HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we carry Briere this summer ?

Old
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
Can we carry Briere this summer ?

With all our player UFA , can you see us paying Souray , Markov AND Briere ? With the cap raising and Bonk , Johnson , Niinimaa and Aebischer who'll be UFA , do you think we can sign him ?

Grabovsky , Kostitsyn , Côté (Emelin) and Halak or Danis can remplace our UFA , but not Markov and Souray .

You guys think we can carry them ?

Talent Analyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Quiet Robert

I think Briere would dive in if a contract were offered. With a free falling market, it's easy to see guys going down easy to the big US cities, but if Briere keeps on embellishing his stats, maybe we could spear-head an initiative to get him to Montreal.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I think Briere would dive in if a contract were offered. With a free falling market, it's easy to see guys going down easy to the big US cities, but if Briere keeps on embellishing his stats, maybe we could spear-head an initiative to get him to Montreal.
bahahhahahhah!!!!

I doubt the Habs could afford him, but who knows.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:03 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
no puns/innuedos here. no sirree!

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Well done QR.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Mike8

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

There's really not much else to say on this topic.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Mike8

Oh, but this raises another topic... on the Sabres forum there's a discussion as to whether they should keep Briere or Drury. As a Hab fan, who would you prefer?

I'd definitely prefer Briere. As much as I find him dislikeable due to his diving antics, he's becoming a pretty fierce competitor and offensive threat out there. Drury's nice and all, clutch, strong fundamentals, but I believe a great 1-2 offensive duo up front is too rare and too good to pass up on. Not enough quality offensive centers in the league right now.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I would prefer to sign all of our D man then try and improve a bit like a decent centerman to replace Bonk and let the kids developp, the way I see our Lineup next year:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-XXXX-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson
Kostitsyn-Lapierre-XXXX

XXXX: free agent signing or Streit

I believe Sammy will be traded for some rental player if he continues to struggle.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally, I'd rather have Souray and Markov than Briere and one of the two.

Drury would be cheaper, but I can't see us picking him up unless we dump Samsonov.

01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
The Sanchise

Sorry I might be a little bit out of my place here but you guys trash Briere a lot and so so other teams yet you would LOVE to see him on your team. Is it you hate him or you hate when your team has to play against him, becasue I might say I hate Souray but I just close my eyes whenever he jumps onto the ice against Buffalo.

Anywho, Montreal is pretty much Briere's choice if Buffalo doesn't give him what they need which I hope they will.

The Sanchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Sorry I might be a little bit out of my place here but you guys trash Briere a lot and so so other teams yet you would LOVE to see him on your team. Is it you hate him or you hate when your team has to play against him, becasue I might say I hate Souray but I just close my eyes whenever he jumps onto the ice against Buffalo.

Anywho, Montreal is pretty much Briere's choice if Buffalo doesn't give him what they need which I hope they will.
When Briere's playing hockey, he's very likeable and his talent undeniable. When he starts flopping around, he instantly becomes highly dislikeable and the focus of any hostility.

I'd hate to see his flopping around in the CH jersey, but I'd enjoy a talent like him, and I think he'd instantly make Montreal a contender, assuming the club can hold on to Markov.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
SOLR

Quote:

Thrashing Brière? where.

Competitiveness...

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:

I like Briere. I think he's a very exciting player. But he's a huge diver, and I don't think the Habs need that. It sets a bad tone when your leader is flopping all over the ice. Pretty much all star players dive occasionally, but it's a matter of degree. Briere has no shame whatsoever when it comes to diving.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
When Briere's playing hockey, he's very likeable and his talent undeniable. When he starts flopping around, he instantly becomes highly dislikeable and the focus of any hostility.

I'd hate to see his flopping around in the CH jersey, but I'd enjoy a talent like him, and I think he'd instantly make Montreal a contender, assuming the club can hold on to Markov.
I see it exactly the same way. Incredible talent and a lot of fun to watch, but once he starts the flopping and embellishing it takes the focus away from that talent and makes him quite dislikeable.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Briere in a habs jersey = AWESOME!

I hope it happens.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
fredez

Quote:
Wow, that's almost a poetic bash. I like!

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Marc-E-

I think he would like to stay in Buffalo, even more if they win the cup this year!

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I'd rather have Drury.

ps- Awsome post, QR.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
10.0!!!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Ismellofhockey

I see Souray preferring a California based team to Montreal so it's not impossible to see Brière as a Hab depending on Souray's decision and price.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Brière - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Johnson
Perezhoguin - Lapierre - Bégin
Downey/Grabovsky

Markov - Rivet
Streit - Komisarek
Dandenault - Bouillon
Côté/Emelin

Huet
Danis

Aebischer $1.9M
Souray $2.4M
Bonk $2.4M
Murray $500K
Niinimaa $2.5M
Total $9.7M saved

Grabovsky $500K
Lapierre $500K
Côté $500K
Danis $500K
Brière $5.5M
Total $7.5M spent

Leaving $2.2M(+salary cap increase) for raises to the RFAs. The team might have a size issue though.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
imnothere

I'd rather keep Sourray and Markov.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Subban Fan

I say...Sign Markov, Rivet and...Brière!!!

Tender-Koivu-Ryder
Sammy-Briere-Kovy
Higgs-Pleks-Perez
Begin-Lappy-Kost/Murray

Markov-Komi
Bouillon-Dandy
Streit-Rivet
Emelin

Is it possible to fit this lineup under the cap???

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
AD

Quote:
I'd much rather have Drury

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
El Wama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I say...Sign Markov, Rivet and...Brière!!!

Tender-Koivu-Ryder
Sammy-Briere-Kovy
Higgs-Pleks-Perez
Begin-Lappy-Kost/Murray

Markov-Komi
Bouillon-Dandy
Streit-Rivet
Emelin

Is it possible to fit this lineup under the cap???
I'd rather sign Rivet, Briere and Stuart, promote Streit to play fulltime D.

Stuart - Komisarek
Streit - Rivet
Bouillon - Dandeneault

To win a stanley cup, I think, you have to trust your goalie, have a good special team, and a mobile defense. Look at the Hurricanes last year...

Just my 2 cents

El Wama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Briere does what he has to do to excel in the league. He plays with emotion, and part of that is a little spear, some flopping, some talking. He has all kinds of puck skills, seems to be able to score at crunch time, but the other stuff is part of his game, and it doesn't make him likeable.

I think it was his last game in Mtl, Rivet had face washed him for rapping on Huet's pads and Briere threw himself down n th eice so hard, I thought they'd need repairs. Between periods he was interviewed in French and he alluded to them rising above Mtl's intimidation tactics . The Habs, bullies all of a sudden ? I only wish.

Drury or Briere ? Maybe I lean to Briere in that Koivu can do a job against top C's, esp. if they have a C like Briere giving them offense. I wouldn't mind seeing Latendresse and Briere being a long term duo. Doubt it though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote