HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holy Smokes, What A Game!

Old
01-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic View Post
IT was so sweet because it was actually the last day of prepaid with fido, and I had tried to get a monthly plan through them earlier in the day, but they were so hard to deal with, that I didn't do it. So I ended up taking my new phone through Bell. It was sweet!
I hate to put a damper in your great news, but I've found Bell to be horrible to deal with.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
when it's all said and done.....if Nostradamus had told me 10.5 years ago that Saku wouldn't reach 500 points until 2007 and that the Habs would never advance past the sceond round of the playoffs I would have been disappointed.
Sure, but the Habs have been a basement team for the last 10 years, so how much can you really expect? And how can you place the blame on Koivu?

Koivu has been the single bright spot for our franchise over the last decade, with the exception of Theo for a couple years. Hard for a guy to put up 100pts/year with crappy linemates, and a team that regularly missed the playoffs.

Finally we have a strong team, and he's on pace for 80 pts.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Was Santa especially nice to you this year?
If you turn a blind eye to Holy Smokes, what's next ? Gee Whilikers ? Heckfire ? He Double ToothPicks ? Nip it in the bud, I always say. We';re forming young minds here. [In truth, I've met Aphotic, and his mind is more formed than mine,but that's not relevant].

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
FinnoHab

Quote:
Anyone else think that fans overcelebrated the milestone of a guy who, in his 11th year, should be celebrating his 800th career point?
If you ask me the milestone is more a reminder of unfulfilled promise than anything.
Hello? Torn retina, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Brian Savage .... ???

417 and ngc put it well in their posts. It was more of a celebration of the man, not to say that it was a massively impressive achievement strictly in terms of numbers, points, etc. The point is not how long it took him to rack those points up - the point is how much adversity he had to go through to rack those points up.

Of course we'd all rather look back at a decade of Koivu and the Habs and see 1,000 points and a couple of Stanley Cups - but as things have turned out, I think looking back and seeing the man with 500 points, still being able to play the game, centering the first line, being widely acknowledged as one of the best leaders in the game today, and having one of the best seasons of his career.... there is no point in talking about being disappointed or "what could have been" .. I'm sure Saku himself is not the "what could have been" type - as fans, let's give him the respect of not adopting that thinking either and look forward and hope that at the end of his long and eventful road with the Habs there is a moment where he lifts the cup with this team - his team.

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
jonny5

Quote:
Hejduk just scored his 500th point last night as well. Took him 7.5 years. Better teammates for sure, but a decade ago Hejduk was not expected to be a much better scorer than Saku, and he has been.

I love the guy...but at the end of the day taking 10.5 years to reach 500 points is not a great feat. Overcoming cancer...you bet that's a triumph...and I was as ecstatic as the next guy when he fought back from that horrible ordeal. I don't question his grit and determination one bit.

Yet if you discount out the year he missed with cancer .... 500 points in 9.5 years is still a disappointment to me given the promise Saku had entering the league. I saw him as a future 100-point scorer in his rookie season, but he never reached his offfensive promise for various reasons.

when it's all said and done.....if Nostradamus had told me 10.5 years ago that Saku wouldn't reach 500 points until 2007 and that the Habs would never advance past the sceond round of the playoffs I would have been disappointed.
Did somebody make a Do-Do in your cereal this morning, because you have got to be pissed off about something, and having a very bad day. Show the man a little respect for his remarkable comebacks and accomplishments.

jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic View Post
Hey all,
I was at the game tonight, and it was by far one of the best games i've ever been to.
Atlanta jumped off to a quick lead, despite Montreal outplaying them by a substantial margin. It seemed like thye just couldn't get a bounce to go their way. I figure it was going to be another disapointing loss.

Midway through the second, a thing came up on the jumbotron to text a certain number and you could win a phone. I texted the number, and ended up winning a new Moto Razr V3c. IT was so sweet because it was actually the last day of prepaid with fido, and I had tried to get a monthly plan through them earlier in the day, but they were so hard to deal with, that I didn't do it. So I ended up taking my new phone through Bell. It was sweet!
After I got the call that I won the phone, I said to my friend that the only thing that could make the night better would be if the Habs won.

No sooner did I say that, the Habs scored. They were buzzing the last few minutes of the second. They came out with a vengence in the third, witht he quick goal, then two more.

When Koivu got his 500th point and they announced it, the place went nuts. I swear it must've been a 5 minute ovation for him. They were playing, and nobody cared, we just kept chanting "Saku, Saku." It was by far the best atmosphere I've ever felt at a habs game. The way all the fans bonded together in their love for Koivu was absolutely magical, and it made me so proud to be a Habs fan, and even more proud that I was at the game to witness the milestone.

Tonight was definitely a night I won't forget!
I was also at the game, the ovation for Saku was just amazing.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:32 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Hejduk just scored his 500th point last night as well. Took him 7.5 years. Better teammates for sure, but a decade ago Hejduk was not expected to be a much better scorer than Saku, and he has been.

I love the guy...but at the end of the day taking 10.5 years to reach 500 points is not a great feat. Overcoming cancer...you bet that's a triumph...and I was as ecstatic as the next guy when he fought back from that horrible ordeal. I don't question his grit and determination one bit.

Yet if you discount out the year he missed with cancer .... 500 points in 9.5 years is still a disappointment to me given the promise Saku had entering the league. I saw him as a future 100-point scorer in his rookie season, but he never reached his offfensive promise for various reasons.

Can I just ask, what is your point? 'So he reached 500 points... he should have done it faster!"

I think it's fair to say that we all wish he had 1000 points by now, but life (and a team of scrubs) interfered with his chances at that. So he's beaten the odds again and again and reached a milestone that the vast majority of NHL players will never reach. Let's celebrate 500, it's still a hell of a feat for a hell of a man. One of the only people I don't know in person who has my utmost respect.

Why do you even need to bother nitpicking at something like this? It's such a trivial argument that it really just totally baffles me... Do you really desire attention that much? Give Saku a round of applause, and get over yourself my friend!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If you turn a blind eye to Holy Smokes, what's next ? Gee Whilikers ? Heckfire ? He Double ToothPicks ? Nip it in the bud, I always say. We';re forming young minds here. [In truth, I've met Aphotic, and his mind is more formed than mine,but that's not relevant].
I don't know man, "nip it in the bud" sounds pretty naughty too. I think we need a task force to settle this way too liberal linguistic matter.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I don't know man, "nip it in the bud" sounds pretty naughty too. I think we need a task force to settle this way too liberal linguistic matter.
I know, I got all tingly when I typed it. I thought my arm had fallen asleep or something. It's been that long.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:39 AM
AD

Quote:

Holy Moly!

Right now (and over the last 10 years), who would you choose. Hejduk? or Koivu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:35 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnoHab View Post
Hello? Torn retina, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Brian Savage .... ???

417 and ngc put it well in their posts. It was more of a celebration of the man, not to say that it was a massively impressive achievement strictly in terms of numbers, points, etc. The point is not how long it took him to rack those points up - the point is how much adversity he had to go through to rack those points up.

Of course we'd all rather look back at a decade of Koivu and the Habs and see 1,000 points and a couple of Stanley Cups - but as things have turned out, I think looking back and seeing the man with 500 points, still being able to play the game, centering the first line, being widely acknowledged as one of the best leaders in the game today, and having one of the best seasons of his career.... there is no point in talking about being disappointed or "what could have been" .. I'm sure Saku himself is not the "what could have been" type - as fans, let's give him the respect of not adopting that thinking either and look forward and hope that at the end of his long and eventful road with the Habs there is a moment where he lifts the cup with this team - his team.
Well put. In the most promising season in a long time he's still the MVP, The Captain.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Well put. In the most promising season in a long time he's still the MVP, The Captain.
Its spelled Kaptain.

He's that good.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote