HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nolan's coming back. Wow!

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 10:57 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Nolan's coming back. Wow!

We survived a brutal stretch of injuries
now we're getting healthy, currently on a 3 game win streak

I hope it doesnt take Owen long to feel comfortable
He should have lots of jump out there

roberts sundin renberg
pony joe antro
c.johnson reichel nolan
wilm stajan domi

dont change the #2 line Pat!

Old
01-24-2004, 11:17 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
We survived a brutal stretch of injuries
now we're getting healthy, currently on a 3 game win streak

I hope it doesnt take Owen long to feel comfortable
He should have lots of jump out there

roberts sundin renberg
pony joe antro
c.johnson reichel nolan
wilm stajan domi

dont change the #2 line Pat!
With all due respect to Poni.. When Nolan and Mogilny come back, Poni moves down the depth chart

Old
01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
With all due respect to Poni.. When Nolan and Mogilny come back, Poni moves down the depth chart
He does indeed, but when Nolan-Mogilny are back, centre Stajan with them. Or have a Tucker-Nolan-Mogilny line. Do not break up that line unless we're hoping to drop low enough to draft Ovechkin ;-).

Old
01-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Sundin13

Send a message via MSN to Sundin13
The following line up looks good to me, not sure if Antropov can play the LW, but all these lines have size, grit and the ability to put the puck in the net.

Roberts Sundin Renberg
Antropov Nieuwendyke Nolan
Ponikarovsky Reichel Johnson
Wilm Stajan Domi

Old
01-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
He does indeed, but when Nolan-Mogilny are back, centre Stajan with them. Or have a Tucker-Nolan-Mogilny line. Do not break up that line unless we're hoping to drop low enough to draft Ovechkin ;-).
If we draft Ovechkin then we'll set a record for most consecutive losses.

01-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
If we draft Ovechkin then we'll set a record for most consecutive losses.
Maybe we should just try to trade for the pick...hehe

Old
01-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

According to today's Toronto papers, Nolan has suffered a setback.

He won't be in the lineup next week, IMO. Still getting headaches and flashes with the blurriness in the lower portion of his vision.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

"Nolan has been skating with the team and says Tuesday's home game against Carolina remains "a possibility" but his improvement has levelled off over the last three days. Toronto coach Pat Quinn yesterday said, "Nolan is not near ready yet."

The 31-year-old winger is frustrated by the uncertainty.

"I feel good out there and I'm skating hard but I still get those bright spots when I'm skating hard and mild headaches when I overexert myself. I'm just waiting for that to go away and I'm ready," he said after taking part in the team's morning skate here yesterday.

"It's hard to explain, the best I can say is it's not quite as bright as a camera flash but similar to that," he said of the flashes. "It's down where the incident was. It's all blurry in the bottom of my eye."

"It's just there and it's not going away so I don't have any answers right now."

Old
01-25-2004, 10:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

It was painful to watch Domi out there last night with Reichel.

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Nolan-Reichel-Mogilny
Poni-Niewy-Antro
Tucker-Stajan-Wilm

As far as 1st., 2nd., 3rd., lines go it is really the PP and PK times that are important.

At this point the Poni-Niewy-Ant line should be left intact. If you want to call it the third line, then great. That is a decent third line.

If you check out the even strength time on ice there isn't a great deal of difference between Reichel (11:26) and Sundin (13:40) with Almo, Nolan, Niewy, Ant, Renberg, Roberts in between.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
01-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
It was painful to watch Domi out there last night with Reichel.

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Nolan-Reichel-Mogilny
Poni-Niewy-Antro
Tucker-Stajan-Wilm

As far as 1st., 2nd., 3rd., lines go it is really the PP and PK times that are important.

At this point the Poni-Niewy-Ant line should be left intact. If you want to call it the third line, then great. That is a decent third line.

If you check out the even strength time on ice there isn't a great deal of difference between Reichel (11:26) and Sundin (13:40) with Almo, Nolan, Niewy, Ant, Renberg, Roberts in between.
While the Poni-Niewy-Ant does play well together I still think Quinn will switch things around... TO Me any one that plays with Nieuwy plays better..

I think Quinn will do this...

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Tucker-Nieuwy-Nolan
Poni-Antro-Mogilny
Domi-Reichel-Fitz

EXTRAs: Wilm/Stajan/Johnson/Belak

but that is of course with a healthy lineup...Yah right... and No trades ...

Old
01-25-2004, 11:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
While the Poni-Niewy-Ant does play well together I still think Quinn will switch things around... TO Me any one that plays with Nieuwy plays better..

I think Quinn will do this...

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Tucker-Nieuwy-Nolan
Poni-Antro-Mogilny
Domi-Reichel-Fitz

EXTRAs: Wilm/Stajan/Johnson/Belak

but that is of course with a healthy lineup...Yah right... and No trades ...
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69515

Quinn was especially pleased with the play of his so-called second line of Nieuwendyk, Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, which did most of the damage on attack. Ponikarovsky had two assists and was plus-4.

``I had a minus-5 a couple of weeks ago against Ottawa, so it's good that I was one the ice for all four goals tonight,'' said Ponikarovsky, who was coming off a two-goal performance in a 3-2 win over Washington on Wednesday.

``Each game I'm getting more confidence.''

Said Quinn: ``I like the way that line looks. I'll keep them together for a while.''

Old
01-25-2004, 11:30 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:

Said Quinn: ``I like the way that line looks. I'll keep them together for a while.''
groovy

Old
01-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quinn was especially pleased with the play of his so-called second line of Nieuwendyk, Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, which did most of the damage on attack. Ponikarovsky had two assists and was plus-4.

``I had a minus-5 a couple of weeks ago against Ottawa, so it's good that I was one the ice for all four goals tonight,'' said Ponikarovsky, who was coming off a two-goal performance in a 3-2 win over Washington on Wednesday.

``Each game I'm getting more confidence.''

Not arguing that the line has played well ...but it does have 2 cronically injured players in Ant and Nieuwy and when one goes down before the palyoffs begin even if its for a short period ...Quinn will break it up as a result and that would be the end... I just don't see Poni as well as he has played getting more ice time than the injured players now and when Nolan and Mogilny and Tucker return his ice time will be lessened as a result... and its more than a guess since I have seen the same thing with Quinn time and time again over the years ... So I am basing that on Fact/History more than Fiction if you like.... Quinn plays his vets and the further into the season and playoffs we get the more Quinn will do that... As well as Stajan has played this year...If the Leafs are Healthy come Playoff time He will be in the Pressbox and just a notch higher than him will be Poni... We saw that pecking order early in the season when Poni and Perrott where the healthy srcatches... It will happen again... as in Quinns mind he is at best the 12th forward and that depends on Stajan and Belak during certain series and games...

When it comes to Quinn he will not bench any of the following 11 forwards for Poni come playoff time (top 11 in no order) and thats assuming no Deadline player is added like O'Neill or Bondra etc..

Sundin
Roberts
Renberg
Tucker
Nieuwendyk
Nolan
Antropov
Mogilny
Domi
Reichel
Fitzgerald

12th Forward Poni/Stajan/Belak IMO...
13th Forward Wilm and Johnson

Old
01-25-2004, 12:04 PM
TML_fan_4_life

Quote:
Not arguing that the line has played well ...but it does have 2 cronically injured players in Ant and Nieuwy and when one goes down before the palyoffs begin even if its for a short period ...Quinn will break it up as a result and that would be the end... I just don't see Poni as well as he has played getting more ice time than the injured players now and when Nolan and Mogilny and Tucker return his ice time will be lessened as a result... and its more than a guess since I have seen the same thing with Quinn time and time again over the years ... So I am basing that on Fact/History more than Fiction if you like.... Quinn plays his vets and the further into the season and playoffs we get the more Quinn will do that... As well as Stajan has played this year...If the Leafs are Healthy come Playoff time He will be in the Pressbox and just a notch higher than him will be Poni... We saw that pecking order early in the season when Poni and Perrott where the healthy srcatches... It will happen again... as in Quinns mind he is at best the 12th forward and that depends on Stajan and Belak during certain series and games...

When it comes to Quinn he will not bench any of the following 11 forwards for Poni come playoff time (top 11 in no order) and thats assuming no Deadline player is added like O'Neill or Bondra etc..

Sundin
Roberts
Renberg
Tucker
Nieuwendyk
Nolan
Antropov
Mogilny
Domi
Reichel
Fitzgerald

If Poni keeps on improving and Pat decides to play Domi over Poni, that I'd fire Pat Quinn. Poni makes good passes, scores goals (not that many, but give him time) forchecks well, hits, and plays on the penalty kill. He's 23 and we need young guys in the playoffs and for the future.

Domi is a pylon, I used to be a huge fan, but he doesn't fight and he can't score. Leaf fans but aside your european biases, and tell if you had a choice between Domi or Poni who would you want?

and don't give me the leadership bull**** that Domi provides because this team probably has the most leadership in the NHL.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML_fan_4_life
If Poni keeps on improving and Pat decides to play Domi over Poni, that I'd fire Pat Quinn. Poni makes good passes, scores goals (not that many, but give him time) forchecks well, hits, and plays on the penalty kill. He's 23 and we need young guys in the playoffs and for the future.

Domi is a pylon, I used to be a huge fan, but he doesn't fight and he can't score. Leaf fans but aside your european biases, and tell if you had a choice between Domi or Poni who would you want?

and don't give me the leadership bull**** that Domi provides because this team probably has the most leadership in the NHL.
But remember its not what we would do...its up to Quinn and Domi and Poni's role on the team are quite different and as such IMO are hard to compare 1 to 1...... If you are in a tough playoff series with the Flyers ...Who will Quinn use to Nullify Brashier ???

Old
01-25-2004, 12:17 PM
TML_fan_4_life

Quote:
But remember its not what we would do...its up to Quinn and Domi and Poni's role on the team are quite different and as such IMO are hard to compare 1 to 1...... If you are in a tough playoff series with the Flyers ...Who will Quinn use to Nullify Brashier ???
I forgot Domi really nullified Brashier when Philly played Toronto last week.

Wake up Brashier was pounding guys left and right and Domi didn't do ****. Wade Beleak is the only guy on this team who could stand up to Brashier, to bad he's injured.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML_fan_4_life
I forgot Domi really nullified Brashier when Philly played Toronto last week.

Wake up Brashier was pounding guys left and right and Domi didn't do ****. Wade Beleak is the only guy on this team who could stand up to Brashier, to bad he's injured.
Leafs have carried 3 tough guys all season Domi, Belak and Perrott and if none of them play in the playoffs ... Why were they all needed and what role do they play on this team...????

Old
01-25-2004, 12:37 PM
TML_fan_4_life

Gary Roberts, Nolan, Renberg, Tucker, Poni, Fitzgerald, Antropov

All these guys bring toughness when healthy and some of them ocassionally fight. Besides there are very few fights in the playoffs. I agree with you we need tough guys, but we have to roll 4 lines to compete for the cup. I don't want fighting pylons.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Raging Bull

We don't need fighters in the playoffs all we need is tough physical hitters. I never see Tie Domi giving a good ol' fashion open ice hit lately. If they can go into the playoffs with there intense hitters (Roberts, Nolan, Tucker, McCabe, Marchment) they should be alright. Unfortanatly alot of those guys are getting on in age, and it seems anytime Toronto makes it to the conference finals, they are beat to hell from the last 2 rounds and just out of gas.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quinn plays his vets and the further into the season and playoffs we get the more Quinn will do that... As well as Stajan has played this year...If the Leafs are Healthy come Playoff time He will be in the Pressbox and just a notch higher than him will be Poni... We saw that pecking order early in the season when Poni and Perrott where the healthy srcatches... It will happen again... as in Quinns mind he is at best the 12th forward and that depends on Stajan and Belak during certain series and games...

Sundin
Roberts
Renberg
Tucker
Nieuwendyk
Nolan
Antropov
Mogilny
Domi
Reichel
Fitzgerald

Did Domi play last night?

I thought he just was out there to mess up plays and make everyone else look skilled.

Closed Thread