HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To re-hash the Jessiman issue

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
  #76
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
It looks as though...

Jessiman was ranked #20 among NA skaters. Couldn't find mock drafts.
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030515/nhl_draft-sun.html

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
  #77
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I had high hopes for Jassiman due to the combination of size and scoring ability, but always wanted Parise more. I thought Parise was so far more likely to reach his potential that it was worth taking him ahead of a guy who had the body to be a heavyweight power forward. Anyway, Parise will probably be a first liner in NJ in a few years and Jessiman will likely be bumming around in the AHL if he's lucky. Another point for Lou I guess.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:30 PM
  #78
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,912
vCash: 1000
he has been sent to the echl?

not a good sign

BTW

Welcome to the Glen Sather school of having no idea how to draft anymore

his last ten years in Edmonton was more or less a joke when it came to drafting

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
  #79
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
One of the deepest drafts in 30 years and he was the only one you wanted?
Come draft time I tend to focus on one guy I would love the Rangers to have. Yes, he was my guy. After that, I didn't really know all that much. When I was 17 or 18, I had a ton of time to focus on these things, now I'm in my 30's and life gets in the way... BTW if Jessiman was a third or fourth rounder, would people be this upset? No. They wouldn't even be talking about him. The pick has been made, deal with it. All the complaining in the world won't make the situation any different. Give the guy his time and let him develop. If he turns out to be a nobody, we certainly won't be the first team to miss on a first rounder.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:23 AM
  #80
Esa 10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
If he turns out to be a nobody, we certainly won't be the first team to miss on a first rounder.
But we look at this point like the ONLY team to miss out on a 2003 1st rounder. That's what probably gets people so upset in this case. In other drafts you have a number of 1st rounders tanking. Here, only 1 other guy hasn't seen NHL action. And no one's been sent down to the ECHL. People have very good reason to be pissed with THIS PARTICULAR draft.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:31 AM
  #81
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
BTW if Jessiman was a third or fourth rounder, would people be this upset? No. They wouldn't even be talking about him. The pick has been made, deal with it. All the complaining in the world won't make the situation any different. Give the guy his time and let him develop. If he turns out to be a nobody, we certainly won't be the first team to miss on a first rounder.
But he wasn't a 3rd or 4th rounder. He was the 12 player taken in a very good draft by a team that needed to take a player they were sure (or as close to it) would play in the NHL.

The complaining won't make a difference but lets not overlook what a bad pick this has turned out to be.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:23 AM
  #82
blueliner94
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Even if by some miracle Hugh does turn out to be a power foawrd he can be..... Do you think power fowards even have a future anymore in this "New" NHL? It seems like more and more that you put your hands on anybody they are calling it more and more. Big is not in anymore small and shifty is

blueliner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:56 AM
  #83
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there was a lot of depth in the first round, meaning it would be tough to screw up a first round pick since there were so many potential NHLers in that first round, and some with very good potential. There was depth in latter rounds too, but with guys like Getzlaf, Parise and Bernier later in the first, there was a lot from which to pick. I don't think the Rangers were the only ones to get it wrong though.
Right, but the "depth" is more relevant to the non-first round picks, for example being able to pick a 1st round talent in the second round, etc. Was the 12th overall pick in this draft any better than in most other good drafts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Jessiman was ranked #20 among NA skaters. Couldn't find mock drafts.
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030515/nhl_draft-sun.html
Interesting to see those rankings. Guys like Seabrook, Carter and Richards (guys that are often brought up when talking about Hugh) were all ranked lower than Jessiman.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
  #84
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
I get it. You guys would rather have chosen someone else. But do we have to bring this up over and over again? I don't see quarterly threads being brought up on the Canadiens board griping about how the Candiens passed on Patrice Bergeron (who is the second best player stats wise in that draft only to Staal) TWICE to draft Kositsyn and some guy named Cory Urquhart. Quit beating the dead horse. The fact is that while you guys are saying it's one of the deepest drafts ever, most of the guys who are really making big impacts weren't even available to us when we picked. Bergeron is the one guy every team can honestly say they missed on because he was a second rounder. Who's the franchise player we missed out on picking at #12?
13 Dustin Brown 10Goals
14 Brent Seabrook 111 games played, where would he play here.
15 Robert Nilsson AHL
16 Steve Bernier AHL
17 Zach Parise 17 goals this year
18 Eric Fehr AHL
19 Ryan Getzlaf 18 goals this year
20 Brent Burns 146 games played, but wouldn't have gotten playing time here.
21 Mark Stuart AHL
22 MA Pouliot AHL
23 Ryan Kesler 5 goals and making over 1M
24 Mike Richards 1 goal
25 Anthony Stewart AHL
26 Brian Boyle Still in college
27 Jeff Tambellini AHL
28 Corey Perry 12 goals
29 Patrick Eaves 7 goals
30 Shawn Belle AHL
So the argument is really that we should have drafted Parise, Brown, Perry or Getzlaf, right? Because you know that this team would not have had Seabrrok or Burns plying full time last year, and probably not even this year. Staal IMO is a better prospect than either one and he's not here now. Even if we did pick one of those 4 forwards, I don't think it's the earthshattering event some of you make it out to be. Perry and Getzlaf are on what is arguably the best team in hockey, and I happen to think Parise is overrated. So we took a chance. It's not like we traded our franchise goalie away and passed up on Heatly and Gaborik to draft a goalie. There have been bigger mistakes made.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
  #85
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Come draft time I tend to focus on one guy I would love the Rangers to have. Yes, he was my guy. After that, I didn't really know all that much. When I was 17 or 18, I had a ton of time to focus on these things, now I'm in my 30's and life gets in the way... BTW if Jessiman was a third or fourth rounder, would people be this upset? No. They wouldn't even be talking about him. The pick has been made, deal with it. All the complaining in the world won't make the situation any different. Give the guy his time and let him develop. If he turns out to be a nobody, we certainly won't be the first team to miss on a first rounder.
Problem is he wasn't a third or fourth liner, moot point.

Secondly complaining won't change it, but this also isn't a "happy topics only" board. Just like we get a million threads about how good a player is when they make it (See Lundqvist, Prucha) we're also going to get them when something bombs.

This thread happens far less than MANY other topics on this board. If it bothers you that much to read it than don't, it's really about as simple as that.

I'll take the quarterly Jessiman thread over the million Orr threads or the million threads about our defense or what Renney is doing wrong, etc. etc. etc.

Complaining doesn't change any of those situations either. So if you don't like it than don't read the thread. The thing is labeled, you know what's going to be in it.

If I don't want to read about Orr for the 10,000,000th time I'm not going to go through a thread that says "Rate Orr as a player".

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
  #86
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Problem is he wasn't a third or fourth liner, moot point.

Secondly complaining won't change it, but this also isn't a "happy topics only" board. Just like we get a million threads about how good a player is when they make it (See Lundqvist, Prucha) we're also going to get them when something bombs.

This thread happens far less than MANY other topics on this board. If it bothers you that much to read it than don't, it's really about as simple as that.

I'll take the quarterly Jessiman thread over the million Orr threads or the million threads about our defense or what Renney is doing wrong, etc. etc. etc.

Complaining doesn't change any of those situations either. So if you don't like it than don't read the thread. The thing is labeled, you know what's going to be in it.

If I don't want to read about Orr for the 10,000,000th time I'm not going to go through a thread that says "Rate Orr as a player".


I see you're as tired of the "let's stop talking about this subject" responses as I am.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
  #87
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Edge, I'm not one of these thread nazis who gets all crazy when people bring things up that I don't want to hear. I think I've brought valid points to the discussion and provided basis for my arguments. So please don't give me the don't read it if you don't like it stuff, I'm not some 7th grader home sick from school. I just think it's ridiculous that people seem to be focusing on this one particular pick as though it is the unravelling point of this entire organization. Yes it was a deep draft. That to me means you will get guys in the second round that would normally be first rounders, like Ivan Baranka, who the team is pretty high on. It doesn't mean that every guy in the first round is going to be a player. It just baffles me how people can be so pissed about the first rounder in 2003 but ignore the fact that the 2002 draft was a monumental disaster:
rd2 Lee Falardeau-ECHL (Jarret Stoll was there)
rd3 Marcus Jonasen- hasnt played hockey since 2005 (Matt Lombardi was there)
rd4 Nate Guenin plying in AHL for Philly (Lasse Pirjeta was there)
rd5 Mike Walsh- ECHL (Paul Ranger and Ian White were there)
rd6 Kim Herschovits-WHO? (Dennis Wideman?)
rd7 Joey Crabb plying AHL chicago wolves (Steffan Kronwall)
rd8 Petr Prucha The only player they scored a hit with.
Rd 9 Rob Flynn- Playing in a league called the SPHL... I don't even know what planet thats on.
So you may be getting tired of me, but I think it's kinda funny to call one pick such a bad move for this team and not even bring up that they wasted a whole draft year other than their lucky stab at Prucha after half the GM's went home for the day. You want a thing to gripe about, this is the kind of I would like to gripe about instead of one particular kid.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:47 PM
  #88
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
It seems Jessiman is the symbol of our draft failures of the pre-purge Sather era. I was for firing his sorry butt. His failures up north during the last years of his tenure are legendary. Poor trades plus poor drafting has frustrated even the most dedicated. Jessiman represents these failures. Personally I was praying for Getzlaf but what do I know?

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
  #89
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Edge, I'm not one of these thread nazis who gets all crazy when people bring things up that I don't want to hear. I think I've brought valid points to the discussion and provided basis for my arguments. So please don't give me the don't read it if you don't like it stuff, I'm not some 7th grader home sick from school. I just think it's ridiculous that people seem to be focusing on this one particular pick as though it is the unravelling point of this entire organization. Yes it was a deep draft. That to me means you will get guys in the second round that would normally be first rounders, like Ivan Baranka, who the team is pretty high on. It doesn't mean that every guy in the first round is going to be a player. It just baffles me how people can be so pissed about the first rounder in 2003 but ignore the fact that the 2002 draft was a monumental disaster:
rd2 Lee Falardeau-ECHL (Jarret Stoll was there)
rd3 Marcus Jonasen- hasnt played hockey since 2005 (Matt Lombardi was there)
rd4 Nate Guenin plying in AHL for Philly (Lasse Pirjeta was there)
rd5 Mike Walsh- ECHL (Paul Ranger and Ian White were there)
rd6 Kim Herschovits-WHO? (Dennis Wideman?)
rd7 Joey Crabb plying AHL chicago wolves (Steffan Kronwall)
rd8 Petr Prucha The only player they scored a hit with.
Rd 9 Rob Flynn- Playing in a league called the SPHL... I don't even know what planet thats on.
So you may be getting tired of me, but I think it's kinda funny to call one pick such a bad move for this team and not even bring up that they wasted a whole draft year other than their lucky stab at Prucha after half the GM's went home for the day. You want a thing to gripe about, this is the kind of I would like to gripe about instead of one particular kid.
2002 wasn't so hot, but I don't think any of those players you listed besides Stoll(who we've had many threads about before) are worth much anyway. Come on, Lasse Pirjeta?

Remember we had no 1st or 3rd rounder in that draft and Slats was just coming in so I can't fault them as much as the Jessiman pick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
  #90
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Bluenote

Sather came to the Rangers in June 2000--he has full responsibility for the 2002 draft and was responsible for trading away the 1st round pick (Bure deal if I remember correctly).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
  #91
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Just putting my 2 cents in here, but it seems to me folks are getting annoyed about a pick that we all knew was a project from the getgo. Big guys like that NOT named Lindros, generally tend to take some serious developmental time anyway! At this point I am dissapointed with his development, but I believe its still too early by at least a couple of more seasons to call this guy a bust. If he can fuel his aggressiveness, improve his skating, and LEARN the game better( ice smarts)he may yet surprise alot of us. And on a side note, power forwards NEVER fall out of favor in the NHL, they're a rare and much cherished commodity!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
  #92
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I don't think the Flyers board has a Matt Zultec thread 4 times a year.
No, but then their record of drafting and developing is quite a bit better than the Rangers, so they get far more slack.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:17 PM
  #93
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Whatever the case, he's a bust, plain and simple.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
  #94
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
It was for Bure...

I cannot recall if that was a decent pick. I know the one for Brendl, Sather's first draft, Tampa picked Alexeev, and there wasn't much success around that pick in that season anyways.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:07 AM
  #95
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
This subject is officially a dead horse that has been beaten into glue. Seriously, is anybody going to get sick of trying to get the last word in on a dead issue.

Staal just turned 20 today. When does the bust clock start on him?

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:01 AM
  #96
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This subject is officially a dead horse that has been beaten into glue. Seriously, is anybody going to get sick of trying to get the last word in on a dead issue.

Staal just turned 20 today. When does the bust clock start on him?
Like Edge said, is reading the monthly "Here comes Hossa" thread better?

Just to add, becuase the '02 & '03 drafts (Falardeau and Jessiman) have had such an impact on the organization, the topic will continue to come up.


Last edited by True Blue: 01-14-2007 at 08:18 AM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.