HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else noticing these things?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  #1
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Anyone else noticing these things?

Three things I have begun to notice about the Rangers as of late:

1. This one thing has been going on for a long time now, maybe even the entire season. Straka or Nylander will get the puck in our own end, go up the middle with it, and try to deke out almost the entire opposing force (usually 3-4 players) in hopes of converging on the net. The stickhandling fails 9 out of 10 times and results in a turnover. This happens AT LEAST 5 times per game.

2. Those long 2+ line passes that the D makes near our blue line that always get gobbled up in the neutral zone. D is making alot of these lately.

3. Upsession with passing exhibitions in front of our own net. Last night when the Rangers were trying to make a comeback in the 3rd after being down 5-3, the Isles dumped the puck into the Rangers zone for a line change. Then before the Rangers could take the puck up, every Blueshirt on the ice had to touch it and present an exhibition of puck cycling in which Henrik had a front-row seat. All while this was happening, not a SINGLE Islander pressured for the puck in hopes of a turnover. It was like the Rangers were scared to take the puck up ice. Ive seen this behavior in a few other games as well, but I cant remember them off the top of my head.

Im not saying this because of the loss last night, but the more and more I watch the team this season I cant help but notice the signs of the playing style reminscent of the pre-lockout years. Every goal has to be a fancy highlight reel display, every pass has to be fancy, they never usually turn it on for a comeback until the last 5 minutes, etc.

What do you guys think?

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
  #2
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Mostly everything you pointed out is how adaptive European hockey is played in the NHL.

Its not a surprise a majority of the players on the Rangers (getting the most ice time) are from that side of the world.
Theres a lot more to it than just that, but that sure is one reason why.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
  #3
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Three things I have begun to notice about the Rangers as of late:

1. This one thing has been going on for a long time now, maybe even the entire season. Straka or Nylander will get the puck in our own end, go up the middle with it, and try to deke out almost the entire opposing force (usually 3-4 players) in hopes of converging on the net. The stickhandling fails 9 out of 10 times and results in a turnover. This happens AT LEAST 5 times per game.


2. Those long 2+ line passes that the D makes near our blue line that always get gobbled up in the neutral zone. D is making alot of these lately.

3. Upsession with passing exhibitions in front of our own net. Last night when the Rangers were trying to make a comeback in the 3rd after being down 5-3, the Isles dumped the puck into the Rangers zone for a line change. Then before the Rangers could take the puck up, every Blueshirt on the ice had to touch it and present an exhibition of puck cycling in which Henrik had a front-row seat. All while this was happening, not a SINGLE Islander pressured for the puck in hopes of a turnover. It was like the Rangers were scared to take the puck up ice. Ive seen this behavior in a few other games as well, but I cant remember them off the top of my head.

Im not saying this because of the loss last night, but the more and more I watch the team this season I cant help but notice the signs of the playing style reminscent of the pre-lockout years. Every goal has to be a fancy highlight reel display, every pass has to be fancy, they never usually turn it on for a comeback until the last 5 minutes, etc.

What do you guys think?

I agree with all of them, but the first point you made is the one that bothers me the most. Last nights game especially they kept trying to skate the puck in instead of dumping and chasing. Over this past winning streak however they have been dumping and then chasing on pretty much every shift, but for some reason they(#1 line especialy) decided last night that circling in the neutral zone will get more done than getting it in deep and working it to the net. Its really annoying, especially when they get stopped and the puck gets knocked away, only for them to gather it again and attempt the same freaking play! Its definitly becoming an annoying trend.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
  #4
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I agree with all of them, but the first point you made is the one that bothers me the most. Last nights game especially they kept trying to skate the puck in instead of dumping and chasing. Over this past winning streak however they have been dumping and then chasing on pretty much every shift, but for some reason they(#1 line especialy) decided last night that circling in the neutral zone will get more done than getting it in deep and working it to the net. Its really annoying, especially when they get stopped and the puck gets knocked away, only for them to gather it again and attempt the same freaking play! Its definitly becoming an annoying trend.
I know. Jagr last night deked 2 guys out, which was the 1 time out of 10 that that stuff actually works. But every time I see Straka and Nylander coming up the middle I think " he we go again ".

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
  #5
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Basically you're saying the Rangers don't dump and chase, and I don't think thats new or a surprise to anyone.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
  #6
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Mostly everything you pointed out is how adaptive European hockey is played in the NHL.

Its not a surprise a majority of the players on the Rangers (getting the most ice time) are from that side of the world.
Theres a lot more to it than just that, but that sure is one reason why.
Which is why I can't wait for Slats's Euro era to come to an end.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
  #7
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Its also about the entire team being on the same page.

The third and fourth lines (even the 2nd at times) get the puck deep for the most part if they dont have anything.

When the Rangers were winning in both the 4 and 5 games streaks, even the Jagr line was dumping it in, which was amazing - even Micheletti pointed it out.

When they are losing Jagrs line always tries to do too much, like skating the puck through everyone and making the passing exhibitions you are talking about.. the defense (usually Roszival and Malik paired with them) tries the long and risky passes instead of the smart play off the boards or over to their partner to regroup.

INSIDE the zone its fine, as you can see when Nylander and Straka do the magic that leads to goals (unless of course they give it away or make a silly back pass). But thats after they convert it into the zone.

So basically half the team is doing one thing when the other half is doing another. I say HALF because Jagrs line +defense is basically is out there the majority of time 5on5 or on the PP.

This is why teams like the Devils are so successful. Every line commits to the "system" whatever that may be and if its played correctly by EVERYONE on the team, if the plan is correct, the results are seen in the win column.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
  #8
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Renney allows the Euro free-wheeling, otherwise we would see a totally different first line.

Problem is, he is stuck there because of the lack of the true #1/#2 center AND correct defense pairing.

Sure the Jagr line is talented, nice to watch.

Imagine if it had Pronger and Blake behind it. Or Niedermeyer - even Leetch in his prime. Totally different feel - World class north american rushers, hitters and shooters. It would break up the dipsy-doodling of a line like that by playing more north south, directly out of the defensive zone.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
  #9
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
live by the sword...

die by the sword...if Nylander and Straka continue their scoring, then I can't complain about their fancy-dancy play because their overall play doesn't typically hurt the team (moreso Straka than Nylander, in my opinion, even though Nylander is a good deal more talented, Straka has a heck of a lot more heart).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
  #10
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
The top line is really the only line that plays that way. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that they rather carry the puck into the zone then dump it and have to physically outmuscle a defenseman to regain the possesion. Your starting to see other teams catch on to the fact that our top line refuses to dump the puck so they are lining everyone up at their blueline and not allowing us to carry the puck in. If Souray played on this team he'd have 30 goals already, because I don't see any other team that has two guys as strong on the puck as Nylander and Jagr on the same line, you simply can't get them off the puck in a one on one situation so it forces the opposing winger to come down and help leaving the point open. Souray could be blasting away all day long

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
  #11
McDonagh27
Registered User
 
McDonagh27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
die by the sword...if Nylander and Straka continue their scoring, then I can't complain about their fancy-dancy play because their overall play doesn't typically hurt the team (moreso Straka than Nylander, in my opinion, even though Nylander is a good deal more talented, Straka has a heck of a lot more heart).
Exactly... Believe me, the 1st line is the LAST of our problems... The 1st line has done everything it was expected to AND MORE so far this year.... You people make me think that nothing will ever satisfy you.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
  #12
RFAN
Registered User
 
RFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
If I had to guess...

I would say that before the game it was in most of our guys heads that Ricky P is good with the puck so don't dump and chase. if it was me I say make the goalie run around more because every so often he gets caught. Oh Well!

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
  #13
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
My pet peeve is how the Nylander line will gain the zone and drop pass it to the forward standing at the blue line along the boards. This happens almost every shift and especially on the PP. The opposing team knows its coming so they don't follow the former puck carrier, they stop and pressure the receiver and usually cause a turnover.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
  #14
crisb
Registered User
 
crisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
During our winning streak, Jagr and them were dumping the puck. Something that they haven't done in 2 years. They did it, and they got chances. A lot of the time, they will try and beat everyone, which won't work.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:53 PM
  #15
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Yep. Here's a few more...

Has Nylander ever thrown a hit in his career?

Every game we crash the other teams net at some point...but are immediately shoved away and pushed around. We are then reluctant to go back...with the exception of a few (Prucha-Shanny at the top of that list). However...come down to our end...TAKE ALL THE WHACKS AT HENRIK YOU WANT. Unbelievable...I've seen Rozey clear a guy out once...it was Hilbert in Long Island. A Ward and Kasper do it occasionally. Unreal.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
  #16
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Yep. Here's a few more...

Has Nylander ever thrown a hit in his career?

Every game we crash the other teams net at some point...but are immediately shoved away and pushed around. We are then reluctant to go back...with the exception of a few (Prucha-Shanny at the top of that list). However...come down to our end...TAKE ALL THE WHACKS AT HENRIK YOU WANT. Unbelievable...I've seen Rozey clear a guy out once...it was Hilbert in Long Island. A Ward and Kasper do it occasionally. Unreal.
Well, I'm more surprised that Nylander hasn't had more back problems in his career than he's experienced. In multiple occasions in taking off his jersey, he probably wears the LEAST amount of upper body protection that I've ever seen. Minimal shoulder caps and basically NOTHING on his back.

Now, oldtimers have always become accustom to what they've worn over the years and typically wear much less protection than the new kids entering the league, ie. Shanahan.

However, with the breakthrough in lightweight but very flexible/non-imposing equipment protection available, I find it more than disturbing to see a player w/ Nylander skate with nothing more than a jersey on his back.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
  #17
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Well, I'm more surprised that Nylander hasn't had more back problems in his career than he's experienced. In multiple occasions in taking off his jersey, he probably wears the LEAST amount of upper body protection that I've ever seen. Minimal shoulder caps and basically NOTHING on his back.

Now, oldtimers have always become accustom to what they've worn over the years and typically wear much less protection than the new kids entering the league, ie. Shanahan.

However, with the breakthrough in lightweight but very flexible/non-imposing equipment protection available, I find it more than disturbing to see a player w/ Nylander skate with nothing more than a jersey on his back.

I was amazed at how little protection he has, I guess when you have worn the same thing your whole career, you get a customed to certain things. Like Leetch for instance, if I remember correctly he wore the same 3 pairs of gloves his entire Ranger career. They just kept re-stiching them when they tore. Surprising because you would think that since they are pro they would have unlimited resources to gear, but

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
  #18
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Well, I'm more surprised that Nylander hasn't had more back problems in his career than he's experienced. In multiple occasions in taking off his jersey, he probably wears the LEAST amount of upper body protection that I've ever seen. Minimal shoulder caps and basically NOTHING on his back.
Quote:
Martin Straka joined Jaromir Jagr on the sidelines at practice today, nursing a sore back, while Jagr rested his sore hip flexo
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
  #19
dank
Registered User
 
dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
If Souray played on this team he'd have 30 goals already, because I don't see any other team that has two guys as strong on the puck as Nylander and Jagr on the same line, you simply can't get them off the puck in a one on one situation so it forces the opposing winger to come down and help leaving the point open. Souray could be blasting away all day long

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
  #20
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
The 1st line plays the euro style, and they are effective at it, most nights. When they get shut down, no other line is able to pick it up, and if the pp falters, there is no more secondary offense. The 2nd/3rd/and 4th while they do dump it in, don't chase it effectively, and if they do recover the puck, there is never anyone in position to accept a pass, (Shanny/Prucha/or Cullen, every now and then), to even get a shot off on net. This team is not built to do much more than support the 1st line, and even that, they don't do well. With the D playing poorly, lack of physical play, limited ability of the rest of the lines to do much of anything (forget offense),weak backchecking, failure by the D to try and clear the crease, and poor first passes, and you have a recipe for disaster.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:44 PM
  #21
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Renney allows the Euro free-wheeling...
You think he could convert Jagr, Nylander and Straka into dump and chase smash the defensemen into the board types? Not a coach living or dead could undo the way they were taught to play since they first put on skates.

And by the way, the style works just fine for them. The problem is that after that line and Shanny, no one has a shred of offensive ability (Prucha used to). Not much defensive ability either.

Last year my favorite player was Moore. I loved his all around game and while he's not a difference maker I have no doubt we'd be better of with him than that useless walking mummy named Hall. I much prefer Hossa to Hall.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
  #22
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
This team is not built to do much more than support the 1st line, and even that, they don't do well.
Well put

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.