HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we carry Briere this summer ?

Old
01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
I like Briere but I think Drury is much more along the lines of what we're looking for in a second line center.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Hmmm, Drury or Briere. I'd go with Drury. I think he's better fundamentally in terms of defence and face-offs even if he gives up a little a flash and dazzle to Briere -- though the difference between the two isn't really that huge.

Also, I think Drury could be a superb so-called 3rd line center if Grabovski grabs a spot next year, whereas I can't see either Grabovski or Briere (or Koivu for that matter) being asked to play that role. In other words, Grabovski could be our very own Briere-style player, for much, much cheaper, whereas Drury would be a solid addition no matter what.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:24 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Hmmm, Drury or Briere. I'd go with Drury. I think he's better fundamentally in terms of defence and face-offs even if he gives up a little a flash and dazzle to Briere -- though the difference between the two isn't really that huge.

Also, I think Drury could be a superb so-called 3rd line center if Grabovski grabs a spot next year, whereas I can't see either Grabovski or Briere (or Koivu for that matter) being asked to play that role. In other words, Grabovski could be our very own Briere-style player, for much, much cheaper, whereas Drury would be a solid addition no matter what.
right on the money bud

Drury seems like a LOT more a Gainey type of player then Briere ever will.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

For the right price, Drury would be an amazing addition.

Latendresse-Koivu and Higgins-Drury would be great hardworking duos.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
right on the money bud

Drury seems like a LOT more a Gainey type of player then Briere ever will.
The problem is there are more chances that Briere accept to sign with the habs...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
I'd rather keep Sourray and Markov.
I'm with you... should one of these guys walk... yes... he is guilty of theatrics on occasion and dirty play but that's part of the attraction... I prefer this type to the finese ghost

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
The problem is there are more chances that Briere accept to sign with the habs...
nice problem, I agree, take the guys that want to play here not the guys that like big money... not saying Drury is that type... in fact i think it's the opposite... however to get him to come to Mtl we'd have to overpay... if he's not a Sabre, he's a Ranger, Bruin, or Islander.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
hockey_nut

i'd love to see both markov & souray back - although i think only 1 stays

as for briere... not bad... i'd rather have drury... or even make a play at datsyuk (but i think hes an rfa)

and we must sign johnson, as well...

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:47 PM
bjac

Drury is more financially realistic... I am a huge fan of the guy, hes clutch, has hands, can shoot, can play pp, pk ect.... Drury is a leader and would be a better addition to the team than Brier because he would cost less allowing the Habs to resign Markov, and/or Souray. Drury is almost a perfect fit for the 2nd line center that the Habs are looking for.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Drury is more financially realistic... I am a huge fan of the guy, hes clutch, has hands, can shoot, can play pp, pk ect.... Drury is a leader and would be a better addition to the team than Brier because he would cost less allowing the Habs to resign Markov, and/or Souray. Drury is almost a perfect fit for the 2nd line center that the Habs are looking for.
i'd rather go after drury, as well... i like briere, just think drury would fit better

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Ghost of Saku

It is my conviction that whoever feels they need to go to arbitration to get top-dollar would never sign for less money in tax-heavy Montreal.

I will give myself a vasectomy the day Briere signs with the Habs.

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Talent Analyst

Me too I would prefer Drury , but I think that the Sabres will keep him . Briere was surprise to got 5 millions this year and I think we could sign him at 5 millions 3 year .

Briere would be perfect in a Habs uniform . Media love him , people love him and he perform in a high level . Perfect gentleman and a great leader .

Does someone know the salary of each habs player or a site who say that ?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Me too I would prefer Drury , but I think that the Sabres will keep him . Briere was surprise to got 5 millions this year and I think we could sign him at 5 millions 3 year .

Briere would be perfect in a Habs uniform . Media love him , people love him and he perform in a high level . Perfect gentleman and a great leader .

Does someone know the salary of each habs player or a site who say that ?
http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I think Briere would dive in if a contract were offered. With a free falling market, it's easy to see guys going down easy to the big US cities, but if Briere keeps on embellishing his stats, maybe we could spear-head an initiative to get him to Montreal.
I believe his acquisition wouldn't be a flop.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
madbox

I'd go into somewhat of a mourning period if Briere ever wore the CH. Can't stand the whiney, diving, puke. But that's just me.

As for Drury, now there's a guy I'd love to see on this team. However I did read his wife has a nice dis-like going on for Canada...

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Boulette Cannon

*crosses fingers*

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Can? No. Also, unlikely to happen. Case of wheel-spinning to discuss.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
With all our player UFA , can you see us paying Souray , Markov AND Briere ? With the cap raising and Bonk , Johnson , Niinimaa and Aebischer who'll be UFA , do you think we can sign him ?

Grabovsky , Kostitsyn , Côté (Emelin) and Halak or Danis can remplace our UFA , but not Markov and Souray .

You guys think we can carry them ?
Maybe if we trade Kovalev it would free up enough cash. But keep him for this year.

Grabosky will be ready by next year. Signing Briere may just stall him

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:41 PM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I think Briere would dive....
With a free falling market, it's easy to see guys going down easy
but if Briere keeps on embellishing

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Habs

I hope not. His stats will just plummet upon arrival, as is the case with most free agents we acquire.

I'd rather spend the money on a little more size, grit, on the wings.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
ludger

Last night on tsn , I saw a short clip of Briere with his kids and he conversed in english with them. this leads me to believe that if Mrs Briere is American perhaps Briere to Montreal is not such a sure thing because maybe Montreal is not on the top of her list. Remember Shanahan

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
Last night on tsn , I saw a short clip of Briere with his kids and he conversed in english with them. this leads me to belive that if Mrs Briere is American perhaps Briere to Montreal is not such a sure thing because he is Quebequois.
A quebec born player who does not want to play in Montreal, I'd never thought I'd see the day.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
A quebec born player who does not want to play in Montreal, I'd never thought I'd see the day.
Sarcasm right? But if not, I'll say Patrice Bergeron.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
guapo23

Despite Briere's stats I do not want him on the Habs.
His spear on Ovechkin, backing down from the fight, whining in the media, reputation for diving etc..

We got rid of one prima donna baby when we got rid of Ribeiro.
Do we really need another ?

But this is all irrelevant : we will not see a Quebec-born superstar coming to the habs in a trade. None of them have the guts to try and play here. They prefer cushy US cities with big tax breaks and fans that go easy on them even when they suck.

Of course they will say in the media that they want to play here, but every time one is a UFA, they somehow never sign here.

Montreal is a great city for quebecois role players like Begin & Bouillon. It is not so much fun for talented superstars : a lot of pressure & media scrutiny.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Astaroth

I suppose it's my being a soccer player but I don't really care if he dives or not, it's just a tactic. If it works, it works. I only have a problem if it is detrimental to the team.

The spear I could live without but he doesn't mind getting even so that's good, it shows emotion.

I think if we could get him for the right price it would us instant contenders. Realistically though Drury would be better and we need to keep Markov at any price and Souray for 5 and under.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote