HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FINALLY, something Renney and I agree on 110%

Old
01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
FINALLY, something Renney and I agree on 110%

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Quote:
“We were brutal”

“We’re awful against these guys. We have no sense of camraderie. We have no concept of team play. We have no concept of circling the wagons to play these guys intelligently. We beat outselves.”

“I am really pissed off. I am really mad at this team”

That was Tom Renney.

And here’s Martin Straka:

“We didn’t care tonight. They played desperate and we didn’t.”

Just a small taste of the tone post-game.

More later….

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

btw, heres what i said on my blog after the game...

Quote:
Pissed….Off…-Islanders@Rangers Post Game Thoughts…
Filed under: Rangers Review — inferno272 January 9, 2007 @ 11:42 pm

This one is going to be short, because I dont want to spew off a string of curses. ive seen a lot of disappointing, disheartening, and frustrating losses this year. But I dont think ive EVER been as pissed off at this team as I am right now. The Rangers seemed to play as if defense was beneath them, and that a stiff upper lip is the way to take an elbow to the face.

SICKENING.

-Inferno

Old
01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I wonder if Renney will follow those comments up by giving them an optional skate tommorow.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I wonder if Renney will follow those comments up by giving them an optional skate tommorow.
hes gonna start double shifting malik, and will probably bench Prucha for a game or 2.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
“We were brutal”

“We’re awful against these guys. We have no sense of camraderie. We have no concept of team play. We have no concept of circling the wagons to play these guys intelligently. We beat outselves.”

That was Tom Renney.

And here’s Martin Straka:

If Renney acted like this more often, I'd be less critical of him. If he spoke like this and acted this way towards the players on a regular basis, and they STILL played terribly, then I'd cut him some serious slack . But really, I'm glad Renney is getting as frustrated as the fans. It's about ****ing time.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I guess this means same lineup and strategy for Thursday. This time it'll be Neil taking over MSG and taking runs at our guys. McGrattan will be there just in case....oh and Volchenkov may lay a guy out...and of course Schubert may try and take Hollweg's knee out again. Nevertheless...don't count on a response!

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I guess this means same lineup and strategy for Thursday. This time it'll be Neil taking over MSG and taking runs at our guys. McGrattan will be there just in case....oh and Volchenkov may lay a guy out...and of course Schubert may try and take Hollweg's knee out again. Nevertheless...don't count on a response!
Yeah because every time we play The Senators it looks like a battlefield

Look I'm not against fighting and I agree with you on some points you make, but you beat the drum a little too often and dramatically for the good of the point you're trying to make.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah because every time we play The Senators it looks like a battlefield

Look I'm not against fighting and I agree with you on some points you make, but you beat the drum a little too often and dramatically for the good of the point you're trying to make.
Well in the game we played against them they did completely out physical us. Forget the run Neil took at Prucha? The 2 knees Schubert stuck out on Hollweg? The 10 plus hits Schubert through. Volchenkov's physical play in the back. I don't know...I may be killing a dead horse but everytime we play a physical game...we seem to just shy away and not be able to handle it. Amazing what happened in the WSH game. Sadly it was a once a year thing

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Balej20*

Any time a team comes out and plays physical against us, and we dont respond...we lose. It's as simple as that. The league knows, to beat the rangers, play physical.

If at this point, you dont see that, you are as blind as the proverbial bat.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
If you don't respond you probably didn't care in the first place.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Well in the game we played against them they did completely out physical us. Forget the run Neil took at Prucha? The 2 knees Schubert stuck out on Hollweg? The 10 plus hits Schubert through. Volchenkov's physical play in the back. I don't know...I may be killing a dead horse but everytime we play a physical game...we seem to just shy away and not be able to handle it. Amazing what happened in the WSH game. Sadly it was a once a year thing
We also can't withstand a big push. When the other team plays desperate hockey and they up the tempo a bit we always seem to get flustered and we get pinned in our own zone. We don't have the composure to battle our way through it. My opinion, it comes down to the lack of talent on the roster and can only be addressed in the offseason.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

updated version (same link as above)
Quote:
“We were brutal” (Updated)

January

Raise your hand if you’re noticing a trend here. Put it this way: you wouldn’t be the only one.

For instance, there’s Marty Straka.

“I don’t know, when you win four games in a row we think it’s going to be easy, we’re going to keep winning, we don’t have to do anything. It seems like everytime we get something going we think we’re going to win every game and we don’t have to do anything. We don’t have to work hard, and you can’t do that against anyone in this league.”

And there’s Tom Renney.

“We’re awful against these guys. We have no concept of camraderie. We have no concept of team play. We have no concept of circling the wagons to play these guys intelligently. We beat ourselves.”

Of course, most telling was Renney’s response to a question about a potential fall-out personnel-wise.

“There’s been signs. Look at our season. It hasn’t been stellar,” Renney said. “There’s been signs that would lead you to believe that maybe we need to improve ourselves in certain ways. And we just finished losing seven in a row, which means we weren’t doing a lot of things right. So let’s not hide behind the fact that just because we won four, we’ve corrected it. We have that ability, I believe. But whether we need to re-define ourselves with different personnel remains to be seen.”

I suppose there are two ways to look at a loss like this one: That it was an inevitable let-down loss to a desperate team. Or as seems to be suggested above, it is indicative of a larger problem.

I suppose I’m leaning toward the latter.

More tomorrow….

Old
01-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
We also can't withstand a big push. When the other team plays desperate hockey and they up the tempo a bit we always seem to get flustered and we get pinned in our own zone. We don't have the composure to battle our way through it. My opinion, it comes down to the lack of talent on the roster and can only be addressed in the offseason.
I vehemently disagree with that.

Jagr, Cullen, Ward, Shanahan, Straka, and im sure more have won stanley cups. you will never put together a perfect team, but weve got the leadership to be a good team. i still firmly believe it comes down to a lack of willingness to play 60 minutes of smart, safe, positionally sound hockey. They just WONT do it.

I dont believe Renney is a stupid guy, he knows hockey, he knows whats the right way to do it, he just refuses to reinforce it with penalties (to anyone over 30 and not named Nylander) to his team.

Its insane that this team cant do simple, basic, pee wee league things right.

Its just disgusting.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I vehemently disagree with that.

Jagr, Cullen, Ward, Shanahan, Straka, and im sure more have won stanley cups. you will never put together a perfect team, but weve got the leadership to be a good team. i still firmly believe it comes down to a lack of willingness to play 60 minutes of smart, safe, positionally sound hockey. They just WONT do it.

I dont believe Renney is a stupid guy, he knows hockey, he knows whats the right way to do it, he just refuses to reinforce it with penalties (to anyone over 30 and not named Nylander) to his team.

Its insane that this team cant do simple, basic, pee wee league things right.

Its just disgusting.

I hate to post just a simple hand clap, but....

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:44 PM
nickrOck

main problem is our defense when we play it, just lets players camp out in front of the net.. look at how many goals we give up from beneath the face off cirlces.. nobody is cleared out of that area, let alone the crease area.. tonite i fully noticed once and for all that malik has the worst foot speed in the entire nhl.. the man cannot skate it's amazing to watch.. we seemed lost in the neutral zone, we just kept circling back, there is no dump and chase with consistent banging wearing down the other teams d-men.. and god please, please.. we can we have a player in front of the goddamned net on the power play.. everyone is setup on the perimiter looking for the fancy one timer.. it's ridiculous.. things need to change ASAP.. besides the fact our bottom two lines provide ZERO offense at all.. 13 goals between betts (5), hossa (1), j. ward (3), hall (4), hollweg (0), orr (0).. this team needs a swift kick in the pants and quick.. oh yeah we also play 15 minutes at most of a 60 minute game at full tilt.. otherwise we're lost in space..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Sam Rosen just called the Rangers a bunch of sissy's lol Rangers had not responded to Islanders taking liberties against them and need to stand up to them
I posted that in the game day section and I laughed hard at what Sam was saying. But looking back now we got run all night by Witt Simon and Asham and Hill. We never were the ones looking to hit and they just stood in front of the net and dared us to move them. Renney needs to address toughness from the blue line out and fast

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Esa 10

I can accept losing, I have well over a decade of experience as I'm sure most of you here do too. What I find absolutely UNACCEPTABLE is packing it in for a 4th straight game against a division rival while playing an utterly brainless, SOFT brand of hockey. It's just disgusting. If Shanny going toe to toe against one of the best heavyweights in the league doesn't inspire this team, doesn't unify them, what the hell will?

They didn't battle hard enough in the corners or the front of the nets. They made awful decisions with the puck. Straka's right, they thought it would be easy. This is what happens when you disrespect your opponent. What's sad is it wasn't just your usual suspects. I've no idea what Jags was trying to do on the 4th goal. I've seen him play o.k. defense. That was a braincramp of monumental proportions. Prucha's turnover on the 5th was just brutal. Easily as bad as anything Ozo has ever done. And his open net miss at the end of the 2nd brought flashbacks of Sykora in the playoffs. Henrik wasn't anywhere as sharp as he's been in the past couple of weeks. But that underlines how dependant this team is on him at this point. The defensive breakdowns just won't stop. I honestly can't remember anything as horrific as that 3rd Isles' goal. You're allowed to hit a guy with a puck on his stick!

I really hope they send these guys a wake-up call. Waive somebody replaceable on a one-way contract like Hall. There could obviously be other candidates, but that's a start. They are way too comfortable. Maybe seeing a teammate lose his job will galvanize the rest. This kind of heartless play is unwatchable.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Balej20*

The complete Renney rant can be seen here...

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

He says the right things, but can he get the team to respond the right way?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Chimp

As I see it, the problem has always been:
1. Forwards sloppy on backchecking.
2. Defensemen inept at getting the puck out of the defensive zone in a good way. You feel like captain panic when you see Rangers trying to set up a play from their own zone and the opponents forecheck high.
3. Certain defensemen inept at clearing the crease. Are they players or spectators? Stand BETWEEN him and Lundqvist, but if (when) you fail that, take a penalty if you have to, slash his arm off, but don't frigging let him score on that (third and fourth) rebound for crying out loud.
4. Slow Rangers D is simply overrun and soon out of position when the opponents attack, giving little to no support to Lundqvist, forcing him to make numerous amazing saves to keep the team in the game.

And seriously, what the heck does Malik contribute to this team? He is constantly a liability with the puck, especially in his own zone, he is slow, he doesn't hit, he isn't physical in any way, he fails to pick up his guy on any rebounds, he is a $2.1 million pylon out there. What are his advantages? Really, can someone tell me, because I find it really hard to find any. Oh, yes, perhaps that since he's so big and slow, the chances are high that he will be hit by the puck. Kind of like a big forest troll swarmed by a bunch of cavalry archers.

And yes, partly it isn't Malik's fault. If you let a #4 guy at best, probably a #5-6 guy play as a #2, disaster is bound to happen.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-10-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
WheresBarnaby

Ah yes wake up call # 4,586 this year. Thursday should be # 4,587. I appriciate the emotion from Renney, but someone please do something. It's obvious we just keep repeating the patern over and over again, "forgetting" how to play smart hockey, every few games (or often just for last 20 minutes of a game). It's going to come down to personal changes I fear.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What does Kasparaitis contribute to this team?Waive his sorry *** and call up Ivan Baranka

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:12 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
id dump malik before anyone else

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:25 AM
shoothepuck

Action speaks louder than words, and Tom can say all he wants, but he does nothing. Also as players, you're on a win streak, you've had a few days off to rest, your playing a rival/division team, at HOME, and that's the best effort you have. It's pathetic, from the lack of hitting, letting yourself get hit, poor passing, standing around, and making Witt and Hall look like All-stars. Bad news all around.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What does Kasparaitis contribute to this team?Waive his sorry *** and call up Ivan Baranka
At least he hits people.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Great Post Truth-
When we do get pinned in our zone, the lack of talent on D is exposed ten fold, and also shows some of the fowards unwillingness to play sound 2 way hockey. it gives the other team more of a reason to beleive in themselves, and strategize that all they need to do is put pressure on our D, and we will fall apart faster then a dress on prom night. While i would love to see the trade made for a no. 2 center, i think an improvement on D is needed more-- pushing malik off the top pairing, hopefully into a no. 5/6 spot where he can't hurt us as much (though i would prefer him going the other way to the team we trade with)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
www.bleeckerandsullivan.com

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote