HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What type of team would you say we are??

Old
12-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Domenic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
No, I heard him and he said when the team isn't 'grinding', it isn't winning. "You're a grinding team, don't forget that!" is pretty close to an exact quote. He was definitely evoking the ol' lunch-pail style. Does he really believe that, as Kriss said? Man, I hope not, because playing this roster as a bunch of grinders is like using a sports car in a monster-truck rally.
I wouldn't call a team with zero natural goal scorers a sports car.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 09:33 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

We have a team?? I just see a bunch of guys in a beer league playing pond hockey with no direction, no passion, and no leadership.

WAIT, THE BEER LEAGUE GUYS HAVE PASSION

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
I wouldn't call a team with zero natural goal scorers a sports car.
Pacioretty and Gallagher aren't natural goal scorers?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Beendair Donedat

They are a talented team with a bunch of passengers. Way too small all around, and not built for a long play off run.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pacioretty and Gallagher aren't natural goal scorers?
I'll give you Pacioretty, but I wouldn't call Gallagher a natural goal scorer.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Tyson

What kind of team are we? A small, soft team with little talent up front other than a couple of kids.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Lebowski

We're the Kings light, in my opinion. Depending on how Galchenyuk develops, I think our team is really close to their's as far as all key players are concerned.

Price - Quick

Subban - Doughty

Martinez/Greene - Emelin/Gorges

Voynov - Markov

Carter - Pacioretty

Richards - Plekanec

Kopitar - Galchenyuk (someday)

Eller - Stoll

I was thinking about that the other day and the similarities are striking to me.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Subban - Doughty (PK more of a shooter, but ya)

Martinez/Greene - Emelin/Gorges (those are small role players for LA)

Voynov - Markov (Markov is far superior)

Carter - Pacioretty

Richards - Plekanec

Kopitar - Galchenyuk (someday----yea, but nowhere close yet)

Eller - Stoll (Stoll is a stud checking center... not close imo, apples-oranges)

I was thinking about that the other day and the similarities are striking to me.
And the rest of the Kings are monsters, the rest of our players are midgets. And we play different systems.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
And the rest of the Kings are monsters, the rest of our players are midgets. And we play different systems.
That's why I said we're the Kings light, dummy. We still lack some depth on the wings. Even then, our core is similar.

We don't play as much of a physical game, sure, but we're a defense first team that relies on counter-attack. That in itself is pretty close to the overall Kings' game, in my opinion.

Old
12-14-2013, 10:41 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
That's why I said we're the Kings light, dummy. We still lack some depth on the wings. Even then, our core is similar.

We don't play as much of a physical game, sure, but we're a defense first team that relies on counter-attack. That in itself is pretty close to the overall Kings' game, in my opinion.
Similar style players maybe, but Galchenyuk is nowhere close to Kopitar.

We don't have a Dustin Brown.

Light is right@! Giants vs midgets.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-14-2013 at 10:53 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Similar style players maybe, but Galchenyuk is nowhere close to Kopitar.
Of course, I said that myself, but I think everyone would agree Galchenyuk has the upside to reach that level and more. Time will tell.

Quote:
Stoll vs Eller is interesting. Eller has more freedom in the system than Stoll has.
To me, they're both 200 ft. players that can chip in offensively. Eller is more offensively gifted and still has untapped potential while Stoll is more of a finished product, I guess.

Quote:
Greene=Murray, not Emelin.
The point is moot. I was just highlighting the fact that both teams had a young PMD with a good overall game (Subban/Doughty), another well rounder PMD, albeit inferior to the first one (Markov/Voynov), and the remaining of the D-core mostly composed of defense first type of guys. Isn't Greene a top 4 on the Kings, anyway?

Old
12-15-2013, 12:36 AM
skillfully

We are like a very very bad 5 0n 5 team with not much firepower on offence but balanced. And a very small and soft defence with one Stud and an aging former all-star dmen.. And we have Carey Price to save that porus defense's ass.

skillfully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillfully View Post
We are like a very very bad 5 0n 5 team with not much firepower on offence but balanced. And a very small and soft defence with one Stud and an aging former all-star dmen.. And we have Carey Price to save that porus defense's ass.
In other news, we're the 2nd best defensive team in the league.

Old
12-15-2013, 11:28 AM
skillfully

Quote:
In other news, we're the 2nd best defensive team in the league.
Yeah right now and cause of Pricey...wait till 2nd part of season and playoffs then well see if that defense is the 2nd best...

I agree though emelins comeback is huge for our D because without him

Old
12-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Yeah right now and cause of Pricey...wait till 2nd part of season and playoffs then well see if that defense is the 2nd best...

I agree though emelins comeback is huge for our D because without him
Emelin has not been playing well at all of late

Smoky Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
skillfully

We shouldnt be kidding ourselves here and think our d is better then it really is...

Markov-Subban are playing really good minutes right now

I hate Gorges because hes small and soft for the type of defensemen hes trying to be
which is a defensive minded shot blocker and id prefer someone with more physicality and durability...Watch his play downgrade 2nd part of the season and playoffs

Also hate Diaz because small and soft too doesnt bring much to the team..

Love Emelin

And well Murray is Murray right now playing good but not the fastest as we all know good on pk and should play sheltered minutes.

Im a fan of the canadiens but no blinded fanatic I can see the holes on that defense...
More like middle of the pack soft d who struggles against big and tough forwwards..best example see Kings last week

Old
12-15-2013, 11:49 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Emelin has not been playing well at all of late
You're right, but it still goes to show just how brutal Murray/Bouillon are that when at least 1 of them are out of the lineup, we generally play much better.

The coaching staff deserves a kick in the throat for shoving him into top 4 minutes on his off-side so soon.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorinth

So now that we've all seen the speech instead of just a clip what's everyone's opinion?

I want Therrien gone as much as the next person but I don't have a problem with his "we are a grinding team" speech. To me it's pretty clear he wants the team to drive to the net more instead of sticking to the perimeter and trying to make fancy plays. He's absolutely correct to believe we will have more success doing that. Hell it's been the biggest complaint about Pacioretty, Desharnais, Bourque so far this season.

It's also worth noting that earlier in the episode he said that "We are a passing team", so I'm thinking he uses the "We are a X team" when he wants the team to work harder at doing X rather than it being an evaluation of the teams identity.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
We have a team?? I just see a bunch of guys in a beer league playing pond hockey with no direction, no passion, and no leadership.

WAIT, THE BEER LEAGUE GUYS HAVE PASSION
#3 in the east behind the Pens and Bruins and 'fans' spew this loser garbage.

Teams will have peaks and valleys in an 82 game schedule.

Change teams, buddy.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Krautso

Habs are a well coached defensive team with difference makers on special teams. We've been like that forever. Some times good enough to get it done and other times not so much.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs remind me of the mythical chimera (no, not Jason Chimera), a beast that can be characterized as a hodgepodge of unrelated animal parts.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We are +1 at even strength, how is that "very bad"? It's average.

You don't end up #3 in the NHL in GAA with a porous defense, no matter how good your goalie is.

People on here constantly pull stuff out their and post it as fact...despite the fact that the facts point otherwise.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:53 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
We're a special teams and goaltending team, but 5 on 5, Therien is right. It's all about speed and hard work more than skill. Dump the puck behind the D and go get it.
Then "grinding" is really code for "bad", and I think the Habs have plenty enough skill not to play badly.

Dumping the puck has been shown to be considerably less effective than entering with possession, so if you're dumping it in when you have another option you're most likely making a serious tactical error.

They need to be a puck possession team and they have the skill to do it most of the time. Willingly letting go of the puck when there are other options is just wasteful.

But maybe Therrien was just trying to coax them to "work harder". Needful, but that's not how you solve most hockey problems, no matter what Carbonneau thought.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Like most NHL teams...

Habs have some excellent parts... coupled with a bunch of passengers.

Losing 3 of 4 will put some heat on.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Dumping and chasing it is a bad strategy for our guys. We have about 2-3 guys that are capable of doing it well. Not even MaxPac does this well. He's not the grinder type, just like Latendresse wasn't either.
Gallagher is our only real good offensive grinder. Guys like Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Briere, DD, those guys are puck control/possession guys not grinders. MaxPac is more of a perimeter scorer, Bourque is the same but less efficient, Gionta used to be like Gallagher but he's obviously past his prime and just can't do it anymore.
We're not grinders.
If you watch 24CH, Therrien at one point in the last episode, says to the players, "We are a grinding team.. accept it, and do it."

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote