HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My observations of Lubomir Visnovsky...

Old
01-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
wow...this is the guy who supposedly going to solve the Oilers problem in the back end? I hope he's having a tough night tonight because I'm not overly impressed.

The good so far...
He possesses good (not great, excellent or outstanding) offensive awareness. Instead of wiring a shot at the net on one play (the way MAB would) he instead elected to simply get the puck in hopes for a rebound. An LA player did get a rebound. It resulted in almost a goal.

The bad...
- He's getting tossed around in the back end. He doesn't make up for his lack in size with grit and toughness the way Spacek did.
- Had a couple turnovers
- Invisible, i barely notice him on the ice. (Hence the evaluation of him not being outstanding)
- Isn't doing anything special in the defensive zone.

Is this the guy we're trading FIRST ROUND PICKS for? This is supposed to be the guy we were willing to trade players like Torres of Horcoff for. I'm sorry guys, if we're recieving a #1-2 dman, i would more than likely oblige. But to suggest that Visnovsky is worth that much is ludicrous.

1. I would put him behind Staios, Smid and Smith in our defensive corps. He is not by any means a #1 defenseman,
2. At the most, i would offer Chorney/Petry/Roy and a 2nd rounder at the most. If LA doesn't like it, i would tell them to take a hike.

I get to watch the guy on FSW pretty regularly - and this review matches what I see of him most nights - I am still waiting to be impressed.........

He's not a guy at the top of my list at all.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
In the interview with Lowe before the game tonight, he mentioned that they were primarily looking for a defencemen who could play the point on the power play, and less importantly playing defence in our own zone...

I would say Visnovsky fits this role perfectly..
because our play in our defensive end has been stellar this year? wha?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:11 AM
jiggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
I get to watch the guy on FSW pretty regularly - and this review matches what I see of him most nights - I am still waiting to be impressed.........

So who exactly is at the top of your list? I believe I was one of the first here to suggest Visnovsky, and I still stand by it. He's exactly what we need as a replacement to Bergeron, who shouldn't be in the top 6 on a playoff team. He's better offensively, better defensively, will put up more points, cause less goals against, etc...

I'm just hoping this "list", isn't the same one Hemsky sits at the bottom of.

jiggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I'm really not big on picking up either Visnovsky or as some have suggested, Souray.

What the Oilers really need on D is a rock who has a first good pass and can eat up minutes. Someone like Ohlund (not suggesting we would or even could deal for him)

Yeah the Oilers could use a 3-4 guy who can QB the PP and play a reasonable amount of minutes, but he isn't the priority.

Neither Visnovsky or Souray are capable of being a rock in thier own zone. Heck Souray is having a career year on a great team and is still a minus player.

If we picked up one of the above players we would most certainly overpay for them and it wouldn't solve our problems in our own zone (except perhaps better breakout passes in Visnovsky's case.

01-09-2007, 04:08 PM
kashirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
because our play in our defensive end has been stellar this year? wha?
Sorry, I should have said that it fits perfectly into what K. Lowe said he was looking to pick up He may be thinking that if we could just get that one extra goal on the power play every other game, that may be enough to make the difference between a win and a loss.

Is it enough for this team to pick up someone that would primarly help us on the power play? I dunno.

kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
Sorry, I should have said that it fits perfectly into what K. Lowe said he was looking to pick up He may be thinking that if we could just get that one extra goal on the power play every other game, that may be enough to make the difference between a win and a loss.

Is it enough for this team to pick up someone that would primarly help us on the power play? I dunno.
Generally speaking, a d-man who will help on the PP has the basic characteristics of a guy who can also break the puck out of his own end ie. good passing ability, vision, speed, and hockey sense. Although the PP part is a bonus, a good PP d-man is generally good at moving the puck - which is what the Oilers are in dire need of. Jason Smith, Matt Greene, and Jan Hejda all look like d-men, who with a mobile puckmover, could succeed. If they worry about banging bodies and clearly the front of the net/blocking shots they will be successful in their roles. If they can play with another person (as Spacek and Pronger were examples last year with Smith and Staios) the lesser skill guys can just dump the puck around the wall to the skill guy ie. Vsinovksy who can make a play. Right now players like Greene and Gator are responsible - or at least trying to be, for moving the puck and this is the problem. Good PP d-man = good puck mover with vision. New guy playing With Smith or others will likely be an upgrade in what the Oilers are looking for in the defensive zone.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I'm really not big on picking up either Visnovsky or as some have suggested, Souray.

What the Oilers really need on D is a rock who has a first good pass and can eat up minutes. Someone like Ohlund (not suggesting we would or even could deal for him)
Mattias Ohlund, VAN D 43GP 8G 14A 22P -1 54PIM 24:43
L. Visnovsky, LA D 42GP 13G 23A 36P -2 12PIM 24:12

Visnovsky has more goals, assists, points, a very similar +/- on a much worse team, takes fewer penalties, and plays just as much as Ohlund does.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

yeah.... i'm pretty sure that he is just havng a tough night.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
1. I DIDN'T say he's WORSE that Smith, Staois or Smid. Let's talk objectively. You seem like a guy who knows how to read. Quote me where i literally said he was WORSE than those three players. I didn't....
ezrafitch - I couldn't help but notice the irony in that statement. The core feature of a good reader is going beyond what is "literally said" and making inferences It seems most people here made the same one.

Quote:
You're stating a statistic. Statistics don't tell the whole story. If it did, Andy Delmore would be in the NHL Hall of Fame. You're assuming that Visnovsky is going to come on the Oilers and still be on pace to be one of the league leader in goals. It doesn't work that way. He could be traded here and never score a goal. If MAB can struggle to get goals, so can Visnovsky.
So we're supposed to disregard statistics and start making decisions on one period of analysis? Does that provide a full picture? If you know everything to know, then state it. 2nd in the league in goals says something; we also need a boost in offence.

Quote:
I'm talking about my observations solely on tonight. But I've been watching the National hockey league for many years. I know Lubomir Visnovsky. Don't respond to my posts like that and insult me like you know more than i do.
Perhaps you should practice what you preach.

A valid point was made. You state having all of this knowledge and even knowing the guy, yet everything you cite is from one period; even after questioning the validity of one period, you've yet to offer any more than that one period of analysis. Do you really know that much more than everyone else? Are we idiots for questioning the significance of one period of analysis or your status as a hockey guru?

Just a guess.. I might be wrong.. but I'm assuming everyone here has a few years of following the NHL under their belt

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post
ezra, ... Am I an idiot for questioning the significance of one period of analysis or your status as a hockey guru?

Just a guess(you're so clever)... I might be wrong (you are).. but I'm assuming everyone here has a few years of following the NHL under their belt
Read the whole thread next time. You sound completely ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post

Yeah the Oilers could use a 3-4 guy who can QB the PP and play a reasonable amount of minutes, but he isn't the priority.

Neither Visnovsky or Souray are capable of being a rock in thier own zone. Heck Souray is having a career year on a great team and is still a minus player.

If we picked up one of the above players we would most certainly overpay for them and it wouldn't solve our problems in our own zone (except perhaps better breakout passes in Visnovsky's case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'm with ezrafitch on this one. Lubo's got skill, I'll admit it, but I've SEEN many Kings games this season. This guy in no way or form is close to Rafalski/Souray in terms of skill and value. He doesn't make glaring giveaways like Bergeron, but the man's coverage is weak, and his play along the boards is terrible. I honestly think that Visnovsky doesn't warrant much in terms of players going the other way. Souray, Rafalski, Zidlicky, are all much more valuable assets than he is.
I am basing my observations on that one game, but i know who Lubomir Visnovsky is. He's not the defenseman the Oilers are after. If I was completely off base, no one would agree with me. Please enlighten the whole world on why your opinion is correct and the differing opinions should be disregarded?

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Let me get this straight... I call you on not providing evidence and ask you to provide the wealth of knowledge you claim to have, and I'm ignorant?

YOU haven't provided evidence for YOUR argument. Since when was the onus reversed? As for quoting others "I'm mixed", "still waiting to be impressed" - that really counts for a sound argument. Rory Fitzpatrick had over a half a million votes for an all-star game, does that mean anything? Perhaps you missed the point... I was asking more analysis or evidence for since you claim to know so much. Give the evidence you claim to have. All I was stating. This is my 2nd time asking you to put your money where your mouth is. I wonder which insult you're going to toss this time... look it up first though.

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
namflashback

Well, if teams do well by a player being "great value" for the contract, Visnovsky is one of those great values. His contract is superb, for another 1.5 years.

Regardless of whether or not you like the player, he is the type of player the Oilers are looking for if they want a PP defenceman. Trouble is, for all the reasons that he would be a great pickup, I don't know why LA would deal him. He doesn't cost them much, is not a near UFA, so they get far better value out of keeping him. Their forward depth is pretty decent and can score, they have lots of steady in their D such as Norstrom, Blake. Unless they have a ton of D prospect bubbling up, Visnovsky is still a great value for them to keep.

Goaltending will always be their question mark. That's what they need -- but are hampered by the Cloutier deal.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Grizzly Adams

I'm not going to provide citations for this claim, other than I'm a San Jose fan and I see quite a few Kings games, but Vishnovsky is a good defensemen.

Grizzly Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
Mattias Ohlund, VAN D 43GP 8G 14A 22P -1 54PIM 24:43
L. Visnovsky, LA D 42GP 13G 23A 36P -2 12PIM 24:12

Visnovsky has more goals, assists, points, a very similar +/- on a much worse team, takes fewer penalties, and plays just as much as Ohlund does.
You can't judge veteran players on a half-season sample. Visnovsky has had a good season, and Ohlund struggled along with most of his team for the first third of the season. I think you would be challenged to find anyone who would rate Lubomir at or above Mattias as an NHL defenceman. When you factor in just pure defensive ability and composure in thier own zone... there's no comparison.

Now I'm not slagging Visnovsky... he is a very good defenceman, and someone I would like to have on the Oilers. Problem is, with his pricetag, we would have to give up too much and end up not getting that solid defensive defenceman we really need.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
R-MAN83

Visnovsky would definately be an upgrade but I don't know if he would be worth trading for because the price will be high with him under contract for one more year. I personally hope they go for rentals and it just costs picks and/or prospects. Does anyone know if Timonen is UFA next year and if he might be available?

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-MAN83 View Post
Visnovsky would definately be an upgrade but I don't know if he would be worth trading for because the price will be high with him under contract for one more year. I personally hope they go for rentals and it just costs picks and/or prospects. Does anyone know if Timonen is UFA next year and if he might be available?
Timonen is a figurehead on one of the NHL's best teams - there is no way he would be available. 31 points - to me any though of him would be wishful thinking at best.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote