HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luke Schenn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  #351
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe
 
jabba2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Get Luke to lose 10-15 lbs and see what you got then.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:40 PM
  #352
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Get Luke to lose 10-15 lbs and see what you got then.
A dman with limited skill...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 07:20 PM
  #353
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman80 View Post
EVERY time when JVR scores this deal comes to mind.
Awful deal.
Guy has no upside apart from being 5-6 dman for next 10 years,those guys grow in trees.
He had upside of Stevens wayback but maybe he was rushed too quick to the Show.
Now he is on downcline,not same player anymore.

Homer should look himself in mirror everyday and remember this deal.
From the second the deal was made (actually, way before the deal was made), it was clear that JVR had higher upside than L. Schenn.

I wouldn't say Schenn is a 5-6 d-man. Better than that. Just not worth trading JVR for. Didn't like the deal when it was made, still don't like it.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:38 PM
  #354
Richard F Schiller
Grandmaster User
 
Richard F Schiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 50
Hey, Anaheim is suffering with injuries and we need a defensive d-man. How about:

To Anaheim:

Luke Schenn

To Philadelphia:

Sami Vatanen

Richard F Schiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 10:09 AM
  #355
Jackson14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Leafs fan here checking in on Luke Schenn. I still remember the day we drafted him, he was projected to be a cornerstone of our rebuild. Obviously that didn't work out. I haven't watched many philly games this year but from the comments I'm seeing it seems like he hasn't progressed at all from when he was a Leaf. In fact it seems you guys are having the exact same conversation as Leafs fans did about him. Granted he was rushed into the league so is still a young guy with time to develop. JVR has obviously been a nice pickup for us scoring 32 goals in the 80 games hes played but perhaps he needed the change of scenery.

Jackson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:32 AM
  #356
GiggityGiggityGoo
Registered User
 
GiggityGiggityGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 203
vCash: 516
Get off my lawn

GiggityGiggityGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
  #357
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson14 View Post
Leafs fan here checking in on Luke Schenn. I still remember the day we drafted him, he was projected to be a cornerstone of our rebuild. Obviously that didn't work out. I haven't watched many philly games this year but from the comments I'm seeing it seems like he hasn't progressed at all from when he was a Leaf. In fact it seems you guys are having the exact same conversation as Leafs fans did about him. Granted he was rushed into the league so is still a young guy with time to develop. JVR has obviously been a nice pickup for us scoring 32 goals in the 80 games hes played but perhaps he needed the change of scenery.
There are plenty of trades that look lopsided because a player needed a change. You guys have had a few.

Like you said like is still young. I think he will be a late bloomer, as in a year or two. Not that he will be top pair. But effective. In the playoffs that may be worth as much as a JVR

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 12:43 PM
  #358
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I have been saying this all along. nobody is going to trade their top pairing defenseman. especially a guy who can run the PP. Stop with the stupid proposals and be patient with our young guys. The Flyers finally have a nice young group of defenseman in the system. let them develop and see what we have.
And when they do get here dont start throwing out the B word after 25 games if things dont go well right away when they do get to the big club.
I wouldnt mind them looking at Gardiner or Kulikov in the offseason if thats the direction they decided to go in. With Mez on his way out and with Timonens status beyond this season being up in the air it would be fine to look at a player like Kulikov. If the price is right of course.
I would be fine with trying to develop a #1 defenseman, if I had any faith that the Flyers had any track record of success.
But, they have been abysmal in developing offensive defenseman, and I see no reason to expect that to change.
Give this reality our only option is to gut this team for a young established #1 defenseman if you want to increase your odds of success.
If you want to fill the team with young defenseman and take your chances, I am ok with following that route as well.
We need to make the defense younger and more mobile to compete realistically for the CUP.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:18 PM
  #359
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
There are plenty of trades that look lopsided because a player needed a change. You guys have had a few.

Like you said like is still young. I think he will be a late bloomer, as in a year or two. Not that he will be top pair. But effective. In the playoffs that may be worth as much as a JVR
I think we are seeing what Luke Schenn is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:42 PM
  #360
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I think we are seeing what Luke Schenn is. Nothing more, nothing less.
What was last year then?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  #361
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
What was last year then?
An aberration. I want him to prove me wrong but I don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong, but no one really knows until Luke proves otherwise.

As many people have said I see Grossmann in Schenn and that's really it.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 03:58 PM
  #362
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
An aberration. I want him to prove me wrong but I don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong, but no one really knows until Luke proves otherwise.

As many people have said I see Grossmann in Schenn and that's really it.
As I believed at the time of the trade, another defensive defenseman was not a need.
The Flyers needed a PMD, what they got was another slower skating Coburn.
They projected him as an offensive defenseman like they did with Coburn and got burned again.
Instead of trading for a real offensive defenseman, they thought they could make Luke into an offensive defenseman.
Stupid!!! Holmgren strikes again, he is worst GM in hockey.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
  #363
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
As I believed at the time of the trade, another defensive defenseman was not a need.
The Flyers needed a PMD, what they got was another slower skating Coburn.
They projected him as an offensive defenseman like they did with Coburn and got burned again.
Instead of trading for a real offensive defenseman, they thought they could make Luke into an offensive defenseman.
Stupid!!! Holmgren strikes again, he is worst GM in hockey.
Burned again? I hope you aren't referring to the Coburn trade.

Homer is far from the leagues worst GM. Apparently you don't follow the NHL very closely.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 05:12 PM
  #364
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
An aberration. I want him to prove me wrong but I don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong, but no one really knows until Luke proves otherwise.

As many people have said I see Grossmann in Schenn and that's really it.
It would be an aberration if he never had a good season before last season, which he did in TO. He was on an off in TO, kinda like he's been here. Though he's had more goo games then bad in orange n black.

I think the Grossmann comparison is a decent one except Schenn has displayed similar offense to Coburn, in other words better then Grossmann offensively. The numbers are there to prove that.

Honestly I don't think that's a bad player to have for the next 8 yrs or so considering his age.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 05:19 PM
  #365
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh perspective View Post
Luke looked like he did last year today. It's amazing how much better he plays without Meszaros.
It can't be understated how bad Mez is.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
  #366
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It can't be understated how bad Mez is.
But...spin-o-rama...

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:09 PM
  #367
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It can't be understated how bad Mez is.
it doesnt matter how ****** we all know he is. he will be back in as soon as Gus makes that critical mistake.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
  #368
jeff leonard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: australia
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
He wasn't that great last year. He looked okay on a bad squad and overperformed a little, but even his overperformance is not that impressive. He's a bad hockey player, Idunno what to say. Watched him on Toronto for years. His best is a solid second pairing guy, his average is "passable NHLer" and his worst is "i'm Luke Schenn and i'm going to cost your team two points tonight". It sucks that we traded JVR for him, but it happened and there has to be a way to salvage this because Luke Schenn is not a regular feature of a contending team's defense.

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:16 PM
  #369
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
He wasn't that great last year. He looked okay on a bad squad and overperformed a little, but even his overperformance is not that impressive. He's a bad hockey player, Idunno what to say. Watched him on Toronto for years. His best is a solid second pairing guy, his average is "passable NHLer" and his worst is "i'm Luke Schenn and i'm going to cost your team two points tonight". It sucks that we traded JVR for him, but it happened and there has to be a way to salvage this because Luke Schenn is not a regular feature of a contending team's defense.
No, he was legitimately good last year.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:25 PM
  #370
jeff leonard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: australia
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Respectfully disagreed! He hits a lot and eats up some minutes, but let's call last year what it was: a half season with Timonen. Looking alright next to Timonen over a half season where they still missed the playoffs isn't really what I'd call good. It's passable, which is what Schenn is, under the right circumstances, some of the time. A player like that is not a player I'd want on a team aiming for the cup.

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
  #371
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
Respectfully disagreed! He hits a lot and eats up some minutes, but let's call last year what it was: a half season with Timonen. Looking alright next to Timonen over a half season where they still missed the playoffs isn't really what I'd call good. It's passable, which is what Schenn is, under the right circumstances, some of the time. A player like that is not a player I'd want on a team aiming for the cup.
He played with Lauridsen towards the end & was the same player.

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that it was all Kimmo when Kimmo hasn't exactly been a world beater these last two years.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
  #372
jeff leonard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: australia
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
His performance was worse then. I mean it's going to drop because he was playing with the exact opposite of a grizzled awesome veteran, but his stats were not the same. And if you're going to bring up that Timonen's dropped as well, Timonen was playing with Gervais, and I don't think "better than Gervais" should be the benchmark we apply to a guy we gave up JVR for or be paying something like 3.5 mil a year for.

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 06:38 PM
  #373
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
His performance was worse then. I mean it's going to drop because he was playing with the exact opposite of a grizzled awesome veteran, but his stats were not the same. And if you're going to bring up that Timonen's dropped as well, Timonen was playing with Gervais, and I don't think "better than Gervais" should be the benchmark we apply to a guy we gave up JVR for or be paying something like 3.5 mil a year for.
I'm not talking about this year. I'm saying Schenn was good last year in his own right. You brought up that it was simply because of Kimmo & I pointed he looked the same when with Laurisden late in the year.

I don't know why you would look at Schenn's stats when he's not an offensive defensemen.

As for this year he's been average at best but as of late he's been good.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 07:43 PM
  #374
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He played with Lauridsen towards the end & was the same player.

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that it was all Kimmo when Kimmo hasn't exactly been a world beater these last two years.
He also played some significant time with Gus last yr. Saying Schenn was the result of Kimmo simply isn't true. Kimmo was on fire offensively last yr but his defense wasn't so amazing as to cover for lapses made by a "fringe NHLer".

People need to pull the stick out when it comes to Luke and look at him objectively, not tainted by JVR's success in TO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not talking about this year. I'm saying Schenn was good last year in his own right. You brought up that it was simply because of Kimmo & I pointed he looked the same when with Laurisden late in the year.

I don't know why you would look at Schenn's stats when he's not an offensive defensemen.

As for this year he's been average at best but as of late he's been good.
Agreed, Schenn has been good more then he's been bad as a Flyer but fans still want to run him out of town cause JVR is doing well.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 07:59 PM
  #375
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,029
vCash: 500
We all know Schenn needs a good skating d-man beside him. Last year, Kimmo was that guy. This year, when paired with Gus, he has looked good. With Streit or Mez...not so good.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.