the college game is played. Although I haven't heard about Hugh going out of his way to get involved in that aspect of the game, maybe he can go in that direction.

As far as waiting on him to develop, that's about all we can do. There's no sense in cutting him loose at this point and his trade value can't be high. What's worrying is a lack of tangible progress at the lower level. But that's how things are. I agree with your take on what to do with him in the future. Even though I'm not expecting a turnaround, we've nothing to lose by keeping him in the system.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
I disagree. I think it's more of a reflection of who we're talking about, there are some pretty borderline names on there.

But the guys who had either the heart of the skills to make it have: Tyutin, Lundqvist, Prucha, Hollweg, etc.

The sad fact is that this team doesn't have much to point to in recent years in terms of slam dunk players.

Over the last 3 years I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was ruined by their handling outside of guys who frankly VERY borderline NHL players.
Good observation. Is it safe to say that players who take the ball and run with it will end up getting an opportunity?

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Good observation. Is it safe to say that players who take the ball and run with it will end up getting an opportunity?
I think it's safe to say that the guys who are going to make it, make it for the most part.

I think the Rangers have a poor track record, but I also see where everytime a player doesn't make it it's because he was ruined.

8 years ago, very much so.

But nowadays I think what you're seeing are more marginal prospects.

Old
01-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Edge

Quote:

Be careful on that one, I think those examples might really be pushing it.

Stevens was a full time player at 24 and also had some damn good numbers coming out of college and the IHL. In 40 games as a 22 and 23 year old he also netted 17 goals 22 points while getting some big icetime in the minors and for the US National Team (a national team is something Hugh has barely even sniffed).

Shan Doan was also about 23 and in his fifth NHL season when he did so. At the very least he was good enough to skate in the NHL AND put up numbers in the AHL.

Mike Knuble didn't even graduate college till he was 23 and even then put up numbers in the AHL that steadily improved.

The thing all these guys have in common? They scored at lower levels AND progressed in their development.

The old "power forwards take more time" rule gets thrown around waaaaay too easily for guys who aren't cutting it nowadays. Power forwards don't become stars over night but they do show progression, something that somehow gets overlooked when people try to reach back for that approach.

Right now Hugh is struggling to stay at the AHL level at almost 24 years old, let alone having success to build on in order to reach the NHL. There are no AHL numbers to point to, no national teams, no progression in the college numbers (in fact his numbers dropped his second year of college and through the preseason and first several games of this junior year before the injury he was also slumping) and unfortunatly no real change in the way he actually plays the game beyond the stat sheet.

Those guys you mentioned along with guys like Shanahan or others weren't stars over night, but they were heading in the right direction and building themselves up before hand which LEAD to them being stars. Unfortunatly what's happened is people somehow expect that any lost guy who is bigger will suddenly turn it around at 24 or 25 rather than having something to build on to get to that point.

Right now Hugh Jessiman essentially had one very good season under his belt, 4 years ago. You'd be hard pressed to find a power forward whose done as little between draft and the age of 24 as Hugh has and still "made it". If he stuck in the AHL and netted 20-25 goals than you could probably say that, but this is about as close to a "move-on" scenario as one gets.

Old
01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
SML

Hugh Jessiman DOB: 3/28/84

He will be 23 in two months. He won't be 24 until 2008.

At this point I'd borrow a poker term and say we're "pot-committed" It's cheaper to keep him because I don't think we're going to get a hell of alot back. Just wait it out. If a team was really interested, I'd listen, but to just cut him lose makes no sense to me.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Great post. Just a great post. If you don't think he will make it then just forget about him already. But really, what is the harm in being patient. He isn't blocking anyone. He isn't eating up valuable resources. It certainly is a longshot for him to turn into a Knuble or Doan BUT the costs are already paid. We already spent the pick. Giving up on him now doesn't get our pick back. His salary isn't coming out of my pocket. So if the team sinks 3 or 4 more years in him at hardly any cost (as in very little risk) he may turn into something of value (reward).

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Great post. Just a great post. If you don't think he will make it then just forget about him already. But really, what is the harm in being patient. He isn't blocking anyone. He isn't eating up valuable resources. It certainly is a longshot for him to turn into a Knuble or Doan BUT the costs are already paid. We already spent the pick. Giving up on him now doesn't get our pick back. His salary isn't coming out of my pocket. So if the team sinks 3 or 4 more years in him at hardly any cost (as in very little risk) he may turn into something of value (reward).
It's not a question of being patience. I think the majority of fans have no problem being patient. That said, there are no signs that he's improving. If Hugh was getting better slowly but surely, that would be fine with. But he's not. Not only is he not able to keep a role in the AHL, he's hardly opening eyes in Charlotte.

Yes power forwards do take time to develop. That said, Hugh is taking an awful long time just to demonstrate that he can be an average, serviceable player let alone an NHL power forward.

It's not fair to look at all the players drafted around and after Hugh and then use that to judge him. But the fact remains that he was a reach where he was selected. The Rangers needed to get a guy in that spot who was going to play in the NHL (even if that meant a guy who's potential came with a lower ceiling).

Hugh was considered a boom or bust pick. It's no longer too soon to venture a guess as to which one he's going to be.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Most players do... also, it was close to home. I have a friend who graduated with him and she said he really thought he was hot ****. But I guess it comes with the territory... she also said he was really good, but she doesn't know hockey well.
this post reminds me of dialogue from a popular movie.......

"i know a guy and him and her got-it-on"
"no they didnt"

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Pizza

Point well taken.

Keep him, but forget him. It costs nothing.....and you never know.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote