HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney's Remarks on Personnel

Old
01-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Renney's Remarks on Personnel

Tom Renney made some interesting remarks on the nature of his personnel choices in Sam Weinman's blog today. Bear in mind that this is 2 days after the loss to the Isles.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

"Im probably guilty of giving guys another chance to get it right, and I assume responsibility for what is in front of me as a team. Im not one of those guys that goes to management and says, We need players. Get me better. ...
I believe we can win with this group. I believe we can get better..."

He also expands on the mechanics of promoting players from AHL, etc.

I'm curious about the board's take on this.

There is such a thing as exessive patience. There also comes a point where loyalty to individual players becomes detrimental to the team as a whole. When is the right time to stop giving extra chances and abandon ideas that haven't worked?

I just get a sense from Renney's remarks that he's being overly cautious at this point. A season could slip away due to inordinate faith in players who've failed before. I guess the same could be said for an inconsistent PP where nothing ever changes either.

Am I reading too much into this? I haven't called for a Renney firing before, nor am I looking for it now. I can't think of more viable candidates and I might just be making something out of nothing. Perhaps I'm overreacting due to the timing, an ugly loss still fresh in my mind. Renney's words just struck me as something I'd ideally want to hear from a coach in the minors. More suitable to a place where player development is paramount and winning comes second.

Opinions?

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Tom Renney made some interesting remarks on the nature of his personnel choices in Sam Weinman's blog today. Bear in mind that this is 2 days after the loss to the Isles.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

There is such a thing as exessive patience. There also comes a point where loyalty to individual players becomes detrimental to the team as a whole. When is the right time to stop giving extra chances and abandon ideas that haven't worked?

Opinions?

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. Look what is happening with malik playing over Pock tonight. Perfect example of it

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Fletch

There is...

and there isn't excessive patience. It all boils down to being able to effectively evaluate talent and situations. If Montreal waited on a guy like Leclair, perhaps it would've paid off. And there are tons of examples where patience paid off. And of course there are examples of when you gave a guy too many chances. Patience is an art, not a science. Evaluating talent and situations is an art, not a science. Knowing when to say when is key, but there's not hard and fast rule as to when that is. In Renney's case, it's not so much patience, but perhaps ignorance, or a lack of cojones.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Atleast he is taking responisbility for his actions or lack there of, it will be intresting to see what if anything he does from here on in.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Atleast he is taking responisbility for his actions or lack there of, it will be intresting to see what if anything he does from here on in.
Renney can talk all he wants. Only 2 vets he will bench is Nylander and Kasper. He wont bench Malik, Hossa, Hall. He will bench Prucha over Hossa if it were up to him. If Hollweg was not as physical as he was, hed get benched too.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I agree, but Malik doesnt need to be benched, he needs to be traded or put on waivers lol.

Old
01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He definitely has a lot of patience with certain vets. And I think it's because of what some posters on this board have said about Renney--he plays "not to lose." That's why he keeps a guy like Hossa in the lineup. He doesn't score but at least he's not making rookie mistakes that a guy like Dawes might be prone to (I'm not saying Dawes would be 100% likely to make a lot of mistakes or that he isn't intelligent, but I just think Renney feels Hossa is the "safer" player).

But that's also where I disagree with him. I'd take Dawes and his potential flubs over a guy like Hossa in the lineup because I think Dawes has more potential to help this team over the course of the season than Hossa does. Sure, Dawes might get stripped of the puck or have a bad giveaway, but he also might put the puck in the net more than once in 42 games.

But Renney will keep Hossa in the lineup because he has good size and can cycle the puck a bit in the offensive zone before passing it off to a linemate, losing it to the other team's defense or not shooting. All this from a guy that projects to score 2 goals this season.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
I agree, but Malik doesnt need to be benched, he needs to be traded or put on waivers lol.
he should get his *** kicked by Shannahan maybe that will teach him not to slack off. Believe it or not, Malik has actually 3 fights in the NHL.

2003-04 season http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2004
2001-02 season http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2002

in 01-02 he fought Rob Neidermayer and Billy Tibbetts

in 03-04 he fought Travis Moen who is a tough guy and had 16 fights that season.

Old
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
shoothepuck

Talk is cheap, and Renney shows little action after his speaches. Tonight is a prime example, If there ever was a game to use to set examples, (the loss to the isles) is up there, and the best Tom does, is sit Pock and play Rachunek.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Talk is cheap, and Renney shows little action after his speaches. Tonight is a prime example, If there ever was a game to use to set examples, (the loss to the isles) is up there, and the best Tom does, is sit Pock and play Rachunek.
i dont believe anything Renney says.

Old
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
he should get his *** kicked by Shannahan maybe that will teach him not to slack off. Believe it or not, Malik has actually 3 fights in the NHL.

in 03-04 he fought Travis Moen who is a tough guy and had 16 fights that season.
Wow, I cant imagine him fighting, thats like seeing Ghandi go pop a cap in someone's a$$.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:38 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
Wow, I cant imagine him fighting, thats like seeing Ghandi go pop a cap in someone's a$$.
My guess is he lost badly in every fight. If someone has video, please post it, it would be fun to watch

Old
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
In Renney's case, it's not so much patience, but perhaps ignorance, or a lack of cojones.
The possibility that it's the latter with Renney, or some sort of misguided loyalty, is what concerns me. Patience with a guy like LeClair back then would've been understandable. We have our own case with Tjutin. Letting him play through mistakes is a sensible course of action.

What baffles me is the infinite latitude given to an older guy, living off last year's achievements like Malik. Or the latitude extended a new guy like Hall, somebody with a track record of NHL play. Unlike the former, he doesn't even have last year's laurels to rest on. What irritates me most, is a lack of defined pattern. Niemenen and Poti were given pretty short ropes last year. Rachunek, Prucha, Hossa have all been benched this year. What am I not seeing here?

My fear is that by the time Renney's done with giving everything yet another chance to work, the season will be done.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post

WOW so he can play somewhat physical, too bad he hasnt shown it since he's been a Ranger.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
WOW so he can play somewhat physical, too bad he hasnt shown it since he's been a Ranger.
being physical and fighting are 2 different things. I dont think he has alot of hits while he was with the Canes and Canucks.