HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense=Building Block.

Old
01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
TrampsLikeUs

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
the odds of our defensive corps efer consisting of 6 homegrown players is extreemly small. Not everyone makes it and players do get moved.

The hope is that 6 years from now our Defense is anchored by a core consisting of some combination of Staal, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Baranka, Tyutin, Pock. If we're lucky 4 of those guys will make it, 3 is probably more likely.
Very true. I think all of these guys are going to "make it" in terms of being an NHL player. They just won't be NHL players for us. We're going to have to move somebody for some scoring in a couple of years. We still don't have a can't miss offensive stud in our system.

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Chimp

After reading this thread, I suddenly realized something really positive. Our defense, from this point, can never get worse. Yes! I symbolically make a high five with myself. Unfortunately, my palm hit my forehead.

Yes, I am drunk, and very insightful. I know the meaning of life, but can unfortunately not tell you. I will also not remember it when I wake up tomorrow. I can tell you a clue: ice cream.

Hint: Malik is not the meaning of life, neither is he the meaning of defense. He is the meaning of making other defensemen feel good, adept, fast and skillful. Even he has a meaning. Unfortunately, his meaning costs $2.1 million. That's unfortunately meaningless.

The Swedish dictionary word of today to describe the Rangers defense is: Kattbajs.

Yes, I spell well even when I'm piss drunk. Misspelling is for people who can't spell. If you feel an urge for it, you can substitute the word "well" with "adequately". I didn't. Yes, I drank a bunch of alcohol on a wednesday. Yes, I wrote a post on hfboards before going to bed. Brats spray their insignia on a concrete wall or a house, dogs piss on a lightpost, I write a post on hfboards.

I will stop editing my post with stupid [insert something intelligent here] before [insert something funny here].

Remember: Kattbajs.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-10-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
After reading this thread, I suddenly realized something really positive. Our defense, from this point, can never get worse. Yes! I symbolically make a high five with myself. Unfortunately, my palm hit my forehead.

Yes, I am drunk, and very insightful. I know the meaning of life, but can unfortunately not tell you. I will also not remember it when I wake up tomorrow. I can tell you a clue: ice cream.

Hint: Malik is not the meaning of life, neither is he the meaning of defense. He is the meaning of making other defensemen feel good, adept, fast and skillful. Even he has a meaning. Unfortunately, his meaning costs $2.1 million. That's unfortunately meaningless.

The Swedish dictionary word of today to describe the Rangers defense is: Kattbajs.

Yes, I spell well even when I'm piss drunk. Misspelling is for people who can't spell. If you feel an urge for it, you can substitute the word "well" with "adequately". I didn't. Yes, I drank a bunch of alcohol on a wednesday. Yes, I wrote a post on hfboards before going to bed. Brats spray their insignia on a concrete wall or a house, dogs piss on a lightpost, I write a post on hfboards.

I will stop editing my post with stupid [insert something intelligent here] before [insert something funny here].

Remember: Kattbajs.
Chimp, you made my night. You are a funny mo fo.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree that it the odds are nearly 0 that our D would ever consist of 6 homegrowns...yet I think it likely that more than 3 of those 6 will "make it." After all, Tyutin and Pock already have (Pock to a lesser extent) and the other 4 are all going to be at least as good if not better than him. I guess the question is what is the definition of "making it." If a 6th Dman is, then all 6 have a great shot.
By making it I meen become a fixture on our defensive corps. A 6th defensemen is a journeymen, a replaceable part (now I don't meen that the 6th best defensemen on every team fits this description, I'm speaking of it as a taxonomy) so I would not consider that to be 'making it.' Pock has, in my opinion, yet to prove that he is even a 6th defensemen, so I would say he is far from having 'made it.'

Perhaps I'm being alittle too skeptical with my prediction of 3, but I always try to be conservative when it comes to prospects. Yet I can't see anymore than 4 of those 6 guys becoming fixture's on our blueline.

So far, I think it's fair to say that, unless he's moved, Tyutin is here to stay and will probably become the reliable 2 way #2/#3 defensemen that many think he will become, so we can count him in.

Staal is about as safe a prospect as there is. Exactly how high he rises is the big question, but I think it's fair to say that it's very likely he becomes a reliable fixture of the Ranger blueline for years to come.

after that it becomes murky.

Sauer, Baranka, and Sanguinetti are all very nice prospects, but they all have questions surounding them. What's Baranka's ceiling? Can Sauer make the jump up the next two levels and stay healthy while he does it? Will Bobby be able to handle his own end at the higher levels?

Pock, for the record, has played better this year than I thought he would, so I must credit him for that. But he still hasn't logged nearly enough minutes to prove to me that his defensive game won't be exposed at the top level.

They may all make it, but you have to observe the odds. The list of nice, good and even great prospects that didn't make it for whatever reason is exceedingly long. Because of this I have to take the law of averages into acount when projecting prospects. The best thing that the organization has going for it is that they've got alot bullets in the gun and a few of them will probably hit.

The downside is that there probably isn't a premier defensemen in the bunch. I know we like to dream about Staal, but he's probably doesn't have the offensive skills to be a true number 1. Maybe we get extreemly lucky and he turns into the second coming of Larry Robinson (I'm not making this comparison by the way, I wasn't alive durring all but the end of Big Bird's career and my knowledge of his game comes to me from the mouths and pens of others) but the most we can probably hope for is Mattias Öhlund (who is a wonderful defensemen but not a true #1.)

Now it's no essential to have a franchise defensemen, pletny of good teams get by with Defense Corps with good defensemen who play well together (and I think that our stable of prospects could turn into that.) The problem is that those teams do tend to have Franchise fowards and we don't have any of those in the system either.

Last edited by xander: 01-11-2007 at 01:02 AM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote