HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stick length

Old
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I've read all the info about stick cutting and the proof is always how does it work on the ice but I've got to ask. I just got a 20K stick (my first high end stick) and it is about 1.5-2 inches longer than my other sticks I play with. I tried it out on my stick handling pad last night and it felt AMAZING. Is it possible that having a really light stick with good feel will allow you to play a longer one or will it be even more amazing after I cut it to what I normally use?

FYI, I'm a defenseman and the new stick only goes to the middle of my nose, my old sticks to the middle of my mouth.
There's two possibilities here:

1. Perhaps the lie and/or rocker of the blade works better for you at a longer stick length. I know that if I cut my sticks too short, I've got too much toe on the ice and it hurts my stickhandling.

2. I have DEFINITELY found that a lighter stick makes a big difference for stickhandling, especially if you are tall and/or use a longer stick. It's a lot easier to control the puck when you have to move less mass, especially because the further the mass (blade) is away from your body, the heavier it feels.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Thesensation19*

Zuccarello is 5'6 and likes his stick to reach his forehead.
Crosby is 5'11 and likes to have his stick really short.

Its all preference. Start with it at your nose, without skates. From there try differ things to meet your needs.

I use to have it pretty long. Then I wanted to play lower with a lower center of gravity and more control upon turns. So I cut it all pretty short.

I liked it for a while but now think I wann ago back to longer

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
CarpeNoctem
Chilling w The Chief

With your skates on, you'll get the best of both worlds if it's within 1-2 inches of your chin either way. Good for shooting and stick handling, plus enough reach on D. I prefer spot on at the chin or a hair below that.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
jazzykat

Playing with the new light stick that was nose length was plenty fine. I took only a few shots which were ok (that needs some time getting used to, the length, kickpoint, and actually flexing a bit) but caught the puck and handled it like normal. Actually, my passing was spot on but I attribute that to being a good passer regardless of my stick and not having to use as many big muslces(gross motor control) allowing my smaller (fine motor control) muscles and the stick to do most of the work. Harassing the puck Carrier, (sweeping stick on the ice, whacking them lightly on their pants, gloves as they went behind the net, and generally being pesky)was much easier.

Last edited by jazzykat: 11-28-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: smart phone speak looked childish.
jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Coachtdoig

I got a message asking about the lie of your stick so I will touch on that a little bit.

I know Jarick and a couple others have posted a little bit on it so I will try to shed some light as well.

So many things factor in like height, position, style of play and just like others have said - your personal preference and what feels good.

Being able to get as much of your blade on the ice is key for many things especially receiving passes and shooting. The longer your stick is the further you are going to be able to shoot outside your body. Changing the angle on your shots helps to shoot around defenders as well as it forces goalies to adjust their angle.

Guys like Crosby and Kyle Wellwood use short sticks but they excel in tight areas being able to keep the puck close to their body. On the flip side someone like Corey Perry plays that similar style, and is affective but uses a much longer stick, and that's not just because he's taller.

Take all of those factors into play when choosing how long of a stick you use. Determine what type of player you are and what is the most important thing. Do you want a shorter stick so you can stay low and excel in tight areas. Or, do you want a little bit longer of a stick to change the angles on your shots a little more effectively.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 06:47 AM
jazzykat

Sorry to keep harping on this subject but as a simple guideline, if I have tape wear on 2/3 of my blade (heel to middle of blade) and almost none on the last 1/3 of the tape (i don't shoot snapshots) is that a reasonable amount of blade on the ice or should I cut the stuck a little (1/2" past my nose in bare feet right now). I could post a picture if my explanation isn't clear.

Thanks!

Old
12-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tape may or may not be a good measure:

Back in the day, folks used to use sticks with very little rocker on the blade, as in the bottom of the blade was pretty flat and the heel and toe would touch the ice at the same time. Now, most curves have some rocker to them, so if you set the blade with the middle touching the ice, the heel and/or toe might be slightly off.

We spend more time playing hockey without the puck than with it, so it makes sense that the mid-heel portion of the blade would wear down quicker as you're skating with one hand on the stick and your heel dragging on the ice or getting the stick into passing lanes, etc.

I'd be more interested in if your passes are off target, or if a lot of blade is off the ice when you think it should be flat, or having trouble catching passes, or your shots are way off target.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:35 AM
jazzykat

Thanks. Passes are better than with old stick. Only catching passes near/in my skates is more difficult (squirting underneath the blade) but that tends to make sense since it is a longer stick (2"). I just shift my bottom hand further down and mostly ironed that out.

But yeah, I am a non puck carrying D-man so I am one handing it 90% or more of the time I'm on the ice.

It's just so weird but I guess I'll get used to it. Once I break 1 or 2 of my backups I will cut this one a little as an experiment and buy a new whiz bang wunder stick. For the time being I'll rock my long stick.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:23 PM
redbranch

I found that it worked much better for me to drop from mouth height to chin height. Any longer than that, and I'd hit myself with my top hand when I followed through on shots

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I cut mine around collar bone height. I just found this site and it seems I'm not alone.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
i amde all the kids i coach cut their sticks to the v connection in the collarbones. it has made a world of difference with them.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 03:01 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I recently have been extending Bauer OPS and cutting Two-piece setups to about 59.5" heel to end at 6'2". Today I had a hunch that I wanted to pull my extension (1/2") out of my T1 p08 to use at standard length and just that difference was huge for stickhandling and passing. Shooting felt better too as I had to get lower.
Interestingly enough, the last couple months returning from an injury, I felt like I was fighting the puck and losing it on simple maneuvers. Had another hunch to add an inch (also because I wanted to drop the flex of a 95 flex to make it more usable as it was the curve I wanted to use) and it has made a world of difference. My power moves are back to working and my shot, both wrist/snap and clapper) are better than better. The extra length is helping me protect the puck more and I just have to be more active with my feet.

So now I'm working at about 60" at 6'2".

I should add that I am back to sakic variants as well.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 04:05 AM
jazzykat

My longer than average stick is the Reebok sakic curve...

Old
12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What was your other curve?

Old
12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
jazzykat