HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Fischer update

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
  #1
The Big E
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
David Fischer update

Last weekend was a big weekend for David Fischer in Gooferland. Five Goofers were at the Juniors in Sweden and the remaining Goofers took on Mankato St. in a home-n-away series. Friday night's game was the most interesting -- The game was in Mankato plus the Goofs had 9 forwards and 6 (maybe 7) defense. Early in the second, one of the forwards, Mark Pohl, hurt his shoulder. I recall that a D stepped up to play forward.

All-in-all, Fischer played huge minutes and looked pretty solid against a pumped up and hard-hitting Mankato State team. Mankato's strategy was to pound the **** out of their opponents hoping they'd fade in the 3rd. It didn't happen.

David's puck movement is unspectacular (compared to Erik Johnson and Alex Goligosky who have wicked-nasty breakout passes and are incredible on the PP), but he never looked stupid nor turned the puck over. He's not expected to contribute offensively, so he can relax and get used to the WCHA-play.

With the way he's progressing this year, he's going to have a great year next year once Johnson, Goligosky and Vanelli are gone.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
  #2
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Great stuff; thanks. I was going to start a thread on the prospect board asking for feedback on Fischer from Gopher fans since I knew he'd be getting lots of ice time with all of his teammates at the WJC - you saved me the trouble.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
  #3
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Nice...

But I have a question. When you say that he's unspectacular with his puck mouvement, is it because it's not his role to do that job or just because you believe he don't have what it takes to do it?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
  #4
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,807
vCash: 1976
did they win or lose?

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
  #5
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Nice...

But I have a question. When you say that he's unspectacular with his puck mouvement, is it because it's not his role to do that job or just because you believe he don't have what it takes to do it?
Havent's seen him play yet but it has to be a question of confidence and the need of a little more experience.

'Cause at the dev. camp while Carle was probably the most impressive as far as quick passes and vision, Fischer showed glimpses of that as well. He's suppose to develop in a great 2-way defender, as strange as it sounds, and with what I've seen so far, he's definately impressive defensively, he was impossible to beat 1 on 1. Now, he'll have to work on his offensives, but it will come with time. Long term project but that could turn out quite good.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
  #6
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Nice...

But I have a question. When you say that he's unspectacular with his puck mouvement, is it because it's not his role to do that job or just because you believe he don't have what it takes to do it?
His puck moving is likely his best asset, he moves it well imo. Would like to see him shoot more, he never shoots the puck, either passes or dumps it in when near the offensive zone. Defensively he's been solid though. This weekend will be a great matchup with Wisconsin, should be some good games.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:18 PM
  #7
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
did they win or lose?
they win, 5-1 and 1-0

__________________

Habs Prospects website

Last edited by habsprospects: 01-10-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: lol, answering yes in a X or X question
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
  #8
FTowwn
Registered User
 
FTowwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
do youi think fischer could ever become a first pairing d man?

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
  #9
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He sounds like E Desjardin

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
  #10
VanNistelrooy
Registered User
 
VanNistelrooy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Habs Land
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Seems like the defensive core is pretty solid in Minnesota this year.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:18 PM
  #11
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Fischer looks like a solid but unspectacular player... I'm still not sold on his chances to live up the expectations of a first round pick. Seriously, he looks solid but he seems to be very limited.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
  #12
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Fischer looks like a solid but unspectacular player... I'm still not sold on his chances to live up the expectations of a first round pick. Seriously, he looks solid but he seems to be very limited.
Maybe he looks very limited because he's a rookie who was only in High School next year...it's a huge step for him.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:11 AM
  #13
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Maybe he looks very limited because he's a rookie who was only in High School next year...it's a huge step for him.
I know that... BUT he's an NHL draftee and a first round pick on top of it. I understand the definition of a project, but there's many other guys of the same age who graduated in this league and they definately look better at this point. All I'm saying is that Fischer looks a little bit limited in skills at this point. In fact, other than being solid in his own end (but not extraordinary) he did nothing to impress. That's not my definition of a bluechip prospect.

Of course I'll wait a few years because he has the potential to develop into a good NHLer, I'm only saying that I don't think he'll live up to the expectations we have of a first round draftee. That's it.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:08 AM
  #14
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I know that... BUT he's an NHL draftee and a first round pick on top of it. I understand the definition of a project, but there's many other guys of the same age who graduated in this league and they definately look better at this point. All I'm saying is that Fischer looks a little bit limited in skills at this point. In fact, other than being solid in his own end (but not extraordinary) he did nothing to impress. That's not my definition of a bluechip prospect.

Of course I'll wait a few years because he has the potential to develop into a good NHLer, I'm only saying that I don't think he'll live up to the expectations we have of a first round draftee. That's it.
Nigel Williams, who was suppose to go in the 1st round had trouble just being in the lineup with the Wisconsin team in the NCAA (don't know the NCAA that much but I don't believe Wisconsin is that much of a powerhouse, at least not like Minnesota....), was benched a couple of times, looked lost on the ice and so on (by some reports we got) but then decides to play for Saginaw in the OHL and has 12 goals and 21 points in 19 games and while not the greatest out there, his point total makes him look good....

Obviously, if we were expecting him to be in the lineup in 2 years, you will be dissapointed but I don't think it was ever the case. Pretty clear that he was a long-term project, wouldn't even be surprised if Carle and even Valentenko would be in the Pros before him. In the end though, his skillset and his upside looks much greater than the other two.

It's possible that if the Habs go the d-men route on this draft again, they might take a Wishart's type of guy, less upside, but ready sooner.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:51 PM
  #15
The Big E
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Nice...

But I have a question. When you say that he's unspectacular with his puck mouvement, is it because it's not his role to do that job or just because you believe he don't have what it takes to do it?
He looks unspectular because he's surrounded by some of the most talented players in college hockey. He'll blossom next season once Erik Johnson, Alex Goligosky and Mike Vanelli are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
did they win or lose?
Spanked 'em 5-1 on Fri night, had all the right bounces on Sunday to win 1-0. Truthfully, Mankato should've won on Sunday ... but that's the way it goes when you're on a massive winning streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filly_canadiens View Post
do youi think fischer could ever become a first pairing d man?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Fischer looks like a solid but unspectacular player... I'm still not sold on his chances to live up the expectations of a first round pick. Seriously, he looks solid but he seems to be very limited.
Nah. I have to disagree. He's stepped from High School hockey directly into the greatest hockey program in college hockey and hasn't looked out of place with a completely unreal amount of blueline talent. This is huge for an 18 yr old. He only looks unspectacular because of the how awesome Erik Johnson and Alex Goligosky are playing. These two are ****ing awesome. It's no knock on David, it's just that EJ in particular will likely be dominating in the NHL starting next season ... he's a man among boys at the college level.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.