HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holy Smokes, What A Game!

Old
01-10-2007, 12:01 AM
danboulie

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Holy Smokes, What A Game!

Hey all,
I was at the game tonight, and it was by far one of the best games i've ever been to.
Atlanta jumped off to a quick lead, despite Montreal outplaying them by a substantial margin. It seemed like thye just couldn't get a bounce to go their way. I figure it was going to be another disapointing loss.

Midway through the second, a thing came up on the jumbotron to text a certain number and you could win a phone. I texted the number, and ended up winning a new Moto Razr V3c. IT was so sweet because it was actually the last day of prepaid with fido, and I had tried to get a monthly plan through them earlier in the day, but they were so hard to deal with, that I didn't do it. So I ended up taking my new phone through Bell. It was sweet!
After I got the call that I won the phone, I said to my friend that the only thing that could make the night better would be if the Habs won.

No sooner did I say that, the Habs scored. They were buzzing the last few minutes of the second. They came out with a vengence in the third, witht he quick goal, then two more.

When Koivu got his 500th point and they announced it, the place went nuts. I swear it must've been a 5 minute ovation for him. They were playing, and nobody cared, we just kept chanting "Saku, Saku." It was by far the best atmosphere I've ever felt at a habs game. The way all the fans bonded together in their love for Koivu was absolutely magical, and it made me so proud to be a Habs fan, and even more proud that I was at the game to witness the milestone.

Tonight was definitely a night I won't forget!

danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Sounds like you had a good night

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:11 AM
FinnoHab

cool story buddy... thanks for sharing.
if anyone can record a clip of the ovation for saku, can you put it on youtube please?

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Guy Caballero

Oh yeah? Well, I was at the ACC for the Leafs-Canes game. I had a $13 beer and the two women next to me talked about their dancersize classes for most of the game.

Excuse me...there's something in my eye...

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Sounds like a great night for sure!

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Hockey_Chick68

Send a message via Yahoo to Hockey_Chick68
it was a good game

Hockey_Chick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
EBS111

does anyone by chance have a clip of Koivu's ovation ? i wouldnt mind seeing it again

thanks

EBS111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Do they require you to sign up for a plan with Bell if you win the phone?

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Anyone know who grabbed the puck for Saku.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Anyone know who grabbed the puck for Saku.
I'm not sure but I think the ref did.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
DieHardHabs

iwas wondering the same thing.. i didnt see anyone grab it

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:22 AM
FinnoHab

the guys on CJAD said one of the linesmen picked it up and gave it to the Habs bench.

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:26 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Do they require you to sign up for a plan with Bell if you win the phone?
Yea, they give you the phone and everything, but you have to pay for the service. I forgot to mention that they gave me one of those wireless bluetooth headsets with the phone.

Sorry EBS 111, I didn't have my camera or anything with me, but I imagine it'll mkae its way to You Tube within a day or two.

danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
mcphee

I'm glad you had a good time, but 'Holy Smokes' ? Is there any need for that type of language ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:17 AM
turnbuckle*

Anyone else think that fans overcelebrated the milestone of a guy who, in his 11th year, should be celebrating his 800th career point?

If you ask me the milestone is more a reminder of unfulfilled promise than anything. If someone had told me in Saku's rookie season that it would take him another decade to reach the 500-point plateau I would have said they were underestimating Saku. Such has not been the case, unfortunately.

Injuries played a key part in the low numbers of course, but that's part of the disappointment.

Don't get me wrong - I love the little guy and think he's having a terrific season - I'd just think he was capable of more production-wise at the end of the day.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
speed11

11 seasons, but he's only played 611 games, which amounts to 56 games a year. 500 pts in 611 games is a great feat, i will slap you in public if i ever see you ;o

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Hockeymom67

Too bad I gave up those tixs at the last minute..I really thought they weren't going to win ...

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Anyone else think that fans overcelebrated the milestone of a guy who, in his 11th year, should be celebrating his 800th career point?

If you ask me the milestone is more a reminder of unfulfilled promise than anything. If someone had told me in Saku's rookie season that it would take him another decade to reach the 500-point plateau I would have said they were underestimating Saku. Such has not been the case, unfortunately.

Injuries played a key part in the low numbers of course, but that's part of the disappointment.

Don't get me wrong - I love the little guy and think he's having a terrific season - I'd just think he was capable of more production-wise at the end of the day.
In normal cases i'd agree with you...but Koivu has been through so much in his hockey career that it was more than well deserved. To reach 500 pts after twice having the probability that he would never play again, is remarkable and deserves some notice. That 500pts represents alot more than just goals and assists, it represents a decade + of loyalty and service to the community from Saku, and it was the Habs fans way of showing him how thankful they were.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
11 seasons, but he's only played 611 games, which amounts to 56 games a year. 500 pts in 611 games is a great feat, i will slap you in public if i ever see you ;o
I think more than slap is warranted. Seriously, considering that we all thought he wouldn`t play these last 5 years(hello????? Cancer????????), I can`t believe someone said that. Yeah, he deserves more points than he has............ but come on......... Try to be happy for the guy, for our captain.

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:22 AM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

Great job, Saku -- cancer, injuries, after all of that to reach 500 points is a real accomplishment.

Back to the game though, I feel SO good today after the way the boys came back and won -- it really made my day. I'm smiling from ear-to-ear today. Anyone else?!?!

HuntKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
They were celebrating the man more then the achievement. Saks has done more for this team then any 3 other players combined in the last decade. A lesser man would have wanted out with the crap he has gone through and the scrubs he was reduced to playing with over the years. It was an apt moment.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
turnbuckle*

Hejduk just scored his 500th point last night as well. Took him 7.5 years. Better teammates for sure, but a decade ago Hejduk was not expected to be a much better scorer than Saku, and he has been.

I love the guy...but at the end of the day taking 10.5 years to reach 500 points is not a great feat. Overcoming cancer...you bet that's a triumph...and I was as ecstatic as the next guy when he fought back from that horrible ordeal. I don't question his grit and determination one bit.

Yet if you discount out the year he missed with cancer .... 500 points in 9.5 years is still a disappointment to me given the promise Saku had entering the league. I saw him as a future 100-point scorer in his rookie season, but he never reached his offfensive promise for various reasons.

when it's all said and done.....if Nostradamus had told me 10.5 years ago that Saku wouldn't reach 500 points until 2007 and that the Habs would never advance past the sceond round of the playoffs I would have been disappointed.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:

Is there something wrong with you? Last season he almost lost his vision, he has played through everything that has been thrown at him all for the Canadiens, our team. He is easily the greatest leader in the game in this era, he has persevered where many, better players have faltered. Futher(i just read a reply you posted) Hejduk has played with Forsberg and Sakic in his career so using him as a comparison is not even remotely fair. Saku has never had offensively gifted players to play with. I cannot think of anyone that stands out who could have helped him reach 100 points.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'm glad you had a good time, but 'Holy Smokes' ? Is there any need for that type of language ?
Was Santa especially nice to you this year?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Hejduk just scored his 500th point last night as well. Took him 7.5 years. Better teammates for sure, but a decade ago Hejduk was not expected to be a much better scorer than Saku, and he has been.

I love the guy...but at the end of the day taking 10.5 years to reach 500 points is not a great feat. Overcoming cancer...you bet that's a triumph...and I was as ecstatic as the next guy when he fought back from that horrible ordeal. I don't question his grit and determination one bit.

Yet if you discount out the year he missed with cancer .... 500 points in 9.5 years is still a disappointment to me given the promise Saku had entering the league. I saw him as a future 100-point scorer in his rookie season, but he never reached his offfensive promise for various reasons.

when it's all said and done.....if Nostradamus had told me 10.5 years ago that Saku wouldn't reach 500 points until 2007 and that the Habs would never advance past the sceond round of the playoffs I would have been disappointed.
Turnbuckle, can I just offer a different perspective on this? You are talking in terms of years. Wouldn't it be more fair to talk in terme of game played?

Saku got 500 pts in 611 nhl games.
Hejduk got 500 pts in 584 games.

a 30 somthing game difference. Considering the quality of Hejduk teammates, I would say Saku isn't too far off Hejduk output.

All in all, yes 500 pts isn't the milestone you wish a 10 year veteran to hit, but considering that Saku only played the equivalent of 7 seasons... I would say it's not too bad

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote