HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes @ Montréal Canadiens | 7:30 p.m. EST | TSN-Habs/RDS

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sure, but not to the point where I'm going to trumpet the virtue of guys like White and Murry over guys like Gionta and Diaz.
There is little if any virtue to be found in bottom-feeders -- every team has some but no one splits hairs over them as much as we do. Ours probably have more warts than those from other teams due to inherited mistakes and shortcomings from the previous regime.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
And that's fine and all but it completely ignores my second point. Posters here called Gorges solid in 2010. We call Markov solid now. In the same breath, we call Murray mediocre.

In 2010, a lot of us wanted Gorges to be captain. Don Cherry gushed all over him and called for him to be the next captain. So did the definition of the word solid change in three years or did media and fans alike want the next captain to be a slightly better than average defenseman who SOMETIMES is great?

I'll call it the way I see it. Posters here are so heated towards Gionta, they are literally tripping over themselves to discredit the captain, meanwhile actual facts and stats are being overlooked because "he shoots da puck at da crest all da time."
I like him fine. But if we can trade him, I wouldn't mind. But to say he isn't more than capable of playing a really "solid" 2-way game........is wrong. And by solid I mean against top opposition.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 777
A couple replied to my post so I'll just explain why I'm bored with the players I mentioned.

Desharnais - I do not believe this requires an explanation

Gionta - I'm sick of his lack of creativity and either shooting it wide and around the boards out of the zone (when there is a pass or a chance to drive the net) or shooting it right into the god damned crest. He is solid defensively, but he's just a boring player to watch.

Gorges - the ultimate boring player. Can't handle the puck, his clearing attempts are beyond pathetic and spends 90% of his time on the ice either chasing a player or blocking shots. Absolutely no creativity or skill with the puck on his stick, the team could do so much better for 3.9 million and I think his leadership is vastly overrated. I'm not saying there is anyone to replace him at this point but I'd love for Bergevin to get creative and try to find a true top 4 piece to play with Emelin with some resemblance of puck skill to allow Emelin to play safe and use his frame to change momentum with his physicality.

This team is not going to compete for a Stanley Cup with Desharnais and Gorges playing important roles on this team, although Gorges style at least converts better to the playoffs. The team needs to upgrade these players as far as I see it.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I like him fine. But if we can trade him, I wouldn't mind. But to say he isn't more than capable of playing a really "solid" 2-way game........is wrong. And by solid I mean against top opposition.
If the trade makes the team better, of course you make the trade. Any GM must do what it takes to make the team better, now and for the future.

Agreed with the last part.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
Good news.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
And that's fine and all but it completely ignores my second point. Posters here called Gorges solid in 2010. We call Markov solid now. In the same breath, we call Murray mediocre.

In 2010, a lot of us wanted Gorges to be captain. Don Cherry gushed all over him and called for him to be the next captain. So did the definition of the word solid change in three years or did media and fans alike want the next captain to be a slightly better than average defenseman who SOMETIMES is great?

I'll call it the way I see it. Posters here are so heated towards Gionta, they are literally tripping over themselves to discredit the captain, meanwhile actual facts and stats are being overlooked because "he shoots da puck at da crest all da time."
Nope.

Solid and mediocre aren't the same.

IMO a player who plays "solid" would be harder to replace if we lost him in a trade, or injury. A mediocre player is just that, mediocre. Very easy to find like a ****ing Zubat.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
A couple replied to my post so I'll just explain why I'm bored with the players I mentioned.

Desharnais - I do not believe this requires an explanation

Gionta - I'm sick of his lack of creativity and either shooting it wide and around the boards out of the zone (when there is a pass or a chance to drive the net) or shooting it right into the god damned crest. He is solid defensively, but he's just a boring player to watch.

Gorges - the ultimate boring player. Can't handle the puck, his clearing attempts are beyond pathetic and spends 90% of his time on the ice either chasing a player or blocking shots. Absolutely no creativity or skill with the puck on his stick, the team could do so much better for 3.9 million and I think his leadership is vastly overrated. I'm not saying there is anyone to replace him at this point but I'd love for Bergevin to get creative and try to find a true top 4 piece to play with Emelin with some resemblance of puck skill to allow Emelin to play safe and use his frame to change momentum with his physicality.

This team is not going to compete for a Stanley Cup with Desharnais and Gorges playing important roles on this team, although Gorges style at least converts better to the playoffs. The team needs to upgrade these players as far as I see it.
In terms of defense alone, gorges has outplayed emelin by quite a fair margin the entire time he's been a hab.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:48 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Com' on boys let's get a win before the pre-Christmas road trip.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In terms of defense alone, gorges has outplayed emelin by quite a fair margin the entire time he's been a hab.
I think if you look at it in terms of clearing the zone and having the ability to play along the boards Emelin is the far superior player. Gorges has better positioning in terms of shot blocking but his inability to play with the puck on his stick really inhibits him from being a top end defensive player. He's limited to trying to clear the puck off the boards and his shot is so weak that it rarely gets out.

I honestly don't have a problem with Gorges, I think he's a solid NHLer and has a role on the club. However, he's seen by many as more than he is getting too much ice time. He would be much more effective on the bottom pairing with a RHD with size and a decent first pass.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Good news.
I agree. Bork needs to bring it!

Old
12-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

MT has spoken ...

"C'mon guys, c'mon, let's go, let's go!!!"

Old
12-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
This thread is...

Cowboy Price approved!
And mini-cowboy DD approved ...

Old
12-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Bob Cole

No way we win this one. Ribeiro first star guaranteed.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
There is little if any virtue to be found in bottom-feeders -- every team has some but no one splits hairs over them as much as we do. Ours probably have more warts than those from other teams due to inherited mistakes and shortcomings from the previous regime.
I find our "bottom feeders" are pretty darn solid. Guys like Moen Prust White and Bournival are high end for 4th line guys. Our issue up front is right now we don't have 1 or 2 top 20 scorers so everybody has to pull their weight. Right now a pile are struggling in December...

Briere 1 assist -5 in 8 games
Gallagher 1 assist -3 in 8 games
Bournival 0 points -4 in 7 games
Eller 1-1-2 -2 in 8 games
Markov and Subban 0-2-2 each in 8 games.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I find our "bottom feeders" are pretty darn solid. Guys like Moen Prust White and Bournival are high end for 4th line guys. Our issue up front is right now we don't have 1 or 2 top 20 scorers so everybody has to pull their weight. Right now a pile are struggling in December...

Briere 1 assist -5 in 8 games
Gallagher 1 assist -3 in 8 games
Bournival 0 points -4 in 7 games
Eller 1-1-2 -2 in 8 games
Markov and Subban 0-2-2 each in 8 games.
We probably have one of the best 4th lines in the league when not anchored down by parros.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I find our "bottom feeders" are pretty darn solid.
Comment was about the Giontas and Diaz from a figurative POV, not Prust and Bournival or who specifically happens to be in the 4th line right now. If the argument is about 4th liners in general, I wouldn't qualify them the same way.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Tyson

Quote:
We probably have one of the best 4th lines in the league when not anchored down by parros.
While the 19 year old is not setting the world on fire, he has become our most consistent forward and the main reason that I watch the Habs

Old
12-17-2013, 05:37 PM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
Gkad RB is back in. Cant hurt adding him. If he has one of his good nights tonight id give Bourque-Eller-Briere some time. Briere needs big players for space and bourque and eller had chemistry near the end of last year up until Eller got hurt

Old
12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
I can't wait to see Gionta's slapshot tonight! I'm so excited.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Varlan

Quote:
Not sure flailing around playing goalie counts as defence. Pretty sure it just winds up screening the goalie or resulting in a deflection.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I can't wait to see Gionta's slapshot tonight! I'm so excited.
I'm more excited to see him put it 45 feet over the net from a foot and a half out!

Old
12-17-2013, 05:43 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I'm more excited to see him put it 45 feet over the net from a foot and a half out!
I might just be able to catch one of his slapshots. And I'll be in the Molson Ex Zone.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
Not sure flailing around playing goalie counts as defence. Pretty sure it just winds up screening the goalie or resulting in a deflection.
Then why do we allow far less goals and shots against when he's on the ice as opposed to Emelin, hmm?

Old
12-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 564
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/prev...real-canadiens

The Coyotes have not beaten the Habs since 1998.

12-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Gary320

well theres the jynx.

Closed Thread