HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memorandum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
  #26
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,408
vCash: 50
To: Puck, Crossbar

CC: Oilerfan_55

Re: Crossbar memo

Please disregard the previous memo about the crossbar and the puck's relation to it. It seems upon review that Mathieu Garon got a glove on it forcing the puck onto the crossbar and eventually out of the net. If in future this happens again, puck, can you please try to avoid the glove in order to enter the net.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Hockey Gods

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
  #27
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,550
vCash: 500
To: Shawn Horcoff

*TELUS DETECTED SPAM* Re: Crossbar memo

WE HATE YOU!

Best regards,

The Hockey Gods

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
  #28
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
To: Shawn Horcoff

*TELUS DETECTED SPAM* Re: Crossbar memo

WE HATE YOU!

Best regards,

The Hockey Gods
they must!

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
  #29
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
To: Shawn Horcoff

*TELUS DETECTED SPAM* Re: Crossbar memo

WE HATE YOU!

Best regards,

The Hockey Gods
Well at least someone in here knows what he's talking about.

The lack of hockey knowledge on this board is getting outright depressing.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
  #30
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
I would like to say that most of the players on the oilers would not have forced that turn over which resulted in a scoring chance, most would not have had the speed to turn that into a clear cut 2 on 1. It would have been an absolutely amazing goal if it was an inch lower and there would be a Horcoff appreciation thread right now instead of this.

He missed the shot but had it not been for him the play would have still been in Edmonton's zone.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
  #31
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I would like to say that most of the players on the oilers would not have forced that turn over which resulted in a scoring chance, most would not have had the speed to turn that into a clear cut 2 on 1. It would have been an absolutely amazing goal if it was an inch lower and there would be a Horcoff appreciation thread right now instead of this.

He missed the shot but had it not been for him the play would have still been in Edmonton's zone.
It gets frustrating when people wait for misfortune to happen to a player on a team they cheer for, just so they can rub his face in it... This play being discussed here though, just dosent make sense. The sad thing is, this thread would still exist if horc had tried to make a pass and had it intercepted, and everyone would be dogging him for not shooting, when their was no passing lane. I get that some people don't care for horcoff, but at least criticize him for something he deserves, not for making a great play that didnt quite work out. If he has a game where he misses 6 wide open nets, takes 10 minor obstruction penalties in the offensive zone, shoots the puck out for delay of game 5 times, and refuses to backcheck at all, then by all means, come on HFBoards and start a horcoff thread saying he "sucks".

Enough is enough......

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
  #32
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Well at least someone in here knows what he's talking about.

The lack of hockey knowledge on this board is getting outright depressing.
You mean its not knowledgeable to think that nedved should be the undisputed #1 center on this team, playing the most minutes, with horcoff playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line???

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
  #33
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
You mean its not knowledgeable to think that nedved should be the undisputed #1 center on this team, playing the most minutes, with horcoff playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line???
Yup, Horcoff is a 4th liner, Jason Smith belongs in the AHL, Nedved should get more ice time, Ladislav Smid is our best defenseman...

Am I missing anything?


PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
  #34
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Who thinks Nedved should be a 1st line center?

Even if someone did believe that straw man, it is hardly an arguement that Horc IS a first line center (which he is not).

The thread was not started because Horc missed on the 2-on-1 that just happend while I was starting the thread. There was an early play where Lupul tried to get him the puck in the offensive zone (which was created by hard work on Horc's part), but he did his usual bungling of the play.

Then later in the game he could watch the puck three feet from the net but could get his stick on it.

And don't take this as an argument that he should finish all of his chances, it would just be nice if he was burying a healthier percentage.

Oh and this whole season has been a testament to his lack of finish.


I can't believe the rose coloured glasses that people evaluate Horc by. The man is not a first line center. Accept.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
  #35
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Who thinks Nedved should be a 1st line center?

Even if someone did believe that straw man, it is hardly an arguement that Horc IS a first line center (which he is not).

The thread was not started because Horc missed on the 2-on-1 that just happend while I was starting the thread. There was an early play where Lupul tried to get him the puck in the offensive zone (which was created by hard work on Horc's part), but he did his usual bungling of the play.

Then later in the game he could watch the puck three feet from the net but could get his stick on it.

And don't take this as an argument that he should finish all of his chances, it would just be nice if he was burying a healthier percentage.

Oh and this whole season has been a testament to his lack of finish.


I can't believe the rose coloured glasses that people evaluate Horc by. The man is not a first line center. Accept.
No. Horcoff is a "first line" center. Accept.

The biggest proof I can provide you with is the simple fact that Horcoff has been our top centerman for 1.5 seasons.

If Horcoff a 100 point, 30 goal top line centerman? Absolutely not. Does he provide a large amount of intangibles, which make him worth the money he gets paid? Absolutely. Would a 6-7 million dollar high scoring centerman (combined with the fact we have 3-4 million less to spend on other players) make the Edmonton Oilers a better hockey team? I dont think so.

I understand that you dont like Horcoff. It is pretty ovbious when you can pin-point each and every situation in a game where he may have not made the ideal play. For every terrible play you mention about Horcoff, a fan of his can match you one for one with a great play he makes, that probably goes un-noticed to someone who is only focusing on when he fails. Their are players on this team that I dont particularly love either (hemsky), and trust me, I could make a list of about 45 things each game that I notice him do that make me mad. Again though, a Hemsky fan makes a list of the 45 things he does which are great.

I dont like making excuses for players, but Horcoff could easily have 6 or more goals on the season (disallowed goals, goalposts). He dosent though. Oh well, he keeps working hard and getting chances. The day he stops creating good chances is when I start to worry.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:24 PM
  #36
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
No. Horcoff is a "first line" center. Accept.

The biggest proof I can provide you with is the simple fact that Horcoff has been our top centerman for 1.5 seasons.

If Horcoff a 100 point, 30 goal top line centerman? Absolutely not. Does he provide a large amount of intangibles, which make him worth the money he gets paid? Absolutely. Would a 6-7 million dollar high scoring centerman (combined with the fact we have 3-4 million less to spend on other players) make the Edmonton Oilers a better hockey team? I dont think so.

I understand that you dont like Horcoff. It is pretty ovbious when you can pin-point each and every situation in a game where he may have not made the ideal play. For every terrible play you mention about Horcoff, a fan of his can match you one for one with a great play he makes, that probably goes un-noticed to someone who is only focusing on when he fails. Their are players on this team that I dont particularly love either (hemsky), and trust me, I could make a list of about 45 things each game that I notice him do that make me mad. Again though, a Hemsky fan makes a list of the 45 things he does which are great.

I dont like making excuses for players, but Horcoff could easily have 6 or more goals on the season (disallowed goals, goalposts). He dosent though. Oh well, he keeps working hard and getting chances. The day he stops creating good chances is when I start to worry.

So your only evidence is that he has played the position?

Don't overwhelm me. /sarcasm

I agree that Horc is a good hockey player, but he is not a first line center, and this is most evident in his finish. Do first line center's pace for 12 goal, 46 point seasons? Despite being perfectly healthy?

Even when Horc was playing with Hemsky he lacked finish. He had a career year, no doubt, but it honestly could have been an incredible year for him if he had an ounce more of talent (even at the expense of an ounce of hard work). Of course you couldn't say that last year about the golden boy without getting knocked upside the head with arguments about his ES abilities and how he shuts down opposition.

Well he signed a contract that had a certain level of production associated with it and he is not living up to his contract. Should we ignore this because he can eat 13+ minutes a night at ES? I won't. I will call out any player that derserves it.

Should we have not critisized Smith, our beloved captian, earlier this year? He might still be playing that way if we hadn't.

Should we not have jumped all over Peca last year? He might not have stepped up the way he did.

The criticism is fair. Horc is a big boy, he can take it. He doesn't need a legion of stat machines defending him.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:48 PM
  #37
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
It must not be successful since many teams do use the 2 on 1 suggestion
But never the Oilers though, right?

Quote:
added to that you brought the video evidence that shows the rebound will be there if you shoot it where I say you do
What? What video evidence are you talking about?


Quote:
and it will always be a better play on a 2 on 1 then trying to pick a corner becuase if you miss it just ends up (at best case) going into the corner and gives the other team a chance to get their guys back into postion.
Even if a goalie is anticipating this and cheats low?

Quote:
As well it is a better play on a down low chance from the side then just trying to screen the goalie or tip it infront of the goalie (not infront of the net) becuase 1) the goalie has EVERYTHING covered on the short side
Torres and Pisani both had ridiculous shortside goals just a few days ago against Florida.

Quote:
3) you create all sorts of problems by shooting it off the far side pad because all of a sudden that reboud has come into prime scoring area.
I'll keep an eye out for this when I watch the games.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
  #38
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Well at least someone in here knows what he's talking about.

The lack of hockey knowledge on this board is getting outright depressing.
The missed goal by Horcoff is because all Horcoff ever tries to do is shoot the puck through the goalie.....or something...


Quote:
Should we have not critisized Smith, our beloved captian, earlier this year? He might still be playing that way if we hadn't.
Let's not overstate our influence on the team too much. I'm quite sure Smith knows when he has a crap game, and if not, I'm sure the coaching staff does.

Quote:
Should we not have jumped all over Peca last year? He might not have stepped up the way he did.
Peca was being crapped on ALL year. So again, let's not overstate the impact that the fans have on the players too much now.


Last edited by alanschu: 01-09-2007 at 06:55 PM.
alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
  #39
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Let's not overstate our influence on the team too much. I'm quite sure Smith knows when he has a crap game, and if not, I'm sure the coaching staff does.
When you pay money to go to games, to pay for PPV games, buy jerseys, shirts, etc. you earn the right to critisize the product you recieve.

If you don't get value it is right to critisize.

Also if you don't think FANS influence the team you were obviously not involved in last years playoff run, as everyone at rexall contributed to those games.

Maybe Horc wouldn't have scored into the 3rd OT of the Sharks game if it wasn't for the fans at Rexall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Peca was being crapped on ALL year. So again, let's not overstate the impact that the fans have on the players too much now.
You don't think resentment is something that can build? He had something to prove (as he was going UFA) and it was compounded by a desire to show Edmonton. It is motivation none the less.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:30 AM
  #40
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
You can criticize all you want. You're entirely overstating the effect fans have on players when you say things like "Should we not have criticized Smith, our beloved captian, earlier this year? He might still be playing that way if we hadn't."

When you say that, you are taking direct responsibility for Smith playing better. Same goes for Peca. It undermines the fact that Smith is a competitor that likely enjoys having success at his sport, and enjoys contributing to team success. Sure, players can feed of fan emotion, but if fans have the type of impact you seem to think they do, then by booing Jason Smith, you're not helping, because as you say, cheering them on like wild maniacs like in the Playoffs seemed to work wonders. Booing people, telling them that they suck, is more likely to hurt someone's confidence (and have them play worse) than it is to have Smith go "Gee, the fans are on my case. I should pick it up."

Oilers fans clearly aren't doing their part then, since the arena is frequently quiet, even when the Oilers aren't playing poorly. I guess if we just cheer really loud, the team couldn't possibly lose.


I'm sure Mike Peca's improved play down the stretch wasn't in an attempt to make the playoffs. And I'm sure his improved play wasn't because of a desire to win The Stanley Cup, but rather, he was more playing to show Edmonton.

It's not uncommon. In fact, Edmonton players were interviewed during last playoff season that they felt fans took everything much more emotionally, as it's the only real way they can contribute. Fans want to feel important, and they want to feel like they are key contributors, because if they do feel that way, then when their team wins, it becomes more meaningful.

But yeah, stating that Jason Smith is a worthless scab and booing him is what made him pick up his play.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:37 AM
  #41
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
To: Shawn Horcoff

Re: Shooting

Shawn, you actually can shoot. Just calm down and look first, then stand and deliver. Corners are your friend.

Your worst enemy (even greater than the crossbar),

LMHF#1

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:54 AM
  #42
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
To: Daniel Tjarnqvist <shaggy1254@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ad Campaign Idea

Dear Mr. Tjarnqvist:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas, comments and concerns with us. Unfortunately, due to legal issues, we cannot accept suggestions for potential products, services or ads from unsolicited third parties.

Again, thank you very much. Enclosed is a gift certificate worth 10% off your next purchase.

Sincerely,

Christine Magee,

President,

Sleep Country Canada

----Original Message Sent October 9th, 2006---

From: Daniel Tjarnqvist <shaggy1254@yahoo.com>
To: Christine Magee <cmagee@sleepcountry.ca>
Subject: Ad Campaign Idea

Hey, I think it would really cool if you featured an ad in which I stood beside one of your Sleep Number Beds and said "Hi, my name is Daniel Tjarnqvist of the Edmonton Oilers. These beds of are such high quality, they're softer than me! Sleeeeep Counnnntry, why buy-a-mattress-anywhere-ELSE?"

Later,

DShag.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
  #43
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
To: Daniel Tjarnqvist <shaggy1254@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ad Campaign Idea

Dear Mr. Tjarnqvist:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas, comments and concerns with us. Unfortunately, due to legal issues, we cannot accept suggestions for potential products, services or ads from unsolicited third parties.

Again, thank you very much. Enclosed is a gift certificate worth 10% off your next purchase.

Sincerely,

Christine Magee,

President,

Sleep Country Canada

----Original Message Sent October 9th, 2006---

From: Daniel Tjarnqvist <shaggy1254@yahoo.com>
To: Christine Magee <cmagee@sleepcountry.ca>
Subject: Ad Campaign Idea

Hey, I think it would really cool if you featured an ad in which I stood beside one of your Sleep Number Beds and said "Hi, my name is Daniel Tjarnqvist of the Edmonton Oilers. These beds of are such high quality, they're softer than me! Sleeeeep Counnnntry, why buy-a-mattress-anywhere-ELSE?"

Later,

DShag.
hahahahahahahahaha....

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.