HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
09-03-2013, 03:36 PM
MTaylorJ1

vCash: 500
One thing that absolutely drives me crazy are beer league refs who take the attitude (and worse, verbalize it) that they don't get paid enough to deal with the complaints that inevitably occur during a beer league game. Miss a call? No problem. Happens to everyone. Get questioned about it? Say you didn't see it that way and skate away. I'll accept that every time. But the I don't get paid enough crap? If that's true, don't do it. I've worked a ton of part time jobs in my life, and almost every one of them involves putting up with people's complaining, and it's never okay to tell a customer look, I don't get paid enough to deal with this.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:18 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSea View Post
My complaint is not knowing any beer leagues in SoCal and not knowing how to skate. I wish I had something cool to complain about like you guys.
Umm, worst complaint ever.
Almost every city in socal has a rink, if not more...

I have skated at: 2 rinks in van nuys, 1 in culver city, 2 in aneheim, 2 in ontario, 1 in burbank... Thats just off the top of my head.

Go to google maps and type in " Ice rink near _____" and put in the closest major city. Then do that for those around you.
Each rink has a website, each website has a phone number. Call that and ask about hockey leagues and skating lessons. Easier that that, most of the time that info in on the website.

Used pads are ~200 for a player.

Its not hard, I just did it as a 29 year old engineering student who works to support himself. Starting from not being able to ice skate.

The only thing it takes is you actually doing it.

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Frankie Spankie

I love ****ing with people who make fun of anybody for yelling offsides when the guy is 3 feet offside or for yelling hook or whatever when the ref doesn't call it, yet they're in the ref's face every time they don't get a call in their favor. I don't know if they're trying to make you look bad or if they're just trying to make themselves look better.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Meh...this happened in my game the one before last.

The game is tied 3 - 3 and there's about 2 minutes left...faceoff in our zone and I'm playing wing so I immediately try to jump out to the point to cover my guy. They pass to him, but the centre skates laterally and takes me out knee on knee (I literally go flying, and slide along the ice away from the defenceman). He shoots and they score putting them up 4 - 3 with about a minute or a minute and a half left to go.

I get up, put my hands up and look at the ref and he goes 'don't even start' and just skates away. Pretty frustrating having the game winning goal come from the guy you're skating out to cover when you get interfered with/picked off by a knee on knee. It's not like the ref wouldn't have seen it either since that's where the puck was headed.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Meh...this happened in my game the one before last.

The game is tied 3 - 3 and there's about 2 minutes left...faceoff in our zone and I'm playing wing so I immediately try to jump out to the point to cover my guy. They pass to him, but the centre skates laterally and takes me out knee on knee (I literally go flying, and slide along the ice away from the defenceman). He shoots and they score putting them up 4 - 3 with about a minute or a minute and a half left to go.

I get up, put my hands up and look at the ref and he goes 'don't even start' and just skates away. Pretty frustrating having the game winning goal come from the guy you're skating out to cover when you get interfered with/picked off by a knee on knee. It's not like the ref wouldn't have seen it either since that's where the puck was headed.
Yeah we just had a game where the refs completely swallowed their whistles. Our goalie covered the puck for 15 seconds and nothing. Later I am on my hands and knees and a guy speeds up some 15 feet and just completely drives into me at full speed, again nothing. That's in an 'instructional' nonchecking league. I had to retrieve my stick probably 5 times during the game because somebody rammed into me hard enough for it to go flying 20 ft.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 04:07 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
It's not like the ref wouldn't have seen it either since that's where the puck was headed.
Heh, it's surprising how often things get missed right where the puck is. Last night I was chasing a loose puck on the back check against an opposing player and in his frantic skating, his stick came up and caught me in the mouth pretty hard, so I went down. It stung something bad and I stayed on my knees, checking to make sure I had all my teeth because I could taste the blood. I looked at the ref who just shook his head, so I showed him my hand covered in blood. He said, "you're alright," and I skated to the bench. I wasn't even mad. I could only laugh that it wasn't called.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Torquenstein

What a crappy game last night!
Everyone had a bad night. Mine was even worse. Some dude just forgot how offsides work and stayed in the zone to trashtalk with an opposing player. And in the end when we were losing by 1 all the forwards stayed on the opposing blueline to cherry-pick the game winner. Of course no passes would get through, so we lost by 1. To a team of benders. I hate beer league on some nights

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:58 AM
AngryBoss

Not sure this belongs here as I don't really play in a beer league.
I play pick-up hockey every Friday with some buddies. It's a close group of guys and we have a good time.
Every now and then, some guys can't make it so we grab a few replacements.
Normally our replacements are good guys, but this week I encountered 'That Guy'.

He was already super annoying with how he'd take 8 minutes shifts (and skate around doubled-over with exhaustion but refused to come off), his constant yelling of instructions on how to make a play (despite his -34 rating on the night), and his angelic way of answering every question with a belch that would have made Will Farrel's "ELF" blush.

But just when you think he couldn't get anymore annoying, his hockey vernacular was nearly impossible to decipher.

Last edited by Trebek: 12-17-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Please don't post NSFW videos.
AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 04:41 PM
nycpunk1

Had a great first playoff game (well, for me) in a pretty tight 4-2 loss. We ran out of steam at the end, but it was a 3-2 game for most of the 3rd period. Kind of a heartbreak when they went 2 up with a few minutes on the clock. This one was vs a C league team (we're D/instructional), so it was exciting to still be in it the whole game.

As our goalie came to the bench for the extra skater, our RW came in for a change. I was halfway over the boards when I noticed 2 guys rushing off the bench. Um....I thought I was playing RW?

We came pretty close to too many men on the ice. The other 2 guys never blinked, so I nearly pulled my groin making sure we didn't get whistled.

I get that I am the newest guy on the team, but this is D League. We do drills instead of the first period every 3rd week. We're down by 2 with seconds to go. Exactly how much do you think our play will drop by putting me out there instead of someone else?

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 05:33 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post

Is anyone familiar with the Youtube show "Letterstokenny"?
Please watch the video in the spoiler (NSFW language) to get an idea of how this moron spoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDDYcyrCNE

Needless to say, he won't be welcomed back.
Haha yep. Not even funny to do that as a joke. Well maybe for about 5 seconds, before swiftly apologizing

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
Not sure this belongs here as I don't really play in a beer league.
I play pick-up hockey every Friday with some buddies. It's a close group of guys and we have a good time.
Every now and then, some guys can't make it so we grab a few replacements.
Normally our replacements are good guys, but this week I encountered 'That Guy'.

He was already super annoying with how he'd take 8 minutes shifts (and skate around doubled-over with exhaustion but refused to come off), his constant yelling of instructions on how to make a play (despite his -34 rating on the night), and his angelic way of answering every question with a belch that would have made Will Farrel's "ELF" blush.

But just when you think he couldn't get anymore annoying, his hockey vernacular was nearly impossible to decipher.
Most rec league players are oblivious to their plus/minus. As long as they score a goal or 2 it's all good. Forget the minus 4, that was the other guys fault.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:07 PM
christianbk

I play on the lowest of the low division beer league team. I started skating about a year, year and a half ago. I'm also in my 30s, so I'm not super young. I'm also a father to two young kids, so I don't necessarily want to get hurt as my body gets beat up enough already at home

I'm venting about playing teams with try-hards that are trying to replicate an NHL type experience in our beer league game.

Again, I'm new to playing hockey altogether (though I've watched the sport my entire life). My team put me on defense, which is an... interesting choice as I'm not nearly a very good skater.

My issue is playing against people who like to jostle in the front of the net like it's the NHL. Alright, I get that you want to try to screen the goalie. It's my job to not allow you to do that. I'm a smaller guy. You don't need to crosscheck me // ram me after the play because I'm actually very nicely trying to just lift your stick and lean on you a little bit.

Also love those teams that have like two / three skaters that should obviously be on a higher division team. Makes it super fun to play when you get the puck in the defensive zone, skate through everyone and score to make it 8-0.

christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Most rec league players are oblivious to their plus/minus. As long as they score a goal or 2 it's all good. Forget the minus 4, that was the other guys fault.
Plus/Minus is a super super super bad stat. They rightfully are oblivious to that. I honestly keep track of good/bad things I did in my head. Cleared a puck on a rebound? +1, stick-checked a tap-in? +1, giveaway? -1, and so on. +/- is a team stat and really shows nothing other than that you were on the ice. Somebody gives away the puck, another person doesn't skate back and the defenseman doesn't stop a 2on1? Enjoy the -1, you really must suck. Sorry, but people who look at +/- and give it any value don't get it, imo.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
nycpunk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Plus/Minus is a super super super bad stat. They rightfully are oblivious to that. I honestly keep track of good/bad things I did in my head. Cleared a puck on a rebound? +1, stick-checked a tap-in? +1, giveaway? -1, and so on. +/- is a team stat and really shows nothing other than that you were on the ice. Somebody gives away the puck, another person doesn't skate back and the defenseman doesn't stop a 2on1? Enjoy the -1, you really must suck. Sorry, but people who look at +/- and give it any value don't get it, imo.
I think maybe there's a bit of space in between your extremes here? I'd say there are a few beer league heroes with a goal or two who conveniently forget the 4 times they hung their goalie out to dry. I mean, their offensive weapons are just too good to waste with that whole two-way thing, right?

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:23 AM
windycity

I do informally keep track of my +/- during a game but only give myself a credit/demerit if I was meaningfully involved on the shift - so if I get on just as we score I don't give my self credit for it but if I made say a nice D play that leads to a rush the other way, then I do. Similarly if I make a stupid pass and it ends up costing us a goal, even if intervening factors like a Dman sucking @ss happen, then I still would count it against me. More or less as a rough barometer of how I'm doing. But hockey can be weird. I've had games where I felt I didn't play well and I'll get 2-3goals and others where I felt I played really well but didn't get on scoresheet and had a negative +/-.

I actually get more pissed about being scored on than I am happy about scoring. Ok not quite but it's close.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I try to be as good or better without the puck than I am with the puck. I take pride in the fact that I can have great games, help my team win, shut down guys who are better than me and not show up on the score sheet. The goals, assists and points will all come if you know where you're supposed to be at all times of the game. Not being on the ice for a goal against for a game feels pretty good. To me that's the attitude of a team player, being able to sacrifice your personal accomplishments for the good of the team.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post

Again, I'm new to playing hockey altogether (though I've watched the sport my entire life). My team put me on defense, which is an... interesting choice as I'm not nearly a very good skater.

My issue is playing against people who like to jostle in the front of the net like it's the NHL. Alright, I get that you want to try to screen the goalie. It's my job to not allow you to do that. I'm a smaller guy. You don't need to crosscheck me // ram me after the play because I'm actually very nicely trying to just lift your stick and lean on you a little bit.
It seems that very few people want to play D. The good news is that you should get more ice time and your skating improves WAY faster than if you were a forward, because even beginner D men have to skate in both directions and make transitions. Beginner forwards don't have to but watch forwards in the NHL, they know how to skate backwards In fact, I would stand to wager that at the end of this season that you will be a better and more complete hockey player than another beginner who was put on a wing (given similar total training effort) .

I play D and normally watch the front of the net too. I don't expect too much after the play but during you better be able to receive at least as good as you give because some guys are just jerks and the ref isn't going to catch it. If it's too physical you probably shouldn't be there because you can't count on the refs or the other team not to be DBags.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSea View Post
My complaint is not knowing any beer leagues in SoCal and not knowing how to skate. I wish I had something cool to complain about like you guys.
http://www.anaheimice.com/

Don't wait. Start...you will be glad you did.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:09 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
It seems that very few people want to play D. The good news is that you should get more ice time and your skating improves WAY faster than if you were a forward, because even beginner D men have to skate in both directions and make transitions. Beginner forwards don't have to but watch forwards in the NHL, they know how to skate backwards In fact, I would stand to wager that at the end of this season that you will be a better and more complete hockey player than another beginner who was put on a wing (given similar total training effort) .

I play D and normally watch the front of the net too. I don't expect too much after the play but during you better be able to receive at least as good as you give because some guys are just jerks and the ref isn't going to catch it. If it's too physical you probably shouldn't be there because you can't count on the refs or the other team not to be DBags.
Hmm. So, I guess it depends on your expectations as to whether I am one of the dbags or not. I love D. I love owning that crease and playing aggressively in there. When I see a guy posting up, and looking for that in coming pass I will give him a little forearm shove to the back with one arm and lift under the stick with my other stick side. Sometimes they get knocked down, but most of the time it just knocks them out of kilter and they mishandle the pass and give me a chance to make a play. A lot of guys will get pissed because I bounce them around, but my suggestion is to stay the hell away from my net then. Now, I don't spear them, I don't take shots to the head, or stuff like that. In fact, in two seasons I have NEVER drawn a penalty minute. They will get pissed at me though sometimes. I have been knocked on my ass a few times and have had some back and forth with a few guys. If they want to waste there time pushing back with me instead of playing the game, then I figure I have done my job. 99% of the time though, they just crack a smile when the whistle blows because they know it is just part of the game and fun. Defense is a mentality though. I also agree, you will get better at all parts of your skating a lot faster because D makes you use every aspect of skating -- speed, acceleration, every transition, etc.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
jazzykat

@mstrhanky: you misunderstand me. I play tough d like you. I accept that the forwards will give it back.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Here's something that angers me...

When the other team has a huge lead with seconds remaining and some chump decides to take a giant slapper in an attempt to score one more goal. Relax bud... you guys won, it's beer league, no need to pad the stats...

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:27 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

I've been out a month so far after being deliberately injured in a rec game. Ive missed about 6 games so far between my two teams. Frustrating to say the least.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:18 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Hmm. So, I guess it depends on your expectations as to whether I am one of the dbags or not. I love D. I love owning that crease and playing aggressively in there. When I see a guy posting up, and looking for that in coming pass I will give him a little forearm shove to the back with one arm and lift under the stick with my other stick side........ I also agree, you will get better at all parts of your skating a lot faster because D makes you use every aspect of skating -- speed, acceleration, every transition, etc.
D is great to play if your team knows where to be in the defensive zone (puck support) & cycles the puck in the offensive zone (gives passes back to the point).

It's no fun if you're in your zone behind the goal line w/ the puck, look up & see 3 opponents between you & your closest teammate who's @ the blueline.....

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Mossberg 50120

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
I'm on the opposite side of it tonight, but...

One of my main gripes is when referees don't show up. Tonight, I made the mistake and became one of them. I misread my schedule. I got a text at 9:46 asking me if I was at the rink yet for a 9:50 game.

I was sitting at home, drunk, with a broken down car at an auto shop.

**** me.

12-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Bolt32

I have a question for you guys. I play defense and in my league I guess you could consider me a Ringer. I pride my self on being able to move the puck up to my forwards extremely quickly, and have even been complimented as having a higher than normal Hockey IQ for playing in Beer leagues. A team-mate of mine suggested I should play in the B level league, and honestly I feel like that while I wouldn't be the best at it, I certainly wouldn't be the worse. I feel I would be about average needless to say. I just enjoyed playing on the same team that I started with 8 years ago. Literally half of the team remembers me when I first started to ice skate and was the worst player on their team. I don't shoot much, and I'm told constantly I should shoot more.

I have been best friends with the same guy since I was 6 years old, (I'm 27 now.) and he recently bought some goalie gear on the cheap and started to play pickup every Wednesday night. He is a beginner goaltender by every sense of the word, and while he is learning incredibly quickly, even faster than I thought he would. A D level team I subbed for. (I only really get on the offensive side of the ice is when my team is losing by 3, even now we are playing 500 hockey with me. I much more of a pass first guy, and if someone doesn't really have the skills to bury it, Then I don't really rack up points. Even though I consider myself an offensive defensemen.)

I nervous he is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree, but the D league team's goaltender is taking next season off so I got my buddy to fill in. Am I an D-bag for joining up with that team since I could theoretically hold my own in a league two level's higher? Even though it is to make up for my Buddy if he struggles like I predict?

Here is the stats in case you are wondering. Both teams I play Defense. I play on the Turkey Vultures D+ (that is the team with half of the guys I played with since I was 19 just learning how to ice skate.) and the Higherlanders is the team I sub for and will be joining my buddy on in the D league.

http://www.theicesportsforum.com/ind...=56&Itemid=121

So Am I a D-bag for joining?

My name is Steven Cote

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote