HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Finally got the first win last night, 8-3 against the other bad team in the division. They had some good players up front but a weak defense.

Had a strong game but couldn't bury anything. Well I tipped a puck in on my second shift and had an assist two shifts later, but I think I had at least 15 shot attempts, four of them missed the net, two hit shins in front, one hit a pipe, and the rest of them the goalie made great saves. One timer five hole, goalie barely got a pad on it. Walk in and take a screened snapper, gets stuck in goalie's gear. Beat the goalie, hit the pipe. Quick shot through a screen, goalie gloves it. Ugh.

I think my line had 8 points combined though. So that's pretty sweet. And we were constantly pressuring the other team, moving our feet, drawing penalties.

Felt good to have a strong game, but it's going to be tough again facing the regular teams. Although we kept it to one goal losses the previous two

Up to 3g 4a in 6gp so far. On the leaderboard for points and assists in our division, but not goals which is a first (well, getting points from assists and not goals)

Old
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

On Saturday I was +1 with 2 blocks in an 8-3 loss. I would've been a +3, but near the end of the game our goalie kept trying to Roy his way through the other team . We only had four defencemen that game, so I got tons of ice time, but I was absolutely exhausted by the end of the game. My outlet passes were going nicely that game, and I was involved in several odd man rushes, none of which translated into goals. Somehow I did get two breakaways, but I couldn't convert on either, lol. I was also pretty good defensively, but I did have a few lapses, mainly due to me being extremely tired. I need to work on my athleticism, mainly my endurance. Gonna start hitting the gym again once Christmas break and finals come around (only have one this semester!).

Last edited by Mikey 48: 12-09-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
12-09-2013, 06:45 PM
LaterDaze
Rookie User

Went skating for the first time in (literally) 11 years. Had a double torn ligament in my ankle as a kid and my parents pulled me from hockey. Hoping to be ready for beer league next winter.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Ozz

Playoff semi-finals for one of my lower-tier teams. 7-0 blowout and I had 2g2a. Both goals came within 20 seconds of each other, the second being interesting: raced the Dman to the puck, wide, backhanded it on net just to get it in front. Picked up my own rebound, brought it behind the net as I was moving, then plinked it off the back of the goalie's head for the goal

Old
12-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Had to toss someone from a game tonight.

Called a game misconduct a few weeks ago to, and Saturday night when I was the linesman I reported a third man in game misconduct to the referee.

Careful if I'm ever your ref.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:41 PM
TLow97

Got the W over the weekend, 4-1. 5 or 6 guys from my team played for the other team last year. Feels like we're rolling a bit, playing teams semi-close for the most part.

Felt like I played okay-to-well defensively, and I wasn't on the ice for the goal against. The other team matched us with speed and I (not the fleetest of foot) was able to break up a couple plays on the rush into our zone. My D-partner saved my behind a couple times.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
That Bear

Had the 1st skate on the backyard rink of the year.

Old
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
Picked up 2 Assists in a 9-8 win this weekend. For the first time I felt like I was way stronger on the puck, winning almost every single battle along the boards. Never got a real good scoring chance that game. Team's now riding a 3 game win streak. I've got 11pts in 5 games.

Old
12-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Tonight I managed to escape the scoresheet in our first win of the season, an 11-2 blowout. Puck control was absolutely terrible tonight. Trying to work on it every day, but it doesn't seem to be translating from off-ice to on-ice. I'll keep at it.

Old
12-14-2013, 01:34 AM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

Played my first ice hockey of the year with a couple buddies from work. Man, it's great to just get out there, throw some terrible saucer passes, make some weak dangles and just have fun.

Old
12-14-2013, 02:08 AM
durrrr

Took a high stick right in the mush from some idiot who's idea of a stick lift is a violent swinging motion. Of course if he misses the stick it's gonna get my face. I'm a bit sour because I've been waiting in emergency for 3 hours to get stitches. On top of that I write a final exam in the morning. Just hope I get out of the hospital in time

Old
12-14-2013, 02:37 AM
AntsSheffield

end my second week of no skating at all due to a chest infection. Sucks. Feel I need to get back soon before I lose too much. On the bright side the rest has probably been a good thing as I was skating 4 times a week and working myself pretty hard before getting ill

Old
12-14-2013, 07:57 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

I play High School hockey and had a game last night against the best team in the league (they had 4 Triple AAA guys, few AA, and a ton of Junior B guys, so they're pretty good). Anyways, the game starts off slow, with them scoring two quick goals. Then, the game starts to get extremely physical and one of their guys crosschecks our guy head first into the boards; all chaos broke after that lol. Never been in that kind of physical/dirty game like that. We tied up the game in the first period, but because of penalties they capitalized on a lot of their chances in the 2nd/3rd period.

We lost 7-2, had an assist, three SOG, one block, two hits, and 2 PIM. Either way, it was a lot closer of a game than the game protrayedl

Old
12-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Started attempting to lay out my back yard rink. This'll be fun.

Old
12-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I play High School hockey and had a game last night against the best team in the league (they had 4 Triple AAA guys, few AA, and a ton of Junior B guys, so they're pretty good). Anyways, the game starts off slow, with them scoring two quick goals. Then, the game starts to get extremely physical and one of their guys crosschecks our guy head first into the boards; all chaos broke after that lol. Never been in that kind of physical/dirty game like that. We tied up the game in the first period, but because of penalties they capitalized on a lot of their chances in the 2nd/3rd period.

We lost 7-2, had an assist, three SOG, one block, two hits, and 2 PIM. Either way, it was a lot closer of a game than the game protrayedl
Your high school hockey league allows Junior players? Where I went to high school even if you played Junior C you couldn't play high school hockey.

Old
12-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Played puck from 5-17... didn't play again till I was 28 but just pick up.

2 years passsed and now I am on a team again with refs and such... I can't tell you how awesome/fun it has been.

The playing is great but having a solid group of guys like we do goes a long way... most everyone knew eachother (team been together for a bit before I joined) but I was a new comer and welcomed right in... most fun I have had in so long.

Love this sport and the bonds it builds.

Old
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Your high school hockey league allows Junior players? Where I went to high school even if you played Junior C you couldn't play high school hockey.
Yeah, they allow it. I don't mind it as it gives us more of a competitive feel to the game. Those AAA/AA guys are good!

Old
12-14-2013, 10:05 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

Had a pretty good game on Friday, picking up 1 goal and 3 assists. We won 14-9. Probably scored one of the nicest goals of my life, a spinorama at the blueline then beat a defender and then buried it backhand. Season is looking good, team is 5-1.

Old
12-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Got to the rink and realized my two piece Total One wasn't in the bed of my truck... somehow, it fell out on the drive and I wasn't able to find it.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 12-15-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old
12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Ozz

Awesome day today, despite a 2nd round playoff loss against the 2-seed. This was my low division team, so I'm the go-to guy for almost everything.

First game: 6 goals, 2 assists in a 12-8 win. FOUR of the goals came while on the PK, and 3 of those + 1 assist were on the same shift in under 2 minutes total. I went beast mode there. Our usual goalie is out for playoffs and our replacement blows. D isn't too great either, but we made it work.

Second game: 2 goals (again, both short-handed for some reason) and 1 assist. Lost 9-5, though it was 4-4 until the 3rd. Total collapse in net and the D didn't help. Every shot started to go in. If we had our normal goalie we would have won that handily.

At least tomorrow my talented lower division team plays their finals. On Tuesday my top division team plays semis and hopefully make it to the finals. Mostly because the semifinals game is against the team with whom we have the most ugly animosity. It'll be a tough night either way.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:37 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

For the first time in 3 tries, we won our D1 championship. Lost the last two visits and the last championship for league we won was when we were D2. Came against easily our biggest rival and it was quite the game. We were down 0-2 early, then down 1-3 and 2-4. It was tied 4-4 going into the third and we had a lead with about 3 minutes left. I had the first goal, but also took a penalty (phantom interference when the puck was in my skates) that had them tie it on the PP late. Our older player absolutely undresses their defenseman to go up 6-5 with about 1:30 left. Another player has quite the mark on his collarbone from going down to block a sure goal with about a minute left. We iced it with :17 left going for an empty netter and eventually closed it out.

I was especially stoked because it was my first league goal in about 7 or 8 games. I've just been snake-bitten and created a handful of chances for myself. Could have walked out with 2 or 3 goals. In the end we had 6 different goal scorers and both teams were moving it around well. Not a sloppy game by any means.

It got nasty towards the end with one really bad intent to injure the ref missed followed by a blatant elbow to the head a player of theirs threw after the whistle. It was on our smallest guy and he just lost it and won that fight handedly.

Even sweeter because it looks like we will be changing rinks, so losing a championship game and switching leagues would have looked pretty bad.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Our team played well again. Seems like we are finding our feet a little. Breakouts and passing are better. Helps that we upgraded a couple of D-men, which makes all the difference in the world. We out-shot them 34-31 and were up 3-2 in the third and then goalie gave up a couple bad goals. Sucks because he's a new goalie and a nice guy, but it's deflating.

Had another goal where we battled along the boards and corners for a shift and then got the puck in the corner, I skated around a few guys to cut to the middle and shot through a screen top shelf. Had two other really nice shots that the goalie just got a piece of.

Team is 1-5-1 and I've got 4g 4a, which is not bad.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Got to the rink and realized my two piece Total One wasn't in the bed of my truck... somehow, it fell out on the drive and I wasn't able to find it.
Happened with my goalie stick. Was on the side of the 33... I found it though.

Old
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Have a game at 8PM today against one of the best teams in the league. I'm feeling good about this one, everyone on our team is heating up after an extremely slow start, I'm confident!

Old
12-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
At least tomorrow my talented lower division team plays their finals.
5-2 win. I had 4 of ours including yet another shorty (7 in 3 games - holy ****) and an empty netter with .1 on the clock, shot from within our own circle after stripping it off one of their forwards. We were missing 2 guys but that's always good for me!

Closed Thread