Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price

Old
01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
wildslip

vCash: 500
Carey Price

imagine if the wild took price at number four instead of beniot.... i know priceer personally and he said the wild staff was talking him alot and he thouhgt he was going there forshure.... he was just as shocked as the rest of us when he got picked by montreal..... but could u imagine the goalie depth we would have....

wildslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
mncdn

I have been pretty impressed with the Wild scouting thus far. I hope that they made the right decision on this one. Price would be great to have but I am satisfied with Beniot. They picked up a good back up this past offseason and I think that we are doing ok in the goalie department. Goalies are a weird thing. They remind me of a pitcher in baseball and how streaky they can be. I think they are a bigger risk than a skater.

My two cents

mncdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:51 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Price for Koivu!! (Kidding, don't kill me)

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Chrisd

why do the wild need price??? lol

Pouliot is doing great in the AHL and looks every bit the player that we thought he'd be. Very young still and very talented.

Also at the AHL level, we have a STUD goalie, that goes by the name of JOSH HARDING, whom i wouldn't trade straight up for PRICE.

If there was a guy we missed in that draft, it's anze kopitar not carey price, but I think Pouliot will be a stud.

Price was hardly a need...

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
ceber

Dunno.. that tournament has had some great goalies in it who didn't turn into much at the pro level.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Maybe the wild scouts had price ranked 4th, but had pouliot higher...and when pouliot was available....BPA

Price is a nice prospect tho- alot of people were scratching their heads with that pick, and I think his performance in the WJC has answered alot of questions.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdn View Post
I have been pretty impressed with the Wild scouting thus far.
There overseas scouting department needs to be shot.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Pepsi12pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
There overseas scouting department needs to be shot.
I thought nummelin was a good pickup

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi12pac View Post
I thought nummelin was a good pickup
Backstrom too but Nummelin was picked up before Minnesota got him. He was in Columbus than Atlanta. And I believe Koivu really wanted Nummelin.

But so far a lot of their Euro picks haven't done very much here in America. Remember Christoph Brandner? Georgi Misharin? Marcin Kolusz?

Old
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdn View Post
Goalies are a weird thing. They remind me of a pitcher in baseball and how streaky they can be. I think they are a bigger risk than a skater.
Just going off of recent drafts, goalies don't seem to be that more "risky" in terms of whether or not they're busts compared to skaters. I think the difference is, unless the goalie becomes a top tier starter, you might feel like he was a wasted pick. A first round skater that becomes a decent 3rd line guy/2nd pairing D--the Radek Bonks, Mike Rathjes, etc--you feel like you're getting some value out of it.

Here are the goalies taken in the first round in the 1990s, and the next 5 skaters taken after them:

1990: Trevor Kidd - Turner Stevenson, Michael Stewart, Brad May, Mark Greig, Karl Dykhuis. Kidd might not have had a stellar career, but neither did the guys that got picked behind him.

1990: Martin Brodeur - Bryan Smolinksi, Bryan Hughes, Jiri Slegr, David Harlock, Chris Simon. No regrets from this Devils' fan.

1991/92: No first round goalies.

1993: Jocelyn Thibault - Brendan Witt, Kenny Jonsson, Denis Pederson, Adam Deadmarsh, Mats Lindgren. Jonsson had a better NHL career, Deadmarsh would have had a better NHL career, and Witt has been steady. Thibault was an okay pick.

1994: Jamie Storr - Jason Wiemer, Brett Lindros, Nolan Baumgartner, Jeff Friesen, Wade Belak. The Kings messed up Storr's development IMO. Even though Storr didn't pan out, only Friesen had an above average NHL career of the guys picked after him.

1994: Eric Fichaud - Wayne Primeau, Brad Brown, Chris Dingman, Jason Botterill, Jeff Kealty. Sad when you can say that Wayne Primeau had the best career out of that bunch.

1994: Evgeni Ryabchikov - Kealty, Yan Golubovsky, Chris Wells, Vadim Sharifjanov, Rhett Warrener. Warrener was solid, those other four not so much.

1994: Dan Cloutier - Warrener, Johan Davidsson, Stan Neckar, Deron Quint, Jason Podollan. Despite his reputation, Cloutier has had an okay NHL career for a late first rounder.

1995: J.S. Giguere - Jay McKee, Jeff Ware, Brad Church, Petr Sykora, Dmitri Nabokov. Took a few years and a couple organizations, but Giguere panned out fine.

1995: Martin Biron - Church, Sykora, Nabokov, Denis Gauthier, Sean Brown. Again, not the worst pick given who was available.

1996: Craig Hillier - Daniel Briere, Peter Ratchuk, Jesse Wallin, Cory Sarich, Pavel Skrbek. '96 was just a bad draft, though Briere obviously sticks out.

1997: Roberto Luongo - Eric Brewer, Daniel Tkaczuk, Paul Mara, Sergei Samsonov, Nick Boynton. Solid pick.

1997: Mika Noronen - Nikos Tselious, Scott Hannan, Brendan Morrow, Kevin Grimes, Ben Clymer. Was a top prospect for awhile, but was stuck behind Hasek, then Biron, then Miller.

1997: J.F. Damphousse - Morrow, Grimes, Clymer, Brad DeFauw, Scott Barney. Morrow would have looked nice as a Devil. Clymer has had an average NHL career, the other three were busts for one reason or another.

1998: Patrick DesRochers/Mathieu Chouinard - Eric Chouinard, Martin Skoula, Dmitri Kalinin, Robyn Regehr, Scott Parker. The three D turned out to be productive, but the two forwards weren't.

1999: Brian Finley - Kris Beech, Taylor Pyatt, Jamie Lundmark, Branislav Mezei, Oleg Saprykin. Bust, but all five guys picked behind him did nothing for their original organizations either.

1999: Maxime Ouellet - Steve McCarthy, Luca Cereda, Mikhail Kuleshov, Martin Havlat, Kristian Kudroc - Behind Ouellet, there is one All-Star calibre player, one guy still trying be a regular NHLer, and three busts.

1999: Ari Ahonen - Michal Sivek, Luke Sellars, Charlie Stephens, Mike Ryan, Jonas Andersson. God I wish we could have traded Ahonen in 2001 when he had value. But the five guys taken behind him didn't have notable pro careers either.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Wild Bill

I wanted Gilbert Brule more than Pouliot or Price.

Anze Kopitar might have worked out OK as well...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Chrisd

man if the wild had kopitar....

They would be INSTANT contenders....

gabby
rolston
kopitar
demitra
bouchard
koivu
parrish

the fire power would be insane..

Lets just hope pouliot can be 75% of the player someday

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Kopitar rocks! We have depth problems...

Old
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Why no love for Pouliot?

He still have YEARS ahead of this guy and is performing well on a struggling team that lost 3 of its leading scorers from last year.

Hate him when he's around 27 and still hasn't produced.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Taupy

I wanted Benoit Pouliot at the draft day and I would still want him today. I think Pouliot will be an awesome NHLer, I would be happy to be a Wild fan, the future is bright in front of you.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
chaachie12

I remember ALL of these comments after Koivu was drafted too...it all works out.

chaachie12 is offline   Reply With Quote