HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Phillies take Kevin Munson in the R5 Draft. Sounds like maybe #5 starter or bullpen guy? Honestly never heard of this kid, as is the case with most of the R5 guys. Phillies also lost Seth Rosin to the Mets in the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Munson

So...

Hamels
Lee
Gonzalez
Kendrick
Hernandez

Munson being the next guy in when the injuries happen? Who knows?
Gonzalez hasn't pitched in like 7 months. He's not a candidate for the rotation, and if they think he is, this team is even worse.

The fact that Kyle ****ing Kendrick is still in this rotation after his 4 million ERA last year and his 2 billion WHIP is ridiculous. I honestly don't even think Amaro feels like doing his due diligence. Its like he just rather sign the guys his knows then look for new ones.

Old
12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
KareemTrustfund
The real DuckJet

Old
12-12-2013, 05:53 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenntacular Duo View Post
Rangers selected Russel Wilson haha
Hey, you never know. Maybe Russell gets an injury sometime in his career that stops him from being an effective QB and decides to finish his athletic career in baseball. Was he a pitcher?

Old
12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
jml87

Kind of annoyed that we lost Rosin. I liked him.

But really, is Amaro just trying to annoy us at this point? I don't get anything he's doing. I mean, he won't shut up about starting pitching so he goes out and gets a guy with a 5 ERA? Why do I even bother discussing this stuff? He certainly doesn't seem to care.

I can only hope that someday I may get a job where I can sit on my ass, and be an idiot, and make seven figures. Wow, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Old
12-12-2013, 06:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Hey, you never know. Maybe Russell gets an injury sometime in his career that stops him from being an effective QB and decides to finish his athletic career in baseball. Was he a pitcher?
He was a second basemen.

Old
12-12-2013, 06:07 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He was a second basemen.
Interesting, I would have thought he'd play a position where a good arm was needed.

Old
12-12-2013, 08:59 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Trade Dom Brown and Papelbon for Matt Kemp.
He'd look great with Howard on the DL.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Mickey Morandini

As bad as some people think Holmgren is, at least he cares and tries, although too much at times.

Amaro doesn't even seem like he gives a ****. He's content with an 80 win at best ball club at this point. Just collecting pay checks while seeing how little he can actually do to get them.

Old
12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Sources have told me Phillies and Comcast have agreed to a new TV deal worth well over a Billion Dollars starts in 2015.
Source: Howard Eskin @howardeskin

Old
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Phil's should go after Chase Headley.

Whatever, who cares anyway. This team sucks and is going nowhere.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:42 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Phillies take Kevin Munson in the R5 Draft. Sounds like maybe #5 starter or bullpen guy? Honestly never heard of this kid, as is the case with most of the R5 guys. Phillies also lost Seth Rosin to the Mets in the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Munson

So...

Hamels
Lee
Gonzalez
Kendrick
Hernandez

Munson being the next guy in when the injuries happen? Who knows?
Munson hasn't started a game since high school (I'm just just guessing on the high school part). He's a typical Rule 5 guy you try to hide in the back of the bullpen and ease him in to games. Considering the state of the bullpen, he has a decent chance to stick.

Old
12-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Howard Eskin @howardeskin
For them to be competitive with others, it needs to be close to 3-4 billion

Old
12-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
For them to be competitive with others, it needs to be close to 3-4 billion
The Dodgers got $6 billion. $1.something billion for the Phillies would not be enough at all.

Hopefully by well over he meant like $4.5B and not $$1.75B.

Old
12-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Ruben (I know he had nothing to do with negotiations) but as soon as he saw the contract was for 35 years and he signed.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-13-2013, 08:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Gonzalez hasn't pitched in like 7 months. He's not a candidate for the rotation, and if they think he is, this team is even worse.
I'm pretty sure the plan is for him to be in the rotation. They didn't pay him all that money to be a middle reliever.

Quote:
The fact that Kyle ****ing Kendrick is still in this rotation after his 4 million ERA last year and his 2 billion WHIP is ridiculous. I honestly don't even think Amaro feels like doing his due diligence. Its like he just rather sign the guys his knows then look for new ones.
Kyle Kendrick is your run of the mill 4th/5th starter. Unless you are really lucky or paying out the ass, you aren't going to have anyone much better than Kendrick in that position. I've got no problems with Kendrick at the back of the rotation. Obviously, you want everyone to be a 20 game winner, but that is unrealistic.

Old
12-13-2013, 08:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Munson hasn't started a game since high school (I'm just just guessing on the high school part). He's a typical Rule 5 guy you try to hide in the back of the bullpen and ease him in to games. Considering the state of the bullpen, he has a decent chance to stick.
That's to be expected. I thought he was a starter but I guess not. Oh well. Looks like the rotation is rounded out now anyway (barring a trade of course).

Old
12-16-2013, 11:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

I gotta tell ya, as much as people are upset with the Phillies and Amaro's moves this offseason, the team has potential to do well this year. Going forward may be a different story, but with the Hamels-Lee one-two punch, a potentially potent offense, and a potentially improved bullpen, this team might compete.

Revere was looking like a good player before his injury. Utley put up some decent numbers. Brown was an all-star last year and hopefully will continue to improve. Chooch was solid and there is no reason to think he won't be again. That leaves the question marks of Byrd, Howard, Asche, and Rollins.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Bryd. I don't think he'll repeat last year, but I also don't think he'll be a bum at the plate. If Howard comes back swinging and gets to the 30HR, 100RBI range, which is not out of the question, that would be huge in the middle of the lineup. Rollins will likely bat around .250 and be the weakest part of the lineup along with Asche, who I also am not sure what to expect.

If the back end of the rotation (presumably Gonzalez, Kendrick, and Hernandez) pitch well, this team could see postseason time.

The bullpen I think has to be better just because of how bad they were last year. Bastardo, Martin, and Paps at the back end is pretty decent. And Mike Adams should rebound at least a little. The Diekmans and De Fratuses of the world are likely going to be about the same.

That being said, there are still A LOT of ifs with this team.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:07 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I gotta tell ya, as much as people are upset with the Phillies and Amaro's moves this offseason, the team has potential to do well this year. Going forward may be a different story, but with the Hamels-Lee one-two punch, a potentially potent offense, and a potentially improved bullpen, this team might compete.

Revere was looking like a good player before his injury. Utley put up some decent numbers. Brown was an all-star last year and hopefully will continue to improve. Chooch was solid and there is no reason to think he won't be again. That leaves the question marks of Byrd, Howard, Asche, and Rollins.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Bryd. I don't think he'll repeat last year, but I also don't think he'll be a bum at the plate. If Howard comes back swinging and gets to the 30HR, 100RBI range, which is not out of the question, that would be huge in the middle of the lineup. Rollins will likely bat around .250 and be the weakest part of the lineup along with Asche, who I also am not sure what to expect.

If the back end of the rotation (presumably Gonzalez, Kendrick, and Hernandez) pitch well, this team could see postseason time.

The bullpen I think has to be better just because of how bad they were last year. Bastardo, Martin, and Paps at the back end is pretty decent. And Mike Adams should rebound at least a little. The Diekmans and De Fratuses of the world are likely going to be about the same.

That being said, there are still A LOT of ifs with this team.
Too many ifs. I just don't get what Amaro is doing.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Buster Olney

PHI has made clear to other teams, as it did during the summer, that it is very willing to move Jimmy Rollins. Has a no-trade clause, tho.
Perhaps the Phillies are finally understanding the absolute necessity of a rebuild or, at the least, a retool. Until we clear the Howard contract off the books, it's gonna be rough competing.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Too many ifs. I just don't get what Amaro is doing.
I agree 100% that Amaro appears to be stuck between rebuilding and going for it. His moves are confusing at best. That being said, I do think this team can compete as it stands. As you said, there are a lot of ifs, but those ifs can be overcome. The biggest one is Ryan Howard. If he gets back to swinging the bat well, I think this team is a legit playoff contender even if the other ifs don't pan out. A serious power threat in the middle of the lineup makes the rest of the lineup more potent.

We'll see though. If Brown/Hamels/Lee does get moved, this offseason will have to be filed under WTF.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Hiesenberg

The more I look at it, the more I actually like what Amaro is doing. He seems to be letting the old big contracts wash away, he's not doing the 7/151 for mediocre CF's which I like.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Maybe I missed it, but has Darin Ruf officially been given up on?

Old
12-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
The more I look at it, the more I actually like what Amaro is doing. He seems to be letting the old big contracts wash away, he's not doing the 7/151 for mediocre CF's which I like.
On one hand it could be he's unwilling to give out monster contracts to mediocre players which is good. On the other hand it could be the organization is primarily concerned with getting its new TV contract and following it up with spending as little as possible.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:04 PM
jml87

Quote:
What is he doing? The team stopped spending money in 2012 and now they have a bloated lineup of guys who can't hit and we're down to Lee/Hamels and then frickin Kendrick is our third guy.

See, cause Amaro was such an idiot over past years and signed Howard, Rollins, and Papelbon in particular for way more than they were worth, now the owners won't hand over anymore cash and the team is in complete limbo. They can't get better because we can't trade those guys I mentioned and Amaro is using old methods instead of looking at statistics and figuring out what he can do. To trade the above names they would have to take back money and they don't want to do that. And because Amaro is as dumb as a brick, he can't find any cheap, good options to fill the holes.

So what have we added to the abysmal 2013 Phillies? Marlon Byrd replaces Delmon Young and we replaced John Lannan with Roberto Hernandez. You have a lineup that can't score runs to save themselves and the only thing you do is add Marlon Byrd?

I thought last year at spring training that people were being too harsh and that the Phillies had a chance to compete. But the truth is, their clean up hitter isn't the same since 2011, Rollins hasn't had a great season since 2007 and has gotten to the point that he's barely serviceable, and Papelbon and the bullpen were garbage. What has changed to make anyone think this will be better in 2014? This is the exact same team that we ended the season with.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Maybe I missed it, but has Darin Ruf officially been given up on?
Power RH bench guy.

Closed Thread