HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLB Discussion Thread Part III: Jeter announces retirement after 2014

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  #276
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,661
vCash: 500
Lonely back to tbay so can one to the brewers happen already? I sign drew at ss 2 yrs if do able

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
  #277
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Murphy and Gardner.
Those stats don't cover speed and defense. Two areas where Gardner holds a substantial advantage.

McDonaghisGod is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
  #278
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I have to agree with the overall feeling you have here. Cano's press conference had no edge to it or love for Seattle. The clips I caught spoke about him and his relationship with the yankees. It was all about the money and nothing to do with Seattle. Most PROFESSIONALS take the contract, let go of thoughts of his former team, and discuss the team he is joining with no mention of the previous team. Not Cano. He doesn't want to be a Mariner and to here him say its not about the money is laughable.

He says he feels disrespected? How about not having your idiot of an agent/agency demand 10 years and $310 million for the yankees to keep him from reaching free agency. Its the YANKEES. Don't come out with some egregious demands for the most storied baseball franchise to meet. That's when it went sour. Had Cano really wanted to stay in NY which i think still holds true, he would've been more realistic with his initial demands. Not sure why he is so surprised by all this.

Yeah that was ridiculous. Either Cano was brainwashed by his guys that he was worth that much or maybe he really thinks he was worth it, either way it was way too much for him. And like you said, he said nothing about Seattle or winning a world series on his new team or anything.

Try to find the interview on youtube, its probably there. It was the worst interview ever. Joe and Evan had Ellsbury on today and he sounded happy to be on a new team, Cano just sounds bitter.You got the money, shut up now. Its like his time with the Yankees didnt mean anything

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
  #279
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Player A's season... 134 games, 172 hits, 298 avg, 9 hr, 53 RBI.. Player B's season.. 145 games, 147 hits, 273 avg, 8HR, 52RBI.. no other clues than those, who are the two players
Ellsbury and Gardner are very similar players but you're looking at Ellsbury's numbers as a lefty hitting in Fenway as opposed to a lefty hitting in YS. It's possibly Jacoby can double his power numbers as a Yankee and he plays better defense. He also stole 28 more bases. He might not be a HUGE upgrade over Gardner but he's an upgrade nonetheless. He does everything that Gardner does but slightly better.

If it were up to me, I'd like to see Gardner leading off in front of Ellsbury.

Callahan Auto is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  #280
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
Ellsbury and Gardner are very similar players but you're looking at Ellsbury's numbers as a lefty hitting in Fenway as opposed to a lefty hitting in YS. It's possibly Jacoby can double his power numbers as a Yankee and he plays better defense. He also stole 28 more bases. He might not be a HUGE upgrade over Gardner but he's an upgrade nonetheless. He does everything that Gardner does but slightly better.

If it were up to me, I'd like to see Gardner leading off in front of Ellsbury.
right, unless he reverts back to 2011 numbers, a slight upgrade.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 06:48 PM
  #281
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Can totally see Sandy unloading Colon for some sort of top prospect if he continues to pitch the way he did last year.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  #282
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I have to agree with the overall feeling you have here. Cano's press conference had no edge to it or love for Seattle. The clips I caught spoke about him and his relationship with the yankees. It was all about the money and nothing to do with Seattle. Most PROFESSIONALS take the contract, let go of thoughts of his former team, and discuss the team he is joining with no mention of the previous team. Not Cano. He doesn't want to be a Mariner and to here him say its not about the money is laughable.

He says he feels disrespected? How about not having your idiot of an agent/agency demand 10 years and $310 million for the yankees to keep him from reaching free agency. Its the YANKEES. Don't come out with some egregious demands for the most storied baseball franchise to meet. That's when it went sour. Had Cano really wanted to stay in NY which i think still holds true, he would've been more realistic with his initial demands. Not sure why he is so surprised by all this.
What does being a storied franchise have to do with anything?

Saying he feels disrespected is stupid, but Yanks fans acting like they have is just as nuts. Just because he played for the Yankees doesn't mean he's not justified to ask for as much as he thinks he's worth. Obviously someone thought he was worth it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 09:58 PM
  #283
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What does being a storied franchise have to do with anything?

Saying he feels disrespected is stupid, but Yanks fans acting like they have is just as nuts. Just because he played for the Yankees doesn't mean he's not justified to ask for as much as he thinks he's worth. Obviously someone thought he was worth it.

He wasnt worth it, still isnt. A desperate loser team like Seattle handing him that money doesnt prove anything, it shows they were desperate.

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:03 PM
  #284
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
He wasnt worth it, still isnt. A desperate loser team like Seattle handing him that money doesnt prove anything, it shows they were desperate.
Uh... what? Your response had nothing to do with what he said. You may not think he's worth the money. Cano had every right to ask for the money he got and more power to him for landing that contract. $240 million is $240 million, no matter who's signing the checks.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:08 PM
  #285
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Uh... what? Your response had nothing to do with what he said. You may not think he's worth the money. Cano had every right to ask for the money he got and more power to him for landing that contract. $240 million is $240 million, no matter who's signing the checks.

Nobody except Seattle thought he was worth it. Do you think he was worth it? More power to him indeed, he will never win another world series in his life

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
  #286
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
he got 240M with NONE of the big market teams outside of the Yankees involved bc they had the position filled, that's ptetty damn good lol

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:42 PM
  #287
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
he got 240M with NONE of the big market teams outside of the Yankees involved bc they had the position filled, that's ptetty damn good lol

Cano isnt worth 240 unless you are desperate

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:50 PM
  #288
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
Nobody except Seattle thought he was worth it. Do you think he was worth it? More power to him indeed, he will never win another world series in his life
He's got a ring. He's on track to get into the Hall of Fame. He wanted to cash in. It's his right. Yankee fans really don't have the right to be bitter about this. It's the first time one of your stars got taken by somebody else throwing a ton of money at him. Do you have any idea how many times the Yankees have bought off somebody else's star? Too many times to count.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:53 PM
  #289
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
He's got a ring. He's on track to get into the Hall of Fame. He wanted to cash in. It's his right. Yankee fans really don't have the right to be bitter about this. It's the first time one of your stars got taken by somebody else throwing a ton of money at him. Do you have any idea how many times the Yankees have bought off somebody else's star? Too many times to count.
I'm not bitter, i could care less Cano left. In his interview, he says the Yankees disrespected him and all this crap, how? Then he says its not about the money, THEN says he wanted a contract to retire on, so it IS about the money? He is classless and if you just got into baseball you wouldnt even think Cano was a Yankee for almost 10 years, its all about him.

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
  #290
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
I'm not bitter, i could care less Cano left. In his interview, he says the Yankees disrespected him and all this crap, how? Then he says its not about the money, THEN says he wanted a contract to retire on, so it IS about the money? He is classless and if you just got into baseball you wouldnt even think Cano was a Yankee for almost 10 years, its all about him.
I agree, it was entirely about the money. I just think Yanks fans acting like he was stupid to go for the money doesn't make sense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 11:02 PM
  #291
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree, it was entirely about the money. I just think Yanks fans acting like he was stupid to go for the money doesn't make sense.

Well yeah, of course go for the money but dont lie and try to make the yankees look like the bad guy when asked about it and thats what Cano did. Disrespected?

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-13-2013, 11:30 PM
  #292
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2013/12...-cano-anymore/

Here you go, nice huh?

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:20 AM
  #293
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
Well yeah, of course go for the money but dont lie and try to make the yankees look like the bad guy when asked about it and thats what Cano did. Disrespected?
Money=Respect for these guys

The Yankees played hardball with him and then gave Ellsbury almost as much money as they were offering him. He took it as a slight.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:40 AM
  #294
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Money=Respect for these guys

The Yankees played hardball with him and then gave Ellsbury almost as much money as they were offering him. He took it as a slight.

I guess

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:52 AM
  #295
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
Wait. She thinks $25,000 is fair?

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:53 AM
  #296
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Can totally see Sandy unloading Colon for some sort of top prospect if he continues to pitch the way he did last year.
Exactly my thought.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 12:58 AM
  #297
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Wait. She thinks $25,000 is fair?
Using Cano-style negotiating tactics.

Callahan Auto is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 02:22 AM
  #298
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Can totally see Sandy unloading Colon for some sort of top prospect if he continues to pitch the way he did last year.
I don't know. I think he might shy away from moves like that for p.r. reasons. It's hard to send the message that the Mets are trying to win now if he ships off one of his free agent pickups at the deadline for a prospect. I'm not saying I agree with that thinking, but that might be part of their process going forward.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-14-2013, 02:26 AM
  #299
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 32,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Can totally see Sandy unloading Colon for some sort of top prospect if he continues to pitch the way he did last year.


He'd be silly not to. Colon isn't part of the future. Hope he tears it up for you guys and you get a top prospect for him (think Beltran trade).

darko is online now  
Old
12-14-2013, 04:15 AM
  #300
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,401
vCash: 500
Two things about Cano:

1) Nobody went to Yankees games to see Robinson Cano. Baseball fans are the smartest out of the four major sports. They never liked or were drawn to guys who are nonchalant. Cano could hit .400 with 50 HR every year and it still wouldnt make a difference. Ask any Yankees fan -- MVP voting or not, he was never a leader. He was an add-on. People went to see Don Mattingly win or lose. I'd be shocked if there was a Yankeed fan over 16 years old who told somebody "Hey, let's go to a Yankee game. I just want to see Cano play"

2) Cano has NO October legacy. Nothing. None. Zilch. The 2009 title was ALL A-Rod. His legacy as a Yankee will ALWAYS be 2009, ans some Yankees fans (not me) are willing to overlook the other nine failed seasons/postseasons simply because of 2009.

Again, the guy is an immense talent. But he's also a turd. He was Manny Ramirez lite without the postseason clutch, which is kind of a big thing.

GWOW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.