Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Godard Recalled

Old
01-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
That was an impressive fight tonight by Godard, I though the Boogey-man was gonna crush him, but boy Godard got him good, other than that... meh heh, but in games where a heavy-weight is needed, he is a top 5 fighter in the league probably.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:05 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
did you just pick the ones he won? or is he that impresive.

worked over boogaard though, very impresive . i really didnt think it was gonna be that one sided though. hopefully he sticks around for a while so he can do that more often. we need a guy like him to save iginla from fighting. and apparantly he can tangle with anyone in the league so far.

too bad the flames only play chara once this season.
Godard won far more than he lost while on the island. Isl fans loved him. Not as terrible a skater as you would think and his hands aren't terrible either but his role is to keep the opponents honest. You guys will love him. Good guy too.

Last edited by On Edge: 01-10-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: fix
On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:22 AM
abracanada

I think he adds an element to the team that has been missing. I don't know if it was him or the team just pulling it together, but that game last night was one of the better defensive efforts I have seen out of the team this year. They played tough, Flames hockey, but they added more killer instinct offensively. I am looking forward to this upcoming road trip. If they can start winning on the road, they will move up the rankings fast.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I think he adds an element to the team that has been missing. I don't know if it was him or the team just pulling it together, but that game last night was one of the better defensive efforts I have seen out of the team this year. They played tough, Flames hockey, but they added more killer instinct offensively. I am looking forward to this upcoming road trip. If they can start winning on the road, they will move up the rankings fast.

^ I agree.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Witter

Quote:
who on the canucks is gonna fight goddard?? kesler, cooke, the almighty bieska. please
Remember last game Boogey was running all your players. Godard can play and can hit and will get that team of there game if given the chance.

Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Dirk316

I was wondering how long it would take before Calgary finally got a heavyweight.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
who on the canucks is gonna fight goddard?? kesler, cooke, the almighty bieska. please
One of the Sedin sisters would easily beat Godard. One thing that worries about the Canucks is they lack a true enforcer. I know if I was Calgary I would dress Godard and tell him to nail the Canuck's skilled players. Not one person on that team could handle him. Bieska is a great fighter but he's not in the same league as Godard's.

Awesome fight. It's good to see Boogard get beat even though he's one of my favorite players. Like I said in the NHL board they say there is no place for the enforcer then we see this stuff. Even though they don't play often they allow your team to play more physical and more relaxed.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Like I said in the NHL board they say there is no place for the enforcer then we see this stuff. Even though they don't play often they allow your team to play more physical and more relaxed.

You're right, I agree. Personally, I love the role of the enforcer in the NHL.

Old
01-10-2007, 02:38 PM
abracanada

It isn't like the old days, but Goddard's is a legit tough guy, and the Flames have not been physically intimidating anyone of late. The role may not be as dead as many would have us believe - as long as the enforcer has the skills to play the game.

P.S. You don't think Minnesota got something started in respect to an armament race do you?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
I was wondering how long it would take before Calgary finally got a heavyweight.
Ya I was happy for Eric when I heard the Flames were pickin him up this season. After preseason tho I heard he wasnt put on the roster. Kinda upsetting as he was one of my favorite players on the Islanders. We all know the kid isnt gonna put up points, but what he brings to the team is just as important.

That guy wont put up with anyones ****. He wont back down and will always step up for any teammate without question.

Glad to see Calgary finally gave him another shot this season.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Ya I was happy for Eric when I heard the Flames were pickin him up this season. After preseason tho I heard he wasnt put on the roster. Kinda upsetting as he was one of my favorite players on the Islanders. We all know the kid isnt gonna put up points, but what he brings to the team is just as important.

That guy wont put up with anyones ****. He wont back down and will always step up for any teammate without question.

Glad to see Calgary finally gave him another shot this season.

I only wish he'd get more apportunities, especially against Division opponents. I hope they bring him up next time we play the Canucks. I'd love nothing more than to see Godard give Bieksa a beat down. lol.

Old
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
isles11

I'm so glad to see that Godard's finally getting an opportunity with you guys. He was one of my favorites last year. He's a monster on the ice - a real good fighter. As numerous people said earlier, he's an average skater, nothing special, but then again that's not his role. His role is to pound and to aggrivate and he does a damn good job at that. Off the ice, he's one of the nicest hockey players I've ever met. I really hope he's able to contribute to and stick with your team.

And last night's TKO of Boogaard? I knew the guy was good, but that was something special

isles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Doesn't matter if they fight him or not.. Bieksa will probably think twice before trying to run everyone all the time. We could have used Godard against Florida for Allen's antics..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:50 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
One of the Sedin sisters would easily beat Godard. One thing that worries about the Canucks is they lack a true enforcer.

Bieska is a great fighter but he's not in the same league as Godard's.
calgary had the same problem, we have 7-8 guys that can/will fight if nessesary, but no real top of line fighters, i wont say mccarty is our best fighter, because he loses most of the fights he has, so really who does that leave. calgarys problem is that our best two fighters are iginla and regehr, but they shouldnt fight because they are two of our star players and we dont wanna lose then for 5 mins, or of course to injury.(phanuef is a star player that fights too, but i dont think hes one of our better fighters yet anyways) ference, ritchie, warrener, kobasew, lundmark, among others will all drop the gloves sometimes but arent the greatest fighters either.

like i said before, boogaard was taking cheap runs at our smaller guys and getting away with it, and it really bothered me. the problem is the only thing we coulda done is cheapshot him or something because we dont have anyone who could stand up to him. regehrs a heavyweight, and a good fighter, but not a great one, and we needed a great one to stand up to boogaard.

that fight coulda been the difference in the game. i didnt expect to see boogaard get beat that bad. hell, i expected godard to lose. but he beat the snot out of him and boogaard didnt return to the game.

i really hope this guy gets to stick around. sure he wont score any goals, but he can be a guy that makes a small difference like he did with minesota. theres still room for enforcers in the league, and every team should have one, the minesota game is a good example

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
Doesn't matter if they fight him or not.. Bieksa will probably think twice before trying to run everyone all the time. We could have used Godard against Florida for Allen's antics..
i guess, but i really didnt think allen was all that bad. the hit on kobasew was a nice hit. iam not gonna be like the whiney montreal fans and ***** and moan like they did about regehrs hit on downey. its too bad that he got injured, but it happens, and whether its on your team, or against you have to respect a good hit. but i really dont think allen was taking runs at anyone. theres alot of guys in the calgary lineup that can matchup to allen fightingwise anyways

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:30 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
i really didnt think allen was all that bad. the hit on kobasew was a nice hit.
I agree. I mean, the hit was bad for Kobasew, but really it was his fault for skating with his head down.