HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Here is the solution to the cold weather/garage issues:

Allows me to not only open my garage when I wish, but to work on projects, have a smoke, drink a beer, run my garage fridge without freezing, keep the vehicles warm...no scraping, smoke a joint...hell, even barbecue when I want a nice burger or steak.

Just sayin.

Old
12-15-2013, 12:52 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I am in Egypt right now and it is about +30 and very humid.
Hey! Bozwell!

You can take the Bozwell out of Edmonton...

Last edited by nofool6110: 12-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old
12-15-2013, 01:16 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Hey! Bozwell!

You can take the Bozwell out of Edmonton...
The fact that it snowed is amazing that being said the snow literally melted hours after it fell

Old
12-15-2013, 01:46 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Here is the solution to the cold weather/garage issues:

Allows me to not only open my garage when I wish, but to work on projects, have a smoke, drink a beer, run my garage fridge without freezing, keep the vehicles warm...no scraping, smoke a joint...hell, even barbecue when I want a nice burger or steak.

Just sayin.
Got a 240V heater two weeks ago for the dog during the cold snap. Best 120 bucks I've ever spent. Keeps the garage above freezing at -30 and this afternoon went in and it was up to plus 15 with the heater set at half. Don't know what my electric bill will be yet but fingers crossed its less then 50 bucks a month to run the thing.

Old
12-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Got a 240V heater two weeks ago for the dog during the cold snap. Best 120 bucks I've ever spent. Keeps the garage above freezing at -30 and this afternoon went in and it was up to plus 15 with the heater set at half. Don't know what my electric bill will be yet but fingers crossed its less then 50 bucks a month to run the thing.
I crunched some numbers before and it came out to about $50 or under/month. Depends how long you leave it on for and how high a wattage you're using of course. I pit mine on only when in the garage...or if it's really cold like recently.

Old
12-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
I crunched some numbers before and it came out to about $50 or under/month. Depends how long you leave it on for and how high a wattage you're using of course. I pit mine on only when in the garage...or if it's really cold like recently.
I'm just jealous you have a garage. love my condo, but regret not having a garage.

anyone been out this morning? what's it looking like?

Old
12-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm just jealous you have a garage. love my condo, but regret not having a garage.

anyone been out this morning? what's it looking like?
Looking mighty fine. 0 degree's at the moment!

Old
12-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Looking mighty fine. 0 degree's at the moment!
Yes, it's very nice out. Took the dog out for a walk and you really need to watch the sidewalks cause they're icy. This is the one time you're glad those lazy people never shoveled the walk in front of their house.

Old
12-15-2013, 11:02 AM
MoneyGuy

How are the roads? The sidewalks are like a skating rink. Sure glad for those wonderful snow tires.

Old
12-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How are the roads? The sidewalks are like a skating rink. Sure glad for those wonderful snow tires.
The road in front of my house looked like a skating rink last night but this morning it's just wet snow. I live on a bus lane so they did go by with the sand.

Old
12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
The fact that it snowed is amazing that being said the snow literally melted hours after it fell
Of course, this is Egypt we're talking about, but isn't that just incredible? Rain over Edmonton, snow over Jerusalem and Cairo... can't make that up.

Old
12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

One thing about way up north here... usually doesn't really get too bad in terms of wet snow/rain etc. It's actually nicer having -15/-20 type temps... at least the snow is dry and you shovel and snowblow it away and carry on.

Old
12-15-2013, 06:15 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
One thing about way up north here... usually doesn't really get too bad in terms of wet snow/rain etc. It's actually nicer having -15/-20 type temps... at least the snow is dry and you shovel and snowblow it away and carry on.
I don't disagree. That's usually how it is in Edmonton too.

just some unusual crap

Old
12-31-2013, 09:07 AM
OilerFan4Life

Just shake my head at some of hte drivers in this city.

Old
12-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Just shake my head at some of hte drivers in this city.
Too timid or too reckless?

IMO the City has done a fantastic job keeping traffic moving the winter.

Old
12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post

reckless on the whitemud and henday.

City has done a solid job. It's an uphill battle against mother nature.

Old
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post

I agree the city has done a good job with the roads this season.

My problem is the timid drivers. I understand driving for the conditions, but many of them are not. people doing 20-30 below the limit with decent road conditions are driving me nuts.

I think that you should only be allowed to take your drivers test between November and March. although there is enough corrupt and useless instructors, that it may not even matter.

Old
12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:

My problem is the timid drivers. I understand driving for the conditions, but many of them are not. people doing 20-30 below the limit with decent road conditions are driving me nuts.

I think that you should only be allowed to take your drivers test between November and March. although there is enough corrupt and useless instructors, that it may not even matter.
Whatever man.. I drive at 80km/h on highway 2 lots of times.. Better safe than sorry.
Slow down if you are fishtailing.

Old
12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Playa Hejda

Quote:

I fully agree with the bolded. Until we build my 100 square mile dome over the city (dare to dream) we might as well accept that fact that winter happens here and plan accordingly. Giving a driver permission to drive on today's roads without the technical skills to handle it effectively is asking for trouble.

Old
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Whatever man.. I drive at 80km/h on highway 2 lots of times.. Better safe than sorry.
Slow down if you are fishtailing.
the people that have to go between 30-40 on a 60km/hr road when conditions are good for this time of year should just get a bus pass.

there is a difference in driving safe for conditions and not having the skills to actually be on the road in the wintertime. going slow doesn't cover for poor driving.

Old
12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
poetryingasoline

Quote:
the people that have to go between 30-40 on a 60km/hr road when conditions are good for this time of year should just get a bus pass.

there is a difference in driving safe for conditions and not having the skills to actually be on the road in the wintertime. going slow doesn't cover for poor driving.
I would sooner deal with a slow driver than someone who has the perceptions that they are a good driver and drive normal speed during winter conditions.

Mind you. I live in a Saskatoon and I miss Edmonton drivers a lot.

Old
12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
OilerFan4Life

Be safe than sorry.

I'd rather be 10 minutes late because of the guy in front of me is "slow" than be dead.

Old
12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Playa Hejda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Be safe than sorry.

I'd rather be 10 minutes late because of the guy in front of me is "slow" than be dead.
Passing the slow driver on a two lane arterial road hardly seems likely to result in death. I think you're engaged in a little bit of hyperbole there.

I don't think anyone is saying don't be safe out there, we all would rather arrive than die. What I would like to see is a system where no one "thinks" they are a good winter driver, but are given the tools to actually be a good winter driver. In the meantime, all I ask is that you try not to be afraid while driving in poor conditions. Fear is not the answer, rather learn what to do while driving on snow. Test your car, learn what it is capable of and what it is not capable of. Try to improve yourself.

Old
12-31-2013, 11:55 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:

Yah .. I dont know how you can drive 30Km below limit on city roads. I am a highway driver (Leduc-Edm daily commute) and considering the number of cars you see in the ditch slowing down seems like a good option...
I guess I should just pony up and buy winter tires :p

I used to have a lot of trouble on city roads when I had a RWD.. maybe its those ppl you are seeing struggle on roads...

Old
12-31-2013, 12:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
People just need to learn how to drive. Slow drivers stay in the right lane, the left lane is for passing. Once you pass someone you go to the right lane. Problem is here people stay in those left lanes and slow everything down. In saying that its winter, give yourself 20-30 minutes extra to get where your going. Most edmontonians should know by now that they'll inevitably get stuck behind someone driving 30 under the limit, or get stuck trying to get around an accident. If you give yourself the extra 30 minutes you might get irritated but at least you won't be set behind and try to make up time once you get past the slow driver/accident putting yourself and others in danger.

Closed Thread