HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Hjalmarsson

Old
12-12-2013, 04:06 AM
MyXoMoPBL

vCash: 500
Simon Hjalmarsson

Simon Hjalmarsson is THE most complete forward in the swedish league right now and everyones saying that he's lost for our team and that he'll be playing in the NHL the coming season; so I was very surprised to find that there's no discussion about him? I know that he's no longer a prospect for the blues since they didn't sign him for 3 years after his draft - but surely he must be taken into consideration?

Hes the best scorer in the swedish league right now, he plays physical (he didn't before),he has exceptional hands and great eye for the game. He can play a 2-way game even though offensively he's a beast.

So - Why isn't he being discussed? Is he lost for my team?

VIDEO: http://play.shl.se/video/2858277102001/
First one to reach 15 goals this season (and counting)

MyXoMoPBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

We don't have his rights anymore so we don't really have a reason to discuss him.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:46 AM
SteenMachine

Sounds like a guy who'd be nice to bring in as a NHL/AHL tweener who would ultimately reject that offer in favor of some random team loaded with Swedes like Detroit, or just some desperate cap ceiling team who likes to gamble like Toronto offering him a deal instead.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:10 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
We don't have his rights anymore so we don't really have a reason to discuss him.
This > just another europe player from that long list of players selected during the Jarmo era who was a bust.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
This > just another europe player from that long list of players selected during the Jarmo era who was a bust.
As opposed to our drafting pre-Jarmo? He missed on picks, but that's not the end of the world. It happens to all the teams.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 11:28 AM
MyXoMoPBL

Hjalmarsson a bust? You'll eat those words when you see him tearing up in some other team. Just like Carl Söderberg, they were linesmates last season.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Alklha

As said, we don't have his rights anymore. Even if we did have his rights, he wouldn't make our team right now.

You are right that he isn't a bust though, he should have a decent NHL career when he comes over.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

He was a risky pick at the time, a player who had 1st round skill. He's not a bust by any means.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
He's not a bust.

A bust is a player that doesn't pan out or play well. He's playing great hockey overseas and I assume he would be playing well had he been over in NA right now.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Does he have any shot at the Olympic squad (I'm guessing no) but it would be nice to see him play then.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXoMoPBL View Post
Hjalmarsson a bust? You'll eat those words when you see him tearing up in some other team. Just like Carl Söderberg, they were linesmates last season.
Soderberg has 4 goals in 25 games, how exactly is that tearing it up?

I don't understand why you're so offended that we're not discussing Hjalmarsson. We don't have his rights anymore, which means he is a free agent who can sign with any team he wants. Did you make 29 other threads in all the other team's boards about why they aren't discussing Hjalmarsson? Because they have just as good a chance to get him as we do.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Alklha

To be fair, Söderberg has 15 points in 25 games and is making a solid contribution to a good Bruins team. Hjalmarsson is over 3 years younger and is approaching a very similar level to Söderberg. He should become the better player, but is unlikely to be someone that were really regret letting slip away.

Looking at our RW depth of Oshie, Tarasenko & Stewart in the NHL, with Jaškin and Rattie in the AHL and nobody should be worried in the slightest that Hjalmarsson didn't make it here.

Old
12-12-2013, 06:53 PM
MyXoMoPBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Does he have any shot at the Olympic squad (I'm guessing no) but it would be nice to see him play then.
He has a shot, the only forward outside of the NHL that's being considered for the olympics team and that's been confirmed by the head coach of team Sweden.

Old
12-13-2013, 06:58 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
As opposed to our drafting pre-Jarmo? He missed on picks, but that's not the end of the world. It happens to all the teams.
Noted but the Blues since Jarmo left have drafted more North American talent a good thing since a good chunk of euro players the Blues drafted didn't even consider crossing the pond to play here in North America.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 07:18 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I'm curious, if he ever put any weight on. He is built really thin and narrow. Did he ever get over 175 pounds? He was listed at 161 for a few years.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Noted but the Blues since Jarmo left have drafted more North American talent a good thing since a good chunk of euro players the Blues drafted didn't even consider crossing the pond to play here in North America.
I wouldn't say a "chunk." There's a few, but a chunk implies it was 2-3 players each draft.

Old
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I'm curious, if he ever put any weight on. He is built really thin and narrow. Did he ever get over 175 pounds? He was listed at 161 for a few years.
Nope, still very thin. He's listed at 170 now, and that might be a little generous. I still think he'd adjust to the NHL without huge problems, but he is certainly small on the weight side of things.

Old
12-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
Soderberg has 4 goals in 25 games, how exactly is that tearing it up?
Yeti has, as someone else mentioned, 15 points playing with offensive black hole Chris Kelly (which has helped him become more defensively aware, though), and is improving with each game. You ask the Bruins board who our most consistent forwards have been and many are likely to name Carl in the top 3.

Hjalmarsson is considered for the OG, he's a solid (at times great even) penalty killer and has many other skills which make him almost as likely a pick for the Swedish 4th line as the role players we have in the NHL (especially since it's played on big rinks). Having said that, I doubt he makes it.

Having said that, I agree that it makes little sense to start this thread here, since St. Louis is absolutely stacked and probably won't go after him, even though they drafted him.

Fossy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 12:58 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
While this is true, you have to admit that when they have crossed they have been pretty successful. Even prospects we had given up on have turned into players/assets for us. Berra, Nikitin, and Soderberg may have taken awhile to show their value, but in the end they ended up better than guys like Sonne and Scott Jackson. I also really feel like Lemtyugov and Junland deserved more of a chance than they got.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 06:00 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
While this is true, you have to admit that when they have crossed they have been pretty successful. Even prospects we had given up on have turned into players/assets for us. Berra, Nikitin, and Soderberg may have taken awhile to show their value, but in the end they ended up better than guys like Sonne and Scott Jackson. I also really feel like Lemtyugov and Junland deserved more of a chance than they got.
I absolutely agree with u on Junland

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
stlblues23*

Is he related to Niklas Hjalmarsson?

stlblues23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues23 View Post
Is he related to Niklas Hjalmarsson?
No. And Junland is actually on the same team as Simon right now (It's the team Junland grew up playing for). Really good PMD, probably could've made it in the NHL under the right circumstances, but oh well.

Fossy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
Yeah why play Junland when you can play Woywitka, Strachan, or a washed up McKee. Lemtyugov should of been called up in 08 to see what he had at the NHL level. After that the top 9 got pretty crowed.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote