HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

American born players

Old
01-10-2007, 06:55 AM
TheConeman

vCash: 500
American born players

Only one American born player scoring at a point per game pace.

Chris Drury with 41 Points in 41 games.

TheConeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yah cause alot of american players are useless like Peterson. Why they had such a horrible olympic team last year.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
OMG Kick them all out of the league

slackers

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
OMG Kick them all out of the league

slackers
Nah, just Peterson, he is a 3rd line AHL lifer.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:03 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
shouldnt't there have been an OT in front this topic?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Oilerdiehard

Is it really only one?

I thought I might have wrong as I thought Brian Rolston & Scott Gomez were a PPG players. Gomez is 1 point off the pace and Rolston is 3 or 4 points off.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Captain Pilsner

american born players....

...have no heart!

having said that, they've really improved their development over the past few years, and we should prob see a higher number of them going in the upcoming drafts

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
JMoss4Life

hey smytty heart...ur the biggest rat ever!

JMoss4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty Heart View Post
...have no heart!

having said that, they've really improved their development over the past few years, and we should prob see a higher number of them going in the upcoming drafts
Their Junior team looked pretty damn good. I think there was just a downtime between them and the Weight Guerin Chelios Tkachuk etc era.

I'd give up alot for Erik Johnson. Jack too..

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:28 PM
KanadienKyle

Jason Blake is close as well. 41 pts in 42 games.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app

KanadienKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Showerhead

To take the post a little bit seriously, I remember an article from either last season or the lockout year that showed the minor-hockey registration numbers of the world's major hockey powers.

For the first time in history, USA's enrollment as a total figure (obviously not per capita) was higher than Canada's. I still have faith in Canada's development system but let that number shift even further and it may be our southern rival who is the 21st century's #1 hockey nation.

/end reality check
/end doom-and-gloom

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
To take the post a little bit seriously, I remember an article from either last season or the lockout year that showed the minor-hockey registration numbers of the world's major hockey powers.

For the first time in history, USA's enrollment as a total figure (obviously not per capita) was higher than Canada's. I still have faith in Canada's development system but let that number shift even further and it may be our southern rival who is the 21st century's #1 hockey nation.

/end reality check
/end doom-and-gloom
True, but it isn't just enrollment, it is how serious you take it. I am from a hockey town, and one year every one freaked out becuase soccer had more enrollment, but the attitude just wasn't the same, people were playign soccer for fun, not to suggest a few didn't take it seriously but it just wasn't the same. I think Canada still has more serious hockey players, which is good and bad becuase it can make it less fun. I just don't see the US catching up the Canada in terms of hockey culture. If they do then so be it, they arn't that far back, they will have a good team in a few years, the Kessels, johnsons, depietro's and hopefully Schremps will be pretty dam good.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConeman View Post
Only one American born player scoring at a point per game pace.

Chris Drury with 41 Points in 41 games.
I love Canada and wish I could spend more time there, but things like this show why no place is perfect. Why are you ripping American-born players? We're so sorry to be "attempting" to play a game that Canadians have "perfected"...I bet the Swedes, Finns, Czechs and Russians are sorry, too.

Ok, off of my soapbox...Of course Canada will always be a hockey-mad nation and continue to produce more elite players, but other nations are doing the same. It's the same deal as in olympic basketball. The USA invented the game and yet other nations have caught-up. Hockey can be thought of as the same, otherwise Canada would always win.

I'm from a city that is traditionally a football hotbed (Youngstown, OH), but we've got ourselves a Junior A team and a Central Hockey League team to try and introduce the game to more people. I'm proud to say that I played for the area's ONLY high school varsity program that competes with mostly elite Cleveland teams who have produced professional hockey talent. It's great to be a part of something like this and I hope to continue to be part of building the fanbase and youth development of the game in the city. It will never be an Oshawa/Scarborough/Thunder Bay/Red Deer, etc. but it's something. The US will NEVER match Canada in this regard...no chance. But at least we're trying down here, eh? There may not be many of us down here in the States, but we're proud of what we do and we're our own little "fraternity" of sorts.

Last edited by GSC: 01-11-2007 at 09:18 AM.
GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Showerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
True, but it isn't just enrollment, it is how serious you take it. I am from a hockey town, and one year every one freaked out becuase soccer had more enrollment, but the attitude just wasn't the same, people were playign soccer for fun, not to suggest a few didn't take it seriously but it just wasn't the same. I think Canada still has more serious hockey players, which is good and bad becuase it can make it less fun. I just don't see the US catching up the Canada in terms of hockey culture. If they do then so be it, they arn't that far back, they will have a good team in a few years, the Kessels, johnsons, depietro's and hopefully Schremps will be pretty dam good.
Good post. A country's perception of a sport and it's culture within the country will have an effect on it's overall performance in it - this is absolutely true.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
Good post. A country's perception of a sport and it's culture within the country will have an effect on it's overall performance in it - this is absolutely true.
Agreed...and as I just stated, I believe the US will NEVER match Canada's level in this regard. Enrollment may be up, but it'll never be such a huge cultural entity as it is up North. Not a chance.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
YesYesYall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
Agreed...and as I just stated, I believe the US will NEVER match Canada's level in this regard. Enrollment may be up, but it'll never be such a huge cultural entity as it is up North. Not a chance.
The 1st round in the last few drafts have been chock full of US players and they have shown that their future is going to be tremendous. Seriously, I'm already worried about Jack Johnson moving the puck up ice next Olympics.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:43 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
The 1st round in the last few drafts have been chock full of US players and they have shown that their future is going to be tremendous. Seriously, I'm already worried about Jack Johnson moving the puck up ice next Olympics.
and that's very true, but in terms of cultural significance there is no comparison to Canada hockey-wise.

Old
01-11-2007, 10:19 AM
oilerfanatic

hockey is last on the list for americans...baseball, football, basketball are all higher priorities...the climate in canada is another reason why hockey culture is more conducive here...its kind of hard to get excited about hockey in +30 weather on the beaches of florida...

plus, we have so much tradition and history of winning at the game...its a part of our national identity...i don't see it becoming anything like that in the US...it'll always be something americans will try just to experience it but not to get serious about it...

add to that we're the greatest hockey nation on earth so nobody would even want to compete with us anyways...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Double O Soul

doesnt Finland actually produce the most hockey players per capita?

Double O Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
TheConeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
I love Canada and wish I could spend more time there, but things like this show why no place is perfect. Why are you ripping American-born players? We're so sorry to be "attempting" to play a game that Canadians have "perfected"...I bet the Swedes, Finns, Czechs and Russians are sorry, too.

Ok, off of my soapbox...Of course Canada will always be a hockey-mad nation and continue to produce more elite players, but other nations are doing the same. It's the same deal as in olympic basketball. The USA invented the game and yet other nations have caught-up. Hockey can be thought of as the same, otherwise Canada would always win.

I'm from a city that is traditionally a football hotbed (Youngstown, OH), but we've got ourselves a Junior A team and a Central Hockey League team to try and introduce the game to more people. I'm proud to say that I played for the area's ONLY high school varsity program that competes with mostly elite Cleveland teams who have produced professional hockey talent. It's great to be a part of something like this and I hope to continue to be part of building the fanbase and youth development of the game in the city. It will never be an Oshawa/Scarborough/Thunder Bay/Red Deer, etc. but it's something. The US will NEVER match Canada in this regard...no chance. But at least we're trying down here, eh? There may not be many of us down here in the States, but we're proud of what we do and we're our own little "fraternity" of sorts.
Wasn't ripping American players. Just stating something I found was interesting.

TheConeman is offline   Reply With Quote