HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
So confused about R Score. Tried some online calculators and kept giving me R Scores of like 26, when I have grades such as 86 in English(Average 70) & Economics (Average 81), 97 in Psychology (Average 91), 87 in Business (Average in Mid 60's) & 84 in Calculus (74 Average). These aren't final grades [excluding Psychology], but I expect them to remain relatively stable. I'm in the commerce program @ Dawson, and apparently our commerce concentration classes have very strong students in them (Our economics teacher told us her avg in her other class was around 68).

To make a long story short; With all those variables I'm so lost about how I should assess my work & whether or not I'll get a good R Score. Should I just stay focused on getting good grades and the R-Score will take care of itself and be self-representative rather than freak out for nothing?
There are two components to a class' R-score, only one of which is made publicly available. The second component is what befuddles everyone trying to know the truth about their R-scores: class strength (as measured by high school grades and ministerial exams). Commerce has one set of class strengths, pure/health science another one, core courses yet another set of class strengths... end result: stay focused in getting good grades.

So, while UdeM has raised its minimum R-score for admission to any program to 22 (from 20) for winter 2014 applicants, the question is: what programs will lose the most students? I suspect physics and pure math will not lose loads of students (in fact, in pure/health science, it's quite hard to go below 24 while still graduating in good standing, due to the high class strength in pure science-specific courses) but humanities and social science programs will lose students.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 04:03 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
There are two components to a class' R-score, only one of which is made publicly available. The second component is what befuddles everyone trying to know the truth about their R-scores: class strength (as measured by high school grades and ministerial exams). Commerce has one set of class strengths, pure/health science another one, core courses yet another set of class strengths... end result: stay focused in getting good grades.
Ah alright. So they basically form a group and look at the MELS exams + highschool grades to determine 'How strong' a group is, which then will influence your R-Score positively or negatively. So if you get a good grade in a strong group, chances are that everything will be alright, correct?

Thanks for the explanation. As you said & it was said previously, best thing to do is just focus on getting good grades. Everything else will take care of itself

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I thought you were done.
I delayed graduation in order to do another (non-coop) internship. Leave me alone

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Ah alright. So they basically form a group and look at the MELS exams + highschool grades to determine 'How strong' a group is, which then will influence your R-Score positively or negatively. So if you get a good grade in a strong group, chances are that everything will be alright, correct?

Thanks for the explanation. As you said & it was said previously, best thing to do is just focus on getting good grades. Everything else will take care of itself
In fact, the group in question is made up of who you actually are in class with.

Old
12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
but humanities and social science programs will lose students.
Yeah, it's not like it will matter in the end...

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:05 PM
disneybuff
Rookie User

anybody know when or how we can register for courses where "Most spaces reserved for students whose programs require the course, or for students in the Faculty offering the course" if we're not in that program (at concordia)?

disneybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I delayed graduation in order to do another (non-coop) internship. Leave me alone
It's okay, I kind of got screwed with my electives so I might be doing 3 extra internships...

I had planned to take my last 5 classes this winter except a class I needed went from being a winter class to out of nowhere being a fall class. When everyone else took it the year prior I took something else. Because of it, I have to come back next fall anyway so I balanced my courses as 3-1-1 and I work internships to keep busy.

I might be able to get another class for summer and drop it to 2 extra internships but wtv we'll see.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybuff View Post
anybody know when or how we can register for courses where "Most spaces reserved for students whose programs require the course, or for students in the Faculty offering the course" if we're not in that program (at concordia)?
I'm pretty sure you need to go to that faculty.

For example, I had to take a business course that was 'open' to me but only under the circumstances that business students didn't already fill it up. As an engineering student I had to go to JMSB and submit a request.

In addition, I know engineering has ENCS advisors who are there start of the semesters in the EV. What happens is if you're say a mechanical engineering student who wants to join industrial(similar programs) you might be able to ask them to put you in a class as it's necessary for your new program's sequence. It's unlikely though but there is a chance.

For other faculties? not sure. I never had to deal with them but ask advisors.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Anyone has any experience with the analytic writing portion of the GRE? This is the part that is befuddling me as I am studying for the general GRE (physics GRE is another bag of beans) as I have no clue whatsoever as far as how well I am performing in practice tests or weaknesses I must work upon.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Accounting or B.A.A. (Information Systems)?

(I'm after the money)

Hehehe ty men.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
ClasslessGuy

Dear Diary...

Got a BAC in communication / psychology in 2012 (U Ottawa), hate my job, hate desk work can't find a real communication/marketing job + salaries sucks.

Wish I knew that a couple years ago... Now I'd like to do a DEP, to find a more «manual» job + more action. I was always good in electricty, just sent out my paper today for the course starting in August.

We are all gonna make it

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Dear Diary...

Got a BAC in communication / psychology in 2012 (U Ottawa), hate my job, hate desk work can't find a real communication/marketing job + salaries sucks.

Wish I knew that a couple years ago... Now I'd like to do a DEP, to find a more «manual» job + more action. I was always good in electricty, just sent out my paper today for the course starting in August.

We are all gonna make it
Become a lineman brah. Salary of peace, adrenaline of peace, girls getting wet when you tell them you're a lineman, etc.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Become a lineman brah. Salary of peace, adrenaline of peace, girls getting wet when you tell them you're a lineman, etc.
I'd really like to but just bought a house on the South shore and the course is near QC.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:55 AM
LyricalLyricist

When you do a MSc how do you choose a thesis? I'm thinking of doing one but got no idea how the topic is chosen.

Will talk to my school soon but at the moment curious how it works.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Quote:
When you do a MSc how do you choose a thesis? I'm thinking of doing one but got no idea how the topic is chosen.

Will talk to my school soon but at the moment curious how it works.
Usually, you take classes during your first semester, get to know teachers in the department you're studying. Then, when you find a subject and teacher that fit with your interests, you ask them if they want to supervise you.

FrankFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:54 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceSeeker View Post
Usually, you take classes during your first semester, get to know teachers in the department you're studying. Then, when you find a subject and teacher that fit with your interests, you ask them if they want to supervise you.
Ya but don't you need a specific topic? Do you find a topic with them or need to have one before? Because it's very easy for me to come up with a category but you need a project don't you? An actual specific mandate of some sort no?

Old
03-05-2014, 10:57 AM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Quote:
Ya but don't you need a specific topic? Do you find a topic with them or need to have one before? Because it's very easy for me to come up with a category but you need a project don't you? An actual specific mandate of some sort no?
If you have a category, ask a teacher for advice on what he/she would be willing to work on specificaly.

If you have a precise subject, ask the teacher if a thesis is doable and if he/she would be willing to supervise you.

FrankFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceSeeker View Post
If you have a category, ask a teacher for advice on what he/she would be willing to work on specificaly.

If you have a precise subject, ask the teacher if a thesis is doable and if he/she would be willing to supervise you.
I was thinking of doing the first one because I got no precise subject in mind.

Thanks

Old
03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

So whos applying to MD / DMD / pharmD ?

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
So whos applying to MD / DMD / pharmD ?
Not me, anyhow, but I had a marketing plan for the physics department at my school that was aimed towards the students who intend to make their medical dreams come true but still want a second shot at realizing them (because they were rejected from their first choices straight out of CEGEP, with or without interview). Essentially it amounts to marketing a honors/joint-honors (with either mathematics or computer science) physics degree as a backup plan to a healthcare profession, and we never tried to make any inroads in that market before.

And I'm very broad when I'm talking about medical dreams, since there are 11 programs leading to healthcare professions that normally warrant applicants to have backup plans, all of which I call "medical dreams come true" if one is accepted to any of them. You listed 3 of the 11... veterinary medicine, nutrition, audiology, speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic and optometry being the other seven. Of course, medicine, dental medicine and pharmacy are the most notorious three that warrant applying to backup plans but the other eight still ask for high grades.

Last edited by Mathradio: 04-05-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: One more healthcare profession I forgot