HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was the TSN reporter/analyst?

Old
01-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Ape Clutch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
But surely not as over the top as Michel Bergeron.
lol Bergeron, I can't wait till bonk scores his 15th goal!

it seems "to me" that Villeneuve is the only normal guy on show

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Schooner Guy

Todd's a strange one. I wrote him an email a few years ago correcting a couple of errors he made on an expansion draft format (he really butchered it in an article) and he sent a temper tantrum reply back to me full of exclamation marks and made excuses that he was sick and had to meet a tough deadline from home. He finished the response by saying he hates when condescending punks talk down to him. He then made a really bad error in his very next article (mentioned that Hainsey would be playing in Fredericton next year even though the Baby Habs were in year 2 in Quebec City) and I emailed him about that error and told him he should request a transfer to a non-sports department in the Gazette since he had a solid grasp of the English language but a poor grasp of sports. He didn't respond to that one.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Todd's a strange one. I wrote him an email a few years ago correcting a couple of errors he made on an expansion draft format (he really butchered it in an article) and he sent a temper tantrum reply back to me full of exclamation marks and made excuses that he was sick and had to meet a tough deadline from home. He finished the response by saying he hates when condescending punks talk down to him. He then made a really bad error in his very next article (mentioned that Hainsey would be playing in Fredericton next year even though the Baby Habs were in year 2 in Quebec City) and I emailed him about that error and told him he should request a transfer to a non-sports department in the Gazette since he had a solid grasp of the English language but a poor grasp of sports. He didn't respond to that one.
I think Todd's getting antsy because he's made a living writing pretty much exactly the kind of stuff we write on the message boards, and now there's less of a need for him. I could name more than one poster at HF whose output, in terms of both content and editorial, surpasses what Todd gets paid the big bucks to churn out.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

it sounds to me as if the truth was exaggerated by somebody at some point here.

But what has become obvious is that Souray is not afraid to admit that he he reads the papers and he knows what his critics think of him. He takes these things to heart and goes out to prove them wrong.

I'm glad that he's shutting them all up.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:46 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think he was alluding to Pierre McGuire, although Pierre never said that about Souray. He did criticize his game, but nothing more than what we've all said (he's weak 5 on 5).
No Pierre said that about Radek Bonk which just goes to show that sometimew Pierre is full of bonk.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:48 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
No Pierre said that about Radek Bonk which just goes to show that sometimew Pierre is full of bonk.
Not true. He said Bonk is a frustrating player to coach and he struggles with offensive consistency. The player Bonk is today is different from the Bonk of Ottawa.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:52 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Jackt Todd is a fine writer. But his credibility isn't exactly top-notch. I find him to be a pretty poor journalist to be quite honest. But he is a really good writer so eh.
I wouldn't criticize his ability to write. He has written some excellent feature articles, I'm told the book he wrote was well written. My problem with him has always been about integrity and his willingness, in fact eagereness, to use his column for personal vendettas. He never lets facts or real events get in the way.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Jack Todd is not reliable. I would say he's stretching the truth of what was said.
that's exactly what he's doing.

Yesterday, when Melnick asked McGuire if by any chance he was the "unamed commentator" that Todd was talking about, Mcguire said he that Todd should learn how to listen better.

He never said he couldn't play in the NHL, but that he struggled to adapt to the new rules.
He praised Sheldon for his offensive capabilities and his importance to the team's success and not once did he put him down.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
that's exactly what he's doing.

Yesterday, when Melnick asked McGuire if by any chance he was the "unamed commentator" that Todd was talking about, Mcguire said he that Todd should learn how to listen better.

He never said he couldn't play in the NHL, but that he struggled to adapt to the new rules.
He praised Sheldon for his offensive capabilities and his importance to the team's success and not once did he put him down.
Fine - but McGuire is also an expert in splitting hairs. He never takes full responsibility for his errors in judgements. The hate-on for many who dislike McGuire - as myself- is that he becomes overly passionate about his point and is condeceding if anyone challenges his - as many have on the Melnyk show.

Examples:

Carey Price: He now says that Price has changed and thus has become a blue chip prospect. Me thinks that Habs knew what they were doing and McGuire just missed the boat on draft day. Also where is all the Brule love?

Huet: The Book - nuff said...

Souray: Struggeling to adapt to the new rules should not land you as a starter in the All Star game.

Bonk: Coach killer - Carbo's go to guy.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:09 AM
lilooet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
I think Todd's getting antsy because he's made a living writing pretty much exactly the kind of stuff we write on the message boards, and now there's less of a need for him. I could name more than one poster at HF whose output, in terms of both content and editorial, surpasses what Todd gets paid the big bucks to churn out.
Thank you.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Fine - but McGuire is also an expert in splitting hairs. He never takes full responsibility for his errors in judgements. The hate-on for many who dislike McGuire - as myself- is that he becomes overly passionate about his point and is condeceding if anyone challenges his - as many have on the Melnyk show.

Examples:

Carey Price: He now says that Price has changed and thus has become a blue chip prospect. Me thinks that Habs knew what they were doing and McGuire just missed the boat on draft day. Also where is all the Brule love?

Huet: The Book - nuff said...

Souray: Struggeling to adapt to the new rules should not land you as a starter in the All Star game.

Bonk: Coach killer - Carbo's go to guy.
Funny, a friend and I get together and talk hockey, kids whatever, and how whatever broadcaster gets on our collective nerves. I like McGuire, he's sick of him. I think PM would do himself a favor if he said, Huet's a great story, he's exceeded my expectations, and proved me and many other so-called experts wrong. He does the 1st 2, but falls short on #3.
On Price, he could easily say that in his opinion, the team should have drafted for need, Bourdon, Staal, etc. rather than Goalie. He doesn't have to mea culpa on this one, just admit that he may be a special player who will justify Timmins' belief. Exagerrating the kid's growth and maturity to make yourself look better looks weak to me. I think most fans with room temperature iq's know how much of a crap shoot judging 18 year olds' is. What'sw rong with, 'well I believed at the time,..., and ... may prove me wrong'. Scouts and media are putting their reps on the line every day with opinions, nothing wrong with revising the opinions, it's an imperfect science.

Old
01-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Funny, a friend and I get together and talk hockey, kids whatever, and how whatever broadcaster gets on our collective nerves. I like McGuire, he's sick of him. I think PM would do himself a favor if he said, Huet's a great story, he's exceeded my expectations, and proved me and many other so-called experts wrong. He does the 1st 2, but falls short on #3.
On Price, he could easily say that in his opinion, the team should have drafted for need, Bourdon, Staal, etc. rather than Goalie. He doesn't have to mea culpa on this one, just admit that he may be a special player who will justify Timmins' belief. Exagerrating the kid's growth and maturity to make yourself look better looks weak to me. I think most fans with room temperature iq's know how much of a crap shoot judging 18 year olds' is. What'sw rong with, 'well I believed at the time,..., and ... may prove me wrong'. Scouts and media are putting their reps on the line every day with opinions, nothing wrong with revising the opinions, it's an imperfect science.
As McGuire would say - that a Monster post

Old
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
On Price, he could easily say that in his opinion, the team should have drafted for need, Bourdon, Staal, etc. rather than Goalie. He doesn't have to mea culpa on this one, just admit that he may be a special player who will justify Timmins' belief. Exagerrating the kid's growth and maturity to make yourself look better looks weak to me.
This has always been McGuire's MO when he's proven wrong. Just like his explanation for Huet: "Melanson's really helped him with his fundamentals." No, Einstein, he simply really was that good when we saw him last season. Melanson did not perform alchemy and turn crap into gold.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Trexim

Quote:
On Price, he could easily say that in his opinion, the team should have drafted for need, Bourdon, Staal, etc. rather than Goalie. He doesn't have to mea culpa on this one, just admit that he may be a special player who will justify Timmins' belief. Exagerrating the kid's growth and maturity to make yourself look better looks weak to me.
One thing the scouts liked about Price in his draft year was that he's matured beyond his years. With the maturity, PM put on Price during the WJC, you may think Price is qualified for UFA next year when he's 20.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
This has always been McGuire's MO when he's proven wrong. Just like his explanation for Huet: "Melanson's really helped him with his fundamentals." No, Einstein, he simply really was that good when we saw him last season. Melanson did not perform alchemy and turn crap into gold.
I love that word. One you don't use enough these days. I chaleenge everyone to work alchemy, or alchemist into conversation somewhere today.

Old
01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
lilooet*

Quote:
I love that word. One you don't use enough these days. I chaleenge everyone to work alchemy, or alchemist into conversation somewhere today.
My cousin was a perfect alchemist in bed. I mean, I'm usually just awful.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
My cousin was a perfect alchemist in bed. I mean, I'm usually just awful.
I've never been that close to my cousins.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
mcphee

lilooet must have really looked forward to Christmas and Easter.

I heard McGuire's clip re Todd's comments at lunchtime. He pretty much said that if Todd was referring to him, he's a liar. I kind of enjoyed hearing that clip.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
I wouldn't criticize his ability to write. He has written some excellent feature articles, I'm told the book he wrote was well written. My problem with him has always been about integrity and his willingness, in fact eagereness, to use his column for personal vendettas. He never lets facts or real events get in the way.
I have a good friend in the McGill football team and when the scandal broke out, Todd was harassing aome of them on their personal cellphones lines and telling them if they wouldn't talk, he would "ruin" them. He's that kind of guy.

I still remember one of his ridiculous article on that olympic swimmer Ray something? He basically admitted in his column that the only reason he was making a big deal out of the incident (the shirt-swapping incident with the security guard) was because swim canada was stonewalling him.

But he is once again a very good writer, though I surprised he took a rather obscure subject as a first book. He would make a lot more money writing witty novellas.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Kostitsyn404*

I say we put him on staff. Have him tell us which players to trade and which to keep and do the opposite of what he says.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
I have a good friend in the McGill football team and when the scandal broke out, Todd was harassing aome of them on their personal cellphones lines and telling them if they wouldn't talk, he would "ruin" them. He's that kind of guy.

I still remember one of his ridiculous article on that olympic swimmer Ray something? He basically admitted in his column that the only reason he was making a big deal out of the incident (the shirt-swapping incident with the security guard) was because swim canada was stonewalling him.

But he is once again a very good writer, though I surprised he took a rather obscure subject as a first book. He would make a lot more money writing witty novellas.
If he was a good writer he wouldn't sink to such pitiful lows as he does. It doesn't take talent to write unsubstantiated, clever little one-liners.

Just my opinion.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Habnot

Quote:
I am so horny, I would even bang Al the Chemist.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
If he was a good writer he wouldn't sink to such pitiful lows as he does. It doesn't take talent to write unsubstantiated, clever little one-liners.

Just my opinion.
I think he meant pure writing, ability to put words together well, and that's the only credit I'd give him. More as a writer than a journalist, which he's not. I gave up on the hack when he started a vendetta aginst GPK pee wee football coaches. He once went on a tirade against a Lasalle sports organization that disqualified a team over a technicality, used 2 or 3 days of column space on it. The org. called him to give their side of the story, he wasn't interested. Just 2 little examples, there are dozens of them.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I am so horny, I would even bang Al the Chemist.
Al's not bad though.

Old
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Poochie_D

I also thought 5 on 5 was Sheldon's weak point but he has been very good defensively this season. No highlight reels

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote