HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: New York Islanders @ New York Rangers - 7PM

Old
01-10-2007, 08:10 AM
JerseyRangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This wasn't the most physical game since the washington game..Infact after the Washington game you wondered how the Rangers would survive the next 5 because of the physical teams....The Rangers went 4-1 in that period...

The Rangers played more "physical" games in the past 5 games. The difference is the Rangers were outplayed tonight in every department..

If only we didnt' have such a selfish enforcer...if only he would've dressed tonight...

This was about effort tonight....call it physical if it makes you feel better...
Difference is that after the non boarding call hit on Hollweg by Hill in the 1st you could see that physically the Rangers started shying away from contact. That was the turning point in the game. From there on the Fishies did whatever they wanted to physically and no one on the Rangers responded. Hollweg was drilled headfirst into the boards from behind. Someone should have destroyed Blake on the next shift. Once again, this team fails to defend its own. Once again it led to a loss. Pretty simple concept, don't you think?

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think well see Weekes on Thursday

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well thats it for the GDT streak.

Someone else take the reins for thursday.

Old
01-10-2007, 08:19 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Difference is that after the non boarding call hit on Hollweg by Hill in the 1st you could see that physically the Rangers started shying away from contact. That was the turning point in the game. From there on the Fishies did whatever they wanted to physically and no one on the Rangers responded. Hollweg was drilled headfirst into the boards from behind. Someone should have destroyed Blake on the next shift. Once again, this team fails to defend its own. Once again it led to a loss. Pretty simple concept, don't you think?
Hollweg was drilled twice into the boards from behind last night. Prucha was in Montreal at the end of the second aslo. I thought all 3 could have been called.

Besides the fact that you are right about sticking up for one another again, The Rangers should send some tape to the NHL with all the missed penalties the last few. Especially the boardings.

I also saw about 3 or 4 holding the stick infractions (including one on Tyutin, in which HE got the penalty) and a few other times when the Isles were holding on the jersey with the Rangers in the zone. Once again, an inconsistent night for the Refs. But hey, on thursday theyll be all penalties right?

But in all fairness, the Rangers had two key powerplays in which they could have built their lead or took the lead back, that i think wouldve really crushed the Isles spirit, especially when losing 6 straight and having the lead at one point.

We still havent seen the Rangers pound down the opposition in games like these where that extra goal breaks the other teams back (similar to the Sillingers 2nd) - thats the next thing this team has to build towards, that killers instinct.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-10-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old
01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
If you really want to get bent about the Rangers play( and Marek Malik in particular) watch the third goal by the Isles Mike Sillinger early in the second period. Specifically watch Malik. I've watched the twenty or thirty seconds prior to the goal about five times and every single complaint that the fans have about him was magnified by the events leading up to that goal. Disgraceful. And I'm one of the few Malik supporters. After watching the third goal, I don't have a leg to stand on as far as debating his effectivness. When Malik plays like a corpse, Rosival (to his defense) ends up trying to do too much. When Roszy plays above his skill set, then watch out.,the turnovers start coming. If you want to see stick checking at its best, in the worst possible areas of the ice, then focus on that third goal and tell me that that goal does not epitomize the negatives of this team.
Completely agree. That goal was disgraceful. As usual , Rozival + Malik absolutely refused to put a body on any of the Islanders in front of the net.

Slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Let them have their win and 13th place.. I'm gonna stay positive, and hope last night was the beginning of Jagr coming back to life..

Not for nothing, but you guys arent that far (5 points) from 13th either.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Let them have their win and 13th place.. I'm gonna stay positive, and hope last night was the beginning of Jagr coming back to life..

Jagr can average 3 points a game from here on out, but if the defense doesn't buckle down, we're still a .500 team.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
ap215

First we couldn't get a win against Buffalo and now the Islanders. Unbelievable.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap215 View Post
First we couldn't get a win against Buffalo and now the Islanders. Unbelievable.
Sad thing is they atleast took Buffalo to an OT once and a Shootout another. They have yet to get any points from the Islanders at best they can split the series with them, pathetic how they have played this team.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Sad thing is they atleast took Buffalo to an OT once and a Shootout another. They have yet to get any points from the Islanders at best they can split the series with them, pathetic how they have played this team.
I'm not too upset that we lost to the Islanders. It's going to happen from time to time. We've had their number for a couple of seasons, now they have ours. What bugs the hell out of me is that this team seems to have no interest in this rivalry. If you're going to lose, fine, then lose. But at least lose with some dignity. Show up to the game! Get your hands dirty! Get pissed! The Islander are a .500 bubble team (right now), but you'd never guess that when they show up against the Rangers. The Islanders show up fire in their eyes, the Rangers show up with their tail between their legs.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I'm not too upset that we lost to the Islanders. It's going to happen from time to time. We've had their number for a couple of seasons, now they have ours. What bugs the hell out of me is that this team seems to have no interest in this rivalry. If you're going to lose, fine, then lose. But at least lose with some dignity. Show up to the game! Get your hands dirty! Get pissed! The Islander are a .500 bubble team (right now), but you'd never guess that when they show up against the Rangers. The Islanders show up fire in their eyes, the Rangers show up with their tail between their legs.
Agreed, they lacked any emotion whats so ever last night, I just dont get it.

Old
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I know its been talked about already but Renney's rant was spot on and hopefully he can convey his disapointment in his team and they respond on thurday. For those who havent seen/heard the comments go here http://msgnetwork.com/rangers2.jsp , click on the colum next to the picture of Kasper and click on multimedia and click on Renney's picture and enjoy a 7min 40 second rant of a pissed coach. Finally Renney shows some emotion, I respect his usual calmness and level headedness but he needed react the way he did IMO.

Old
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Rangers 22-18-4
Islanders 20-19-3 (2 games in hand plus 4-0 vs. the Rangers)

Is there really that much of a difference?

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
Rangers 22-18-4
Islanders 20-19-3 (2 games in hand plus 4-0 vs. the Rangers)

Is there really that much of a difference?
No. Which is why I said "Right Now". So don't be offended.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Fletch

Right now...

there isn't much difference. The Rangers are a .500 team and the Isles are two games under with two game in hand. With the way the Isles have played of late, taking out the Rangers game, some may not expect those games in hand to be won and thus would then be 4 games under .500 - but of course that remains to be seen as as Shadow says, you don't know which Isles team will show up (just like the Rangers), which is a sign of .500 teams.

Personally, I think the Rangers' roster is better, if not for anything else, but for Jagr who is a difference maker. The Isles have shown a lot of guts this season and I think their coach has something to do with it. I personally am not too surprised, but also, we're only halfway through the season and some teams seem to be tapering off a bit as we get to crunch time. The end of January may show some further separation of the better teams from the bubble teams. Let's see who they will be...

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I know its been talked about already but Renney's rant was spot on and hopefully he can convey his disapointment in his team and they respond on thurday. For those who havent seen/heard the comments go here http://msgnetwork.com/rangers2.jsp , click on the colum next to the picture of Kasper and click on multimedia and click on Renney's picture and enjoy a 7min 40 second rant of a pissed coach. Finally Renney shows some emotion, I respect his usual calmness and level headedness but he needed react the way he did IMO.

Thanks for the clip. Thats my first time hearing it and did you notice what he said at the 6:15 mark "wheter or not we need to redefine ourselves with some different personnel remains to be seen". I hope that doesn't mean replacing Pock with rachuneck when he is healthy. I'd love to see a strong statement made for the next game and have Malik in the press box.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 01-10-2007 at 03:16 PM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

^ My impression from the personel coment wasnt sitting Pock but rather a possible trade. Thats how I took it atleast, who knows though, sitting Pock is definitly something Renney hasnt been opposed to, thats for sure lol.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there isn't much difference. The Rangers are a .500 team and the Isles are two games under with two game in hand. With the way the Isles have played of late, taking out the Rangers game, some may not expect those games in hand to be won and thus would then be 4 games under .500 - but of course that remains to be seen as as Shadow says, you don't know which Isles team will show up (just like the Rangers), which is a sign of .500 teams.

Personally, I think the Rangers' roster is better, if not for anything else, but for Jagr who is a difference maker. The Isles have shown a lot of guts this season and I think their coach has something to do with it. I personally am not too surprised, but also, we're only halfway through the season and some teams seem to be tapering off a bit as we get to crunch time. The end of January may show some further separation of the better teams from the bubble teams. Let's see who they will be...
I would agree that the Rangers have a better roster....but that doesn't always make a better "team".

Any Islander success this season has, surprisingly, come from strong play in goal (mostly DiPietro) and good role players like Sillinger, Witt and Hill who have brought a new attitude to the team. They all stick up for each other and generally seem to really get along well which hasn't been the case in recent years. They play a fearless game also...especially against the Rangers.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Fletch

I agree, Melanson...

Nolan was the perfect coach for that set of players. He likes his role guys, plays them in their right roles, and gets the best out of them.

As for the better 'team', I was careful to put 'roster' and not team intentionally. The Rangers as a 'team' still are trying to find an identity. If they can figure it out, they can be the better team. I actually think the Isles are a decent team, but I also think that they're playing at about their potential, which is that of a playoff contender who could surprise teams here and there through hardwork, of which they're capable.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Edge

I think it's more of a given night scenario.

When they are on, the Rangers seems like the better team to me.

However they also seem to have more peaks and valley's IMO.

How that all averages out when we got to April I haven't a clue.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Nolan was the perfect coach for that set of players. He likes his role guys, plays them in their right roles, and gets the best out of them.

As for the better 'team', I was careful to put 'roster' and not team intentionally. The Rangers as a 'team' still are trying to find an identity. If they can figure it out, they can be the better team. I actually think the Isles are a decent team, but I also think that they're playing at about their potential, which is that of a playoff contender who could surprise teams here and there through hardwork, of which they're capable.
The problem with the Isles, IMO, is just what you are saying. They were probably playing to the top of their potential before a couple of injuries (Yashin re-injuring his knee and Martinek) and now have slipped since then.

If the Isles pick up another consistent scorer to take the pressure off of Blake/Yashin I'd be pretty optimistic.

The Rangers, again IMO, need to have someone on Jagr's line to protect him like the Isles did with Simon earlier in the season playing with Yashin/Blake. He needs freedom to move like he has on the power play where he is virtually unstoppable when healthy. A rugged winger who also has some skill would really improve the Rangers.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
The problem with the Isles, IMO, is just what you are saying. They were probably playing to the top of their potential before a couple of injuries (Yashin re-injuring his knee and Martinek) and now have slipped since then.

If the Isles pick up another consistent scorer to take the pressure off of Blake/Yashin I'd be pretty optimistic.

The Rangers, again IMO, need to have someone on Jagr's line to protect him like the Isles did with Simon earlier in the season playing with Yashin/Blake. He needs freedom to move like he has on the power play where he is virtually unstoppable when healthy. A rugged winger who also has some skill would really improve the Rangers.

It's tough to break up the Nylander/Straka/Jagr line though because of the chemistry they have. We have a rugged winger in Shanny who could move up to the top line but that line plays a certain way and it works for them. It would help if we had a rugged D man who played the majority of time when that line was on the ice who would step up and challenge the Witts of the world when they start to annoy Jagr. Unfortunately Malik and Rosy are on the ice the majority of the time when that line is on and they benefit by getting inflated +/- ratings and bring absolutely zero toughness to the table.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
It's tough to break up the Nylander/Straka/Jagr line though because of the chemistry they have. We have a rugged winger in Shanny who could move up to the top line but that line plays a certain way and it works for them. It would help if we had a rugged D man who played the majority of time when that line was on the ice who would step up and challenge the Witts of the world when they start to annoy Jagr. Unfortunately Malik and Rosy are on the ice the majority of the time when that line is on and they benefit by getting inflated +/- ratings and bring absolutely zero toughness to the table.
Toughness has made a night and day difference in the Islanders from last season to this one.

I highly recommend it

Old
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Toughness has made a night and day difference in the Islanders from last season to this one.

I highly recommend it

It needs to be an entire team attitude change. I don't think adding one player is gonna change anything. You would have thought Shanny fighting Brash would have lit a fire under these guys. Guys like Adam Hall and Jason Ward who were sitting on the bench while Shanny (the teams leading goal scorer) is fighting one of the toughest guys in the league. You would have hoped that just for a moment they would have thought to themselves " hey, maybe I should have thought of doing that, since I am a 3/4th line role player, maybe just maybe since I don't help my team on the scoresheet I can step up and defend my teammates when the occasion calls for it instead of my teams leading goal scorer having to do it". Unfortunately you can't teach toughness.

Old
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
It needs to be an entire team attitude change. I don't think adding one player is gonna change anything. You would have thought Shanny fighting Brash would have lit a fire under these guys. Guys like Adam Hall and Jason Ward who were sitting on the bench while Shanny (the teams leading goal scorer) is fighting one of the toughest guys in the league. You would have hoped that just for a moment they would have thought to themselves " hey, maybe I should have thought of doing that, since I am a 3/4th line role player, maybe just maybe since I don't help my team on the scoresheet I can step up and defend my teammates when the occasion calls for it instead of my teams leading goal scorer having to do it". Unfortunately you can't teach toughness.
I liked it better when we had Simon, Barnaby, Petrovicky, I guess Sather thought they had too much heart and were too physical

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote