HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
12-06-2013, 02:41 PM
The Right Price

vCash: 500
Can someone rank these schools based on location (!) and the friendliness etc of that school if you are an exchange student.

HEC Montréal
Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
Goodman School of Business
Queen's School of Business

I am currently enrolled in a BSc Economics program that has a mandatory exchange period in the last year and those are our partner universities in Canada to which we can apply. I would especially appreciate comments and good information about them and their location and basically everything you contribute is a plus!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:04 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Less than a week left!

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Less than a week left!
Last final on Friday. Can't wait to be done. One more semester and I graduate!

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Randomhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Can someone rank these schools based on location (!) and the friendliness etc of that school if you are an exchange student.

HEC Montréal
Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
Goodman School of Business
Queen's School of Business

I am currently enrolled in a BSc Economics program that has a mandatory exchange period in the last year and those are our partner universities in Canada to which we can apply. I would especially appreciate comments and good information about them and their location and basically everything you contribute is a plus!
If youre a econ student, why are you looking at the business departments? I can tell you that HEC and Queens MBA programs are always ranked highly (along with Shulich, Ivey, molson, Rotman, Sauder, etc).

Im an Econ student myself who's looking at getting into an MA economics program. Queens is my top choice. Im probably not looking to go on to a PhD and Ive heard that queens is not as rigorous as UBC or Western. Out of the big 4 english econ departments, I feel Queens is the best terminal masters. It still has great PhD placements. The one thing Ive heard over and over again is that the environment at Queens is super friendly. All the profs are approachable. Queens isnt in a big city and is definitely a university town. Pretty much all the bars and clubs are geared toward students.

Man, my buddy started this thread years ago asking for advice from eng students. He's graduating from chem eng next term. How time flies!

Last edited by Randomhero: 12-10-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
If youre a econ student, why are you looking at the business departments? I can tell you that HEC and Queens MBA programs are always ranked highly (along with Shulich, Ivey, molson, Rotman, Sauder, etc).

Im an Econ student myself who's looking at getting into an MA economics program. Queens is my top choice. Im probably not looking to go on to a PhD and Ive heard that queens is not as rigorous as UBC or Western. The one thing Ive heard over and over again is that the environment at Queens is super friendly. All the profs are super approachable.

Man, my buddy started this thread years ago asking for advice from eng students. He's graduating from chem eng next term. How time flies!
I found this website during my first semester at JMSB. I'm graduating next semester. Feels like it was yesterday.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I can't wait to sleep.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
I can't wait to sleep.
I'm gonna be drinking a lot of energy drinks if I want to finish everything on time.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Adamcrazy3

Last final tomorrow!! CANT WAIT

Old
12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

So confused about R Score. Tried some online calculators and kept giving me R Scores of like 26, when I have grades such as 86 in English(Average 70) & Economics (Average 81), 97 in Psychology (Average 91), 87 in Business (Average in Mid 60's) & 84 in Calculus (74 Average). These aren't final grades [excluding Psychology], but I expect them to remain relatively stable. I'm in the commerce program @ Dawson, and apparently our commerce concentration classes have very strong students in them (Our economics teacher told us her avg in her other class was around 68).

To make a long story short; With all those variables I'm so lost about how I should assess my work & whether or not I'll get a good R Score. Should I just stay focused on getting good grades and the R-Score will take care of itself and be self-representative rather than freak out for nothing?

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
So confused about R Score. Tried some online calculators and kept giving me R Scores of like 26, when I have grades such as 86 in English & Economics, 97 in psychology and all that.

Should I just stay focused on getting good grades and the R-Score will take care of itself and be self-representative?
Yes....

It's very very hard to predict a R score, just wait for it.

Ususally if you're one standart deviation ABOVE average you get around 32-34 of R score

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
So confused about R Score. Tried some online calculators and kept giving me R Scores of like 26, when I have grades such as 86 in English(Average 70) & Economics (Average 81), 97 in Psychology (Average 91), 87 in Business (Average in Mid 60's) & 84 in Calculus (74 Average). These aren't final grades [excluding Psychology], but I expect them to remain relatively stable. I'm in the commerce program @ Dawson, and apparently our commerce concentration classes have very strong students in them (Our economics teacher told us her avg in her other class was around 68).

To make a long story short; With all those variables I'm so lost about how I should assess my work & whether or not I'll get a good R Score. Should I just stay focused on getting good grades and the R-Score will take care of itself and be self-representative rather than freak out for nothing?
If you want a very high R-score in commerce, you need 90+ in every class because the averages are always high in the commerce program (joke program). Looking at your grades, I'd say you'll get at least an R-score of 30. I always had the same grade as the average and ended up with an R-score of 26 so I doubt you'll get 26. In short, keep studying as hard as you can and aim for 100s if you want to get 34+ R-score

Old
12-12-2013, 10:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

I have 1 more test the 19th then I'm pretty much a part time student. I start unofficially working in my field in January. I have 2 part time semesters left because of a last minute sequence change by the department. So I'll be working during the time to keep busy.

Looking forward to the change.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I have 1 more test the 19th then I'm pretty much a part time student. I start unofficially working in my field in January. I have 2 part time semesters left because of a last minute sequence change by the department. So I'll be working during the time to keep busy.

Looking forward to the change.
Good luck with that. I can't wait to start working in my field. I'm getting tired of school.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Good luck with that. I can't wait to start working in my field. I'm getting tired of school.
I assume you'll get your CA/CPA/CFA or whatever it is eventually?

Old
12-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I assume you'll get your CA/CPA/CFA or whatever it is eventually?
Yah, going to study part time in the CPA program while working so it won't be as bad as studying full time

Old
12-13-2013, 07:47 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
I can't wait to sleep.
I can't wait to get drunk!

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
If you want a very high R-score in commerce, you need 90+ in every class because the averages are always high in the commerce program (joke program). Looking at your grades, I'd say you'll get at least an R-score of 30. I always had the same grade as the average and ended up with an R-score of 26 so I doubt you'll get 26. In short, keep studying as hard as you can and aim for 100s if you want to get 34+ R-score
Alright man thanks for the heads-up. No clue what I want to do for Uni, but what R-Score would basically open up most fields for me? Fair to say anything above 30 would give me a lot of choices?

Old
12-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Alright man thanks for the heads-up. No clue what I want to do for Uni, but what R-Score would basically open up most fields for me? Fair to say anything above 30 would give me a lot of choices?
Yah above 30 should be enough for most programs unless you're aiming for medicine but I doubt that since you're in the commerce program at Dawson.

Old
12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Yah above 30 should be enough for most programs unless you're aiming for medicine but I doubt that since you're in the commerce program at Dawson.
Yeah definitely not medicine lmao. Thanks for the help.

Last thing is, what will the Unis look at when you apply? Your average R Score over first 3 semesters? Your progression?

Old
12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
haha agreed but I'll sleep first :p

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Gonna get drunk tonight! Fuaaarrr.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Yeah definitely not medicine lmao. Thanks for the help.

Last thing is, what will the Unis look at when you apply? Your average R Score over first 3 semesters? Your progression?
In general, there is a minimum R-score that you need and prerequisites. It depends on the program so I would suggest you go to the universities' websites and look at the requirements before applying.

Old
12-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yah, going to study part time in the CPA program while working so it won't be as bad as studying full time
If you're graduating now and going into the CPA program I'm September, there's a good chance we know each other lol.

Anyway, just finished my last exam. Now it's party time, before I start my internship next semester for tax season. Can't wait!

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 12:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
If you're graduating now and going into the CPA program I'm September, there's a good chance we know each other lol.

Anyway, just finished my last exam. Now it's party time, before I start my internship next semester for tax season. Can't wait!
I thought you were done.

Old
12-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

No, I'm graduating next winter. I don't think we know each other but it is very likely that we had the same ACCO class together without knowing :p