HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski sent down !

Old
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Not surprised, lots to look forward too, would love to see him, I think FHF said if Lats can learn at the NHL level then why not Grabo, still, the team is in great shape.

FHF= Freaky Habs Fan
Yeah...the difference after all is that Latendresse was able to learn since the start of the season. It was a bad timing for Grabovski to impress the croud because at this point, it's hard to keep a rookie on the top line if there's no injuries...

At least, Gainey knows that he can play at the NHL level. It's important to know because some big decisions will have to be made this summer. Bonk will become expendable soon enough...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Using the kids in spot duty is the sane way to bring them along as professional players, they get a taste of what's required to play in the NHL and hopefully they apply it in the minors which makes them better in the long run. IMO it's fantastic that the Habs finally have the organizational depth to be able to call up a kid who can not only play at the NHL, but compete (it's been a long time since I've been comfortable with a callup being in the lineup).
I agree. I see nothing wrong with bringing the guys up slowly but surely. There will be a great competition next year between the Lapierre, Chipchura, Kostitsyn and Grabovski up front. This'll only make us a stronger team in the long run. No need to rush, the team has great depth.

As for Grabovski, he looked spectacular, and I thought his playmaking game was already amazing, it's mostly Samsonov who couldn't skate with him and complete his nice passes, not the other way around, but for all the great moves he had (and he had a boat load of 'em), there was also one defensive lapse or a heads down play where he got completely taken out of the play with a solid check he never saw coming.

He's promising, he's getting there, but he's not, IMO, yet a a 2nd line center on a contender. I feel more comfortable trying out Bonk between the 2 Russians first (and hopefully Samsonov either breaks out or is traded before the deadline).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Habitants

duh you knew it was going to happen. yes he showed good flash, but he also needs to work on his game, needs to beef up and play smarter, or else his NHL career will be too short. he came as a replacement when we needed him, and now we are healthy again he goes back. he'll improve and he'll fight for a spot next year

glad to see they kept lapierre for now, hopefully we can make a move so that we dont have to send him down.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Not surprised at all, and.. nearly a good thing.
He was playing like a concussion-magnet out there.
I totally agree...
training camp or with the club,
everytime I saw him play he got banged up real hard, and he's not use to it like a prostitute would be...

he's fast, creative but seriously seems like he can't defend his self...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
habitue*

No big surprise here. I like the kid and I think he's gonna make it next Fall.

I am more scared by the fact that Lapierre might be sent doem once again if Gainey and Carbo want to keep Murray and/or Downey whne Bonk and eventually Bégin will be healthy. Enough yo-yo with Lapierre. This guy belongs in the NHL. NOW !

My lines

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev
Samsonov-Bonk-Johnson
Bégin or Perezhogin-Lapierre-Perezhogin or Streit

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I'm even wondering if next year wouldn't be too soon. I can't see him making drastic changes as far as everything that it says here, puck protection, more solid along the boards, keeping his head up, avoiding big checks and so on....in just 1 year???? He might need another one and on top of that, learning the language is not an easy thing as well.

We might have to patch it up for 1 more year.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
definitely... and he was against one of the most formidable hitters in the game last night in Exelby... Physical teams like Philly and Ottawa coming up... and the habs with no enforcer as a deterrent... that's a scary recipe if you ask me.

a year in the A... and a call up for the post season roster expansion is probably best. He's gonna be a jim dandy though. A much better prospect then I expected.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

Since Pleks works great on the 3rd line, I wonder If it's Higgins turn now to centre Samsonov and Kovalev. Ryder and Latendresse worked great with Koivu. Should be 3 great lines.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:48 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
No big surprise here. I like the kid and I think he's gonna make it next Fall.

I am more scared by the fact that Lapierre might be sent doem once again if Gainey and Carbo want to keep Murray and/or Downey whne Bonk and eventually Bégin will be healthy. Enough yo-yo with Lapierre. This guy belongs in the NHL. NOW !

My lines

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev
Samsonov-Bonk-Johnson
Bégin or Perezhogin-Lapierre-Perezhogin or Streit
I agree. I'd like to see Lapierre stay. I'd like to see him with Begin for awhile at least, providing Begin hasn't been abducted by aliens for all we're hearing about him.

Lapierre made some mistakes last night, I thought, but they were mistakes he has to learn from at the NHL level. He wasn't strong enough on the puck high in his zone, once or twice, positionning at times, but it's NHL speed that will teach him.

The role he'll play, I think he's learned what he will in the A., he can do what Murray can do and more, so I hope he stays. If the $ doesn't work, though, we can be as pissed as we want, not much to do about it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:55 PM
oli500

If lapierre was sent down when he had that good strech in his last call up, im not surprise that grabovski is sent down. The canadiens have to change there strategy. Garth murray dosent freaking make a diference in this line up. Grabovski has a ton of speed, and can at least create some scoring chances with that speed and even give the habs some power plays. Garth murray is the complete oposite, he not only takes penaltys, but slows down his line and gives the other team some quality scoring chances with some bone head plays. You dont need both downie and murray especially when both are in the press box at the same time. Id keep one of them.

You have to give those youngster the impresion that if they get called up and do well, they have a chance of staying with the team. The more they play yoyo with those youngster the more there not going to try and affect there overall confidence. I though carboneau at the begining of training camp said he wanted to ice the best team every night. Lapierre and grabovski are both better than murray.

If there going to play urond with are top prospects like that, I rather have them call up guys like corey lockey or Duncan milroy. At least you can show case these people at the nhl level, so if they dont have a future with this team at least your given them an oportunity to impress another organisation.

Last edited by oli500: 01-10-2007 at 01:16 PM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Slick Nick

I'm quitre disapointed, I thought he played very well all 3 games. Now I have a feeling that we're going back to the lines that don't work, or maybe Carbo will try Bonk in between Samsonov and Kovalev and that's not a good idea neither IMO.

Hopefully Pleks will continue his great work from the past few games..

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
eddy

I'm disapointed but not surprised. He was playing some great hockey I really liked his style of play, very exciting when those 3 Russians were on the ice. Maybe Gainey is planning on trading for a veteran 2nd line center I don't know but it won't be the last we see of Grabs thats for sure.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
lilooet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Using the kids in spot duty is the sane way to bring them along as professional players, they get a taste of what's required to play in the NHL and hopefully they apply it in the minors which makes them better in the long run. IMO it's fantastic that the Habs finally have the organizational depth to be able to call up a kid who can not only play at the NHL, but compete (it's been a long time since I've been comfortable with a callup being in the lineup).
Couldn't agree more. And it's not like we all didn't know he would be back with the Dogs sooner than later. Sure he looked great at times (well, a lot of the time) but, like others have said, he needs to learn some D and especially to keep his head up. Furthermore, I have no doubt that Carbo or Bob told him in no uncertain terms that he would be returning after 3 or 4 games.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm even wondering if next year wouldn't be too soon. We might have to patch it up for 1 more year.....
I was thinking that too............

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm even wondering if next year wouldn't be too soon. I can't see him making drastic changes as far as everything that it says here, puck protection, more solid along the boards, keeping his head up, avoiding big checks and so on....in just 1 year???? He might need another one and on top of that, learning the language is not an easy thing as well.

We might have to patch it up for 1 more year.....
I agree...I get the feeling it will take some more time before he's really ready. Will he need another full season in the AHL after this season? I guess that will depend on how quickly Grabs learns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about Grabs...he has elite level speed, and very few in the NHL can stickhandle at that speed the way he can. He has the potential to become a special player.

Right now, I think he has too many deficiencies in his game for us to keep him in the NHL. Firstly, as many have mentioned, for his own good, he's gotta learn how to keep his head up! I've never feared for a guy's head as much as I have when watching Grabs play these past few games. Secondly, his defensive game needs a lot of work. He's very competitive, hustles, and is willing to backcheck, so I know that with time, he'll be reliable; but he still has much to learn in terms of defensive awareness, understanding how to position himself properly, always remembering to backcheck to cover D-men pinching in, etc. He also has a tendency to lose the puck because he's too fast for his own good hehe; a little too jittery with the puck I guess...with time, he'll learn how to better utilize his great speed, and when to be calm with the puck.

Moreover, we have too much NHL-level depth at forward for him to stay in the NHL. Right now, we can afford to let him fine tune his game in the AHL.

In my opinion, Kostitsyn is ready for the NHL. Having watched both in Hamilton, I'm confident in saying that today, Kostitsyn is better defensively than Grabovski, and thus more ready for the NHL. Lapierre is ready for the NHL. Grabovski is not ready for the NHL, but he's mouth-wateringly close!

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:46 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Murray sucks terribly it's a shame to see Grabs sent down so they can play Murray. Hopefully Bonk will be the one inserted instead. Murray no longer deserves to be on this team. We have an entire team of players in the A who are more talented than him and work just as hard.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Slick Nick

Lapierre will center the second line?????? what the hell.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Not surprised, lots to look forward too, would love to see him, I think FHF said if Lats can learn at the NHL level then why not Grabo, still, the team is in great shape.

FHF= Freaky Habs Fan
2 differences: (1) when you don't want to play Lats on an offensive line, you can always plug him on the 4th and he can still be usefull, (2) Lats can't be sent to the AHL.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
lilooet*

I don't really want to start another OT thread so I'll just post it here as passing, mildly uninteresting news: The Leafs have claimed Travis Green off waivers.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Lapierre will center the second line?????? what the hell.
That doesn't make any sense, especially given how well Plekanec's been playing. But then again I don't think any of Plekanec's 4 recent goals have come from centering Samsonov and Kovalev so it might not be that bad an idea. Lapierre likes to drive to the net which is what we desperately need in between Sammy and Kovy. It could work.

Regarding Grabs, I feel like a lot of people: disappointed and not surprised. But I look at the past couple of days more as a "preview" of the kind of offensive talent we can expect once he becomes a full-time NHLer...but for the moment he does have some glaring deficiencies he needs to work on in Hamilton.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Does he have any points yet?
I don't think so, but does it really matter?

I think he played very well and something happened everytime he was on the ice. Pretty exciting player.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That doesn't make any sense, especially given how well Plekanec's been playing. But then again I don't think any of Plekanec's 4 recent goals have come from centering Samsonov and Kovalev so it might not be that bad an idea. Lapierre likes to drive to the net which is what we desperately need in between Sammy and Kovy. It could work.

Regarding Grabs, I feel like a lot of people: disappointed and not surprised. But I look at the past couple of days more as a "preview" of the kind of offensive talent we can expect once he becomes a full-time NHLer...but for the moment he does have some glaring deficiencies he needs to work on in Hamilton.
RDS has Lappy practicing with Kovalev and Samsonov this morning...

Old
01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
znk

Gj kid. You'll be back soon enough!

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
flappuck

Lapierre practiced with Kovalev and Samsonov.

I have no problem with that... The kid plays a high tempo game just like Grabovski does which means that Kovalev has to skate if he wants to keep up...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote