HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Hollweg

View Poll Results: What should we do with Hollweg???
Send him down to AHL, call up Byers, Korpikoski, Moore 10 9.26%
Package him for a real 2ed line centre 1 0.93%
Put him in better offensive situation like 2ed Powerplay to replace Hall 11 10.19%
Keep him on the line that he is on 86 79.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
That's how I tend to view it, I'm not against replacing Hollweg so long as the replacement brings what he does and more.

I think there's a fine line between saying "I'd be willing to move a guy" and saying "He's not even an NHL player".

It's like how I view Ortmeyer. If we can get a guy who can do what he does and more, yeah I'd make the switch. But until that guy is around, there's little point.

I think without offense Hollweg will be fighting to stay in the NHL, but he's not completely usless either. If Dupont becomes an upgrade over Hollweg in time, so be it. If Callahan becomes an upgraded Ortmeyer, that's fine as well. Until that time they're here and they do bring value. Personally I'd be much more inclined to upgrade Hall, Ward and Hossa and put the upgrades with Hollweg/Ortmeyer.

I think if you could put a bit more scoring in there, guys like Hollweg/Ortmeyer would benefit and offer benefits to the line. On the flip side I don't think Hall, Ward, Hossa would compliment that setting as much.

So personally I'd like eventually move get players to improve who Hollweg and Ortmeyer play with rather than get those players to improve who Hall, Ward, or Hossa play with.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:58 PM
TomLaidlaw

It baffles me how anyone could not like Hollweg. Where does all this come from? Is it because he has 0 points? Who cares, if he scores an empty net goal will that get everyone off his back? The guy plays like his life depends on every single shift, he throws his body into anyone and when challenged he drops his mits, sure he isn't the best fighter but he isn't afraid of anyone and gets under the other teams skin, what more could we want from a 4th line grinder.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Nich

it is because ahall made the topic

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I 100% agree that Adam Hall is the player that we should be asking these kinds of questions about. He is not even close to the player he was advertised to be coming from Nashville. I didn't know much about him at the time, but I was excited when we traded Moore for him. Thought we were making a nice upgrade to our forwards, but at this point I'd reverse that trade in a heartbeat (not that Moore is a savior or anything, just better than Hall)
I thought he'd be his normal, physical self. Instead he can't throw a hard hit, can't score, and can't even have a fight. Need an enforcer

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Thank you, Edge. You basically summed up the truth of this thread in one post... the truth of our bottom 6 forwards and the motives of this thread.

Of course Hollweg is replaceable. As Edge said anyone is replaceable as long as you bring in something else that is needed and the package is of a greater or equal value. But Radek, your point is that Hollweg is useless and that simply isn't the case. I still think you are seeing what you want to see, not only in Hollweg but also in the other bottom 6 forwards. If a team came to me offering a 2nd line center I'd gladly give up anything on the bottom 2 lines. And as valuable as Hollweg is, even he won't fetch a 2nd line center. Hossa wouldn't, Ward wouldn't and Betts wouldn't.
Ok I never said useless. I said he is a very replacable player from what I see he brings. I mean hitting and skating are two of the most basic parts of this sport we watch and the guys who can't do that well better have good offensive stats to stay around. My problem with Hollweg is I think this is as good as he's ever gonna be. He has very little puck skills and just isn't in good position in the offensive zone to score. I would much rather see a younger guy on the bottom line getting some time and learning to do the basics of hockey which is all Hollweg does.

Edge states that Hollweg hits really hard and probably one of the hardest in the league. I don't see it with his size and unless he ever took a hit from him I don't think he's in an authority to go around making statements like that. If I were to take a stab at who is the hardest hitter I would say Gauthier, he hits guys and knocks the wind outa them, or worse sometimes. Oh and BTW tonight against the Islanders Hollweg wasn't even close to being the biggest or hardest hitter on the ice. If any game he should make a difference was in a game like tonight. All I remember of him that game was a stupid elbowing penalty he took and he missed a pretty good chance in front.

I guess I do like offensive guys more since my two favorite players are Kovalev and Prucha, but I do also love a player like Tucker and Shanny. Garth Murray was bashed pretty nice on this board but I don't see any differnce between him and Hollweg. Actually I think they are very much identical in playing style.

Last edited by Radek27: 01-10-2007 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Forgot somethin
Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ok I never said useless. I said he is a very replacable player from what I see he brings. I mean hitting and skating are two of the most basic parts of this sport we watch and the guys who can't do that well better have good offensive stats to stay around. My problem with Hollweg is I think this is as good as he's ever gonna be. He has very little puck skills and just isn't in good position in the offensive zone to score. I would much rather see a younger guy on the bottom line getting some time and learning to do the basics of hockey which is all Hollweg does.

Edge states that Hollweg hits really hard and probably one of the hardest in the league. I don't see it with his size and unless he ever took a hit from him I don't think he's in an authority to go around making statements like that. If I were to take a stab at who is the hardest hitter I would say Gauthier, he hits guys and knocks the wind outa them, or worse sometimes. Oh and BTW tonight against the Islanders Hollweg wasn't even close to being the biggest or hardest hitter on the ice. If any game he should make a difference was in a game like tonight. All I remember of him that game was a stupid elbowing penalty he took and he missed a pretty good chance in front.

I guess I do like offensive guys more since my two favorite players are Kovalev and Prucha, but I do also love a player like Tucker and Shanny. Garth Murray was bashed pretty nice on this board but I don't see any differnce between him and Hollweg. Actually I think they are very much identical in playing style.

You keep saying that he's replacable. But you have not mention who you'd replace him with.

01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Ok I never said useless. I said he is a very replacable player from what I see he brings.

Edge states that Hollweg hits really hard and probably one of the hardest in the league. I don't see it with his size and unless he ever took a hit from him I don't think he's in an authority to go around making statements like that. If I were to take a stab at who is the hardest hitter I would say Gauthier, he hits guys and knocks the wind outa them, or worse sometimes.
Quote:
This guy is the most useless player on the team.
Quote:
The intabgibles? He hits, thats it. He brings nothing else to this team, nothing.
Care to retract that statement?

Have you ever taken a hit from Gauthier? If not I do not believe that you are in an authority to go around making statements like that.

And for what it's worth, Gauthier only hits guys when they aren't looking and when they don't have the puck.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Edge

Quote:
You're right, what you did say was that he brings nothing to the team and is the most replaceable guy.

And if hitting and skating are two of the most basic parts of this sport, than the this team sure is missing two very key ingridients without Hollweg.

And while I would love to see more offense out of Hollweg (and haven't given up that) he is also a 4th line winger and does everything you want out of a 4th liner winger but score. And if a younger player, who is ideally a bottom 6 forward gets to the point he is ready to challange he will.But it doesn't make any sense throwing a guy like Dawes or anyone else out on the 4th line.

Quote:
Size in this case has nothing to do with how hard he hits. Mike Peca has consistently been one of the hardest hitters in the NHL for 10 years now and is probably about 5'11, 190 pounds. We're not talking about about a 5'11, 175 pound player here, we're talking about a guy who has a low center of gravity, can skate and checks in at 210 pounds. And I need to be an authority to recognize that Hollweg is one of the hardest hitters in the game. So based on that approach do I have to stand in net and play goal to realize Brendan Shanahan has one of the best shots in hockey or to understand that "that Jagr guy is pretty good with the puck".

You can see it out there just by watching a game. You can see it by the way guys look out for him, you can read it in the comments they've made about him, hell you can see it just by actually watching him hit someone.

So your example is the Islander game and that's the end all say all? Prucha didn't generate a goal in that game so does that mean he is just as replaceable? I mean cmon now.

Quote:
I like offensive guys as much as the next but we're talking about the 4th line. If we were talking about Hollweg as a top 6 player than that's another thing completely. Neither one can function without the other.

As for Murray I don't remember him being BASHED at all. People commented on his lack of offensive development and that he seemed to get injured a lot, but no one bashed him. There were a lot of the same questions that there were about Hollweg. The difference is that when we had Murray we also had Hollweg so we could move one of them. Now we don't have another option that is ready or that's beat out Hollweg so there's no move to be made.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Fletch

At the beginning of last season...

if you asked me who was better, Hollweg or Murray, I'd say Murray in a heartbeat. He played well in his short NHL stint, played hard every shift, hit hard, skated well, got shots on goal, showed skill and fought (and had decent size).

To be honest, I don't know what happened to that guy. He played hard, but obviously he hasn't since his NHL audition because he cannot stick in the NHL lineup. Hollweg, OTOH, plays hard every shift. He hits hard (not as hard as Murray can, but what good is a hard bodychecker if he doesn't play hard and actually throw bodychecks?). He's about 200 pounds and combined with the speed at which he hits demonstrates the whallop he can pack. I do believe, however, that Ortmeyer is a better bodychecker - Orts just knocks more people over with his checks, but Hollweg does is more frequently. I also see opponents getting the worse end of open ice checks with JOrt.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Edge

Always thought Ortmeyer was the better open ice hitter but I personally think Hollweg is better along the boards.

Having said that, I'd like to see a 4th line of Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer. I like what that line brings.

Long-term Hollweg and Ortmeyer will always be challanged because they don't have the scoring touch and they aren't the most talented guys in the world. But as long as they hit everything in sight they will stand a fighting chance and some team will want them. In a lot of ways they are the Kasparitis' of the Rangers forward. Everything is derived from checking/hitting. As that goes, so goes their game but until that happens they do have a place on a team and someone will have to beat them out for their job.

Sometimes I wonder what this team could if it didn't have money locked into guys like Kasparitis, Ozo and others.

Say they go out and get that second like center (say a Savard) you now have:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Savard-Prucha
Hall-Cullen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

I kind of like those lines and think that style mesh much better (in other words Savard creates enough plays for both Shanahan AND Prucha while Cullen brings needed speed to a line with Hall and Ward).

I just think it's a matter of maximizing assets and that's something this team hasn't done very well.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Always thought Ortmeyer was the better open ice hitter but I personally think Hollweg is better along the boards.

Having said that, I'd like to see a 4th line of Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer. I like what that line brings.

Long-term Hollweg and Ortmeyer will always be challanged because they don't have the scoring touch and they aren't the most talented guys in the world. But as long as they hit everything in sight they will stand a fighting chance and some team will want them. In a lot of ways they are the Kasparitis' of the Rangers forward. Everything is derived from checking/hitting. As that goes, so goes their game but until that happens they do have a place on a team and someone will have to beat them out for their job.

Sometimes I wonder what this team could if it didn't have money locked into guys like Kasparitis, Ozo and others.

Say they go out and get that second like center (say a Savard) you now have:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Savard-Prucha
Hall-Cullen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

I kind of like those lines and think that style mesh much better (in other words Savard creates enough plays for both Shanahan AND Prucha while Cullen brings needed speed to a line with Hall and Ward).

I just think it's a matter of maximizing assets and that's something this team hasn't done very well.
The only thing I would change is Hossa for Hall. I am not a big Hossa fan but I think he is better than Hall, at least he is strong on the puck.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
The only thing I would change is Hossa for Hall. I am not a big Hossa fan but I think he is better than Hall, at least he is strong on the puck.
To me the third line is still the weakest in that equation and you could try Ward, Hall, Hossa, etc. But I do think at the very least it would at least work.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Larry Melnyk

Orts vs Hollweg in the hitting deaprtment...Hmmm, I think despite the numbers, Hollweg has reigned it in this year and not hit as hard...last year, he hit people and he hurt them...big time..OTOH, ORTS was constantly flopping to the ice on every hit.,..Whether it was penalties or his or Renney's decision to be more in position, Hollweg hasn't hit as hard this year..

I think that changes IF Renney put Orts and Hollweg back together..Orts forechecking and hitting might funnel players more into the path of Hollweg..And visa versa..And I think pairing those two is a way of making this team more physical...

And I have no problem with an HBO as a 3rd line (for this year) that focuses on checking and forechecking..And I think, like last year, that's a type of line that can play well in the POS--as a 3rd line....

The problem of course, is the lack of scoring from the 2nd line where both PRUCHA and CULLEN have been atrocious

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Fletch

Great Edge..

you've depressed me. I wanted Savard this Summer and thought he was well-priced and right-aged for this team. A 29 year old signed for 5 years seemed like the right guy - transition Nylander our, transition Dubi or someone in. I had it all planned for Savvy.

Old
01-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you've depressed me. I wanted Savard this Summer and thought he was well-priced and right-aged for this team. A 29 year old signed for 5 years seemed like the right guy - transition Nylander our, transition Dubi or someone in. I had it all planned for Savvy.
Makes two of us, and I'm sure alot more.....As it stands, I think the only way that we land a 2nd C this year is by including Prucha in a deal....WHich, given the fact that his play has really dropped off and we have very simialr players in the minors and juniors, might not be a crazy idea depending on the return..

Old
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Fletch

That would be..

a knee-jerk reaction, however, and short-term in nature (unless you got full value for Prucha and got a young centerman). His play has tailed off with his role, including stints on the third and fourth lines and on the second PP, which has no playmaker. He hasn't adjusted well to the environment, but seems to be improving.

Old
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

BTW...nobody noted this...

amazing how one of the few guys who calls for more physicality makes a thread about sending down or removing Hollweg from the roster

Old
01-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a knee-jerk reaction, however, and short-term in nature (unless you got full value for Prucha and got a young centerman). His play has tailed off with his role, including stints on the third and fourth lines and on the second PP, which has no playmaker. He hasn't adjusted well to the environment, but seems to be improving.
Whether or not it would be knee-jerk would be dependent on the return..Persoanlly, I think Prucha has sucked this year and has nobody to blame but himself...The offense is missing (but that's a line thing) but even more his defensive game, mental game and backchecking have been close to the worst of the forwards...Do I want to get rid of him? NO, becasue he showed last year what he mnight be able to be, but so has this year....Hopfully a sophmore jinx..

Old
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Fletch

I had actually thought..

that Prucha's defense got a lot better and he had become more aggressive and diligent on the backcheck and in the defensive zone.

Old
01-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Whether or not it would be knee-jerk would be dependent on the return..Persoanlly, I think Prucha has sucked this year and has nobody to blame but himself...The offense is missing (but that's a line thing) but even more his defensive game, mental game and backchecking have been close to the worst of the forwards...Do I want to get rid of him? NO, becasue he showed last year what he mnight be able to be, but so has this year....Hopfully a sophmore jinx..
I know we disagree on this but I really haven't been down on Prucha this year.

Same thing with Cullen. It's so hard for me to judge some guys on this team because I think some of them just aren't being put in the right situation which is something I was really concerned about this past summer.

Some guys just haven't impressed me (Hall for example) but when I see Prucha and a guy like Cullen I find myself thinking less "God they suck" and more "You know this looks like it would in X situation with X as a linemate".

I see guys who just aren't where they should be. Not being in the right role has made some of the best players in the game look like ***, let alone the impact it'd have on guys like Cullen or Prucha.

Old
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I know we disagree on this but I really haven't been down on Prucha this year.

Same thing with Cullen. It's so hard for me to judge some guys on this team because I think some of them just aren't being put in the right situation which is something I was really concerned about this past summer.

Some guys just haven't impressed me (Hall for example) but when I see Prucha and a guy like Cullen I find myself thinking less "God they suck" and more "You know this looks like it would in X situation with X as a linemate".

I see guys who just aren't where they should be. Not being in the right role has made some of the best players in the game look like ***, let alone the impact it'd have on guys like Cullen or Prucha.
Yeah, that's sort of been my reaction...Betts and Ward had chemistry last year, but Renney seems to have gone out his way NOT to play them together; Shanahan has not seemed comfortable with any of his linemates; Hall looks completely out of sorts...(I still would like to see a 3rd line of Prucha-Culllen-Hall); the Hossa-Betts-Ward combo seemed to gel for a while, but then Renney scrapped that. I don't know if it's just the roster, or Renney himself gets too impatient.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
True but you also can't have all character/offensivly challanged players either.

Unfortunatly the Rangers seem to have no middle ground/transition line and that hurts.

You either have 100 point players or guys REALLY struggling to get double digit goals.
Which has been one of this team's biggest problems over the past years.

You have Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Kovalev, Jagr, Shanahan, etc. on the top lines, then it drops off to the likes of Lacroix, Toms, Grosek, McCarthy, Lundmark, Petrovicky, Fata, LaCouture, Ortmeyer and Hollweg.

I can't even remember the last time the Rangers had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line. It's just been 1-3-4-4 or 2-3-4-4. Sather hasn't gotten the pieces right yet.

As for Hollweg, I love his hitting and the occasional fight, but that's about the only thing I like about his game. It wouldn't kill me to see him replaced by a kid from Hartford in the future (only if said player is ready), or traded away as part of a package for something that we really need. 0 points so far is a little disturbing though. But the fact that he hits the way he does (and basically no one on the team comes close) makes me want to see him kept in the lineup most nights.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Which has been one of this team's biggest problems over the past years.

You have Fleury, Lindros, Bure, Kovalev, Jagr, Shanahan, etc. on the top lines, then it drops off to the likes of Lacroix, Toms, Grosek, McCarthy, Lundmark, Petrovicky, Fata, LaCouture, Ortmeyer and Hollweg.

I can't even remember the last time the Rangers had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line. It's just been 1-3-4-4 or 2-3-4-4. Sather hasn't gotten the pieces right yet.

As for Hollweg, I love his hitting and the occasional fight, but that's about the only thing I like about his game. It wouldn't kill me to see him replaced by a kid from Hartford in the future (only if said player is ready), or traded away as part of a package for something that we really need. 0 points so far is a little disturbing though. But the fact that he hits the way he does (and basically no one on the team comes close) makes me want to see him kept in the lineup most nights.

Without Hollweg, they would not be any hits. Maybe 2 for the forwards the whole game.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:00 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Without Hollweg, they would not be any hits. Maybe 2 for the forwards the whole game.
Dude...you made the thread

Old
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Hall thats a bunch of BS.

Betts, Ward, Tyutin, Hall, and Ortmeyer all take the body on a regular basis.

They may not hit as HARD or as often as Hollweg, but they do hit.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote